It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Codex Alimentarius Conference attempting to make non-GMO labels illegal worldwide

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 11:09 PM
link   
This is Fluoride in the water times ten...

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by MemoryShock
This is Fluoride in the water times ten...

That is exactly what this is. This will affect each and everyone of our lives and nobody is covering it and as evidenced from the lack of participation in this thread the people have more important things to concern themselves with. For now...

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Here's some interesting things from our friends at :
www.monsanto.com...

May 2010
Farmer Suicides in India – Is There a Connection with Bt Cotton?

If you search the Internet for Monsanto, you will likely come across claims that failure of our Bollgard cotton seed products has caused many farmers in India to take their own lives.
The reality is that that the tragic phenomena of farmer suicides in India began long before the introduction of Bollgard in 2002. Farmer suicide has numerous causes with most experts agreeing that indebtedness is one of the main factors. Farmers unable to repay loans and facing spiraling interest often see suicide as the only solution.

May 2010
Through modern biotechnology, it may be possible to develop crops that will not produce viable offspring seeds or that will produce viable seeds with specific genes switched-off. Gene Use Restriction Technology (GURT) includes a range of technologies employed at the genetic level, designed to limit the use or spread of specific genetic material in agriculture.

Open Letter From Monsanto CEO Robert B. Shapiro To Rockefeller Foundation President Gordon Conway and Others
October 4, 1999
Dr. Gordon Conway
President Rockefeller Foundation
420 5th Avenue
New York, NY 10018-2702

Dear Gordon:

I am writing to let you know that we are making a public commitment not to commercialize sterile seed technologies, such as the one dubbed "Terminator." We are doing this based on input from you and a wide range of other experts and stakeholders, including our very important grower constituency.

As you know, sterile seed technology is one of a class of so called "gene protection systems." This is a group of technologies, all still in the conceptual or developmental stage, that could potentially be used to protect the investment companies make in developing genetically-improved crops, as well as possibly providing other agronomic benefits. Some would work by rendering seeds from such crops sterile, while others would work by other means, such as deactivating only the value-added biotech trait. One of the sterile seed technologies was developed and patented jointly by the U.S. Department of Agriculture and Delta & Pine Land, with which we announced our intent to merge in the spring of 1998.

Last April, after hearing concerns about the potential impact of gene protection systems in developing countries and consulting with a number of international experts and development leaders, we called for a thorough, independent review of gene protection systems. We also pledged not to commercialize any of them until that review was completed and we had responded to the issues raised.

Since then, however, we have continued to listen to people who have a particular interest in sterile seed technologies, including the concerns you expressed to our Board in June. Though we do not yet own any sterile seed technology, we think it is important to respond to those concerns at this time by making clear our commitment not to commercialize gene protection systems that render seed sterile.

It is also important to understand that the technical and business utility of sterile seed technology is speculative. The specific technology over which Monsanto would gain ownership through its pending merger with Delta & Pine Land is developmental, at least five years away from any possible commercialization, and may or may not prove workable in a commercial setting. The need for companies to protect and gain a return on their investments in agricultural innovation is real. Without this return, we would no longer be able to continue developing new products growers have said they want.

Monsanto holds patents on technological approaches to gene protection that do not render seeds sterile and has studied one that would inactivate only the specific gene(s) responsible for the value-added biotech trait. We are not currently investing resources to develop these technologies, but we do not rule out their future development and use for gene protection or their possible agronomic benefits.

For this reason, we continue to support the open, independent airing of all of the issues raised by the use of gene protection systems to protect the investment companies make in agricultural innovation. We understand, for example, that the National Research Council of the National Academy of Sciences is planning an international study of these issues. We renew the pledge we made in April that we will not make any decision to commercialize a gene protection technology until a full airing of the issues is complete and we have responded publicly to the concerns that are raised.

We are fully committed to modern biotechnology as a safe, sustainable tool for farmers and an important contributor to the future success of agriculture in meeting the world's needs for food and fiber. The technology has already brought important benefits to growers and the environment after just a few years of commercial application. We are working hard to build on this success.

We also recognize that biotechnology, like any new technology,raises issues that must be addressed. We appreciate your involvement with these important issues and the perspective and expertise you contributed at our June Board meeting. We find significant value in engaging stakeholders and the expert community in active dialogue on issues surrounding biotechnology and the future success of agriculture. I look forward to continuing our dialogue with you on the many issues and challenges that lie ahead.

