It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazing Simple Method to Clean Up the Oil Spill

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

Thank you for your signature. Just finished watching "The Solution."

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by m khan
reply to post by hawkiye

Thank you for your signature. Just finished watching "The Solution."

Your welcome! We really do have the power to change things if we would just exercise it!

I started a thread on it a while back:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 04:50 AM
link   
This is a neat idea but it wont work.

It works great inside a small bowl where the hay can stay together in a big pile, but when you spread it all across the ocean the waves will separate the hay and spread it out unevenly, and thinly, making it less effective.

The best alternative is to suck it straight out of the water with super vacuums, and filter it out.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
more on the hair solution here , movement seems to be gaining ground , hair being shipped from all over the world , people even having sponsored hair shaves to help with the fight against the spill, almost reafirms faith in humanity , come on ats lets publicise this effort where we can

news.bbc.co.uk...

www.miamiherald.com...

www.smh.com.au...

uk.news.yahoo.com...

and animals cant eat hair ..unlike straw and hay

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by ALLis0NE

And you know this for a fact? No you don't! Your idea is just as assinine as the one you think won't work. yeah let's vacuum up billions of gallons of ocean water and filter it out?

Maybe you should be working with the incompetent idiots at BP.

I say what could it hurt? Give this hay a try. If you put enough of it in the ocean it most definitely will work. Or better yet build huge sponges you can pull behind a boat and sponge it up. That would work even better. At least these guys are offering, cheap, and practical solutions which is more I can say for our government and BP.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zosynspiracy
reply to post by ALLis0NE

And you know this for a fact? No you don't!

Yes, I do know that for a fact. It's called physics. Believe it or not people can calculate how effective hay would be at collecting oil.

Believe it or not, I have also thrown large amounts of hay into a lake before. It spreads out thinly because of the waves.

You can even do the test in the video yourself if you want to get off your lazy *** and try it. Then try it when the hay is naturally relaxed on the surface and not confined in a bowl.

Try it, go ahead.

Your idea is just as assinine as the one you think won't work. yeah let's vacuum up billions of gallons of ocean water and filter it out?

I never said anything about billions of gallons of ocean water.
Oil rises to the top of the water, and you can easily suck it off the surface. If you happen to get water, you can easily filter it out.

Some pump jets like those used on jetskis and boats and ships can displace thousands of gallons of liquid per minute. Some ships can displace entire Olympic swimming pools each second.

Even then, if they used excavators to dig huge pits on land, and just decided to vacuum the oil filled water into these pits, it would be 100% effective.

Even if you did vacuum billions of gallons of water you would still get all the oil too. It would work PERIOD. No if's, and's, or but's. You wouldn't have to clean oil off of rocks, or even pick up oil covered hay.

Maybe you should be working with the incompetent idiots at BP.

I like how you try to remain civil when you insult someone. But, I hate how you fail.

I say what could it hurt? Give this hay a try.

Have you ever touched oil covered hay? I have. It doesn't stop your hands from getting oil on them. So it wont stop rocks from getting oil on them, and it wont stop animals, and plant life, and the soil from getting oil on them.

Spreading hay all over the ocean will only make a bigger mess.

....and like I said, when hay is not trapped in a bowl, and spread over the open ocean, it just spreads out thinly across the surface. This will make it less effective than what you see in the video example in the OP.

If you put enough of it in the ocean it most definitely will work.

Ok then are you going to help pick up the oil covered hay?

Please tell me, how would this prevent wildlife from getting oil covered hay all over them? How will this stop rocks from getting oil covered hay all over them?

Or better yet build huge sponges you can pull behind a boat and sponge it up. That would work even better.

That is the most stupid thing Ive read. Do you realize that sponges would soak up more ocean water than it would oil, and become useless?

At least these guys are offering, cheap, and practical solutions which is more I can say for our government and BP.

I was offering a 100% effective solution, not a less than 50% effective solution that requires a massive clean up crew in the end.

We already have pumps capable of vacuuming all the oil. All we need are big storage pits on land to hold what they vacuum. They would also need barges which float on the ocean and support a huge pipe that goes all the way to land, to the storage pits. Once you have the oil/water in storage pits, you just wait till the oil surfaces, and you drain the water at the bottom. This will separate (filter) the oil and water, and create more storage space for the oil.

This is 100% effective solution. All it requires is hard work and determination.... and of course $$$.

