It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Census taker

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
A census worker visited my neighbor about a week ago asking for information on me and he refused because he didn't feel right giving away that information. He said she, the census taker, was very rude and pushy and acted like my wife and I were some kind of outlaws. He finally just shut the door on her.

She left a notice of visit about 2 or 3 weeks ago stating that she would return in "a day or two". Neither my wife or myself heard from her again. Today she knocked on my door and I answered. I asked her why she was bothering my neighbors instead of returning to my house as her note stated. She replied, "I have the right to". I then asked her to be courteous and she said that goes fro both of us.

I told her we mailed in the form, but that I would answer the same questions again. Her first question was "what race are you?". I answered, "human, do you mean ethnicity?...I'm just kidding"

She stated that she would mark me down as refused and then walked off. 30 minutes later she is still sitting in front of my house. This girl cant be more than 20 years old and obviously did not learn from any training she may have received.

Apart from peoples paranoia regarding the census how do they expect to get people to trust them when their representatives act this way?

I already called her office and complained and I am not off to contact my Congressman.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Ah yes, the census. I filled it out like a good little girl

I sent it in and all that good stuff.
About two weeks ago (I had just gotten home and was making my kids lunch) there was a knock on my front door as well as a ringing of the doorbell at the same time. It was loud. The knock itself was like a 'cop-knock'. I was going to ignore it but then I figured "nope, I'm answering it and let whoever is on the other side know a little something about respect."
However, when I opened the door there were two old ladies standing there. It completely caught me off guard. I asked if I could help them to which they replied they were census workers going around for those who hadn't filled out their forms. I informed them I had indeed filled mine out and that I had actually just moved in here to this address on April 12th. I had to give them the same information all over again. It was the most ridiculous thing though. I could have filled it out in maybe one minute tops. Instead they insisted on asking me the same questions repeatedly. They argued amongst themselves on which questions were supposed to be asked! Where do these people get trained?! I started to get angry with the stupidity and here are my kids at the same time whining cause they're hungry. I told them I didn't have time for this. That my information is on file and if they need it that bad they can go find the one I had already sent in.
Well, this just made these two old women really mad
I couldn't help but laugh and I turned around and started to walk back inside. At which time I was informed that I was going to be in trouble for not giving out the information. I just said well, have fun with that and hope you guys have a great day.

I understand where you're coming from though. For one to go to your neighbor's homes and be rude on top of it all. That's just ... wow. I'm not sure that they have any training at all with what I've seen.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I have to step into this, as my daughter of 34, is a follow up enumerator for the Census.

I do not understand why they asked your race. That has nothing to do with the Census at all. ALL THEIR JOB IS TO DO IS COUNT HEADS. That is all. It is for your district representation in Washington. They need to know if there are enough in your district that they may be able to add another rep for your district. Plus, it tells Washington, that if there are more people there, the amount of funding you get will go up.

[edit on 13-5-2010 by FiatLux]

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by FiatLux

That's all well and good. But I don't see how that gives them the right to walk around treating people like scum though, ya know?
I assume your daughter doesn't behave this way.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Tragic

As I can not speak for those who go door to door, I can say that my daughter is....let`s say a level 3 Census taker. Level one is, the form they send to you. Level two is, the ones who go door to door, and try and get the info from those who do not send the form in. As before they started sending the forms around, they had to do each and every door. Now, if they can not get a responce at the door, then it goes to level three. Level three Census takers then go to the door of one of these places, and if they refuse to answer, the Census taker will then go to the local court house, and check the records there for the count. If you want to know more, I will try and answer it for you.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by FiatLux

I see. Well, then it's the "level 2' cesus takers that are the issue apparently.
I don't know why they (government) asks for your ethnicity either though. The form itself asked as well.

editing to say I'm not worried about a fine or anything else to be quite honest. I don't care. I did the form as I was asked to do. Anything after that is their problem.

[edit on 13-5-2010 by Tragic]

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Symp EL

Did your neighbor fill out the census?

It sounds to me like he is being harassed because of you. They have no business at his door again, because of you, if they filled one out.

Tell him to call the coppers if this woman shows up, again! Unless, you really do have something to hide!

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I actually had one of those drop by yesterday. She was pretty polite. Took my info and went on her way.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   
By the way, I forgot to add, that you will not go to jail if you do not fill out the whole form. As I stated before, it is only the head count they want. As for your race, you do not have to tell them, as it has no bearing on the count. Why they ask? Remember, it`s the government, does that tell you enough.

EDIT to add: If the taker is rude, try and get their name. As my daughter just told me, they can get into trouble for this kind of action, and should be turned in.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Ahhh, yes the door to door census workers. I had a visit a few weeks ago from one. I had just walked in the door and not taken my holster/pistol off yet. I answered the door and the female census worker looked at my hip and immediately turned around and walked away. Have not been back since! LoL

Bear in mind it was not my intention to scare her, it just kind of happened.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Had no problem with the one that came to my house. Really old lady. On that though, aren't they volunteers or something?

To answer a question about the race.

They ask that so they can see what demographic you fit. I call it profiling, but I digress. They know about who votes for who judging by these questions and can set your congressional boundaries accordingly.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Acid_Burn2009
Ahhh, yes the door to door census workers. I had a visit a few weeks ago from one. I had just walked in the door and not taken my holster/pistol off yet. I answered the door and the female census worker looked at my hip and immediately turned around and walked away. Have not been back since! LoL

Bear in mind it was not my intention to scare her, it just kind of happened.

My daughter just read what you said, and laughed. My daughter carries a 45 because of this job.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Symp EL

You know, actually, after reading you opening post about this (twice), I have to say that I think you are being a jerk about the whole thing.

So, what are you proving by not answering questions?

If I was your neighbor, and some census person showed up at my door because of you, it wouldn't be pretty.

Handle your own crap!

edit for clarification

[edit on 13-5-2010 by Blanca Rose]

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Same here! I sent mine in on time, and like 4 days ago a census worker comes knocking on my door like the police. I run to the door and it's an old woman asking for my information. I said, "Three people live here. That's all you need to know." She replied, "Why don't you just give them the information they want and I wouldn't have to come?" to which I replied, "I know my Constitutional rights. You have a good day." *Door closed*

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by FiatLux

Mine was only a 40 caliber...that's not to scary. Just to go off topic a little here, why do some people envision gun carriers as psychopaths? I guess it's ignorance. It's not like I was going to shoot her or anything.

Either way, they have not been back since and I have seen them around the neighborhood. Oh well.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

It`s because of people like this, that their district will not get the funding they need. That, is the reason my daughter has to go to the local court house and check the records. And if they lie about the number of people in the home, say, they tell the taker there are only three living there, when there are really five, those two not counted will add up when it comes to local funding.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by FiatLux

I agree. I'ts not like they want to know your bank account number, or really anything personal.

The census is done for a reason, and because people are so paranoid, they get a knock on the door, which in my opinion is ok.

I'm sorry your daughter has to do research because of a few jerks, but in my opinion, anybody who does not see how this helps with funding, does have something to hide!

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by newBodyoldSoul

Who know? You sent yours in, and they might have been at your door because of the author of this thread.

I think a line should be drawn when it comes to harassing people about their neighbors.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

Well, as my daughter just put it, it is because of these people, they have to hire people like my daughter, which in turn, causes your tax dollars to be waisted on this. Nice huh? 13 bucks an hour is her pay.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by FiatLux

Excellent point!

Instead of better roads, or schools, they are paying for people to research. Go figure!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join