It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boy Scouts Offer New Merit Pin -- for Video Gaming

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Boy Scouts Offer New Merit Pin -- for Video Gaming

www.foxnews.com

The Boy Scouts of America — a group founded on the principles of building character and improving physical fitness — have introduced a brand new award for academic achievement in video gaming, a move that has child health experts atwitter.

A Scout is trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous and kind — and completely addicted to Nintendo Wii.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Well, as if we hadn't seen it all by now.

When I was a scout, this would've been like finding your Dad's Playboy stash and spending a certain number of hours each day to earn the merit badge. Pure nonsense, character building???!!!

Think maybe the Boy Scouts of America have been infiltrated too?

In all, the Scouts have introduced 13 new merit pins this year for a wide range of topics: Disability Awareness, Family Travel, Good Manners, Hiking, Hockey, Horseback Riding, Kickball, Nutrition, Pet Care, Photography, Reading and Writing, Skateboarding, and Video Games.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 28-4-2010 by 1SawSomeThings]

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Although i would prefer the kids were out being prepared in the bush.Kids of today are into games and if it gets them involved in helping old ladies across the street its ok.Its better than have them watch the drivel on TV.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   
I'm not sure how playing video games encourages young people to help little old ladies across the street as the other poster mentioned.

It seems more likely that video games would encourage kids to blow someone up or gun them down. LOL!

That being said, What a great idea! Way to go Boy Scouts!

But why stop there?

I think the Boy Scouts should also give out badges for watching TV and eating fast food too. Yay Boy Scouts!

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 12:03 AM
link   
They'd better be careful.

I mean, look what happened to Ender Wiggin.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by 12voltz
Although i would prefer the kids were out being prepared in the bush.Kids of today are into games and if it gets them involved in helping old ladies across the street its ok.Its better than have them watch the drivel on TV.

Yes the BSA to some degree here should avoid looking like a bore to kids. Besides its only one Merit area.

My son played a good deal of the more technical vidio games in his youth and graduated NHS and is in college. On the other hand I took him to a cub scout meating once and he wanted to never go back. It was lame to him. He played chess as well and won awards in his youth. He played football and was a lineman but used to play chess with teachers at his school.

Anyway vidio games can sharpen or dull the mind depending I suppose. The down side to it all is wasting time indoors if you consider it wasting time. I have noticed on a bright sunny day the absence of kids running around or playing ball in the park as in my youth.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Are the scouts today achieving so few badges that they had to create this gimme badge?? I guess that is to be expected in the 'everybody gets a trophy' age.

Reminds me of the Air Force. They have a half a dozen ribbons/medals that you get for simply existing in the service.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 12:20 AM
link   
This is the land of political correctness in all facets of life. When you have a generation of kids that didn't grow up with camping, fishing, working, self sufficiency and all the trait that made the boyscouts what it was, and that generation is frankly uninterested in many of those archaic activities and processes of learning, you apparently have to find something to substitute so as not to make them feel badly.

Well Johnny, you may not be able to build a fire...or catch a fish, or pitch a tent, or help an elderly lady across the street, but you sure can play those games. Congratulations, you're a real boyscout now!

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by FrostForests

Oh well you will love this then. I traped and killed about 30 raccoons had my son help to some degree. We took the furs down to the fur house got the check and went and bought him his first play station with some of the funds. True story.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by 1SawSomeThings

I have a few questions, not of the Boy Scouts of America, but of those posting.

1) Are any of you currently involved within the B.S.A. as of right now?

2) What exactly is wrong and or right about this particular recognition?

3) Does this really help and or assist this website and or the B.S.A. in any way whatsoever?

Sorry, guess it just really grinds my gears, considering I'm an adult leader in the B.S.A.

[ats=100x37][atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/eaa9092bedda.jpg[/atsimg][/ats]

[edit on 29-4-2010 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by SpartanKingLeonidas

1. No but I was a member in my youth.

2. Already stated.

3. Dont really understand the question in this context.

So your an adult leader in the BAS how does this hack you off?

To me the BSA was sort of a pseudo something anyway. Not saying things cant be learned and good time cant be had now mind you. Like the time we camped next to the girl scouts at the jamboree one year.

[edit on 29-4-2010 by Logarock]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Logarock

2. Already stated.

To me the BSA was sort of a pseudo something anyway. Not saying things cant be learned and good time cant be had now mind you. Like the time we camped next to the girl scouts at the jamboree one year.

Thank you.

1) Accepted, I was a Webelos, as a youth, parents couldn't afford it anymore after that.

I was later a Police Explorer as a teenager, when home schooled for High School.

I have been an adult leader for four years now.

2) I did read your reply and respected it, I am clarifying the thread posters, over all.

3) It is a pretty simplistic question which is self-explanatory.

It grinds my gears, specifically, because no matter anyone's beliefs on Government, America, organizations, or what have you , if you're not a part of it, then no one really has a damn clue about anything done, said, or seen within.

No disrespect, directly and or indirectly, towards you.

