It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Security hits fan with taser at mlb game

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Code of Conduct for Phillies Stadium

Guests must refrain from conduct that is inconsistent with the fun, family atmosphere that should prevail at Citizens Bank Park and the Citizens Bank Park experience, including but not limited to: interfering with other guests' ability to enjoy the game; using foul or abusive language or gestures; appearing to be in a drunken or diminished capacity; failure to produce a ticket on request or sitting in a seat for which a ticket is not held; possession of balloons, beach balls, nets or laser pointers; interfering with a ball in play; and throwing objects on or entering the playing field. Violators are subject to ejection and possible arrest.

He should have kept his butt off of the playing field, period.

I know he's facing charges, I don't remember exactly what they are.... should include, tresspass, fleeing, disorderly conduct, resisting arrest and whatever else I'm missing.

Stay off the field, Period.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
He should have kept his butt off of the playing field, period.

Agreed. I don't have sympathy for one lone nut ruining the game for tens of thousands of people. In the future it'll be a drone flying around that takes guys like this out before they make it to first base. I've seen tackles in the past that looked brutal plus it puts the security and players at risk when all they are trying to do is do their job.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2f853c7fd9f2.jpg[/atsimg]

If that fatboy security goon was in better shape, he coulda caught that kid easy.

I guess since he couldn't run anymore, the tazer was his best option.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   
So you guys would seriously used a real gun on the guy? Are you trolling or do you take baseball a little too seriously

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Another incident to increase the "fear factor?" Imagine sitting in the stands, a guy runs out on the field because he's so excited they won, then is suddenly on the ground shaking from an electrical shock... like an epileptic.

I guess no one explained the rule to him about running out on the field? Obviously not. But, not to worry... he won't be doing it again, and everyone in the stands made a "mental note." Obey the rules... or else.

I think it's sad. I'm glad the guy didn't die.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   
What if the crazed fan had some sort of heart condition or whatever?

I know it's kind of his fault but at the same time i don't recall the last time I thought running on to a field would involve being tased.

I remember growing up, when tasing wasn't an option, yeh,streaking etc - it bugs the fans... but gosh it's entertaining and part of the maverick loose cannon style of human behaviour!

I personally feel it was an overreaction...

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Guy ran on in the 9th inning today during the Phillies game. The cops nabbed the guy the good old fashion way. Just so you guys know...

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

You're right mate. I personally think we need an officer with a .50 cal sitting on the top .. anyone who enters the field POP ...

Learned their lesson.

OR ..

We could keep starved rottweilers in a cage beside the dugout.. someone runs onto the field, release the dogs and then the crowd can cheer that spectacle!

OO ..

Or we could tase the people, then put them in a stock-like contraption, sell baseballs for $5 and let the crowd throw them at the person .. whoever gets the killing blow wins the prize!!

So many opportunities to show people that acting like a jackass WILL have potentially lethal consequences.

Love this country.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

So next time my kid wants to lean over the wall to grab the ball and falls onto the field, I should expect him to get popped? Fair enough. But exactly how will he learn his lesson? Shoot him in the toe at least!

I really hope that suggestions was a joke.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Surprised to hear that from you. Stereotyping and segregating in one post?

Guess what. I am a Phillies fan, and I am always against this whole "I hate the ______ team!", etc, etc. My point is, in no way do I act like the stereotypical Phillies fan.

Anyway...

I am totally against the tasering of humans. Period!

Unless one shows me evidence that it is 100% safe, then find a new way to deal with "criminals".

[edit on 5-5-2010 by Unlimitedpossibilities]

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Reply to post by SlickOil

So a clubbing would be fine as well?

He was OBVIOUSLY a threat to life, limb, or property.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Portugoal

It was sarcasm for now. But at the rate this country is going, maybe sometime in the future it won't be... as for teaching your kid a lesson, it's not about the kids... it's teaching the crowd.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Well apparently this hasn't stopped the fans from running onto the field. I was at the game last night and yet ANOTHER fan ran onto the field. This is the 2nd fan in two nights now. The 34 yr old gave himself up, but I'm wondering if because the 17yr old was only tased, will that mean that more and more people will see this as a sign of the security doing nothing more than shocking someone and then taking them into custody, rather than using greater force.

Opinions?

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Are you out of your mind? You think it's a good idea to blow someone to bits and pieces for running on the field at a sporting event? I'm going to chalk this up to you joking around, because anything else would make you mentally unstable and in serious need of psychiatric evaluation.

