It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why should I trust what humans tell me about God?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 08:31 AM
link   
I did state I would never make a thread of this nature again, but I want to make this a constructive thread that gets to the root of religious beliefs, what is believed and why it is believed. I want to do this by asking one simple question...people that have read my posts in the past might know that I'm agnostic, and I advise you to read this thread so that you understand my standpoint here. So my question is:

Humans have given me every reason in the world not to trust them...especially organized humans with an agenda, and worste yet, and organization claiming it has the best product, better than the rest, guaranteed success, or your money back! We know the secret to *insert something here*. We have the truth and you will have the answer...you can only find it here and all others are scams! SUBSCRIBE NOW!

Sound familiar at all? I have found, that the only person I truly can completely rely on, is myself, and only myself, and if I do rely on others, I must be prepared for them to let me down or deceive me, because it will most likely happen. It's a rare thing to find a sincere and genuine person these days...thus, I must conclude, 99% of organized religions are, IMO, the biggest scams in human history...and are actually taking us farther, instead of closer, to the truth.

I await your insight, peace.

EDIT: This is a quote from the thread I linked, slightly edited, which I like to use to get people thinking:

And I find it's just as arrogant to say God doesn't exist, as it is to say he does exist IMO...so I just go about my life, being the best person I can...and that's all I can do...if God does exist...I just hope that's enough to get into Heaven...or at least avoid Hell...if that's not enough, I don't think I would like God or Heaven anyway...if such a place and entity really exist...

[edit on 30/4/10 by CHA0S]

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by CHA0S

Sound familiar at all? I have found, that the only person I truly can rely on, is myself, and only myself, and if I do rely on others, I must be prepared for them to let me down or deceive me, because it will most likely happen. It's a rare thing to find a sincere and genuine person these days...thus I must conclude, 99% of organized religions are, IMO, the biggest scams in human history...and actually taking us farther, instead of closer, to the truth.

I await your insight, peace.

I don't believe a word you typed. I know you will ask me why. All you have to do is look at this last bit you typed. While you have no trust in humans, you are waiting for their replies.

You seem a bit confused about what you think you believe in.

edit to fix quote

[edit on 30-4-2010 by Blanca Rose]

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

While you have no trust in humans, you are waiting for their replies.
No, I'm waiting for a good answer which I can accept as a reasonable reason as to why people believe in these things.

EDIT: Think about it, you are born into a society that constantly tells you God is real and they teach you all sorts of ancient history and stories, and laws and rules which shape your life...but what proof do they provide, a book?!? There simply isn't any proof...it's your trust in your fellow humans...but why should you trust them? And who taught them about God, were they trustworthy?

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by CHA0S

You are asking for something that nobody can see, taste, touch or smell.

It's called faith. I think faith is a feeling that people have.

Some people have it, and some people question it.

I don't consider questioning, or having it right or wrong. That is just the way I perceive it.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by CHA0S

I am not saying that you should trust all humans with your personal existance. But I will say this human beings possess so many different attributes that 1 cannot put them all in the same basket or baskets for that would be seriously overlooking the many great potentials that humans do possess.

I agree that there are many on this planet who will LIE-STEAL-AND CHEAT-you out of every thing you got, some will even KILL you for it so I can understand your aggression towards this species.

All I can ask from my perspective is look deeper and you will be able to see that there are many who are worthy of your trust CHA0S, and there are many who just want to live peacefull but cannot due to the fact of overshadowing.

Now if you look @ things like I do then you will be able to understand trust a little better. I for 1 view trust in ways of percentages, like GOD, GETS 100% TRUST FROM ME, yea I know seems silly but pay attention. Certain friends of mine may get 40% or less trust (I USUALLY CALL THEM ASSOCIATES) for you never know if they want something you got (invy/HATERS). Certain family members get 70% and higher moms she gets the highest marks as far as family is concerned. You getting where I am comming from. By viewing trust in %s it helps me to get thru many trust issues most seem to encounter. So mabey if you can, you should do the same and you will see it will help you identify potential risk with your trust and who can be most trusted.

