It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Music lyrics

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   
man music wont exist in the future imo if they continue they way its going now, all they do is sellout and blow up when they sell records

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by alienseeker

Well, "Land of Confusion" is remake of the original 80's song by Genesis. I think the op was referring to stuff more recent. You kinda validated his point.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Yes it's a remake but their other stuff is not and they are one the most real bands out there right now. when they sing you can feel the emotion in their words.

[edit on 15-5-2010 by alienseeker]

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   
You have to understand that not all music exists within the mainstream.

The mainstream has destroyed every genre of music that exists. A FEW mainstream groups haven't been destroyed yet but it will happen eventually.

The biggest genre that has been affected is hip-hop. Listen to any underground rapper today or any real rapper before 2000, and you'll notice a staunch difference compared to the mainstream hip hop of today. Today, it is all about bitches, money, clubs and drugs. Not that any of these are bad persay but most mainstream hip hop today is solely about these themes and nothing more. Compare that to say, KRS-One

As I said, there are few mainstream groups (like MUSE) who still create art with messages but to find real music you gotta find it.

But yeah, I've been fed up with mainstream music for the most part. That and the sound I'm interested in now is no where near mainstream nor will it ever be.

To end this post, I'll just leave a song I'm sure most have heard, but the lyrics speak as true today as they did when it was written. Bob Marley was truly a visionary.

Get up, stand up: stand up for your rights!
Get up, stand up: don't give up the fight!

Preacher man, don't tell me,
Heaven is under the earth.
I know you don't know
What life is really worth.
It's not all that glitters is gold;
'Alf the story has never been told:
So now you see the light, eh!
Stand up for your rights. come on!

Most people think,
Great god will come from the skies,
Take away everything
And make everybody feel high.
But if you know what life is worth,
You will look for yours on earth:
And now you see the light,
You stand up for your rights. jah!

Get up, stand up! (jah, jah! )
Stand up for your rights! (oh-hoo! )
Get up, stand up! (get up, stand up! )
Don't give up the fight! (life is your right! )
Get up, stand up! (so we can't give up the fight! )
Stand up for your rights! (lord, lord! )
Get up, stand up! (keep on struggling on! )
Don't give up the fight! (yeah! )

We sick an' tired of-a your ism-skism game -
Dyin' 'n' goin' to heaven in-a Jesus' name, lord.
We know when we understand:
Almighty god is a living man.
You can fool some people sometimes,
But you can't fool all the people all the time.
So now we see the light (what you gonna do?),
We gonna stand up for our rights! (yeah, yeah, yeah! )

So you better:
Get up, stand up! (in the morning! git it up! )
Stand up for your rights! (stand up for our rights! )
Get up, stand up!
Don't give up the fight! (don't give it up, don't give it up! )
Get up, stand up! (get up, stand up! )
Stand up for your rights! (get up, stand up! )
Get up, stand up! (... )
Don't give up the fight! (get up, stand up! )
Get up, stand up! (... )
Stand up for your rights!
Get up, stand up!
Don't give up the fight! /fadeout/

You notice the last verse? I'll emphasize for some of ya.

We sick an' tired of-a your ism-skism game -
Dyin' 'n' goin' to heaven in-a Jesus' name, lord.
We know when we understand:
Almighty god is a living man.
You can fool some people sometimes,
But you can't fool all the people all the time.
So now we see the light (what you gonna do?),
We gonna stand up for our rights! (yeah, yeah, yeah! )

Sick and tired of your ism-skism game? That sounds like divide and conquer!

You can fool some people sometimes but not all the people all the time? That sounds like people are waking up!

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by alienseeker

Fair enough. I've always been a fan of Disturbed. They have enough original stuff that they do not have to mimic. And, the new version was well worth it! So, i agree with you and the OP.

In the eighties, people feared that Rock was dead, because Disco was becoming so popular. So yeah, whatever the vulgar masses are up to, there are always going to be the stuff that lives on. In a similar vein, i heard that 90% of all popular fiction does not survive.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ogbert

Well how could the fiction survive when you have the mainstream promoting things like.....twilight....i hate even thinking about that one. And im glad we agree about disturbed.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by alienseeker
reply to post by ogbert

twilight

Excuse me, but I must request you not mention the trash known as the....well, you already said it.

See, I have a severe allergy against this...T word...I already threw up a little in my throat reading your post.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by SpectreDC

I know im pretty much the same way myself but i had to say it because it is the prefect example of what popular fiction has become today.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Donnie Darko

i think they're getting worse every year, don't you?

My Grandfather used to ridicule and whip my father for listening to the Beatles. My grandfather thought the lyrics and the sound of the Beatles was utter trash and a disgrace to all that is good.

My father ridiculed me for listening to "trendy in the now" music. He actually kicked my but. Literally.

When you are first introduced to music, it sort of makes a cookie cutter effect in your brain on how music should be like. It has to do with memory while turning into an adult.

What I fear is that my son is going to be 17 one day and listen to twisted sounds of nails on a chalkboard and be totally exited about it, and I WILL SAY TO MY SON.... "That music is trash, it is garbage, how can you even listen to that &^%$. That is not music, Drowning pool and SlipKnot was real music, how can you even function listening to this, it is just noise !!!

