It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Security hits fan with taser at mlb game

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   
i was watching the cardinals vs phillies game on 5-3-10 and during the start of the 8th inning a fan decided to run onto the field.

usually a person trespassing is tackled by security and hauled off to jail. well i guess mlb or the phillie's security has a new approach to handling such a person. the bring out the taser.

its mandated in baseball to not show a fan on tv who runs onto the field, but the announcers said he was tased.

maybe this will keep people from doing such an act, maybe its just too far.

it was talked about on the stl cardinals website if you want to know more about it.

www.forums.mlb.com...

crappy video of fan being tased but still its the video.
www.youtube.com...

[edit on 3-5-2010 by elitegamer23]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by elitegamer23

Tasing is much safer than tackling someone. A person could hit his head if tackled, break his back, etc.... Hopefully, tasing will become the norm for dealing with people who decide to run accross the field so nobody ends up getting killed.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by SlickOil

Or you know a person tased could fall and break their neck or back or anything else too. When someone is tased they lose control of their body due to electric shock. When you can no longer maintain your balance you fall, difference is you can't control your fall when you don't have control over your body.

Tasing somebody doesn't make it any more or less safer.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Light of Night

Makes it safer for the guy doing the tasing now doesnt it. The worst thing he has to worry about it running out of batteries or dropping the taser on his pinky toe.

[edit on 3-5-2010 by SlickOil]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   

a person can hit their head just as easily being tasered. ive seen videos of people hitting the ground hard. if you search for any videos there is a rason the person being tased for training is held by two other men.

i will agree though its probably ok to bring out the taser. i remember during a whitesox game two white trash fans rushed the field and attacked the first base coach.

sportsillustrated.cnn.com...

[edit on 3-5-2010 by elitegamer23]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   

So people that get tased can't fall down and hit their head or hurt themselves at all as a result of being tased!? That sounds pretty ridiculous to me.

My stance on the OP; Seems out of line to me. Whether I'm referring to the tasing or the fan running onto the field, I'll let you the reader decide.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Untergang

Now if you were to run out on the field at a MLB game and as a result you ended up with your head split open, whose fault would that be exactly being as your head was perfectly fine when you were sitting in your seat watching the game like a normal person?

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   

The answer to your question is obvious. The logic behind your initial statement is what eludes me.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Tasers are known to be safer in law enforcement type scenarios. That is why police use them in the first place.

What do you think would do more damage to your head or spine, falling under you own weight as your muscles loose control or being brought to the ground at full speed by a couple of 300 pound security guards. Obviously a taser is the safest approach.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Sure, they're safer than guns. But you can still find plenty of stories about people suffering serious injury or even death as a result of tasing, as well.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Well you can find even more stories of people getting severly injured by being tackled at full gallop.

What they should probably do to keep the security guards safe from harm is to just hand out shock collars to each person as they enter and lock them in place. Then they could line the field with those censors they use to keep dogs in the yard. Then when the moron takes one step on to the field he drops like a rock and patiently lays there waiting to be cuffed.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Tasers werent really meant to replace the gun. They were intended to replace beating someone into compliance with a night stick and brute physical force.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   
To be fair, Phillies fans are ... well ... Phillies fans.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Well, obviously you're an expert on the subject of all things taser. So I stand no chance of winning any debates with you on the matter. But I must admit to some skepticism in regards to your injuries from tackling people vs. tasering people stories. But again, futile it would be...

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Great point..

Probably should just taze each of them on the way in.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   
here is a better video
Thats un called for, "excesive force" IMO that used to be fun to watch back in the day when the cops / security had to "work' for there prize. "sigh"

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Just one question. If they didn't have a tazer would they have shot the guy? No? What ever happened to tazer being the less leathal option when deadly force is called for?

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by SlickOil

Tasers are known to be safer in law enforcement type scenarios. That is why police use them in the first place.

What do you think would do more damage to your head or spine, falling under you own weight as your muscles loose control or being brought to the ground at full speed by a couple of 300 pound security guards. Obviously a taser is the safest approach.

simply positioning yourself slightly to brace the impact of the 300 pound dude, is alot better in my mind.

you cannot prepare for a taser. no matter what you lose all control, and then the 300 pound guys all jump on top of you anyway.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Well, maybe the good old folks in Philly can equip their football players with tasers too, being since its safer to tase than tackle.

Seriously, though, that kid isn't too bright, and Philly fans have a reputation for certain poor behaviour. Being tased is probably better than having both benches clear and the poor kid getting dog piled by 40 some MLBers. The fact of the matter is that nobody appreciates that kind of behaviour at sporting events, its just plain rude to everyone involved.

Every year at least some drunken jerk will pull a stunt like this and it just ruins it for all the other fans who can enjoy their beer and the game at the same time in a civilized manner. It may be too far since guys who pull this crap get banned for life typically. At least it got him on tv and youtube, for being a total moron. Good for him.

Not too many are going to have any sympathy for him. He should have ran out with a phone book or something and maybe he could have blocked. Maybe he'll learn that for next time.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by elitegamer23

What was the crowds response? ... Boos? I hope... Or was it cheering? Makes all the difference to me (can't watch videos right now) ..

IMO, seems excessive to an extreme. Give it another few decades and our police/security will just shoot people dead when they toe the line.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join