It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Town BANS selling bottled water... Welcome to Amerika, land of the free!

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Don't you think that if you were going to buy bottled water, you would just buy another bottled drink instead? So how did that help the environment at all? And that's not even their reasoning!

That's actually the stronger argument to make....and no doubt, the one the water companies will use (especially since often, they are also the same companies making other beverages in a bottle).

An example, those waters with a tiny bit of flavoring added...wouldn't be applicable, so the measure would really accomplish nothing.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by romanmel

It isn't all tap water, I have been to the plants where they bottle spring water exclusively, and they pay to truck spring water in from the source.
I have been to the source and seen the truck filling up.

I am not saying that that it is all safe, not saying that it is all spring water.
Just that some of it is not tap water.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   
DUP

[edit on 5-5-2010 by HunkaHunka]

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Yes Land of the free where elected officials are free to set ordinances... and the people are free to elect others to change them if the people so feel it should be done that way as a group.

Just because it's the land of the free doesn't mean your right to bottled water is secure...

Life liberty and the pursuit of happiness... I don't see anything about bottled water!

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   
I love this discussion, and am reminded of this video....

I happen to be quite the fan of "Penn & Teller", so I include this for your enjoyment...

(Please note...per the TITLE of their cable show, on 'Showtime', there are bad words. Cover your kids' ears....but, I expect they have heard worse on the playground, at recess, but anyway....)

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thepreye

Originally posted by GorehoundLarry
Most bottled water is just tap water anyway. You're better off drinking from the city since it's the same damn thing.

Care to prove that statement or is it just a guess.

Source

Source

Thought this was common knowledge

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I for one am GLAD. Bottled water is a waste!! Go buy a Nalgene bottle and fill it up with water, or has that become too hard for us lazy Americans. 97% of the bottles end up not recycled and in our landfills taking up space and a ridiculous amount of time to be decomposed. Another bit of great of info...unless you're buying a bottle of water over 5 dollars you are more than likely drinking tap water!!! Hahahahahaha

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
reply to post by romanmel

It isn't all tap water, I have been to the plants where they bottle spring water exclusively, and they pay to truck spring water in from the source.
I have been to the source and seen the truck filling up.

I am not saying that that it is all safe, not saying that it is all spring water.
Just that some of it is not tap water.

Right. All I would say to that is; companies can change their sources to make more profit, when needed. So what might have started out as admirable may change overnight.

To be aboslutely sure you are drinking pure water you are better off getting a really good water filter. One such filter is:

www.youtube.com...

Good luck!

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Banning bottles is just another example of environmental extremism, and being controlled by others who have the "If I were King" mentality.

This is just a series of 'take me back to the stone age'. Ban bottles, ban styrofoam, ban doggie bags, ban grocery bags. Let individuals make the decisions of what is best for each. Society should adjust to us, not the other way around. If I'm at home I use a glass, if I'm traveling locally, I'll take my resuseable water bottle, if I'm travelling and I get thirsty I grab a disposable bottle at a local store. There is nothing wrong with wanting convenience and a clean, safe drink.

At the next revolution, first we kill all the lawyers, then the environmentalists.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I think that it's entirely in the realm of freedom for a group of people, in this case a town, to make a decision to cut waste going to landfills.

I think that we're going to see more decisions like this in the future.

The biggest one that's way overdue is getting rid of "disposable diapers"

They are filling up our landfills. I think that we're going to see a movement (pun intended) back to cloth diapers. The poop goes in the toilet and the diaper gets washed. That's better then filling our landfills with plastic coated baby poops.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by chuckk

Even though I do find the ban outrageous, I'm not complaining. You are better off buying a brita and (somewhat) purifying your water. We all know how risky and dangerous plastic bottles are to the environment. This is perhaps a step into the right direction of taking better care of our fragile Earth.

There are alternatives to plastic bottles

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Wildbob77

The group of people I think, would be less than the town, and more limited to the town council or the like.

If we knew the whole story I would say that the law was passed more for PR than actual care for the environment.

As I posted before, they closed their landfills and covered one with a park. Their wonderful solution for their trash that they still generate is to ship it to a landfill in another town.

Out of sight, out of mind....Eh?

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Why don't more states recycle? There are only maybe 12 or so that recycle. Everyone is so worried about the environment then why do only 25% of the U.S. recycle.

Personally, I prefer to buy gallons of distilled water and it wouldn't bother me to collect rain water and distill it myself, however I think the OP makes a good point about a disaster scenario. It will look like downtown Fallujah with people begging for water if something horrific happens.

[edit on 5-5-2010 by TheRoadLessTraveled]

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
reply to post by FalselyFlagged

Actually bottled water is hoax, the plastic bottles are dangerous for your health, they also pollute.

Here's a thread where we discussed/debated how much "safer" bottled water is than tap water, ...

Is Bottled Water Better Than Tap Water?

Here's a little info from that thread, ...

The Bottled Water Lie

A 1999 study by the National Resources Defense Council of more than 1,000 bottles of water found that, while most bottled water was safe, some brands violated strict state standards on bacterial contamination, while others were found to contain harmful chemicals such as arsenic. The report concluded that bottled water was no safer than water taken from the tap.

