It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazing Simple Method to Clean Up the Oil Spill

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Boy....people dont realize the SIZE of this problem....they will need to cut down every Hay in the US and some more from the rest of the world to absorb all the oil.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by ladyinwaiting
You've got to love the American people. Here are two guys in their garage trying to figure out how to deal with this problem. Whether it works or not (I'm not sure we can fill the ocean up with hay) they are giving it a shot.

There's a great deal of brainstorming going on all around the country right now. I find the efforts most admirable.

I agree with you most definitely. The sad part is, unless some government hired engineer comes up with the idea, they more than likely will not use it.

How do you think the government would feel about taking some youtube video they saw online and implicating it into this huge oil mess that has been created? They are probably thinking "Damn, it's a good idea but we'll look idiots for learning a lesson from some hillbillies!" - not my words, just the words I can bet that government officials would use. I applaud these men in the video for giving us a great example of how easily this mess, at the very least, could be clean up a bit. Not to mention it's environmentally safe - think about it, storms that pick up random soil/grass from the ground and carry it close to the ocean or into it happens frequently I would assume, and I know that some hay would not damage the ocean like oil would even in large volumes, not to mention their idea in the video depicts how easy it would be to actually pick it up AND still use the oil that has been soaked up.

Honestly, it would allow BP to make some money back (easy extraction from hay using large tanks which I'm sure they have already) and put it towards this clean up.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 12:05 AM
link   
The oil and its problems . A ocean with fish and oil

The Oil size is the size of a city . I think the only way to soak up the Oil would be to bring some sort of vacuum like object to suck all the oil out . Then after all the Oil is out of the water above 2000 foot . There should be tubes in the hole that sucks the oil all the way to a storage tank that will then be there to send oil other locations . The tubes would be about 55 000 foot long . Its 5000 foot of water and the tubes would need to go all the way inland so that would bring it around 55 000 foot to 120 000 foot to storage. But this idea would never work . I think it would cost over a trillion dollars. And I have no idea how they would make tubes to suck the oil out and push up inland and cleaning the ocean would take a lot of longer work .

[edit on 8-5-2010 by AndersonLee]

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Niccawhois
This idea is just plain DUMB! Hilljack science for sure!

Lets say BP decides to spread millions of tons of hay out in the gulf, what makes you think its going to just stay put in large clumps to await collection and not disperse in the choppy waters of the Gulf of Mexico? Or worse yet get picked up by the wind a spread all over making a much bigger mess!

Even if it stayed put you would still have to spend countless hours combing the ocean collecting a million tons of the stuff and offload it on to trucks...Now BP would have to figure out where the hell to store all that crap while it dries, Then load it all up again for transport to a facility to burn and pollute the air!

Or you could just drop chemical dispersant on the slick and be done with it, which is exactly whats their doing!!!

Sorry to bust your bubble friends but this idea is just plain dumb...

[edit on 7-5-2010 by Niccawhois]

Hey Niccawhois, I've got two words for you. Your Fired!!

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Experiment conclusive it actually works. Excellent old idea. If the grass was used for hay just from the US and cannada alone if combined for this use would protect the coast nicely. BP needs to start buying hay now . Hay has has already been used before . It works. Thanks guys for getting it on their minds.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by lifeinthematrix
Boy....people dont realize the SIZE of this problem....they will need to cut down every Hay in the US and some more from the rest of the world to absorb all the oil.

They didn't suggest that it would clean up the entire oil slick. But it could be very useful for cleaning up or protecting specific small areas, like the sensitive marshes and oyster beds.

And there is a lot more hay than you realize. On the small farm that I grew up on (16 acres), we used to let some people bush hog one of our fields and take it away, and it was enough to fill several trucks. And that was bahiagrass, I think for this any kind of "hay", including the kind that isn't normally feed to cattle and such, would work just as well.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Hay is needed for animals.

Reba bark might work too.

reba bark

[edit on 8-5-2010 by A52FWY]

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 01:24 AM
link   
It is interesting why these simple methods haven't caught on. The process is completed by decomposing the hay/straw/hair mats with oyster mushrooms. Mushrooms breakdown the complicated bonds in the petroleum into completely non toxic elements.

