It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS: Do you have a Novel Solution to the Gulf Oil Spill?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

Originally posted by Common Good
reply to post by muzzleflash

Actually, Ijust did. (and it only took reading your post).

Maybe it we were somehow able to get enough weight on that cork to keep it down.
Because rocks on top of it wont stop it from leaking, it will just slow it down. But if you cork it first, THEN load the rocks on top of that .

Just a thought.

Well what will you cork it with that weighs enough??

A really big rock???

Yes, a really large rock.
I thought thats what I said?
Read my last sentence.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   
There is no real fix that will help in a time period needed to save what WILL be lost.
A nuke tailored to create more of a heat signature vs an explosive rate could do the job. But there is too much misinformation in the public. The fallout would be minimal and worth the risk vs what IS going to happen. But again too many people would be afraid of the idea, even though we have detonated hundreds of nukes underwater in the 50’s+. This is probably the economy killer we have been expecting to happen.
By the time anyone wakes up to the fact that they can’t stop this it will be way too late. We will be evacuating the south because of fumes. And if there is a hurricane…….game over. The oil in the rain will kill all the plant life over any land track it takes. Just let that sink in for a minute and see what all this could be, yeah we’re screwed.

And no dumping rocks over a high pressure oil spill will not work.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse
I think the pressure of oil gushing out of the hole would rule out dropping anything onto the hole-the oil pressure would just push any rocks etc out of the way.

BP say they are building steel caps to cover the hole-How the hell will they be able to sit the caps over such immense pressure?

The pressure is the main problem I think,so drilling some kind of relief well may have to be done to alleviate the pressure.

Problem is,what if there is such an amount of oil under there that the relief well also blows?

Dark days for the oceans,and maybe for the whole planet if this carries on for 90 days like they say it could.

That is no excuse for sitting around and refusing to drop ships/rocks/etc on top of it.

We are bound to eventually start winning the battle. Just keep throwing stuff on it.

And no harm done if it doesn't work. A few rocks/ships thrown to the side isn't going to harm the ecology.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Okay...lets say we did use rocks...Big ass rocks.

Lets say it doesnt work, and oil keeps on comming...

Well, how are we going to get to the original hole we started with?
We cant, the rocks will be in the way, and I doubt if we would be able to move em once they are there, especially with all that oil in the water.

I think Coning it might work.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   

We cant, the rocks will be in the way, and I doubt if we would be able to move em once they are there, especially with all that oil in the water.

No, if it doesn't work, that means the pressure pushes the rocks to the side out of the way.

So you can try plan #2 if plan #1 does not work.

By definition if plan #1 works, the rocks will fall on top of the hole.

If it leaks out the sides we can then go in and place smaller rocks around it to fill the gaps.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Get a bucket,insert a high pressure hose into the bottom,jet pointed up.
Fill bucket with water,then watch as you pour stones onto the jet of water.

Where do the stones land?

On the jet,blocking it-Or away from the jet as the pressure pushes them out of the way?

Maybe,just maybe if you fill the entire bucket with rocks,you might slow the jet a fraction-but it won't stop it IMO.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

No, if it doesn't work, that means the pressure pushes the rocks to the side out of the way.

So you can try plan #2 if plan #1 does not work.

By definition if plan #1 works, the rocks will fall on top of the hole.

If it leaks out the sides we can then go in and place smaller rocks around it to fill the gaps.

Not neccessarily. If we are talking rocks as big as I think we are, I dont think the oil will push them out of the way, rather then seep around the rocks themselves.

By pouring a bunch of rocks on top of it solves nothing, not even a temporary fix, because you cant pull the rocks off once they are on to "fix it right" because you will be in the same situation you were in
before you started unloading all the rocks on top of it.

They need to find a way to contain the oil from spreading anymore,
and by blindly dumping rocks on top of it is not really the best way to achieve that goal.

link   
Dropping rocks through a MILE of ocean water!!!
This isn’t a cartoon, sorry.

link   
As far as what caused this.

Option 1: High explosive of some kind...probably a mercenary.
Option 2: Plane mounted laser...Russians/Chinese/Yakuza/Vril
Option 3: Precise moon-mounted AC Gravity cannon...US
Option 4: HAARP, EISCAT namely the Russian HAARP (which has Russian privately owned experimental radio stations in Mexico all along the northern border by the way, ELF transmitters just like in Alaska.)
Option 5: Human error / Equipment failure

How to plug the leak. No idea, refer to experts. Call Oceaneering. They're conveniently attending a conference this week in Houston, the 2010 Offshore Technology Conference. Here's some info on it.

Oceaneering will be exhibiting at the 2010 Offshore Technology Conference (OTC).
The conference will be held at Reliant Park in Houston, Texas, USA. Oceaneering will be in Booth 4163.

[edit on 3-5-2010 by elusive1]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   
The biggest lasers we have would not penetrate through 1 mile of oily water.
And HAARP...hmmm be serious.

You may as well attempt to freeze the whole gulf of mexico-that will be as easy as solving this problem with lasers or radio waves IMO.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Can anyone here play the Devils advocate to me on my Cone Theory?

-
Picture a cone(A big ass cone) with a hose(big ass hose) attatched to the top of it. It will automatically keep the oil from getting to anymore of the water, and we could probably salvage a lot of it in the process.
-

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Common Good

How do you attach the cone to the sea bed/pipe?

Pressure remains the problem.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Steve8511
Dropping rocks through a MILE of ocean water!!!
This isn’t a cartoon, sorry.

If dropping rocks won't work, than explain sir, how does an Anchor work??

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

I was thinking of the hole in the top of the platform shown in the "smoking gun" photograph that's been circulating. Scalar technologies can direct the solar wind to a point. Discounting HAARP can't be done so easily. It's not a one-purpose technology. I think you're confusing the weather control application of HAARP, with the Tunguska event style use of HAARP.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

Thats what Im trying to figure out.
Although, I dont think it would take as much pressure as it would if we werejust trying to "plug" the hole itself.
It takes a lot of pressure off by using thecone. Once the oil comes out of the ground and into the water, the pressure is not as much as if you tried to plug it from the inside.
Does that make sense?

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   

The anchor can land anywhere on the sea bed,and is not usually fighting the mega psi that this oil is gushing at.

Theres no way I can see to get any rocks to land on,and block the hole.
Hope I am wrong.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Your lack of understanding of how petroleum is drilled for boggles my mind.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Let's do what we do with all problems-

Load up a few tankers with cash.

And then throw all the money on it.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons

Your lack of understanding of how petroleum is drilled for boggles my mind.

Hey I don't see you offering solutions.

Great contribution to the thread, btw.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Sri Oracle

I wonder if the US could deploy a submarine to try and blast the leak?
Could be a weapon of last resort maybe?

I know weapons and oil probably are not a good mix but!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join