Sincerely,
Robert B. Shapiro
Chairman and CEO
Monsanto Company

Here's a list of every country that Monsanto has offices in.
Seems to be quite a few, so you wont be avoiding interaction.

Albania-Algeria-Argentina-Australia-Bangladesh-Belarus-Belgium-Brazil-Bulgaria-Canada-Chile-China-Colombia-Croatia-Cyprus-Czech Republic-Denmark-Ecuador-Egypt-Finland-France-Germany-Greece-Guatemala-Honduras-Hungary-India-Indonesia-Ireland-Italy-Japan-Jemen-Jordan-Kazakhstan-Ke nya-Korea-Kuwait-Lebanon-Libya-Malawi-Malaysia-Maroc
Mexico-Netherlands-New Zealand-Nicaragua-Norway-Oman-Pakistan-Paraguay-Peru-Philippines-Poland-Portugal-Puerto Rico--Romania-Russia
Saudi Arabia-Senegal-Singapore-Slovakia-South Africa-Spain-Sri Lanka
Sweden-Switzerland-Syria-Taiwan-Thailand-Tunisia-Turkey-Uganda-Ukraine-United Arab Emirates-United Kingdom-United States-Uruguay
Uzbekistan-Venezuela-Vietnam-Zimbabwe

Here's a list of "new" Monsanto officers

[Some current leaders may include work experience with the "old" Monsanto Company, Pharmacia Corp. or Solutia Inc. prior to the formation of the new Monsanto, focused solely on agriculture, in 2000.]

Hugh Grant
Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer
Brett D. Begemann
Executive Vice President, Seeds & Traits
Carl M. Casale
Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer
Dr. Robert T. Fraley
Executive Vice President and Chief Technology Officer
Tom D. Hartley
Vice President and Treasurer
Janet M. Holloway
Senior Vice President, Chief of Staff and Community Relations
Consuelo E. Madere
Vice President, Vegetable Business
Steven C. Mizell
Executive Vice President, Human Resources
Kerry J. Preete
Vice President, Crop Protection
Nicole M. Ringenberg
Vice President and Controller
David F. Snively
Senior Vice President, Secretary and General Counsel
Gerald A. Steiner
Executive Vice President, Sustainability & Corporate Affairs

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

The reason is because the GMO big fat rats are losing money, their poisonous seeds and their crap crops has been banned around the world, and US farmers are against them.

So now they are scare that putting labels of the poison the feed people with will devastate their profits more.

But you don't need to know the label just remember what crops are GMO and look for ingredients of them in the processed foods you buy.

Most of the wheat and corn and derivatives are GMO about 85% in the US used for processed food.

www.nongmoshoppingguide.com...

HOW TO AVOID BRANDS MADE
WITH GENETICALLY MODIFIED ORGANISMS

www.nongmoshoppingguide.com...

If people stop buying the foods that carry their crap they will go down

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Marg awesome link and list, I instantly saved and printed it, if you get anymore information like that please share,
thanks!

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by HappilyEverAfter

This is an article of how the Monsanto got get congress in their side and having its own lawyers into the Drug and Food administration under Obama.

They crafted the Codex alimentarius while lying to the world that their poisonous seeds and crops will help with hunger, the only thing they help was their wallets with the help of the corrupted corporate congress rats we have.

Also independent studies that shows how damaging and dangerous their GMOs really are to human existence.

Monsanto's Roundup Residues in GM Food Cause Cell Damage

articles.mercola.com...

Major Threat to Human Fertility and Very Existence of Human Life on Earth

articles.mercola.com...

Engineered Poison Lurking in Your Everyday Food?

articles.mercola.com...

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by HappilyEverAfter

www.codexalimentarius.net...

5-3-2010 to 5-7-2010
38 session meeting on going now in Quebec Canada.
Here's the Agenda... See More

-Skip-

Misleading naming of energy drinks
CX/FL 10/38/16

Energy Drinks highlight the use of B Vitamins...a natural neuro stimulant. I can't help but wonder if Genetically Modified Crops become the norm if they are going to phase out some vauable human nutrients...

It does sound like a bad sci fi novel...but I think it is happening...

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   
This is ridiculous...such a blatant out-in-the-open offense to everyone in the country's health and well being -- not even hidden in any way. I'm amazed; but at the same time, I'm not so surprised. It's just another step in the frightening plan of TPTB. But like someone just said before me, "It does sound like a bad sci-fi novel..." And that's what makes me initially surprised when I read things like this -- I see, or think that I see, the way our country/world is going overall...but it's so much like something out of a movie or novel, that it's hard for me to..I don't know..really grasp it and allow it to become reality in my mind. And then I read things like this and it just reaffirms my beliefs, and hits me harder every time. Ugghh....we've got to do something. I don't know what, but if we can't stop it, then we all need to be prepared in ways that I can't even imagine.

