It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scholarly Squad Debunks Biblical 'Discoveries'

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 03:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Shane

I agree with you, Shane.

A lot of people who are "scholarly" are not.

Truly scholarly people do not describe themselves as such.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 03:31 AM
link   
reply to post by LAUTERMILCH

You just got played, lost faith, hope and gave up. It was your fault to get conned. Don't blame it on Christianity.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 03:33 AM
link   
reply to post by -Blackout-

I bet you believe in things that have less archaeological finds than the Bible.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 03:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Bigfoot73

"In the 19th Century some atheist English scientists climbed Ararat to prove the Ark wasn't there. Unfortunately for them they found it."

Where did you get this information? And if you believe this how can you be an atheist?

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 03:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Angus123

It's only land animals. They could all be newborns. And the Bible says God helped Moses with the animals. So if God can create everything I'm also lead to believe God could help Moses accomplish this. Do a lot of research just on this. Then talk to me before we both waste time.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 03:44 AM
link   
reply to post by [davinci]

"My question is why are we not meant to find it?"

Maybe because Imagination creates knowledge. Without an Imagination we're boring. We'd never "evolve".

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 03:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by whit555
reply to post by -Blackout-

I bet you believe in things that have less archaeological finds than the Bible.

There is no archaeological finds from the bible. There are find of people and places mentioned in stories in the bible. The same can be said for Clash of the Titans. Finds of places are not evidence of the stories that take place there.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 03:51 AM
link   

reply to post by Angus123

It's only land animals. They could all be newborns. And the Bible says God helped Moses with the animals. So if God can create everything I'm also lead to believe God could help Moses accomplish this. Do a lot of research just on this. Then talk to me before we both waste time.

Actually, he said LAND animals. But if God could creat everything and "help" moses, then why not just do it himself? Why use magic to get Koalas and their leaves to moses when he could just recreate them?

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by dragnet53

But yet other "gullible" religious archeologists have decoded the exact time line of the Exodus of Moses which is around 16000 BC.

Please cite even a single archaeologist that makes this claim.

Please cite even a single archaeologist that claims in any way to have figured out the "exact time" of the Exodus.

Please cite even a single archaeologist that has any evidence whatsoever that Moses existed at all.

Originally posted by dragnet53Look at the other "gullible" archeologists and they found the lost cities of Sumeria and now it is known fact that the old testament is a bad translation of the seven tablets of creation.

This is a gross oversimplification and is thus not really accurate. However, if you want to reduce this idea to a single sentence, you could do worse than this I suppose.

Originally posted by dragnet53oh and guess what? Those Sumerian tablets also describe a great flood in it. They are about 6000 years old! I am not even religious fanatic and I find that fascinating!

They describe a flood of the rivers Tigris and Euphrates, not a world-wide inundation.
Later embellishments by the Babylonians resulted in the myth you refer to.

Harte

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by K J Gunderson

"There is no archaeological finds from the bible."

What about the Dead Sea Scrolls? The House of David inscription? The Ebla Tablets? The finding of Babylon? Etc. Etc. Etc.

"It may be stated categorically that no archaeological discovery has ever controverted a biblical reference." - Nelson Glueck

I'm here to have a discussion to grow and learn. To respect others beliefs and not continually argue to no end.

P.S. I don't believe they have found Noah's ark. There are a lot of hoax's out there without a doubt.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   

"But if God could creat everything and "help" moses, then why not just do it himself?"

I don't know? It really doesn't matter. Maybe because humans have a soul? It could be anything! I don't know, I didn't talk to God, I wasn't there. I just know what I read and have beliefs.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   

"There is no archaeological finds from the bible."

What about the Dead Sea Scrolls?

The Bible doesn't mention the Dead Sea Scrolls, so how could this be archaeological confirmation of the Bible?

The House of David inscription?

Close, but no cigar (okay, maybe a tiny cigar.) The Tel Dan Stele mentions the House of David in a boast about the defeat of the king of that house.

However, the problem with considering it to be Biblical confirmation is that it isn't evidence of David himself (no such evidence exists) and it post-dates David's supposed time by a couple hundred years. It is tantalizing, though, and it is the only accepted mention of David outside of the Bible itself (thus, the "tiny cigar" comment.)

The Ebla Tablets?

There have been tens of thousands of tablets found at Ebla since the mid seventies or so, none of which (AFAIK) confirm anything in the Bible. These tablets are Akkadian cuneiform and Akkadian is a Semitic language. That's about the only connection, unless you know something I don't.

The finding of Babylon?

Why would a place-name count? I mean, the Bible is not set in some sci-fi world. Of course the towns (and countries) mentioned in it most likely existed. Besides, the country Babylonia was never in question, neither was Babylon (Diodorus Sicilus and Strabo both wrote about the hanging gardens there, the gardens were promoted by the Ancient Greek equivalent of a travel and tourism ad campaign.)
What happened was that Babylon was rediscovered. The actual location of the city had been lost, no one doubted it's existence, nor did anyone have to depend on the Bible to claim it existed.

Harte

[edit on 5/13/2010 by Harte]

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Harte

Yeah I've heard all that. But that's why we have different beliefs.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by dragnet53

guess what ?

the " great flood " cited by those ancient sumerian tablets was discovered over 100 years ago - and since then its extent mapped and its date has been confirmed

and OOOPS - it was confined to an area between the euphrates and tigris - i read that BOTH rivers had flooed simeltaneously

but during this event - although it was catastropic for the civilizations in these areas there is clear evidence that other civilizations experienced NO flooding

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

Let us look at scholarly people. Can't see anyone except me.

