It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

87% Say English Should Be U.S. Official Language

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
You mean that English isn't the official language of the United States of America?

I had no idea.

Why isn't it the official language? Most of your population speak it and it is their first language.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
i think what americas write and say should be called english-ish because there are so many mistakes.
colour
centre
metre

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Everybody thats moved here over the years have taken up english even if they still use thier old tongue to one degree or another. Welsh, German French, Irish, Polish, Russian, Somali, Chines, Vietnamese, Nigerian ect ect. So we have some these days that think they are special?

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
Your still an immigrant country like you always claim, and you have no right on this earth in terms of morals, to dictate a law to state that illegal immigrants cannot enter your country.

No right to protect borders and dictate a set of legal regulations for becoming a legal citizen? Can the BS, all countries were at one time or another colonies of some empire.

You guys use the thing, oh yep we where a british colony when it suits you, you still are a member of that empire, lol. But you never ever stated that you have to speak english, and always say your country is home for anyone from around the world.
And it is... and 90% of the western world will also gladly accept immigrants from all walks of life, provided they learn the language.

The thing that gets everyone about american hypocrisy is that your all immigrants, with most of you maybe a few generations of family over there.

We all came through legally; that's the inherent difference.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by adifferentbreed

Fool, its a "punch line".
But if you did not understand that also, I rest my case.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   
It would be nice if that 87% could actually speak English themselves rather than the lazy and ambiguous language they now speak. Part of the charm of any language are the idioms that develop from that language, but too many people today don't even know what an idiom is, let alone use one properly. For example, how many times have you heard someone tell you that you can't have your cake and eat it too? This, of course, flies in the face of all that is self evident. However, you can't eat your cake and have it too. That would would be the proper idiom, and yet, I rarely hear or read anyone phrase it properly.

Myths have been with humanity since time immemorial and are tales told of origins, and of hero's and their journeys, some in acquiescence to a God, or many gods, and others in direct defiance of those gods, some not religious in nature at all, but all myths either tell origin stories, and/or tales of hero's and their journey, and the structure to this has been universal. Today, that word is used ad infinitum to describe a falsehood, or lie. Yet, myths survive as they do because of the truisms they speak or tell, and they speak to our very soul. Even so, today myths are lies.

When people are skeptical about an idea or story, all to often they will tell you that they are weary about it, expecting you to understand they mean leery. There are people who will tell you that they except you fully, when you are expected to understand they accept you fully, and conversely when they are distinguishing something from another they will tell you things like you can have whatever you want accept for that, when they expect you to understand they mean except for that. Too many people, myself included, will fall pray to declaring a platitude as an age old adage, which comes straight out of the department of redundancy department, yet this will have no real effect on people, even though those people will use affect to mean effect, and effect to mean affect.

Too many people will apprise a situation, and then hope to teach you something by appraising you. People will attempt to instill confidence in you about them by insuring you, expecting you to understand they mean to ensure you. People will refer to any problem they face as a dilemma, but to have a dilemma means to have two choices and not knowing which one to choose. It is extremely ironic that Alanis Morisette called a song with not a single irony in it, the ironic song. People will tell you they want to lay down when they mean lie down, and will tell you to lie that thing on the table.

People will use the word literally to describe something not at all literal, but factual. People will feel as if they've been complimented if you tell them you overestimated them. People will tell you that the problem is in the passed, and then tell you that they past their exam. People will tell you that they only perused the newspaper when they expect you to understand they only glanced at it, and let's face it, most people don't peruse much these days, and in likelihood, many will only glance at this post, thinking they perused it.

People will tell you about the regimented diet they are on, but they don't mean they're eating at the mess hall, and mean they are on a regimen that includes a specific diet. People will write love letters to the one they adore telling them how it was love at first site, expecting the reader to understand they mean the first time they ever saw them, and not the place where that was at. Then, people will tell you how they than did this, expecting you to understand they mean then, and will then tell you they would have rather done something else other then that. So, 87% say English should be the official language, but few will capitalize the word, and refuse to acknowledge that Greek and Latin play heavily into the English language, seasoned with a bit of French and German, and that is what it is, but of course, that all depends on what is, is.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   
When people talk about making English the "official" language...what exactly do they mean by that?