Then he will say unto me, " Sound familiar Dad? "

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   

reply to post by ogbert

Well how could the fiction survive when you have the mainstream promoting things like.....twilight....i hate even thinking about that one. And im glad we agree about disturbed.

The fact that muse is on the twilight sound track, keeps me from being able to listen to them.

I guess you could say that I am a bit of a music snob. Its nearly impossible to find music I like now days. A song must have talent, great vocals and intelligent lyrics for me to be able to listen to it. I also prefer the 90's punk sound and since most of the punk sound has more in the direction of emo, its nearly impossible for me to find stuff that I like.

I absolutely hate main stream hip-hop. I have yet to hear a hip-hop song that doesn't depict women as nothing more than brainless whores.

I would actually like Disturbed if it wasn't for the vocals. not that they are bad, just not my style. I enjoyed the instrumentals in the video posted.
I like the vocals and the lyrics in the Lilly Allen one but not the instrumentals go figure, I am doomed all the way around when it comes to finding music I can enjoy.

[edit on 15-5-2010 by calstorm]

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   
You can do what I did and just quit mainstream musical altogether.

Don't listen to radio.
Don't watch/listen to MTV or VH1.
Don't get sirius either.

I've got a great collection of music I like to listen to... so I listen to it.

Oh, and you can create your own. Did you know that?

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   

reply to post by SpectreDC

I know im pretty much the same way myself but i had to say it because it is the prefect example of what popular fiction has become today.

I think that garbage needs its own conspiracy thread. How on earth did bad writing that promotes, pedophilia, domestic violence, and paints women as helpless and brainless get so popular?

Between Lady gaga and toilet

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   
This question covers lyrics in songs as well as fictional reading and movies.

I have always wondered what lyricists/authors intend when they use repetitive profanity. It's getting difficult for me to find new material to read that doesn't cannon-blast me with the f-word. I can go for weeks without hearing anybody in my life use that word. Why then does an author include that in the vocabulary of multiple characters? It's like hitting a speed bump.

It seems to me just to be lazy writing.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   
May I make a suggestion.

Since I agree with the OP, and many here seem to be leaning in the same direction... that today's contemporary commercial genre's of music basically lack inspiration, originality, and above all else...talent;

...have you considered exploring older music that upto now, you have ignored? For instance, Graham Parsons or eccectic Jazz or the old Staxx Collection of Southern Soul.

Mostly what I listen to now are sub-genre or niche musics...old blues and r&b, old unknown 70s rock that sounds more country...Byrds, the Dead, old Eagles....even classical..like Wagner and Copeland. Old CS&N can't be beat for harmony, EmersonLake&Palmer.

There are tons of great music that many of you...and me, have missed. Do some digging... be suprised at what you find.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Older music is wonderful, but there is something to be said for the anticipation of having your favorite artist release new music. With older music you know that that artist will not be producing anything new.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by quisoa
It seems to me just to be lazy writing.

Heh, made me chuckle a bit... I had an English teacher at one point in my life who would always always always say "cursing is an unsophisticated mind's way of expressing itself" when someone cursed in class.

Too true.

And star to the good member who advised going BACKWARDS in time to find good music... good tip.

The light is long
The sun is low
I'm riding fast across this dusty road
But I don't want to be
No, I don't want to be
Above the ridge an eagle flies
In lazy circles in the western skies
I want to fly with him
I want to walk the spirit trail.
I've seen them come
I've seen them go
Off to the oilfields and rodeos
To find a better way
They leave their native soil
But I can hear a different song
The drum within my heart is beating strong
I want to follow it
I've got to walk the spirit trail.

Let every creature I see
Be a brother and a friend to me
Let every step that I take
Leave the footprints of a warrior

- exert from the Spirit Trail by Dan Fogelberg

^^^^ Now this dude was a good songwriter... but he's left us

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 12:58 AM
link   
I doubt I am the only one on ATS who has written their own music/lyrics.
It isnt impossible you just want to do it and spend time on your craft.
Nothing beats putting in a cD in the car and hearing yourself sing and communicate.
Ok I have lost a few friends doing this, but hey what did they know.
Create and be connected to the river of creativity... .
Headphones are great though if you wish not to be the ultimate muso loner.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by ImaNutter

Dan Fogelburg has not left us. He got PO'd at the labels and is living comfortably on his ranch. He did a PBS special about two years ago. Also, he made a video for Apple's GarageBand on how to play his stuff in 2009.

reply to post by Dr Conspire

I doubt I am the only one on ATS who has written their own music/lyrics.

That's quite an assumption, especially in a thread about lyrics.

[edit on 16-5-2010 by ogbert]

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I think what we see happening these days is that they're selling crap where we used to get quality. There has always been good music and bad. They used to sift the bad out, now they make money off it. It's like everything else. Furniture used to be built to last, now it falls to bits in weeks/months. That is if you're one of the common people and that's all you can afford.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Well, you can either go back in time to find good music, or you can dig deeply and find good music today.

This is an example of some of what I listen to daily now. Genre wise it's hard to pin down but it can be described as psychedelic ambient/dub/world music/chill out. And this is one of the more simpler explanations. A lot of the music related to this borrows from nearly every genre of music into a cluster# of tranquility.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join