No proof - people lie.

Let us get real - whoever is telling us this is probably lyinhg.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   

What about the Dead Sea Scrolls? The House of David inscription? The Ebla Tablets? The finding of Babylon? Etc. Etc. Etc.

What about them? How are they proof of a narrative?

"It may be stated categorically that no archaeological discovery has ever controverted a biblical reference." - Nelson Glueck

I'm here to have a discussion to grow and learn. To respect others beliefs and not continually argue to no end.

Awesome, lets learn together. I want to learn why people think that a person or place is proof of a story.

P.S. I don't believe they have found Noah's ark. There are a lot of hoax's out there without a doubt.

That is good because I do not believe it either. Only because there is no evidence, proof, or any substance at all to any of the claims.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   

I don't know? It really doesn't matter. Maybe because humans have a soul? It could be anything! I don't know, I didn't talk to God, I wasn't there. I just know what I read and have beliefs.

Relax, man. The reason I ask is because apparently you knew God enough to say what you said that made me question. See, it confuses me when people try to "explain" God or the bible and when pressed for an explanation of the logic behind that explanation, suddenly they do not know god well enough to get into all that. OK, either you know him well enough to make excuses for him or not. Which is it? Just asking.

I just noticed you said Moses, then I repeated Moses and we are both talking about Noah still, right? Just want to make sure we get that straight with each other.

[edit on 14-5-2010 by K J Gunderson]

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   

"Relax, man."

First off don't ignorantly state that I wasn't relaxed because I was and am. Your making things up in your mind that simply aren't true.

I don't know God. No one does. It would be stupid for me to say I do.

We're just starting to talk. That's what's up.

Just to be clear. I'm not christian nor affiliated with any religious beliefs. Just my own spiritual beliefs (although I do somewhat hate to say it). I do believe the Bible is very true ethically (as did Jefferson). But I don't know about the miracles. I believe Jesus (or Jesuses) lived in history. Just so ya know my stand.

Kinda confusing myself here so lets go!!!

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   

First off don't ignorantly state that I wasn't relaxed because I was and am. Your making things up in your mind that simply aren't true.

Getting upset because someone told you to relax is the very definition of calm, eh?

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnyway...

I don't know God. No one does. It would be stupid for me to say I do.

But you did say

And the Bible says God helped Moses with the animals. So if God can create everything I'm also lead to believe God could help Moses accomplish this. Do a lot of research just on this. Then talk to me before we both waste time.

So you had some claims to make about what you think God can do and you told others to do some research before talking to you so as to not waste time. Does this mean, you want others to do research but you have done none? Why are you wasting our time then?

We're just starting to talk. That's what's up.

Just to be clear. I'm not christian nor affiliated with any religious beliefs. Just my own spiritual beliefs (although I do somewhat hate to say it). I do believe the Bible is very true ethically (as did Jefferson). But I don't know about the miracles. I believe Jesus (or Jesuses) lived in history. Just so ya know my stand.

Then it seems odd you would take a stance of defending the Noah story if you do not really believe in the miracles. Why would you not approach it with questions then instead of trying to answer for it?

Again, you claim to not know but ask others to do research. You claim to be unsure of the miracles. What started this was you defending the story of that Ark as possible being true. See the confusion there?

Kinda confusing myself here so lets go!!!

You are taking me with you but hey that is fine.

If "relax" is such an insult that it upsets you to the point of not coming across as calm at all, the my bad. You just seem a little riled up, you know.

I don't know? It could be anything! I don't know, I didn't talk to God, I wasn't there.
Sorry if I took it that way and subsequently upset you by not knowing you were really calm. I hope we can move on from that.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   
"Getting upset because someone told you to relax is the very definition of calm, eh?"

There you go again repeating the same history of ignorance.

"I don't know God. No one does. It would be stupid for me to say I do.

But you did say
And the Bible says God helped Moses with the animals. So if God can create everything I'm also lead to believe God could help Moses accomplish this. Do a lot of research just on this. Then talk to me before we both waste time."

Duh. The Bible says this not me.

"So you had some claims to make about what you think God can do and you told others to do some research before talking to you so as to not waste time. Does this mean, you want others to do research but you have done none? Why are you wasting our time then?"

Wrong again.

"Just to be clear. I'm not christian nor affiliated with any religious beliefs. Just my own spiritual beliefs (although I do somewhat hate to say it). I do believe the Bible is very true ethically (as did Jefferson). But I don't know about the miracles. I believe Jesus (or Jesuses) lived in history. Just so ya know my stand.

Then it seems odd you would take a stance of defending the Noah story if you do not really believe in the miracles. Why would you not approach it with questions then instead of trying to answer for it?"

What's so odd? I said I believe. God can do "miracles" (which is just normal for God). I said I don't believe in the miracles Jesus performed. What's odd? I think Jesus and Noah existed. So...

"Again, you claim to not know but ask others to do research. You claim to be unsure of the miracles. What started this was you defending the story of that Ark as possible being true. See the confusion there?"

Yes. But no. Like I just said above God can perform "miracles" Jesus can't.

"Kinda confusing myself here so lets go!!!

You are taking me with you but hey that is fine.

If "relax" is such an insult that it upsets you to the point of not coming across as calm at all, the my bad. You just seem a little riled up, you know.
I don't know? It could be anything! I don't know, I didn't talk to God, I wasn't there.
Sorry if I took it that way and subsequently upset you by not knowing you were really calm. I hope we can move on from that."

Sigh. Jumping to conclusions again across a code embedded internet. I'm relaxed your simply taking things the wrong way and blindly speaking.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join