It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Music lyrics

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   
i think they're getting worse every year, don't you? in the 80s and 90s, they at least veiled the meanings, now it's just like "let's get drunk".

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Or something like this

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d059bac55bb0.png[/atsimg]

[edit on 15/5/10 by sandri_90]

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I would say certain Genre's get worse.
While real artists music gets better every time they put out an album.
For example Tool, Puscifer.
Vs.
Angry music which brings you down.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I know what you mean.
The rappers spout," killing cops, robbing people, and raping women."
Heavy metal encourages anti-Christian attitudes (No Religion) as well as social insurection. It's all part of the plan to divide everyone from everyone else.
Just read, you'll probably get some of their posts here in your thread.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I disagree.... Try what has been voted the best group on earth MUSE.... Check out their new album and lyrics..... Not sold out, MUSE.. Uprising...Watch.. ~The NWO....

In fact their WHOLE album called "Resistance"... Then check their previous albums... They ALL decry the NWO even callling our leaders reptillians..... As I have said they have been voted consistently the worlds best live band.... Check them out..

[edit on 15-5-2010 by ElvenQueen]

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   
btw, i'm talking about mainstream music, not indie music.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Donnie Darko

I'm with you on that notion!

It seems todays music is youth and beauty oriented, which in itself isn't so bad but the fact that it has become the formula\recipe for new mainstream music(that is played on the radio), is troubling and purely seeking profit, imo.
I watched a GREAT Documentary on this subject called Before The Music Dies, on hulu, and I would HIGHLY recommend it to any music fan. It's about the record industries play in the matter.

BEFORE THE MUSIC DIES (MUST SEE)
www.hulu.com...

Bill Hicks on Playing From The Heart
www.youtube.com...

One of my favorites lyricist is Mahnard Keenan of Tool

Lateralus
Black then white are all I see in my infancy.
Red and yellow then came to be, reaching out to me.
Lets me see.
As below, so above and beyond, I imagine
Drawn beyond the lines of reason.
Push the envelope. Watch it bend.

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.
Withering my intuition, missing opportunities and I must
Feed my will to feel my moment drawing way outside the lines.

Black then white are all I see in my infancy.
Red and yellow then came to be, reaching out to me.
Lets me see there is so much more and
Beckons me to look through to these infinite possibilities.
As below, so above and beyond, I imagine
Drawn outside the lines of reason.
Push the envelope. Watch it bend.

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.
Withering my intuition leaving all these opportunities behind.

Feed my will to feel this moment urging me to cross the line.
Reaching out to embrace the random.
Reaching out to embrace whatever may come.

I embrace my desire to
Feel the rhythm, to feel connected enough to step aside and weep like a widow
To feel inspired, to fathom the power, to witness the beauty,
To bathe in the fountain,
To swing on the spiral of our divinity and still be a human.

With my feet upon the ground I lose myself
Between the sounds and open wide to suck it in,
I feel it move across my skin.
I'm reaching up and reaching out.
I'm reaching for the random or what ever will bewilder me.
And following our will and wind we may just go where no one's been.
We'll ride the spiral to the end and may just go where no one's been.

Spiral out. Keep going, going...

More Tool Lyrics
www.angelfire.com...

Peace

[edit on 15-5-2010 by speculativeoptimist]

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Donnie Darko

I couldn't agree with you more. About the only modern band I like is Nickelback. But on the other hand, I don't listen to modern radio so I don't really know what else is out there.

I stopped listening to new rock in the very early 90's and I turned to Country because the music and lyrics, especially the lyrics, reminded me of 70's rock.

The way people are putting out more and more nonsensicle jibberish and the fact that more and more people actually listen to it, makes me wonder about the theory of de-evolution.

Remember Devo in the 80's?

It all seemed to go downhill from there.

Peace

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Your Elven Queen orders you to check MUSE out..... Im not being payed for that btw.... Just answering the OP....

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Dont get me started on these manufactured freaks that clog the airwaves these days.

At least credible rappers write there own lyrics whether you agree with the material or not. I blame X factor and Britains got talent. Shows like that which fool people in to believing they've got more talent than they have.

Record labels are also to blame. In the search to latch on to a trend they have no qualms in rustleing up the most bonine BS that they the mind can handle.