In fact, many times bottled water is tap water. Contrary to the image of water flowing from pristine mountain springs, more than a quarter of bottled water actually comes from municipal water supplies. The industry is dominated by three companies, who together control more than half the market: Coca-Cola, which produces Dasani; Pepsi, which produces Aquafina;
******SKIP******
Both Coke and Pepsi exclusively use tap water for their source

And another little tid-bit from the same article, ...

In fact, says Kellett, not only does tap water often taste the same as bottled water, but it is also often safer to drink as well. "They are spending tens of millions of dollars every year to undermine our confidence in tap water," she says, "even though water systems here in the United States are better regulated than bottled water." That's because tap water is regulated by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), which imposes strict limits on chemicals and bacteria, constant testing by government agencies, and mandatory notification to the public in the event of contamination.

Bottled water, on the other hand, is regulated by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), which according to federal law is technically required to hold itself to the same standards as the EPA. The devil is in the details, however, since FDA regulations only apply to water that is bottled and transported between states, leaving out the two-thirds of water that is solely transported within states. State laws, meanwhile, are inconsistent, with some mirroring the FDA standards, some going beyond them and some falling far short of the national regulations. What's more, FDA regulations rely on companies to do their own testing,

Just a little food for thought.

[edit on 5/5/2010 by Keyhole]

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by FalselyFlagged
reply to post by boondock-saint

What the hell is wrong with America when you can buy fifth of jack daniels in a plastic bottle so you don't break it while you are driving, but you can't buy a BOTTLE OF FREAKING WATER???

Mod Note: General ATS Discussion Etiquette – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 5/4/10 by niteboy82]

Well, until we can get JD from the tap, or from a drinking fountain, people will keep buying booze.

I think water tastes gross when its been sitting in plastic. Similarly, I think food tastes gross when its been in a can for too long. Its only natural for chemicals to start leeching into the contents, why would you want the government to turn a blind eye to carcinogenic chemicals that we consume daily?

Personally, I reuse a glass canteen and it works great.

After a few uses, pop it in the dish washer and you're good to go!

[edit on 5-5-2010 by WhiteDevil013]

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Acid_Burn2009
boondock-saint hit it...
The emphasis is on the plastic the water is in, not the water itself. I was always curious as to why people would pay for bottled water when it comes out of the tap for free (for those with their own wells at least)

My favorite was always...

Spell EVIAN backwards and what do you have?

NAIVE, because that is what you have to be to pay that much for water!

I thought about starting my own water company called DIPUTS!

Up sell a version with straws cause your lips are not good enough for the job!

[edit on 5-5-2010 by IntelRetard]

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thepreye

Most bottled water is just tap water anyway. You're better off drinking from the city since it's the same damn thing.

Care to prove that statement or is it just a guess.

Source

Source

Thought this was common knowledge

25% isn't most and I see that was in the US land of the free to be ripped off, it was a major scandal when Coke tried to bring the tap water in a bottle scam to the UK.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I guess everybody walks around with a refrigerator on their hip too..

Cuz drinking warm water is so refreshing.

And also you shouldn't have to walk around with ANYthing on your hip. You should expect the right to be able to walk around town all day without carrying anything but your wallet and bet able to buy some WATER TO DRINK.

This is America, a first world nation, where you have the right to drink something other than Coca-Cola as long as the free market supports that option to buy it.

What the hell is wrong with these freedom hating econazis?

[edit on 5-5-2010 by FalselyFlagged]

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by FalselyFlagged
You should expect the right to be able to walk around town all day without carrying anything but your wallet and bet able to buy some WATER TO DRINK.

You can. Even without bottled water you can still go in any gas station and any restaurant and get a glass of water. A lot of places won't even charge you for it. But you're up in arms over whether or not people can pay two or three dollars for it in a plastic bottle as opposed to getting it cheaper (or even free some places) in a paper cup?

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

That video brightened up my day

There has been a number of similar 'experiments' here in Oz to test people's ability to tell any difference between tap and bottled water with identical results IE they generally had no idea and actually opted for tap water as the best tasting in most cases. As I said earlier, it's become more of a fashion accessory and desirable to be seen walking about with some designer label water bottle in your hand and the trendiest is an imported bottle of water. There are a couple here in my state that I know for certain are very pure sources and one of those actually bottled water for the olympic games. That water evaporates off the southern indian ocean near antarctica and falls as rain when the roaring 40s bring it over the first landmass (our west coast). It falls from the sky onto a corrugated roof and goes directly into bottles on site and it rains there more than 300 days per year so the roof is always perfectly clean. The world's clean air standard is measured less than 100km from that site so there's no added atmospheric pollution between pickup and delivery at all.

Now, with such known pristine bottled water close at hand (at a price) what do I drink? yep tap water exclusively because it gets here the same way (out of the sky) as the bottled stuff and is in fact the same water and tastes the same. I do acknowledge my good fortune in being somewhere as clean as this. We get so much of that ultra-pure H2O we generate all our energy needs with it and discharge vast amounts directly back into the ocean.

There's a community here on the east coast that pioneered internationally the banning of plastic shopping bags and they're doing just fine without them so let's hope their initiative catches on too.

[edit on 5/5/2010 by Pilgrum]

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join