Man, I've got to stop reading ATS before going to bed...gets me so worked up.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Hey, I want to share a little story here. It has to do with a Biblical story that at one time I looked at in a very different light. When I read it recently I had a totally different perspective and realization about it. Now, I'm not saying the story is the absolute truth or anything like that but to me it seemed like a very sinister plot when you looked at it for what it is.

It has to do with the story of Joseph and his brothers. His brothers sold him into slavery in Egypt and left him. The story contends that Joseph rose through the ranks and actually was in charge after a while. Before this he was able to discern dreams and when Pharaoh had a disturbing dream he inquired of Joseph to explain it to him.

Joseph explained to Pharaoh that his dream was indeed a real event that would take place. He explained that there was a famine that was about to take place for seven years. Before the famine there would be seven years of plenty. He advised Pharaoh to store up everything he could for the seven years of plenty so that when the famine struck everyone would be able to buy food from him.

Pharaoh sent out delegates to the farms and fields and the people incurred a sort of tax where they had to give a portion of what they were producing to the Pharaoh so that he could store up resources for a future famine. This went on for the seven years of plenty. The story is vague as to how everything was taken and stored.

Anyway, the famine strikes and people from all over come to Egypt to buy food for their families. The famine persists and people have no money left to buy the only food available so they trade their animals for food. The famine persists and the people have nothing to sell for food except for themselves and their land. Which Pharaoh agrees to. So everyone now became the property of Pharaoh and their land as well.

At this point Joseph moves everyone into the cities and distributes seeds to sow the land that was once theirs for Pharaoh. This is seen as a miraculous ending to the famine. The big question is, why didn't these people have seeds to sow their own land when it was still theirs? It could have avoided a lot of suffering. Why were the authorities hording the seeds and letting the famine run its course?

So whether you believe in the Biblical account or not it doesn't matter. I see in it a blueprint for government control of resources. The seeds do matter a great deal. Why do you think they have a seed vault? There is a very telling lesson to be learned from that little Biblical story whether it is true or not. The government ended up owning everything by starving people into submission to it. Just thought I'd share that.

The whole Codex thing is working toward that same goal. They will extinguish the natural systems for the artificial ones so that we are reliant on them. The honey bees are all but gone. Things do not look good.

[edit on 12-5-2010 by jackflap]

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Nice post, jackflap. I'm not familiar with biblical stories; glad you made that reference. Totally makes sense...and that is definitely along the lines of what I see coming. They've been conditioning people for decades, setting it all up...they want completely control of everything and everyone...and it's obvious that we're getting close to show time.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   
I haven't heard anything more about this Codex Alimentarius Conference?

In the European Union there has been mandatory to label certain GM food to help the consumer's right to buy non GMO food - and I'm not aware of any changes to this yet.

This is what we can read from the E.U food safety site today:

GM Food & Feed - Labelling

The EU recognises the consumers' right to information and labelling as a tool for making an informed choice. Since 1997 Community legislation has made labelling of GM food mandatory for:

• products that consist of GMO or contain GMO;
  • products derived from GMO but no longer containing GMO if there is still
  • DNA or protein resulting from the genetic modification present;

Latest regulation concerning GMO Labelling :

• Regulation (EC) 1830/2003 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 22 September 2003 concerning the traceability and labelling of genetically modified organisms and the traceability of food and feed products produced from genetically modified organisms and amending Directive 2001/18/EC were published in the Official Journal of the European Union.

Previously, the labelling of genetically modified foods was based on the provisions of article 8 of Regulation (EC) 258/97 on novel foods and novel foods ingredients;

The labelling of GM maize varieties and GM soy varieties which did not fall under Regulation 258/97 are covered by Regulation (EC) 1139/98 concerning the compulsory indication of the labelling of certain foodstuffs produced from genetically modified organisms as amended by Regulation (EC) 49/2000.

In addition, all GM additives and GM flavourings have to be labelled according to Regulation (EC) 50/2000 on the labelling of foodstuffs and food ingredients containing additives and flavourings.

In accordance with the general labelling rules of Directive 90/220/EEC, the labelling of 4 out of the 8 authorised GMOs for use in feed is mandatory.