I agree with the previouse poster about muse by the way. He's definately one of our generations guitar heroes. Great songs.

[edit on 15-5-2010 by KrypticCriminal]

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by ElvenQueen

muse is really awsome, great lyrics, great music

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   
most mainstream music - especially mainstream pop and hip-hop, have lost tremendous substance over the years. The only thing they have really gotten better at is sexual innuendos, which I will say, have gotten more creative adapting to the changes with society. Some may say that this is not a plus, but it is creative and you can't nay say everything.

Don't know much how this may be a conspiracy, but society has been over exposed to entertainment and stimulation for the last half century. People will find that those things are more important and relevant to their lives. So music that congratulates it, is in result going to be popular.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by sandri_90

Your right on target!
Had to give you a star.
Don't get me wrong, it's not about on group of people or another.
An example is Elvis, some of his gospel music is still the best around. But he stepped on to the slippery slope of perversion, and fell. TPTB and NWO realize that they couldn't cause the down fall of the world right away, they did it nefariously, one bit at a time. This way each generation that was subjected to their immorality, would start at deeper levels of the slippery slope. There is an old story about how you eat an elephant?: one bite at a time!

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Donnie Darko
i think they're getting worse every year, don't you? in the 80s and 90s, they at least veiled the meanings, now it's just like "let's get drunk".

You bring up a good point about the 80s, because that was the decade that gave us the PMRC hearings. The backlash and response to that hideous dog and pony show changed lyrics for the worse. The rebellious response seems to have come first from rap music with bands like 2 Live Crew and N.W.A. whose lyrics were defined by intentionally saying/singing the most shocking or offensive stuff intentionally. The novelty sold millions of records and soon other artists and genres got in on the action. Before this era, lyrics tended to be more poetic about sex and indulgent things in order to assure radio airplay. Other factors came into play since then to bring lyrics to the base level they're at today, but as others have pointed out some of the more cerebral artists are quite clever and poetic with their lyrics and art.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I have to admit I'm not so much interested in the lyrics as I am the tune. Love a good melody. Something complicated, or heavy, brooding, exciting, mythical. That includes classical stuff.

I agree with the OP though, a lot of today's music I find revolting. These people are loaded with the world at their feet yet all they sing about is whinging and backstabbing and how depressed they are, and their bitches.
Gimme some Tool, Rush, Marley, Plant, Rammstein, and Elgar's Cello concerto to get my blood going. They're all genuine artists. And you can throw some Muse in there too.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Not all music lyrics are going this way. Maybe MTV etc are pushing mainstream rubbish in our faces to programme the youth, but there are thousands of excellent musicians out there with amazing lyrics too.

Just get your head out of the mainstream and search and you will find some great stuff.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by jox1234

Damn Right...... I hope our American cousins take note.... Their lyrics is the hope of them waking up...

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   
The corporate mainstream is all about money and consumerism. The new Amaerican Dream is to be part of the billionaire class, since the middle class is disappearing.

I find these lyrics by Lily Allen interesting. Supposed to be sarcastic? I suppose, but really? The video has a checkerboard floor.
Hedonism is in. We've got to be good consumers and think alike; now don't we. It's good for business.

I want to be rich and I want lots of money
I don’t care about clever I don’t care about funny
I want loads of clothes and f### loads of diamonds
I heard people die while they are trying to find them

The Fear Lyrics

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by wigit
I have to admit I'm not so much interested in the lyrics as I am the tune. Love a good melody. Something complicated, or heavy, brooding, exciting, mythical. That includes classical stuff.

I agree with the OP though, a lot of today's music I find revolting. These people are loaded with the world at their feet yet all they sing about is whinging and backstabbing and how depressed they are, and their bitches.
Gimme some Tool, Rush, Marley, Plant, Rammstein, and Elgar's Cello concerto to get my blood going. They're all genuine artists. And you can throw some Muse in there too.

I think that is one of the duality controversies in music. Many people will like a song and only know 4 words of the lyrics, why then? the entire song is about negativity even flat out ignorance, so why do you like the song? That is the part they like, but sometimes the person doing the vocals - even the tone of their voice complements the song very well, so they can't say the wish the lyrics to go away either.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   
So your telling me that this is bad music
and while your there make sure to check out there other stuff.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join