It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

87% Say English Should Be U.S. Official Language

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   
gentlemen gangsters lol tell that to the families that were forced to pay extortion, to the immigrants who were forced to brew illegal alcohol or face a beat down. there is no such thing as a gentleman gangster. i guess all the hollywood movies got you thinkin its ok to be a gangster if you're white.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by adifferentbreed
So the polls show an over whelming majority in favor of this when/if do you think it will actually happen. Part of becoming a citizen is learning the language, so how can this possibly be a bad thing? Maybe, the president should rethink his maybe your children should learn spanish comment.

www.rasmussenreports.com...

Yeah. Because as soon as this happens, everyone will miraculously start speaking english.

Have we become this mindless? What's wrong with learning how to communicate a little bit with other people? Sure, some people don't like to learn english. So? That's their problem, not mine. They'll run into someone who doesn't want to learn spanish or french or dutch or whatever.

As for me, I like being able to figure things out and converse with people, even if it is to say, "I like two fish. You smell like hat."

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 02:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Jean Paul Zodeaux

Originally posted by Jean Paul Zodeaux
Too many people, myself included, will fall pray to declaring a platitude as an age old adage

That's 'fall prey', and everything you listed is a case of misspelled words due to how similar they sound when said aloud not an inability to speak English. Funny how you did the very same thing you were going on about though, isn't it?

Back to the OP, I see nothing wrong with having English declared our official language. It's what the majority speak and it's our native language. It might not change much, if anything, but it's not like it would hurt anything either.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 02:20 AM
link   
English is the language of trade, commerce and science. Much of the world had been ruled by the tiny island of England in our past, and had left its legacy onto the world.

It is of pride to the Brits, I would concede willingly, but at the same time, it is my hope that such pride be tampered with its historical facts of enslavement of mankind, both white and black during those dark years till the end of WW2.

Peace, progress and prosperity is the hope of mankind, and that language had given the world much. The fact that we, from all parts of the world are conversing in this language is evidence of such aspiration. It is the language that UNITES us humanity all.

Let us not find ways to divide ourselves again, as we did in the past. Our own cultural heritage must remain intact, but for our evolution, let the english language be our uniting factor as we hurtle into the future together as one race, for peace, equality, progress and shared prosperity.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

With respect Jenna, I agree, but I disagree.

It's a waste of time and resources... how little of each might be required.

So much of the rest of the world already learns english. Do we really need to go this far?

You know, this could actually be a counterproductive move. So many people are so darned sensitive on this planet that a lot of people might just give up or never try to learn english simply because it's going to be forced in their faces.

Not that it would bother me. I always love a good challenge.

But people are fickle and weak and demand a silver-platter and a red-carpet and a free webster's bi-lingual dictionary.

Too much effort is being made here to make a big deal out of something that is really only going to accomplish flaring up some silly emotions.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 02:25 AM
link   
reply to post by SeekerofTruth101

I don't have a problem with being philosophical, but for real?

What a miracle it would be if the strong declaration is to be made. Let english be the official language of the soon to fall United States of America! Alright!

Really?

I remember people complaining for this stuff a long time ago. Interesting that some of these minor and pointless things are getting done now that it doesn't matter anymore.

It's actually really funny if you think about it.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by TarzanBeta

What could be the harm? We have a national flag, national anthem, national emblem (thank heavens it's an eagle and not a turkey), and a national motto. What harm could a national language cause?

Would there be some who caused a stink over it? Probably. Would it actually make life harder for anyone? Not likely.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by eNumbra

Originally posted by andy1033
Americans have no native tongue, as they are a country of immigrants. How can they choose to dictate what language others speak, when they where all immigrants.

What ever language should be in america, should be what the american indians spoke, otherwise your being racist.

"America" was originally a British colony, hence the native tongue would be English. The Native Indians didn't refer to this land as America and America didn't exist until it was wrested from British rule.

Also, it's you're, and it isn't racism, so grow up and stop playing the race card at the drop of a hat.

America was not a British colony, America was a big continent with spanish, dutch, french, british colonies.

Before the country know as the "United States of America" exist, America did exist, in fact we descendants of spaniards were called in those times as Americans.

Of course i understand what you are trying to say, and of course i understand that now one country have a monopoly in the use of the word "America", but it sounds like even the hispanic and french speaking countries must change to english to make you all happy.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 02:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

All of the stuff you named was created quite a time ago.

It's late now for this business. It's just an attention getter. It's utterly pointless.

Bigger fish to fry I'm afraid.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 02:37 AM
link   
reply to post by MonteroReal

Firstly, don't be so worried about it. If people are worried that you aren't making them happy, then walk away?

