It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK General Elections Today

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Agree that an election in any country should garner more attention; it would be useful to those of us outside of the UK if some of you would state your reasons for voting the party you have chosen. I realize some have done this. I'm really interested in seeing more.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

I nearly voted Labour just to stop the Tories from gaining control and Fookin' this country up beyond repair.... But I just couldn't do it.

Voted the way I always have done.... Liberal Democrats

Anyone but Tories and I'm happy though.

And if it wasn't for Gordon Brown, I may have even considered labour.... but I can't stand any of them.... Darling, Balls, Milliband.... Mandy??? They're a bunch of assholes... But man, even a bunch of assholes is better than one "Charismatic" Asshole called Dave

Fingers crossed mate

[edit on 6/5/10 by blupblup]

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

UK media aren't allowed to broadcast anything that could influence the vote on election day, from 6am til the polls close: only an hour to wait! So no opinions, no estimates etc.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by argentus

I almost voted Labour, because although the UK is pretty messed up now, if the Conservatives had been in power during this banking crisis, we'd have been totally screwed. I just cant forgive them for the wars tho, which the Conservatives also supported.
The only people with any chance of power that were against the wars was the Liberal Democrats. They also offer a change in the electoral system to Proportional Representation, which I think is crucial. The only thing we've had as a result of the last 60yrs of lurching back & forth from 1 majority govt to another is competition between 2 flawed ideologies. I want politicians to be forced to work together & more independents in the House of Commons. I also support Vince Cable's economic plans: growing the economy from the bottom up by cutting taxes for the poorest.
I am still worried that by not voting Labour, the Conservatives may win, but I just had to vote for my hopes rather than against my fears, so I voted LibDem.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Yeah, postal voting is a thorny issue. I did it this time, because I have to be away from home for work right now. I was surprised that I didn't have to give a reason when I applied for it. Knowing Brits, I'll bet a lot of us just cant be bothered to walk down the polling station.
I can see how making it easier to vote is a good thing, since we've had falling turnouts for some time, but it does open up opportunities for fraud or coercion. Lets face it though, with the system we have, its only the marginal seats that actually matter in deciding the result so it shouldn't be such a huge job to police fraud. Coercion is a much more difficult proposition to police.
What can you do? At least we still get to mark our ballot papers ourselves, by hand, rather than some machine that could be tampered with.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I voted Labour.

Basically because Gordon Brown has the best plan to help economic recovey in my oppinion.
Also, he's still encouraging growth in the jobs market (as an avarage) whilst the Conservatives want more cuts.
Resulting in -
~Less money for public spending.
~Job losses in the public sector. Etc.

Liberal Democrates have made a name for their selfs this election, and instead of the normal big 2 partys, it'll be the big 3 from hence forth, providing that the Liberal Democrates can keep up momentum.
But in my oppinion, the Lib Dems are just the Conservatives in disguise.
Thats why I wouldnt vote for them.

I was tempted to vote for the Green party due to one of their policys ( raising the UK MINIMUM WAGE to above £8 an hour.)
but honestly, it would be a wasted vote because they dont have any political weight.
I did cover a bit of the elections in one of my threads.
And mentiond a few policys of other political partys and provided a commentry for two of the debates.

The likelyhood is the Conservatives will win the most seats, yet it will be a Hung Parliament.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   
The BBC just predicted a Conservative win but 19 short of a majority. But! Dum dum da! The combined Labour & LibDem vote may not be a majority either...
Oh sh!t...
Mandy just said Brown will attempt to form a government! We'll have to wait for the actual results...

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Bunken Drum

I know man.... It's all a bit crazy right now and i bet all the parties are panicking... which is just what they deserve.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

which is just what they deserve.
exactly right.
Apparently the turnout was high too, so if the parliament is hung, nobody will be able to claim that it was a fluke.
Worth noting that the SNP & Plaid Cymry are much closer to Lab than Con...

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Sorry double post.

[edit on 6/5/10 by Bunken Drum]

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Bunken Drum

Yeah man, Nobody will be doing deals with the Tories.

I honestly hoped people wouldn't get suckered by Cameron's sweet talk and bull**** but the polls were right.

What a sad day indeed.... It will be all fine if we manage to keep the Tories out but if they sneak over the line, well.... not good.

They're like 20 seats short so I'm thinking they wont get there, but you never know.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bunken Drum
Mandy just said Brown will attempt to form a government! We'll have to wait for the actual results...

Trust a sl1g to come out with dirty words like this.

Who knows, i am off to bed, and do not care, if uk picks planks of wood thats there business.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Totally mate.
Exit polls dont show postal votes either & many of them will have been cast while Nick Clegg's hype was going best...
Fingers crossed!

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

I'm afraid I dunno what "sl1g" means. Care to elaborate?
Oh please. The governator has apparently called Cameron to congratulate him on victory. Obviously a man who doesn't understand how British politics works. Pillock!

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   

The governator has apparently called Cameron to congratulate him on victory. Obviously a man who doesn't understand how British politics works. Pillock!

Do you know.... the sad thing is most Brits don't know how British politics works.

I really hope Lib-Dems get what they've been trying to get and an electoral reform is actioned... Apparently the Tories want one too.... Yeah right, so why did they not vote on it when Clegg proposed it?

They're all wankers man.... all of them... They all talk a good game but They're all about serving themselves.... at least this way it forces them to perhaps discuss and work together a bit more.

coalitions work around Europe so I only hope that it can here.
Although judging by the way these "adults" act on PMQ's and generally in the commons... i don't have much hope in any of it.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Do you know.... the sad thing is most Brits don't know how British politics works.
I really hope Lib-Dems get what they've been trying to and an electoral reform is actioned...
it is sad as f#, eh?
Still, as much as I want to see Brown booted out, if he can do a deal with the LibDems, I'd rather see that than the Tories get in. Yeah, they're all wankers, but some are worse than others.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
This is completely disgusting.

news.bbc.co.uk...

The returning officer for Sheffield has apologised to those unable to vote.

John Mothersole, returning officer for Sheffield, said: "I just want to start off by apologising profusely to anybody who's been queuing in the rain and did manage to vote, and anybody who's been queuing and hasn't been able to vote.

"By law, and I have no discretion over this, the polls have to close at 10pm. Therefore, we are not able to allow people to vote after 10pm."

People UNABLE to vote. This country is a complete joke.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Still, as much as I want to see Brown booted out, if he can do a deal with the LibDems, I'd rather see that than the Tories get in. Yeah, they're all wankers, but some are worse than others.

Oh for sure... Labour and Libs would be fine and I'm sure Brown's on his way whatever happens... even his own party are sick of him.
I wish that attempt to oust him had worked last year (?) and he was gone.

But yeah, a Lib/Lab is fine... at the moment that may not be enough though, we'll just have to wait and see man.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Firefly_

Yeah mate, that is f#ing ridiculous.

Latest exit poll puts the Tories 21 short of a majority, LibDems up 2 to 61. So a combined Lab/Lib coalition would be 10 short of a majority.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Firefly_

Not being funny but if you decide at 9:40-9:50pm that you're going to go and vote, then you're an idiot.

If it's work related then you should have used the Postal system to vote.

Blaming the polling stations doesn't cut it man.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join