Quote :

Any one who has common sense will remember that the bewilderments of the eyes are of two kinds, and arise from two causes, either from coming out of the light or from going into the light, which is true of the mind's eye, quite as much as of the bodily eye; and he who remembers this when he sees any one whose vision is perplexed and weak, will not be too ready to laugh; he will first ask whether that soul of man has come out of the brighter light, and is unable to see because unaccustomed to the dark, or having turned from darkness to the day is dazzled by excess of light.

Plato, The Republic

[edit on 29-4-2010 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpartanKingLeonidas

Originally posted by Logarock

2. Already stated.

Quote :

Any one who has common sense will remember that the bewilderments of the eyes are of two kinds, and arise from two causes, either from coming out of the light or from going into the light, which is true of the mind's eye, quite as much as of the bodily eye; and he who remembers this when he sees any one whose vision is perplexed and weak, will not be too ready to laugh; he will first ask whether that soul of man has come out of the brighter light, and is unable to see because unaccustomed to the dark, or having turned from darkness to the day is dazzled by excess of light.

Plato, The Republic

This is great. I would dare add that if one thinks he sees a blind man dont move around him without speaking. Who is really blind the blind man or the spy?

But anyway yea.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 01:35 AM
link   

1) Never went past cub scouts, but I have volunteered with the BSA as an instructor for certain skills, etc.

2) Nothing is inherently wrong with this, but it seems unnecessary and probably not the best avenue for the BSA to spend time on. The only real benefit I could see is the simple accomplishment of earning a badge.

3) Not significantly.

I commend you for your work with the BSA.

I don't think this one addition is going to impact the organization at all. The pause and 'really?' reaction from people learning about it is all that will likely come of it.
I can think of a handful of categories that would have made better additions than this one thou.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Next thing you know they'll be rewarding the little guys for scouting for boys.

oof!

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 02:07 AM
link   

I have a few questions, not of the Boy Scouts of America, but of those posting.

Okay, Ask away!

1) Are any of you currently involved within the B.S.A. as of right now?

I'm not. I try not to get involved with organizations who are in bed with the government.

2) What exactly is wrong and or right about this particular recognition?

If you mean what is wrong or right with a merrit badge for playing video games, I say nothing! I think B.S.A. should also give badges for watching movies!

3) Does this really help and or assist this website and or the B.S.A. in any way whatsoever?

This question really doesn't make sense as it is written. I'll take a gander that you want to know if disapproving of the boy scouts offering a merrit badge for video games is assisting this website or the B.S.A.???

If that is your question, I would say yes. It's always good to allow the open, respectful and uncensored discussion of any topic or organization, esspecially those that deal with the development of our children.

Sorry, guess it just really grinds my gears, considering I'm an adult leader in the B.S.A.

Okay. Being honest and sharing your feelings in a polite manner is good when something bothers you. I hope that you can work through your anger and be okay with those who don't think that a B.S.A. video badge is a worthy accomplishment to be encouraged in our youth.

Oh, and by the way, I think that you may have stretched out this thread by inserting the sexist "motivational" poster your post.

Oh and just wanted to add...Keep up the good work with our kids!

[edit on 29-4-2010 by illusions]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wolf321

1) Never went past cub scouts, but I have volunteered with the BSA as an instructor for certain skills, etc.

2) Nothing is inherently wrong with this, but it seems unnecessary and probably not the best avenue for the BSA to spend time on. The only real benefit I could see is the simple accomplishment of earning a badge.

3) Not significantly.

I commend you for your work with the BSA.

I don't think this one addition is going to impact the organization at all. The pause and 'really?' reaction from people learning about it is all that will likely come of it.
I can think of a handful of categories that would have made better additions than this one thou.

1) Kudos for you.

If I may ask what skills have you taught?

Have you learned and or enjoyed the experience as much as those within the B.S.A.?

2) Well, I did ask what I asked, based upon the people, I did never state that I agreed and or disagreed with that particular policy and or recognition to begin with.

3) Thank you for your honesty.

Thank you for commendation, it is appreciated, over all I get my enjoyment out of the experience, training, and or knowledge which is passed on to other adult leaders and through them to those youth they assist through character development.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Gets kids in the door so not a bad thing.

Scouting the world over has underwent a few changes these past few years - not least of which is having Bear Gryles as Chief Scout.

If a kid comes in so he can get the gamer badge and experiences a few more things that normally he wouldn't have access to then I'm all for it.

Kids need to learn to cook, clean, sew, survive in the wild and respect others all within a disciplined and rewarding framework.

I think it's a great idea!

-m0r

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 02:16 AM
link   

If I may ask what skills have you taught?

Have you learned and or enjoyed the experience as much as those within the B.S.A.?

First Aid and Orienteering

I enjoyed helping out, and was pleased to see that the organization had grown and was more active compared to when I was young.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 02:24 AM
link   
reply to post by 1SawSomeThings

They have been infiltrated is started with the whole gay den leader thing years ago. They want our kids and now they have them in school and out of school welcome to the progressive utopia.

They know what is best and it's not just us look around is is all over the world all at once. They will be telling this story 500 years from now how the progressives took over the world using the people's own fear and political correctness to lead their way. What fools we are.

[edit on 29-4-2010 by Subjective Truth]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join