And for ANYONE saying they used "excessive force" on the 17yr old, you're nuts. How exactly should that situation have been handled? The police did the most professional and responsible thing they could have. They don't know if he has a gun or knife in his pocket. What if they tackled him and the knife ended up killing him?

In my opinion, what they did was the best for themselves AND the kid. Imagine this kid somehow tries to escape them if they tackle him and he accidentally hits one of the security guards with a flailing elbow? Oh so instead of the charges against him, now he's assaulted an officer?

C'mon people, think about what you're saying here...

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unlimitedpossibilities

Surprised to hear that from you. Stereotyping and segregating in one post?

What do you expect from a Mets fan?

I am totally against the tasering of humans. Period!

Personally I am against violence ... I also believe that tasers are waaay overused by LEO, mostly out of lazy convenience. It seems to have become their answer to everything.

However I will say this, if a taser is used in a situation where previously a gun would have been the only solution then I would rather they used the taser. That would in fact reduce lethality.

The running onto a field of play is a difficult call ... yes most of the time it's a drunk jackass looking for attention. Except that every once in a while you have a situaton like at the White Socks game a few years back where two people started beating the first base coach.

Like I said, it's a tough call.

Edit to add source: Royals first base coach assaulted by father-son duo

[edit on 5 May 2010 by schrodingers dog]

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Ye, I remember the incident with those two rednecks. But seriously, security should be on their toes. Besides, there's a guy at first with the coach and he should've made more of an effort to step in. I'm frustrated the players didn't kick the # out of them for doing that. That's one extreme case where those idiots deserved whatever they got. Unfortunately, I don't think they got enough at the time.

And there's a difference between running circles on the field and attacking a senior.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Portugoal

And there's a difference between running circles on the field and attacking a senior.

Agreed ... listen, I'm not advocating the use of tasers just to be clear. Like I said, they were introduced as a supposedly non-lethal alternative to firearms, instead they have become a catch all weapon which has gone way beyond their intended use and has for a great deal of LEO replaced actual police work. You know, like actually running and subduing a suspect with one's hands and physical ability.

My assumption in this situation is that the taser is used disproportionately to the act in order to create future deterrence. Fact is, and I think we can all agree with this, there simply should be no allowance for allowing people to run on a field of play.

Argh ... I'm a little stuck on this one.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Sure people shouldn't do it. But it's part of the game having it happen every now and then. Besides, I don't think people should have to worry about dying for something like that (TASERS have done that). And don't the cops gain any satisfaction for crushing the criminal with their 200 pounds (times 5 sometimes). They should've at least warned people that tasers were now fair game. I'm sure the guy that went last night was hoping to get tasered to get some attention.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Let me just make one thing clear....TASERS ARE NOT USED IN LETHAL SITUATIONS AS LESS LETHAL OPTIONS...like some of you and MANY on other threads are claiming. People are still calling a taser a NON-Lethal weapons which is untrue and has NEVER been claimed to be "non-lethal". Bottom line is a taser does not work 100% of the time...meaning to use it in a situation that can be lethal to me as an officer or to another person, we will use out firearm...NOT a taser. Somewhere and somehow people are REALLY confused by this. If you come after me with a gun, knife, steel bar, bat, or any other object that can/will kill me if I get hit with it...I AM GOING TO SHOOT YOU...NOT TASER YOU!

If you come at me with fists flying then THAT is taser territiory...well in my case I would rather greet your invitation with my own knuckles, but the taser is an option...

DO tasers get abused by some officers...yes. Do tasers have a role in law enforcement and can be great tooles for certain situations...yes. Will they be going away anytime soon to where we either use just impact weapons (i.e. fists, batons, etc) or use lethal options...no. I agree this guy didn't need to be tasered, just get hands on him and synch him up, handcuff him, and away we go. Personally I wish it was like the NFL and one of the players rocked him....or better yet, where was the Philly Fanatic..like this mascot:

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockstar02

How exactly should that situation have been handled?

.....well...

Let's see.. Baseball is how old? 1863.. so Baseball is 147 years old. For 147 years idiots, drunk goons, morons and the attention starved have been running onto baseball fields. In 147 years, no one needed to be tasered .. a good old fashioned chase and subsequent tackling would take place to the cheers of the crowd..

But apparently, fat ass cops who ate one to many doughnuts can't catch the fools who try to run across the field ... they'd rather zap em. And when they get so fat and so out of shape and can't get near enough to do that, they may just take some of my ideas.

Why don't we like cops? Even myself, a patriotic conservative who's never had a run in with the law? Because they are self righteous pricks who pull stunts like this. Always within "guidelines" of course. As someone famous once said "!% the police"

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join