Outlaw speaking any other language?

Outlaw signs in other languages?

Outlaw businesses offering services in other languages?

I don't know what making English the "official" language means...and I'm thinking most people have different ideas of what that would mean.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   
you do realize that there is a lot of immigrants "fresh off the boat" just as all of your relatives were at one point, and not all spoke english. they came here they had to learn, they still had their neighborhoods and i'm sure they were still speaking to eachother in german, dutch, italian what have you. people need to get off their high horse and quit judging people. the majority of these people come for a better life and to work, yes there are some bad apples that we need to get rid of. also the people that are saying my family came here legally blah blah blah sounds like your desperately trying to make yourselves sound better than those that didnt, give it up! everyones story is different. in our case we have an unheard of number of illegals comin to our country at these levels there will be people speaking their native language. you act like not one immigrant can speak english, they can and they are learning so dont paint everyone under one picture. what you are doing is creating a scapegoat to blame all your problems on, stop it. we are going to have to live together wether you like it or not. there is no way you are going to round up al the illegals and anchor babies and anchor babies, babies and send them back to wherever they came from so cry me a river build a bridge and get over it, otherwise be ready for more racism from the hispanic population towards white people as they will soon no longer be a minority. so if you want to be that old man clinging to his racist views and confederate flag complaining about the good old days, remember the good old days there were always immigrants, or is that ok because they were white? they sure as hell werent all educated, perfect moral citizens. we have things like the mafia thanks to your perfect immigrants of yesteryear, so please give up the hateful rhetoric!!!!!

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blanca Rose

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
I HATE calling an American company for customer service and getting someone who doesn't speak English. Nothing gets accomplished, all this leads to is confusion and frustration on both ends.

Just because it's an American company doesn't mean they are not using cheap, overseas customers service reps to field you calls!

I'm all for English being spoken in the US, but, if you call a customer service number, there's no guarantee where you phone call goes to!

I know this, which is why I don't like it. I don't want someone in the Philippines when I am calling for Apple support. It causes a major language barrier. It's called outsourcing and I am against. I have seen many call centers close over this and hundreds lose their jobs. It doesn't fly with me!

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

Get off your high horse. There are examples all over the world where non-assimilating immigrants are causing significant problems and countrys are either now restricting immigration or being selective about who they let enter.

What ever country you enter and what ever language you speak you are a drain on the society if you do not speak the predominant language - period. You are almost guarenteed to have a menial job, more likely to rely on public assistance as a consequence and are more vunerable to crime. How many latino kids are in gangs today because they were not properly instructed in English and hence immediately unqualified for skilled work? Not a couple.

The French are rethinking their immigration policy, especially with respect to North Africans. the Danes are doing the same. In England the common culture is being destroyed by multi-cultural BS. Coming into any country should mean that person has a desire to be matriculated into that society and clearly that matriculation requires a command of the predominant language.

How folks say "they are just coming here for a better life" and then suggest that they not be required to speak English makes no sense. If they were truly seeking a better life, they would immediately learn the language.

If you're not from the states of have not lived here for a while, shut up about the issue with respect to immigration. You don't know the issues, you are not dealing with the results of unmanaged immigration. You don't have cities being hammered by crime.

Real easy to make comments about the US and tell us what we should be doing with our country like the US is some kind of global resource. Seems to me that most of the countrys in the world have more than a few issues to deal with. How about you all deal with them and keep your opinions about what we should be doing in the US to yourself.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by listerofsmeg
i think what americas write and say should be called english-ish because there are so many mistakes.
colour
centre
metre

Um no that depends on where you live. English isn't the same in the US as it is in The UK or for that matter parts of the US. It has different dialects all over just like ANY OTHER language. French is different in France from Canada just as it's different in Haiti. We Americans speak English not English-ish.