Secondly, you're doing well with english. Why complain?

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 02:38 AM
link   

That doesn't tell me what the harm would be if this was done. Yes there are certainly more important things that need to be taken care of. There usually are. But what would it hurt?

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jenna

That doesn't tell me what the harm would be if this was done. Yes there are certainly more important things that need to be taken care of. There usually are. But what would it hurt?

There is an old saying :

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Edit to add : notice how I didn't use proper english? I might not be allowed to talk like my Tennessee-self if they go through with it!

[edit on 5/13/2010 by TarzanBeta]

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 02:44 AM
link   
You shouldn't be able to hold a job or receive government benefits of any kind unless you know English. This solves the illegal immigration problem. These people will no longer take our jobs. They'll no longer live on welfare. They'll simply leave the country because we no longer bow down to them, cater to them, and do everything we can to adapt to them when it is they who should be adapting to us. English should be official, and it should really mean something.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 02:48 AM
link   

Eh, it was still English. And as much as my teachers in elementary school would hate to hear it, 'ain't' is in the dictionary.

Having an officially recognized language wouldn't make all other languages illegal. It would just be recognizing what's already true and making it official.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by TarzanBeta

Firstly, don't be so worried about it. If people are worried that you aren't making them happy, then walk away?

Secondly, you're doing well with english. Why complain?

Lol, my problem is not the english, but there is a lot of people who use the word "America" as an monopoly and doesnt understand we dont like it, my complain is with that, more when it sounds like if all the continent must do something particular, you know "all americans must do this, all America is this and that", lol, i was not born in your country, i dont have or want the citizenship, and i am 100% american

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 02:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

Indeed it is!

As well, we have liars and thieves running our government and there isn't one of them that isn't.

I don't think I care for anything they tell me that is on their agenda... to be quite honest, something as silly as this could be some part of a scheme or maybe just a way to make some KKK guy happy so that he'll write them a check. Who knows.

I used to live 17 miles away from those crazy cone-heads so don't put it past them!

Seriously, though... this is bordering on idealism instead of reality. This argument is an illusion. The reality already exists. English is probably the 2nd or 3rd most spoken language in the world. It'll be OK.

I love my wife very much. She was my "fiancee" for a long time. We got married so that my son would not wonder later in life. We have yet to get bands.

We know we're married. We're always around eachother. We are so close that we feel like brother and sister. WE get into physical fights, rolling around, picking on eachother all the time. We're inseparable and I hope we always will be.

I don't need to prove this to anyone. I can say it and know it. And it'll happen tomorrow and the next day.

Ain't no band gonna do anything besides make me feel awkward anyhow.

So, basically, since I've murdered the english language enough here, I think I've made my point. Enjoy Jenna.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 02:56 AM
link   

There is definitely a lot of political correctness lost in the woodwork, for sure Montero.

But gaze upon the idiocy with a smile and say to yourself, "Ahh, it's great to be an American."

Enjoy friend.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by TarzanBeta

Seriously, though... this is bordering on idealism instead of reality. This argument is an illusion. The reality already exists. English is probably the 2nd or 3rd most spoken language in the world. It'll be OK.

In fact, english is the 3rd, Spanish is the 2nd, native speakers of course

[edit on 13-5-2010 by MonteroReal]

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 03:18 AM
link   
To TarzenBeta.

I can more or less grasp your point that the language may be used as point to confer inferiority to another, and on this aspect I fully agree with you.

The language was only meant for communication and should not be use as a tool of discrimination to others. So too must must other languages not be used as tool of discrimination to others.

It may be difficult to learn several languages, and worse if it is seldom used. Much better to focus on one that is already fully utilized in this world. This is not about discrimination. For those who use the language for discrimination should be shunned and ignored.

It's talking about unity, a common lingo for all, easy to learn, and easy to use. Just 26 alphabets that can be configured into millions of words. Rather than Hindu or Chinese where you have to remember thousands of figures just to write a letter, making it unweldly and time consuming.

But of course, each nation should keep its heritage, but there must be one lingo that an eskimo can communicate with a chinese from another part of the world or we will be isolated and ideas will never be exchanged for progress to happen.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 03:39 AM
link   
If English becomes the Official Language of the U.S., does that mean Americans will have to learn how to spell and pronounce words properly?

That would be great. I could delete the U.S. English from my PC.. I have to use it at the moment so that you know what I'm saying.

Examples:

Aluminium instead of "Aloominum"

Colour instead of Color.

Wow, you would get to enjoy all the nuances of the English Language.

I know, I'm being cheeky.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join