Take care friend

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   

It's called faith.
Yes, but it's not faith in God, it's faith in HUMANS. If you follow the teachings of an organized religion and shape your life around those teachings, everything you do, your entire life, is structured around things which HUMANS have taught you. If you want to believe a God exists, and you be the best person you can...fine...absolutely fine...as long as you don't push your beliefs on others, and blindly follow a whole bunch of crap which has obviously been thought up by ancient men, with absolutely no proof, except the word of HUMANS.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

Now if you look @ things like I do then you will be able to understand trust a little better. I for 1 view trust in ways of percentages, like GOD, GETS 100% TRUST FROM ME, yea I know seems silly but pay attention. Certain friends of mine may get 40% or less trust (I USUALLY CALL THEM ASSOCIATES) for you never know if they want something you got (invy/HATERS). Certain family members get 70% and higher moms she gets the highest marks as far as family is concerned. You getting where I am comming from
I have a similar system, and a do give certain people in my life high amounts of trust, but my life experiences have taught me, that the majority of people cannot be trusted, especially if you don't know them, or as I stated, they are part of an organization that is trying to sell you a product, whether it be a toaster or a belief system...and I particularly see organized religion as one thing devious people would abuse in order to control the masses in a way unimaginable....and I mean...they can't all be right...and they are obviously all wrong...the only thing they might be right about is the existence of God...and as I've said, they may contain some good life lessons, but they know nothing of God, if God exists...and IMO, religion only stagnates ones ability to question the things around them and advance their understanding of reality and get closer to the truth...it holds humanity back and causes us to mold our society around out-right lies and deceit...it simply causes more problems than it solves...

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by CHA0S

I can completely understand what you mean. I am living in the Bible belt, and let me tell you, some people have blind faith. I have been subjected to a lot of people telling me what I should be doing with my time on Sunday!

My husband, who is Baptist, has been completely written off by his family because he cannot get me to attend church! Well, at least a Baptist one, anyway.

Not only do his Baptist family all tell him that I am going to hell, because I refuse to attend their services, but he is going along with me!

My own personal belief is these people are completely hypocritical, and some of them are the biggest scam artists, adulterers, gossips, etc....that I have ever met in my life.

Still I have respect, that they have "faith," and however they interpret scripture is their own problem and undoing.

They all know not to even bring the subject up with me. All you have to do is let people know you are not on the same page, and leave it at that.

Stick up for yourself. You don't have to trust anybody else about it! Just realize that people will actually believe the stuff they spew.

I actually feel sorry for these people!

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Forget what they TELL you. In fact, dont listen to a word they say. Look at their actions instead. Take a trip to a church or 3 and make some notes on what you already have been told. My faves are pointing out the who has the most expensive cars, houses and clothes at a church. Ain't the people in the pews! Don't ask questions- just listen to people who talk about God and gauge what their life is like. In some cases, gauge their mental health. I have run into a few wingdings who were so pro God, and walking on clouds... and in many cases, needed some solid drugs and a trip away in a room with rubber wallpaper.

Watch how the people who profess to be Christians act in their daily lives AWAY from church. How do they drive, do business with others.

I have already done this, and I wont be a Christian again if someone *paid* me. Not even if Jesus popped in and yelled at me. My list is long and detailed... But dont listen to me- go out and find your own answers by watching, observing, and keeping notes- and then come back and share with us what you've seen and experienced firsthand.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 09:11 AM
link   
You should not trust what other humans tell you about god, Op. They are simply domesticated primates born from the earth just the same as you were. They have no idea who or what created the universe.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by CHA0S

For acknowledging the existance of GOD the CREATOR you all cool wit me. Especially with the issues you have with feeling the religions are being decieving and misguiding the masses. But yet you still sense GOD so atleast you havent strayed away from whats really important.
GOOD LUCK figuring out trust.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by wylekat

Don't ask questions- just listen to people who talk about God and gauge what their life is like. In some cases, gauge their mental health. I have run into a few wingdings who were so pro God, and walking on clouds... and in many cases, needed some solid drugs and a trip away in a room with rubber wallpaper.

Watch how the people who profess to be Christians act in their daily lives AWAY from church. How do they drive, do business with others.
Spot on...brilliant...I've done the same thing, and I've noticed the exact same things as you, excellent observations, and excellent contribution to this thread.

reply to post by dragonsmusic

Yerp...harsh but true...

