It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazing Simple Method to Clean Up the Oil Spill

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+43 more 
posted on May, 7 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Check this out!

The problem is it makes too much sense ad can actually work. So it probably will not be implemented.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Thats actually pretty impressive. We could easily dump barges full of hay bails into the ocean. Eco-friendly as well. Maybe this will catch wind and be used?

I think those farmers may have just found themselves a contract with BP.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Isn't oil that comes straight out of the ground, before being processed, black? What is it with all the red oil? Is this some deception to hide carbon sequestration gone horribly wrong?

express.howstuffworks.com...

Oil is a gooey, slippery black fluid that comes out of the ground. Sometimes it's close to the surface and actually bubbles out of the ground

Edited to add this:

en.wikipedia.org...

Red oil is defined as a substance of varying composition formed when an organic solution, typically tri-n-butyl phosphate (TBP, an agent used for extracting heavy metals in nuclear reprocessing plants) and its diluent, comes in contact with concentrated nitric acid at a temperature above 120 °C.

I think there is more going on than they are telling us. Maybe hay should be tested on the red oil cause I don't think that is regular oil.

[edit on 7-5-2010 by ohioriver]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by ohioriver
Isn't oil that comes straight out of the ground, before being processed, black? What is it with all the red oil? Is this some deception to hide carbon sequestration gone horribly wrong?

express.howstuffworks.com...

Oil is a gooey, slippery black fluid that comes out of the ground. Sometimes it's close to the surface and actually bubbles out of the ground

I haven't thought about this. Sure the hay may cleanup motor oil but how does it compare to the oil that is jetting into the ocean. Is it the same? If so, please send me a gallon or so... my car could used it.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by The_Zomar

The crude will will stick to the hay better then motor oil.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Yup, this is certainly a seemingly sound way to deal with the slick ...

My only question would be, considering the volume of material needed to soak up what seems like a minimum amount of oil in this demonstration is 1. how much actual material would be needed at the scale of the present slick, and 2. what could be the unintended consequences (and there always are) of dropping this much material onto an ocean?

Having said all that, we need to be throwing everything we have at this problem as soon as possible.

Edit for dyslexia

[edit on 7 May 2010 by schrodingers dog]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   
This is a really good idea IMO. I hope they decide to use this if it will work. I also saw a video earlier today about salons saving up hair, yup that's right hair for use in the clean up. If the hair works, well that would be great but I would rather see the hay beng used. I would think it would be easier to clean up after it's done it job than hair (Ewww). I will post a link to the video if I can find it again.

Ok don't knoe where the video was but here is a link to a news story on it:
Human hair use for oil spill
Also, I was reading of pet hair being used as well. Makes sense to me.

As far as the oil being that weird red. I thought that was due to whomever spraying some kind of chemical onto the oil to break it up so it's not just one huge slick. I could be mistaken though and recalling wrongly. I will look into this as well and post any link I can find.

Thank you for the video OP. It brought my hopes up a good bit seeing this. Now, if those BP idiots could manage to stop the actualy spill we might be heading in the right direction.

Edited to add- I can't find anything saying why it's red. Maybe I misunderstood something but I could have sworn that was the cause. Now this is really going to bug me

~Tragic~

[edit on 7-5-2010 by Tragic]

+15 more 
posted on May, 7 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   
You've got to love the American people. Here are two guys in their garage trying to figure out how to deal with this problem. Whether it works or not (I'm not sure we can fill the ocean up with hay) they are giving it a shot.

There's a great deal of brainstorming going on all around the country right now. I find the efforts most admirable.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
20 odd years ago straw packed into nets was found to do the job quite well, in England, but it seems that idea has been forgotten, seems every generation has to find the same solution to each problem (from a 'tomorrows world' program on the BBC)

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by ladyinwaiting
You've got to love the American people. Here are two guys in their garage trying to figure out how to deal with this problem. Whether it works or not (I'm not sure we can fill the ocean up with hay) they are giving it a shot.