[edit on 10-5-2010 by ALLis0NE]

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 05:12 AM
link   
I live in the Panhandle of FL and if "CW Roberts" in the video title represents what I think it does then this is a large company that deals in heavy construction throughout the South East. These guys deal in all sorts of large projects and i'm sure they have had to clean spills once or twice. IMO if this is in fact the CW Roberts I think it is then its a safe bet they know a thing or two about this line of work.

Now I don't know if it will work or how easy the hay would be to extract from sea water but it's at least worth a try and I hope CW Roberts uses some of their resources to at least test it in a small affected area.

Great idea guys

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   
The simplest ideas are usually the best.
Certainly worth a shot, but I doubt Obama the elitist will ever give them the time of day for the plain simple reason that they sound too much like Bush.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 04:12 AM
link   
Saw a new clip on Reuters about "Hair" being more absorbent, but the big different between "Hay" and "Hair" is what we do with the contaminated by-product. Burning Hay is one thing, burning hair is a whole other issue. Alot of people won't take these farm boys seriously because they are wearing overalls and hats, but this is the time that the Mythbusters need to step up and but this claim to the test.

There are alot of experts that know a thing or 2 about absorbency. The people who make diapers for example... Now I am not suggesting we throw diapers overboard, but collecting the oil on the surface is alot better idea than dispersing and sinking it below the surface. Out of sight, does not mean, out of mind.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 04:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by gambon
more on the hair solution here , movement seems to be gaining ground , hair being shipped from all over the world , people even having sponsored hair shaves to help with the fight against the spill, almost reafirms faith in humanity , come on ats lets publicise this effort where we can

news.bbc.co.uk...

www.miamiherald.com...

www.smh.com.au...

uk.news.yahoo.com...

and animals cant eat hair ..unlike straw and hay

This not about animals eating... We can burn the contaminated hay by-product as an energy source. I don't think the same can be said for burning hair. The other issue, how would we deal with a beach full of oily hair? I can't think of a nastier ecologic nightmare to deal with.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   
what....you will burn CRUDE oil soaked hay to prevent one disaster and cause another???

the hay idea is a non starter , hay costs money...theres a market for it the same as everything else, the prices would be forced up...hair is a by product , it has very little if any other use nowadays,and why couldnt hair/oil bales be burned just he same as hay/oil bales , by your logic....

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 01:12 AM
link   
LOL hay, I watched the same thing done on a Kids show probably about 15+ years ago.... I think it might have been "Totally Wild" (Auzzies will know what im talking about)
I thought of straw as soon as it happened, then though nah, there has to be better ways...

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 01:30 AM
link   
so basically 2 good ol' boys put 2 & 2 together and wala.. Hay!

NOW THAT IS HARLARIOUS!! BUT I so love it.. !!!

and within like 2 mins.. BAM.. no oil slick .. wow.. !!!!! those guys deserve a freanking gov BAIL OUT !!!! LOL

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 01:49 AM
link   
The only problem I see right now is the dispersants they are using has emulsified the oil so it is throughout the water colum...

And that is toxic, maybe worse than the oil. I have seen bales of hay on some beaches already. When is the hay harvest? Got to give it a shot!

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 01:50 AM
link   
double post...

[edit on 24/5/10 by spirit_horse]

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   
I just posted the video to my FB page and emailed it to everyone I know.

IMO they need to get their dairyaires in gear and start spreading some hay. Its worth a shot dang it. Hell of a lot better of an idea that what our govt has been coming up with. They keep trying to fix stupid with stupid. What ever makes them the most money is all they seem to care about.

I wonder how much oil a dollar bill could soak up. Since they are so concerned with that dollar bill that seems to be worth nothing anymore how about we shread them all up throw them on the oil, scoop it up and deliver via dump truck to the White House lawn.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I have to agree with ALLisONE...

"On paper" it seems like a great idea, but on a larger scale in an uncontrolled environment I don't think it would be effective at all, possibly on shore but definately not in the open ocean.

Would the water and oil soaked hay float or would it sink? If it would sink, in turn wouldn't that just be another form of the same disaster? If it would float how would you keep it together so it wouldn't be dispersed by waves? Even if the hay would float, I think throwing any kind of bale or bundle of hay possibly would sink, I don't have any hay available or I would try some small scale experiments of my own just to answer some questions.

How would you collect the oil soaked hay? How would it be disposed of?

Theres a whole range of things you would have to work out, you can't just start throwing handfuls of hay into the ocean.

I think on paper it is a nifty idea, but far from being one easily implemented. There has to be atleast 50 square miles of oil slick by now, not to mention the amount that is under the water surface. I just don't see how anyone can reasonably think its viable considering the magnitude of the spill.

edit: typos

[edit on 6/5/2010 by ThaLoccster]

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join