It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alleged NASA -Affiliated Astronomer Deciphers 'Intelligence' Signal From Nearby Stars

page: 66
<< 63  64  65    67  68  69 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by DJW001
reply to post by jumjum

It will come back even if it's proven false. It will credulously be cited as an example of a "whistle blower" mysteriously disappearing. The damage has been done.

Bubba, that's one of the single wisest pieces of postage ever made in ats. Bravo for your insight - no doubt gained through long, sad experience.

I would add one corollary: .."and whoever asks for readers to slow down and use their critical thinking skills before swallowing the story whole will be labeled an agent provocateur, and the mob be set upon him."

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 05:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Chaotikmind

You may have something there Chaotikmind and
in all seriousness, we could look at possible 'tell-tale'
signs to pick up on hoaxers in the future.

Granted, the tale itself maybe so full of technical holes
that it carries no water, but the formula of how names
are entrered at certain points, information is revealed
at key junctions, may be seen and may assist us in the
future.

And yes... that is me at a photo shoot.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by A boy in a dress

LOL!! That's hilarious!!

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Hoaxes generally have a narrative. There is an attempt establish bona fides through a back story. Plausible, if false, information is provided. An attempt to support the lie is made. Before critical thinking can expose the lie, a new element is injected to distract attention from the original claim. Ultimately, the lack of evidence for the claim is deemed a "cover up." If you think about it, that's the skeleton of a Dan Brown thriller. On another thread there is a rumor that Germany is going to drop the Euro. It was reported as: "A friend of mine works in a bank, and they recently received..." The "whistle blower" promised to provide pictures soon. The suspense is killing me...NOT!

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I agree with above, there was a time when I worked
at The Washington Post and my friend and I uncovered
some corruption at...
Sorry... damn pills.

Great thread though!

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

It's generally a bad idea to have too many technical details in the back story, and in this case, it's what got her caught. Well, that and not being very flexible. Had Judy been fast on her mental feet, she could have revised the story after the initial data dump on the first page, before she came back with that second batch, where she gave out a UV wavelength range, then tried to give it radio comm attributes.

Had she caught the "UV on a radio telescope?" question and adapted quickly, she might have been able to play off the 'confusion in what was posted' or 'oh, we first picked it up on the Hubble then trained the RT on it' cards, but she tried to bs her way through with more technobabble that was worse than the first dose.

The clincher was the 'magic modification' third post wherein she tried to frantically salvage the story by claiming that UV emits radio waves.

If she'd just kept the details to a minimum, she could have dragged it out a lot longer, maybe her and Wayne got that book or a nice speaking gig with Greer or something. Now, it's all screwed up.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

Exactly. A good thriller always lays the technobabble on with a trowel, it covers up the implausibility of the plot. Unfortunately, Dr. Judy didn't do her basic research and over-committed to a bad fumble. Based on Van Greunen's history, though, I expect we'll see a variation of this theme played out again in the near future. If I were him/her I'd study real RT output and fake some on my computer. Then I'd innocently ask my mark what they thought of these strange readings... and suddenly clam up about the details.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

although the signal is obviously a fake and this is a hoax, there are still a couple of things that are bothering me, that article from the south african paper about a judy faltskog that is a real radio astronomer and had to get a pardon from the president so she could work in germany. she had a criminal record for being a lesbian, now this judy faltskog that has made the claim is listed as married on msn!.

also she got done in 1993 but is listed as graduating from berkeley at this time?.

are there two separate people?

one thats been lying all her life?

one has copied another's identity and is living a fantasy?

thanks

rich

[edit on 14-5-2010 by RICH-ENGLAND]

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by RICH-ENGLAND

My hunch is that van Greuning is a bit of a sociopath and made up the the whole "Dr. Judy" story in 1993 just to mess with a reporter that needed a human interest story. When it came time to pull the trigger on this hoax, the Dr. Judy backstory was already in place, so why waste it?

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

yes, you could well be right. another theory is that if judy and jimmy are related then maybe judy saw that there is something to gain from hoaxing after jimmy kalahari hoax, so maybe she has purposely changed her name to try to avoid any links to jimmy.

i could be wrong and it might just be changed through marriage but im sure she stated she was still a lesbian at the time she asked for her pardon in 2006, and her name was faltskog at that time? but maybe even all that isn't true?. lol

thanks

rich

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Well, I'm 48 or 50 or something like that, and from my perspective, the "Judy in a NASA hat' picture doesn't appear to be of a 45 year old woman. Looks to me to be in her 30's. Now, appearances can be decieving, and there's always the off chance that it's a really old picture, But I'm going on two separate identities, one or both of which may have been completely fabricated.

Happens all the time. The 'me' who spent time overseas isn't the 'me' who IS these days. Sucks when I fill out job applications - either way I go, there's a 'gap' in my history!

I'd bet real money that NASA wouldn't hire me...

[edit on 2010/5/14 by nenothtu]

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

yes agreed. i really dont think that nasa would employ someone like judy that posts allsorts of strange fantasies all over the net, surely she would be seen as a huge security risk for if they really did find something that important that obviously they would like to release at their own discretion. also i think they would find all that stuff a bit of an embarrassment.

i also don't think something like this could be kept secret nowadays because most of it is privately funded and not under the control of nasa, also because of seti@home, i think something like this would leak all over the place and we would have confirmation from many sources.

thanks

rich

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Hello Great Sage Equal of Heaven. Love the new avatar - big Monkey fan here.

The identity and connection to James Van Gruenen has been bothering me too guys.
Same person? Brother and sister? Old girlfriend even?