What most people speak now-a-days however is a sad lazy version of English and it disturbs me that people think, what, dat and things like OMG are acceptable.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by GAOTU789
You mean that English isn't the official language of the United States of America?

I had no idea.

Me neither. I always assumed it was.

However, seems there has never been an offical language at Federal level - although it is the official language in some States

English is the de facto national language of the United States, with 82% of the population claiming it as a mother tongue, and some 96% claiming to speak it "well" or "very well".[3] However, no official language exists at the Federal level. There have been several proposals to make English the national language in amendments to immigration reform bills,[4][5] but none of these bills have become law with the amendment intact. The situation is quite varied at the State and Territorial levels, with some states mirroring the Federal policy of adopting no official language in a de jure capacity, others adopting English alone, others officially adopting English as well as local languages, and still others adopting a policy of de facto bilingualism.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

there were gangs in america way before the recent wave of illegal immigration, ever watch gangs of new york? those were some good old fashioned white boys speaking english. maybe they were your ancestors? how about the mafia, irish or italian take your pick. there has always been immigrants in this country good and bad. and please dont tell me all the past immigrants legal or not came here with college education and speaking perfect english, and dont tell me there werent irish ghettos and italian tennements(sp) our current immigration policy has failed us big time, the immigration needs to be looked at and the borders sealed. i agree. i dont agree to the hypocrisy and hateful rhetoric.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   

colour
centre
metre

Um no that depends on where you live. English isn't the same in the US as it is in The UK or for that matter parts of the US. It has different dialects all over just like ANY OTHER language. French is different in France from Canada just as it's different in Haiti.

What most people speak now-a-days however is a sad lazy version of English and it disturbs me that people think, what, dat and things like OMG are acceptable.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   

colour
centre
metre

Sometimes the English refer to it as "American English".

Works for me!

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
Americans have no native tongue, as they are a country of immigrants. How can they choose to dictate what language others speak, when they where all immigrants.

What ever language should be in america, should be what the american indians spoke, otherwise your being racist.

That really doesn't make much sense. There were/are dozens of Native American Languages. It depends what tribe you are from. That's like saying European people should speak THE European language.

Back on Topic:

I wouldn't mind the individual states themselves making 'official' languages. I just don't want the Feds having any more power than they already have.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by conspiracy nut

You're there always have been gangs in every country. Big difference is that most of the gangs, especially the mafia pushed their kids to not enter organized crime. Few exceptions like Gotti and Gambino, but most of the rank and file mafia members pushed their kids into college and a normal life.

Those gangs also assimilated into society, spoke english, and were much more discrete in thier crime. They also had a bit of honor. The mafia did not perform drive-bys and exacted violence only against fellow criminals. They did not touch the family of a rival gang member the way the gangs do today. They were gentlemen gangsters.

I saw the Gangs of New York. You ever see Good fellas? If you did you're remember those guys went south because the moved against the wishes of the boss and got into drugs.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
i don't suppose it would make a difference if you ask me, i mean just because its the official language doesnt mean you have to speak it...

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
i completely agree... english should be the offical language of america. period.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

wow, now your defending the mafia. they never killed someones family, they had honor lol lmao!!!! i cant believe it. the mafia not using or dealing drugs? what did you call alcohol during the prohibition? cant you admit there is good and bad in every culture, religion, nationality? you say all the illegals wont learn english lol i cant go to a fast food joint without having my order taken by an immigrant, and its in english, maybe not perfect english and it does irk me too, but they are trying, you cant say they arent. you may of had some bad experience with an illegal but guess what????? i think its safe to say we have all had bad and good experiences with people of every color, creed etc etc, and who ever said children of illegals are not going to college? you are just being biased and only looking at the bad.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join