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 09:13 AM
link   

My husband, who is Baptist, has been completely written off by his family because he cannot get me to attend church! Well, at least a Baptist one, anyway.

Reminds me of a joke:

A man dies and goes to Heaven. In heaven, he sees everyone has been divided into groups as to how they believed. He marvels at this, and then comes upon a HUGE wall with signs reading 'Do not disturb', 'SHHHH!', etc. He finds St Peter and asks him about the wall, and St Peter says "That's where we keep the baptists. We have to be quiet, as they are convinced they are the ONLY ONES HERE.

[edit on 30-4-2010 by wylekat]

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by CHA0S

You are correct in saying that the only person you trust is your 'self'. This is the only one you should rely on. You are all you need because everything is inside you. The whole of the cosmos is there.

You are what you have been waiting for!

You have created your physicality to observe your self, from the point of your self. We are all observing our selves here in this physical realm. So doesn't it make sense that you should rely on your self?

Check out any info on the Holographic Universe and you will see exactly how it works. The beauty is the simplicity!

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Humanity don't know jack about the true creator of all. If they do they are lying.

So far from what my research of GOD is that he only cares for some and the rest are just cannon fodder. I believe in GOD as well. I feel as if I am part of the cannon fodder group. I should be atheist by now, but I have been through too much in my life to not do it. Just find GOD on your own. That is all I can say. If you classify me, then I would say I am a Deist.

:bash:

[edit on 1-5-2010 by dragnet53]

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by dragnet53

Thanks for that brilliant post. That is exactly what I needed to hear...I needed to know some people out there are capable of believing in a God whilst still avoiding all the lies and deceit...you clearly have your eyes open and your brain in gear...quite refreshing.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   

you may find these interesting-

One man considers one day more sacred than another; another man considers every day alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind. -Rom14.5

Stop bringing meaningless offerings!
Your incense is detestable to me.
New Moons, Sabbaths and convocations—
I cannot bear your evil assemblies.
Your New Moon festivals and your appointed feasts
my soul hates.
They have become a burden to me;
I am weary of bearing them.-Is1.13

Is this the kind of fast I have chosen,
only a day for a man to humble himself?
Is it only for bowing one's head like a reed
and for lying on sackcloth and ashes?
Is that what you call a fast,
a day acceptable to the LORD ?

6 "Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen:
to loose the chains of injustice
and untie the cords of the yoke,
to set the oppressed free
and break every yoke?-Is58.5

There remains, then, a Sabbath-rest for the people of God-Heb4.9

For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them-Matt18.20

The Spirit and the bride say, "Come!"-Rev22.17

the Most High does not live in temples made by men.-Acts7.48

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   

reply to post by dragnet53

Thanks for that brilliant post. That is exactly what I needed to hear...I needed to know some people out there are capable of believing in a God whilst still avoiding all the lies and deceit...you clearly have your eyes open and your brain in gear...quite refreshing.

Yeah, I have been soul searching of the true meaning of God for a long time. I have seen people who believe in God and have a good life and seen others like myself who do believe in God and don't have a good life. The same can be said about people who don't believe in God.

My research has also taken me to the Sumerian tablets as well but that is for a different thread.

Just like I said just find your own research and don't listen to anybody.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Guess it begins with faith. Don't put all your trust in the individual, put it in Christ and the Bible. You say the Bible was written by man...We believe it was...but it was inspired by God. So again it comes back to faith. With faith man may be shown things...or experience things that man can express but but only the faithful will recognize...however to that person it is proof.

Yeah it's confusing to me too. lol

Just exercise faith and you will find your way.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   

It's called faith.
Yes, but it's not faith in God, it's faith in HUMANS. If you follow the teachings of an organized religion and shape your life around those teachings, everything you do, your entire life, is structured around things which HUMANS have taught you. If you want to believe a God exists, and you be the best person you can...fine...absolutely fine...as long as you don't push your beliefs on others, and blindly follow a whole bunch of crap which has obviously been thought up by ancient men, with absolutely no proof, except the word of HUMANS.

I think you just answered your own question. Believe in yourself. Follow your own heart.

[edit on 5/4/2010 by Solarskye]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join