These methods seem far superior for coastal cleanups; opposed to spraying with hot water which only dilutes and is hazardous to workers, hair/hay mats are efficient, low-cost, and much safer. I understand that the oil companies are only interested in the PR side of these issues, but it seems like doing this would be advantageous even given that mindset.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 02:08 AM
link   
mind = blown.

and to all you cynical naysayers, blanketing the gulf of mexico with hay IS BETTER THAN SITTING ON OUR HANDS DOING NOTHING.

[edit to add:] if i had a plane and access to a ton of hay, i would be down there tommorow, noonish, and buying up all the hay i could to keep on comin back. fill a trash barge with hay and roll in there--

DO

SOMETHING!

[edit on 8-5-2010 by shagreen heart]

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Use your brains, this won't work. The oil:water ratio isn't the same as in the example. A closer ratio would probably be something like 1/2 a drop in that bowl. The concentration of the oil wouldn't be high enough of it to stick to the straw to be efficient.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by paranoiaFTW
Use your brains, this won't work. The oil:water ratio isn't the same as in the example. A closer ratio would probably be something like 1/2 a drop in that bowl. The concentration of the oil wouldn't be high enough of it to stick to the straw to be efficient.

use your brain, it's called an oil slick for a reason, and it's safe to say the path of least resistance is straight up, so it's fairly simple to predict where it will all be, it's not randomly appearing in molecules allover the world's oceans.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 03:22 AM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

I was kinda surprised at how effective it was...

I know from being raised on a horse farm though that Hay is kinda volatile, really depends on the growing season.. but since 2000 especially (oil prices and all that crap) Hay has gotten really expensive. And rare... because farmers don't make money off of it, so for the most part farmers grow their own tiny crops of Hay for their animals, and sell whats left over.

When you're looking at the oil spill it's covering many square miles.... simply put, that much Hay over that large of an area is simply not economical. Especially since the first cutting hasn't even come in yet. IF they did this, even before first cutting, it would jack the price of Hay through the roof, causing smaller farms to suffer the most.

Cool idea though, and I think it would work wonders for oil spills in creeks, ponds, lakes, and even rivers.... but not oceans.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 03:37 AM
link   
I heard an announcement on the 11:00 p.m. news this evening that all the farmers in that will be contributing to the cleanup. I did not listen to the whole story to get the details. Could it be that the hay method of removing oil is being adopted to help in the cleanup effort?

[edit on 5/8/2010 by dubiousone]

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Another problem for this or any other cool ideas on an issue like this is how make sure the right people actually see/hear the idea for serious consideration?

I guess if 'the news' ran the story that would help, but has BP set up any sort of 'hotline' for submitting ideas?

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Yeah but then they can't make a profit off their oil spill. They think human hair is the only way to pick up oil...because human hair is in short supply compared with hay that they can grow almost anywhere.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 07:36 AM
link   
This method has been known for some time, I think it has been used in Europe. Yes it works and is as cheep as you can get. There are also biological agents what will actually eat oil. There is a possibility of burning the oil on the surface also where it is thick enough for this

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Awesome Idea ! it really is a great solution to barricade the shore line

as for the Hay it can be easily picked up and used for either burning fuel in a plant or it could be pressurized to get the oil out of the hay to salvage the Oil a natural Sponge ! How about sand!

grab all that rotted hay ! put it to use

after the majority of the oil is cleaned up when it does ...

this hay solution sounds great

here is a idea ! use the hay as a filter ! tug the hay along a device (like a fish filter) just get the picture of a lawnmower towing with a leaf catcher ! LOL

but the problem is it only good for the surface! not the whole entire Gulf Of Mexico! thats when the World needs to have a Miracle Performed!

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Apparently BP is listening to the hay idea--smart move.....

"Carpenter and Walton County officials gave a demonstration to BP and state Department of Environmental Protection Wednesday in Pensacola. The hay will be tested on crude oil. Once approved for use on the spill, BP will pay for the bales of hay."

www.nwfdailynews.com...

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by ladyinwaiting
You've got to love the American people. Here are two guys in their garage trying to figure out how to deal with this problem. Whether it works or not (I'm not sure we can fill the ocean up with hay) they are giving it a shot.

There's a great deal of brainstorming going on all around the country right now. I find the efforts most admirable.

Actually using hay, sawdust or cat litter solutions have been around a long time. They don't use those methods because they are not high tech enough nor as costly!!
The one drawback with using the hay is there may not be enough to go around, think of the poor starving horses and cows!! Don't tell PETA!! /sarc.
Tom

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by LUXUS

Sorry LUXUS, I didn't read your post first. My bad.
Tom

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join