It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK General Elections Today

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Millions of people across Britain will today go to the polls in the most tightly-contested General Election in a generation to elect the next government for the oldest parliamentary system in the world.

While I see this subject missing from the recent threads page, it just goes to show how little other members from around the world know or care about what is happening today in the UK. Compare this with the American elections.

For Britain this is the most important election in a generation. The chances are we will be facing a Hung Parliament, which means no one party takes an overall majority and therefor, will rely on working with other smaller parties or joining a coalition with another party.

We have 2 main parties Labour(Gordon Brown), Conservative (David Cameron) and a 3rd party The Liberal Democrats(Nick Clegg) who have come much more into the fold after the televised leader debates.

It's looking like a Conservative Victory at the moment, whether they will be able to form a majority government remains to be seen.

I will be voting later today and after much deliberation i will be voting Labour. I look back over the past 13 years and have to admit that personally me and my family have done well under a Labour government.

www.guardian.co.uk...
www.telegraph.co.uk...

[edit on 6-5-2010 by woodwardjnr]

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
I will be voting later today and after much deliberation i will be voting Labour. I look back over the past 13 years and have to admit that personally me and my family have done well under a Labour government.

That would be 'My family and I' were you a Tory

I expect this place to be awash with all the pendulum swinging we'll see across the constituencies as the early estimates come in.

I'm hoping for a Lib Dem win, even if it only makes them the most prominent of a hung parliament. About time we got some real fresh air into the upper ends of government and they've done not too bad across the councils they've won.

Just anything other than the bloody Tories!!

-m0r

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 04:02 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnryeah, me too, my heart wants to vote liberal but my head says vote labour, i am in my early 40s and can remember what the country was like when the tories were in, to me labour is still the safer bet. Also lets hope that the recent speculation about the safeness of the postal voting system does not amount to an election result which is untrue, its gonna be a bad day in the uk if that happens, worried in the land of the red dragon.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 04:06 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Well, the UK elections are pretty much unimportant outside the UK (aside from the continent where a Euro sceptic Gov might cause a stir)

Apart from that I will be voting Lib-Dem.. can not stand another few years of Labour and dreading a Tory Gov... Seriously from a local perspective both work hand in hand to screw the people over..

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by darkday
reply to post by woodwardjnryeah, me too, my heart wants to vote liberal but my head says vote labour, i am in my early 40s and can remember what the country was like when the tories were in, to me labour is still the safer bet. Also lets hope that the recent speculation about the safeness of the postal voting system does not amount to an election result which is untrue, its gonna be a bad day in the uk if that happens, worried in the land of the red dragon.

There was quite an interesting piece on electoral fraud on News Night the other night. I was surprised to see it going on in the UK, enough to even swing the final result.
news.bbc.co.uk...

You dont expect this in the UK

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 04:18 AM
link   

While I see this subject missing from the recent threads page, it just goes to show how little other members from around the world know or care about what is happening today in the UK. Compare this with the American elections.

To be fair, you musn't forget time-zone differences. You're posting this at a time when the bulk of America is still asleep.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 06:12 AM
link   
To OP - I take it you mean your family have done well financially under labour and I can concur that in general so have we BUT, my youngest child has had to be 'rescued' from a violent and out of control school.

My middle sons can find no work or apprenticeships despite having 11 GCSE's each and A levels and we WILL not and neither will they become debt slaves at the chance of going to university.

My eldest son cannot find anything that pays above the minimum wage despite his qualifications and is supporting a family on minimum wage and his wife cannot find work.

We have had attacks of a racist nature simply because of being white in a non white area. The Law does not care!

My sons see regularly race attacks by so called ethnic minority in school on white boys that teachers refuse to prevent even though they are blatant and obvious.

Industry is dying.

The council is threatening to close our libraries and public toilets.

Hospitals are criminally unhygenic.

A close relative died recently of neglect and blood poisoning from bed sores in a NHS hospital.