There's a great deal of brainstorming going on all around the country right now. I find the efforts most admirable.

I completely agree with you, 'smarts' is something that I consider to be a fine American attribute - excellent problem solvers, good hearted and generous to a fault (with a penchant for being too lenient on their government)

Let's hope one day the decent majority get their country back

bb

PS sorry for dragging politics into this but I've had a drink.. but I do agree with you whole heartedly x

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
Yup, this is certainly a seemingly sound way to deal with the slick ...

My only question would be, considering the volume of material needed to soak up what seems like a minimum amount of oil in this demonstration is 1. how much actual material would be needed at the scale of the present slick, and 2. what could be the unintended consequences (and there always are) of dropping this much material onto an ocean?

Having said all that, we need to be throwing everything we have at this problem as soon as possible.

Edit for dyslexia

[edit on 7 May 2010 by schrodingers dog]

I hear you but we need to do what we can. And I see tons of hey rotting every year never used at least where I live they cut the fields 3 or 4 times a year and stack the bails. And what a way to help the economy farmers could sell all the rotting hay for a change.

I love thier idea of also burning the hay for energy after it is used.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   
aye aye aye. The problem isn't how to absorb the oil. The pressure of the massive deep resovoire popped every saftey on a massive oil rig like a champagne cork.

You really think some bales of hay are 1) your gonna be able to sink that much 5k feet into the ocean? 2) that would require a lot of friggin hay.

I have watched well drillers hit water. It made a 27 ton truck jump three feet into the air. That was just a water table.

This oil spill is spewing 200,00k gallons a day. That is just a teeny bit of pressure.

[edit on 7-5-2010 by nixie_nox]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Okay a few things, just stating facts:

1) They use clean water ( ocean water does not equal clean water)

2) They are taking oil from a tank, so I assume that it is the final product
crude petroleum is not equal to refined oil

edit: it is not crude oil that they are using. I can't make out what he is saying. If someone who can understand please tell!

3) They are doing this demonstration small scale, so EVEN IF this worked, imagine dumping thousands and thousands of tons of hay into the ocean.

I will leave this question for you to answer: If this solution did work, then what kind of impact will this hay have on the ocean?

I would if I could get in touch with them ask them to do a demonstration with crude petroleum and sea water.

[edit on 7-5-2010 by fordrew]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

This wasn't a proposed solution for stopping the leak. It was a solution to the oil slick floating above the water. So it would be used after they plugged the hole.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Billions of cattle and other grass eating animals will stage a massive protest if this is approved.

The hay required to absorb this spill by the time they stop it would likely leave little or no winter hay reserves.

Yeah, we can soak up this mess with it, but watching the animals starve next winter would be sad.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Well damn, that worked pretty good in my opinion. Considering how well it works, and the fact that hay is organic & abundant, this looks to be a good solution for soaking up oil.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   
I remember years ago we had a huge outbreak of Blue/Green algae at our local fishing lake. They used hay bails then and it worked very well.

I'm not sure how effective this would be though against so much oil and in salt water.

g

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

You honestly think anybody figured this was a possible solution to stop the oil leak?

This is obviously a demonstration of how we can clean up the oil spill if and when we can stop the leak. It isn't gonna be a leak forever, whether we stop it or it drains but one thing is certain we need to be able to clean it up.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Right, dawg. You probably noticed that the area of the hay was greated than that of the oil in the demonstration. However, 1. Are there fields of moldy hay that cannot be sold and might be transported to the Gulf? and 2. Will the oil-soaked hay stay within containment of, say, a sorbent boom?

y'gotta love people working on the problem. That gives me hope that they even give a crap enough to try it and share their method.

Dispersants are more than mere surfactants, but I wonder if a very dense surfactant (TSP?) might cause the crude to coalesce more?

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Wow that's pretty cool

I like the fact that everyone is "participating", trying to find ideas to clean that oil!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join