Genetically modified seed varieties must be labelled in accordance with Council Directive 98/95/EEC.

• ec.europa.eu...

GM Food & Feed - Legislation & Regulations
    ec.europa.eu...

GM Food and Feed

The placing on the market of genetically modified organisms (GMOs) and foodstuffs containing these, whether they are intended for consumption by humans or animals, is regulated by a specific authorisation procedure. This of food and feed must be labelled as GMO to enable consumers to make an informed choice of such products. It must also follow the traceability standards laid down in Regulation (EC) No 1830/2003 for improved protection of human and animal health.

ACT

Regulation (EC) No 1829/2003 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 22 September 2003 on genetically modified food and feed [See amending acts].

SUMMARY

The Regulation applies to three types of product:

•genetically modified organisms for food and feed use;
    •food and feed containing GMOs;
    •food and feed produced from or containing ingredients produced from GMOs.

The labelling requirement does not apply to foods containing GMOs in a proportion no higher than 0.9 per cent of the food ingredients considered individually, provided that this presence is adventitious or technically unavoidable.

Also excluded from the scope of the Regulation are products obtained using a genetically modified processing aid *.

This Regulation is stricter than the previous legislation. It includes all foods produced from GMOs, without making a distinction between those which contain DNA (deoxyribonucleic acid) or protein resulting from genetic modification and those which do not.

The previous legislation on GMOs covered only foods with traces of GMOs in the DNA, whereas this Regulation covers all GMO derivatives, including those which have no trace of DNA or genetically modified proteins.

Moreover, this legislation covers all genetically modified animal feeds and provides for the same assessment, authorisation and labelling system as for foods for human consumption.

europa.eu...

But this can of course change quickly if they are hell bent on destroying us!

So? is there any updates from this Codex Alimentarius Conference.

Monsanto's GMO Corn Linked To Organ Failure, Study Reveals

In a study released by the International Journal of Biological Sciences, analyzing the effects of genetically modified foods on mammalian health, researchers found that agricultural giant Monsanto's GM corn is linked to organ damage in rats.
    ---
    In the conclusion of the IJBS study, researchers wrote:

"Effects were mostly concentrated in kidney and liver function, the two major diet detoxification organs, but in detail differed with each GM type. In addition, some effects on heart, adrenal, spleen and blood cells were also frequently noted.

As there normally exists sex differences in liver and kidney metabolism, the highly statistically significant disturbances in the function of these organs, seen between male and female rats, cannot be dismissed as biologically insignificant as has been proposed by others.

We therefore conclude that our data strongly suggests that these GM maize varieties induce a state of hepatorenal toxicity....These substances have never before been an integral part of the human or animal diet and therefore their health consequences for those who consume them, especially over long time periods are currently unknown."

Monsanto's GMO Corn Linked To Organ Failure, Study Reveals

Genetically Modified Soy Linked to Sterility, Infant Mortality in Hamsters

"This study was just routine," said Russian biologist Alexey V. Surov, in what could end up as the understatement of this century. Surov and his colleagues set out to discover if Monsanto's genetically modified (GM) soy, grown on 91% of US soybean fields, leads to problems in growth or reproduction. What he discovered may uproot a multi-billion dollar industry.

After feeding hamsters for two years over three generations, those on the GM diet, and especially the group on the maximum GM soy diet, showed devastating results. By the third generation, most GM soy-fed hamsters lost the ability to have babies. They also suffered slower growth, and a high mortality rate among the pups.

And if this isn't shocking enough, some in the third generation even had hair growing inside their mouths—a phenomenon rarely seen, but apparently more prevalent among hamsters eating GM soy.

The study, jointly conducted by Surov's Institute of Ecology and Evolution of the Russian Academy of Sciences and the National Association for Gene Security, is expected to be published in three months (July 2010)—so the technical details will have to wait. But Surov sketched out the basic set up for me in an email.

Genetically Modified Soy Linked to Sterility, Infant Mortality in Hamsters

What the frack is the matter with these pesky corrupt Corporations and their morally corrupt corporate lackeys who are lobbying for this?

Something must be very wrong with their brain chemistry - these people are seriously messed up in the head!

Probably severe brain damages from their own GMO products!

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 05:14 PM
    link   

Originally posted by Chevalerous
    I haven't heard anything more about this Codex Alimentarius Conference?

Neither have I ... I looked at their website and they have released no information yet.

On the dangers of GMO:

And the NN article:

GMO alert: U.S. attempting global censorship of GMO food labeling