They both claim to have written the manuscript "The Aenstrean Revelations" and Judy also claims to have written "The Gods of Valhalla" about the Kalahari Incident. They both have the same alien abductor "Karne."

If you want a bit of light reading you can read all about Mr Van Gruenen here.
UFOAfrinews
by researcher Cynthia Hind. Volumes 3 (p5), 4 (p20) and 5 (p29) go into detail about the Kalihari incident and her subsequent conclusion of a hoax (except she calls it the Botswana crash).

Update: a few page back I posted a link to some obscure CT german website where person using the James Forbes username came on to explain that he had been cheated by Michael Hesemann from his abduction experience. Well a one Michael Hesemann has replied!
See here Scroll down almost to the bottom.
I don't have the courage otherwise I would try to contact Mr Hesemann and see what his take on all this is.

Who know what this site is - but someone has been chatting to Mr van Greunen recently and it seems he is alive and well and also a man.
some obscure google translated site

So my conclusion is ... that I still have no idea. I do think that Judy is a real woman and James is a man - either her brother or ... is she too old to be his daughter?

- Regards, Tripitaka aka Hermit

[edit on 14/5/2010 by Netties Hermit]

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Netties Hermit

good work netties hermit, ill be looking through all that when i get chance, and if theres an easy way to contact that guy ill give it a go. and yes i think jimmy and judy are related in some way, be it brother and sister, father and daughter or marriage, theres definitely a link of some kind!.

and yes monkey is awesome, ive got or seen most versions of it, including two different japanese t.v series, two chinese series, the recent film versions called monkey magic the movie and the jet li and jackie chan film the forbidden kingdom, i just need to read the original journey to the west book!.

thanks

sun wu-kong, the monkey king! lol

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 01:34 AM
link   

well after a little reading on the links you so kindly provided one poster claims that jimmy and judy are one and the same after jimmy had a sex change but all this is just getting stranger, now im quite certain that that picture of judy is a real woman but is it really judy?.

is there maybe a real judy faltskog from elsewhere that is a real radio astronomer and jimmy has just taken on her identity?.

lol this is odd but just looks even more of a long winded hoax!.

looks like jimmy/james/judy/judith van gruenen/faltskog is a serial hoaxer!

thanks

rich

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 02:03 AM
link   

hi netties hermit, i signed up to that german website and i posted to ask mr hesermann to come and join us in this thread or to e mail me.

thanks

rich

edit: strange, i just checked that site again, my post is only showing when i translate the site!. i hope they can see it!

[edit on 15-5-2010 by RICH-ENGLAND]

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Good stuff - you know that in the world before Monkey, primal chaos reigned - let's hope that he replies and we can put this thing to bed finally.
I'm ... getting ... very ... tired ... of ... it.

- Regards, Yu Lung aka Hermit

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 02:50 AM
link   

i think primal chaos still reigns! haha.

yes, hopefully mr hesemann will join us because it was a bit of a nightmare to keep translating that site using my ps3 web browser and i don't fancy having to keep doing it to have a conversation!. lol

oh well, at least mr hesemann speaks good english.

thanks

monkey, piggsy, sandy and tripitarka

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 04:47 AM
link   
i just remembered that drhammondstoat posted about this earlier in the thread so now we have a bit more evidence it would seem that judy and jimmy are one and the same person at least as far as the van greunen name goes but that photo must surely be of someone else because it looks female to me.

but the question still remains, does a real judy faltskog thats a real astrronomer exist? and jimmy/judy has taken on her persona or was everything invented. someone posted on the kalahari incident claiming to be jimmys wife and said jimmy died in 93 and wanted everyone to stop talking about it. 93 seems to be a big year for judy/jimmy. is jimmy just classed as dead by his wife because he became judy in 93 ? if it was his wife. or maybe it was jimmy/judy posting to try and stop the hoax talk and stop people digging!.

thanks

rich

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 05:08 AM
link   
The theory I'm working from at the moment is that Judy is 2 separate identities, likely 2 separate people. The 'astronomer' Judy, and the 'abductee' Judy.

Here's the basics of the theory:

Astronomer Judy got in trouble for kissing girls in South Africa, had to get a presidential pardon, probably lives in Germany, maybe even working there.

The abductee Judy started life as von Greunen, sister of Jimmy, and was born in South Africa. She later found an astronomer Judy Faltskog, thought it would be a neat idea to co-opt that identity to lend credence to some fringe theories that abductee Judy may hold, in common with brother Jimmy, and not really know much about astronomy at all.

Later, abductee Judy links up with some old school chums in South Africa, land of her nativity, and seems to have no trouble at all making things up as she goes along, like identity and, well, UV comms received through satellite dishes.

Astronomer Judy, under this theory, would actually be from Sweden, lesbian, and probably be aware that radio receiver equipment doesn't decode light beams. She might actually be a serious astronomer.

Abductee Judy, meanwhile, would be from South Africa, and hetero. That would explain the discrepancies uncovered vis-a-vis sexual preferences, without necessitating that she change gender AND sexual preference simultaneously. I mean, seriously, what's the likelihood of THAT sequence happening?

Another thing - astronomer Judy would be a tad bit older than abductee Judy in this scenario. The crossing in South Africa would add confusion, and provide a vehicle for abductee Judy to learn of astronomer Judy in order to co-opt the identity.

Seems more a case of identity theft to me.

In any event, 1993 WAS a big year for the van Greunen clan, what with deaths, graduations, and sex scandals.

If I ever visit South Africa, someone please remind me NOT to buy any bridges, manuscripts, alien message transcripts, or magic beans from anyone named 'van Greunen'!

[edit on 2010/5/15 by nenothtu]

top topics

<< 63  64  65    67  68  69 >>

join