It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

87% Say English Should Be U.S. Official Language

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by K J Gunderson

i totally believe you that government spending is ineffecient but.....
i was going to use the $400 hammer arguement myself today but did a quick google search and found a link proving it as a myth...

www.thefreelibrary.com...$435+hammer-a04619906

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by conspiracy nut

I kinda figured that but I figured that the example was not that important because looking into it would find, like you did, that the government still wastes money on crap. I think it flows so much smoother than 'misappropriation of public works funding.'

Thanks for looking into that though.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   
i did the search earlier before i read your post, i was going to use that example to get my point across on an unrelated post, it was just a coincidence that you brought the example up later the same day lol! didnt mean to call you out, just thought i'd let in you in on what i had learned earlier.

[edit on 17-5-2010 by conspiracy nut]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by conspiracy nut
i did the search earlier before i read your post, i was going to use that example to get my point across on an unrelated post, it was just a coincidence that you brought the example up later the same day lol! didnt mean to call you out, just thought i'd let in you in on what i had learned earlier.

That is pretty funny considering how old that story is. Honestly, if you have proof - call me out all you like. I have no problem being corrected when it is backed up at all. I was not so sure about it anyway, especially after I posted. I realized I had not thought of it in years and that when I heard about it all I was far less aware of things. I started thinking about all the junk I hear now that I find out is false and know back then I probably never would have checked. I am glad I am not the only one that is remember crap that makes us at least a certain age and it is more than cool that you went and looked at it. Just glad that we both still agree the government has a knack for tossing money in the toilet anyway.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Do you Americans sing your anthem only in English ?

Would that prove its official character ?

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Udo Hohnekamp Lux.
Do you Americans sing your anthem only in English ?

Would that prove its official character ?

There was a Spanish version,

British music producer Adam Kidron said he just wanted to honor the millions of immigrants seeking a better life in the U.S. when he came up with the idea of a Spanish-language version of the national anthem.

Master Linguist Bush had this to say...

"I think the national anthem ought to be sung in English," President Bush told reporters Friday, "and I think people who want to be a citizen of this country ought to learn English, and they ought to learn to sing the national anthem in English," he said.

Which sounds all fine and good but I just cannot help but laugh when the person saying that has such a problem with English and it is their first and only language.

Bush: Sing National Anthem in English

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by sdcigarpig

Hahaha! If it only worked that way. I am an American-Mexican living and working in California. I got tons of call backs for jobs (for what I assume to be reason of my very Hispanic last name) once they found out I don't speak Spanish that's the end of the call. After a very long search for work I finally found a job that didn't require ME to speak Spanish. I've been working this same job for 4 years and just about every co-worker uses Spanglish. It's very frustrating with the language barrier. To make matter worse my main co-worker was hired for office work and doesn't even know how to copy and paste a document, send an email or operate a fax machine...hmmm but she can speak Spanish so I get to pick up the slack when it come to the know-how.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by jokei
I think that's entirely rational and sensible, also I don't see that it could harm anyones cultural identity either - you can still have your heritage language too.

OK - here comes the sarcasm part:

Could we have it as a prerequisite for ATS too?

Can Americans actually adopt "proper" English, ie: that of the Queen HRH Elizabeth.

Can Americans please say Aluminium, not Aluminum etc, etc, etc, ad nauseum.

I guess we'd also have to say crisps instead of potato chips, chips instead of fries, boot instead of trunk, lorry instead of truck, flat instead of apartment, fag instead of cigarette, pissed instead of drunk, jolly good old boy instead of nice one, ad nauseum instead of blah blah blah

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join