I gave up trying to get a doctors appointment three years ago.

Councils are persecuting people over rubbish.

Everyday we hear injustice on the news and in the papers.

The country is about to collapse into debt slavery for several generations.

And you're going to vote LABOUR?!!!

You like your punishment! (But of course, I respect your choice!)

Personally, I suspect our election is sort of 'rigged'.

There are many parties to vote for but only three are pushed in front of us, all screaming Change and all offering exactly the same.

[edit on 6-5-2010 by Elliot]

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 06:42 AM
link   
No-one should be taking this election seriously, you do know its just showbiz and spin. The decision has already been made by much higher people years ago. Its Cameron I'm afraid to tell you all and there's nothing anyone can do about it.

Democracy is over, big business won....

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 06:47 AM
link   

You dont expect this in the UK

Election fraud is in all elections in countries no matter where you are.

Look at how the uk government made sure n ireland would never get catholics to vote the brits out.

On today i do not care.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Ill be voting Liberal Democrats.

I find it ironic that so many people hate the way things are run but lose there mouths when its time to vote and vote for the way things are anyways.

Nothing changes because people dont change. They just love to moan.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by XXXN3O

There is not much on a personal level we can do. Voting does nothing, but make you people feel good, thats all it does, does not change anything.

Who ever was going to win will have been decided.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033

There is not much on a personal level we can do. Voting does nothing, but make you people feel good, thats all it does, does not change anything.

Who ever was going to win will have been decided.

If you dont do anything about anything, nothing happens.

Voting does nothing, but make you people feel good,

Real nice attitude by the way, very condescending.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Elliot

May I be the first to star your post, Elliot. How right you are.

There are people at my workplace talking about how they're going to vote Labour cos "It's the best thing for the country"... have they been living on another planet for the past 13 years?

I really, really, really cannot understand how, with the mess this country is in, anyone could seriously still want to vote for that lot.

Not sure about it being rigged - wouldn't be surprised though - but the whole system seems ridiculous to me - Labour could get the least amount of votes but still stay in power?
Is there no getting rid of them? I will be casting my vote, (gotta do what you can), but I can understand people who think "why bother".

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by tappy

Dont get me wrong either, I understand it but something that worries me is a conversation I had with a person yesterday who is quite a bit older than myself which should mean the wiser as well.

They told me they are voting Labour because they like the flower.

I mean, thats just worrying but its when people say things like that, it makes me think that anyone with a head who is refusing to vote, could be the one that changes it.

I dont think life can be knocked until you have lived, if we all sit and over-analyse everything, nothing happens. Knowledge is not necessarily all the power its cranked up to be.

Edit: added a bit more

[edit on 6-5-2010 by XXXN3O]

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 07:19 AM
link   

reply to post by tappy

Dont get me wrong either, I understand it but something that worries me is a conversation I had with a person yesterday who is quite a bit older than myself which should mean the wiser as well.

They told me they are voting Labour because they like the flower.

I mean, thats just worrying but its when people say things like that, it makes me think that anyone with a head who is refusing to vote, could be the one that changes it.

[edit on 6-5-2010 by XXXN3O]

I think that is a better/more sane reason than saying they like their policies.. seriously tho, that is messed up...

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Thought id post this as its election day, might cheer someone up...

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

that's cool

thanks for posting the vid...

Three colours of the same manure

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Anyone have a channel that might help us folks in the US to see how the elections are going?

I have BBC America but it looks like it's regular programming for us today:

www.bbcamerica.com...

nothing like a day filled with Gordon Ramsay, antiques roadshow, cash in the attic and toss in some how clean is your house.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

you can watch skynews online, or bbcnews channel.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

Thanks, I can't watch any streaming stations here, too much bandwidth used, I have a 5G limit per month and that really really bites! I was hoping for an alternative channel on directv..

I can always wait for the next best thing though, the member's posts

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join