It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'This is Alabama; we speak English,' governor candidate says

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Article

Amid a national debate over Arizona's tough new immigration law, Republican Alabama gubernatorial candidate Tim James (and son of previous Gov. Fob James) vows in a new campaign ad that if he's elected, he'll give the state driver's license exam only in English, as a cost-saving measure.

"This is Alabama; we speak English," he says in the ad. "If you want to live here, learn it."

It's not clear how James thinks the change would save the state money. Marc Ambinder of the Atlantic says Alabama could actually lose billions of dollars in federal funding if it enacts the measure, and he points to an Alabama political blog that runs down the legal history for why the exams are in multiple languages.

James says he's been attacked by the left for the ad, singling out MSNBC host Rachel Maddow. A writer on her blog called the ad "just plain mean" and argued it was simply pandering to the candidate's conservative base.

I saw this on the front page of Yahoo.com's news. I totally support the "english only" on drivers liscense.

Ever since Arizona did their law, it looks like other states are following along pretty darn fast. Just a bit ago, another thread was made about a Texas lawmaker introducting a bill similar to Arizona's, and then Ohio is basically doing the same thing. If the Federal Goverment got off their butts and did something, this wouldnt be happening.

Alabama may lose federal funding just because the liscense will only be in english. How messed up is that? This is our country, we speak english, learn it or leave it.

+14 more 
posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I fully support it as well. Road signs are in English. I wouldn't expect to get a driver's license (or equivalent) in France if I didn't speak French.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by jjkenobi

Exactly!

Same with the press 1 for english and 2 for other languages stuff. Why do we have to recoginze another language when we are an english speaking country? And the people that dont speak english get fed up and start wailing and going nuts over it....learn OUR damn language people. This aint the United States of Spanish or anything like that.

I mean our freaking laws are in english, that alone should establish an english language dominance inside our country.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by jjkenobi
I fully support it as well. Road signs are in English. I wouldn't expect to get a driver's license (or equivalent) in France if I didn't speak French.

When I was stationed in Germany I had to get a German drivers license. The test was horrendous.

Over 100 signs on the test plus a written test.

The written questions was in English, but the answers and all 100 signs was in German. It was the most difficult test I had ever taken because I had to pretty much learn the whole driving law in a complete foreign language.

I don't see why we don't do the same.

Oh and I passed after 2 weeks of heavy studying and drove for 3 years without 1 incident.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by buni11687
Article

Amid a national debate over Arizona's tough new immigration law, Republican Alabama gubernatorial candidate Tim James (and son of previous Gov. Fob James) vows in a new campaign ad that if he's elected, he'll give the state driver's license exam only in English, as a cost-saving measure.

"This is Alabama; we speak English," he says in the ad. "If you want to live here, learn it."

It's not clear how James thinks the change would save the state money. Marc Ambinder of the Atlantic says Alabama could actually lose billions of dollars in federal funding if it enacts the measure, and he points to an Alabama political blog that runs down the legal history for why the exams are in multiple languages.

James says he's been attacked by the left for the ad, singling out MSNBC host Rachel Maddow. A writer on her blog called the ad "just plain mean" and argued it was simply pandering to the candidate's conservative base.

I saw this on the front page of Yahoo.com's news. I totally support the "english only" on drivers liscense.

Ever since Arizona did their law, it looks like other states are following along pretty darn fast. Just a bit ago, another thread was made about a Texas lawmaker introducting a bill similar to Arizona's, and then Ohio is basically doing the same thing. If the Federal Goverment got off their butts and did something, this wouldnt be happening.

Alabama may lose federal funding just because the liscense will only be in english. How messed up is that? This is our country, we speak english, learn it or leave it.

Because I live in Australia I don't fully understand whats going on in Alabama, however I get the drift.

Here we have some very "colorfull" expressions as well regarding the above comment.

One is "Australia love it or leave it", this being directly pointed at certain middle eastern immigrants from a country who are trouble makers world wide.

The second one is a bumper style sticker which says "Australia were full, F**K OFF". This one is directly pointed at the onging barrage of "boat people" coming from Indonesia. The people IN the boats are NOT from Indonesia, BUT Afganistan and Iraq.

Now these people claim to be poorles refugees, however it is claimed that thay have to pay the smugglers $5,000 US, to get a "lift".

Something wrong here fellas, the problem some people forget IS, that all these infiltraters are costing YOU and I some serious tax dollars and I don't like it.

I'm not a racist, just a patriot who wants whats right and just, and paying $5,000 US to get a free inbound ticket pi**es me off BIG TIME.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by downunderET

Although I dont really know much about illegal immigration in Australia, to me it seems kind of the same as what we are dealing with here in the US.

Im all for LEGAL immigration, its the illegals that really piss me off. How hard is it to do it legally???? I mean come on people, do the damn process legally. Now the illegals are complaining like "Omg Ive lived here for 5 years and sucking out taxpayer money while I dont do squat, and now I gotta go back to my home country or go to jail, cry cry cry." Well, they should of done their immigration legally. And its not just latinos, im talking about illegal immigrants from all over the world.

I feel no sadness for illegals that have to go back to their own country or go to jail. Its their own damn fault.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Yeah try going to Europe without learning the local customs or languages.

They will ask you to leave. No joke.

In fact they won't even give you any service if you cannot speak the local language.

Hell try going to China or anywhere for that matter.

When in Rome.....

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
The United States doesn't have an official language.

I believe if the percentage of Alabamans who are Spanophones is equal to or higher than that of the national average, they should allow the Spanish option to remain for the driver's test. It makes sense that all states would offer tests such as that in at least the two most spoken languages therein.

Also, most road signs are symbols with distinct shapes and colors. Even worded ones typically contain only one word, which doesn't exactly take a brain surgeon for drivers of other native tongues to learn.

This was my first post btw, hope you enjoyed. lol.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

I mean its common sense to learn the langauge of the country your going to. Learning the laws is pretty much common sense to. If I wanted to move to Russia or another country, I would definantly learn the language, laws, and basically the way everything works.

I hate when the illegals are all "Its not fair, blah blah blah, my familia is going to be split up, cry boo hoo." Whatever, that was their descision to break the law, dont be sad when they send them back.

If I didnt know jack about a country I illegally immigrated to, Id be sure as heck that id be getting sent back home. It seems like these illegals think they are supposed to get "special" treatment or something.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by RulerOfAll

English is the official language of the United States. Its what our Constitution was written in.

And welcome to ATS

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Yes, because it is the de facto national language. However, it is not legally the national language.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
English is what holds the nation together, whether the nation knows it or not.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by RulerOfAll
The United States doesn't have an official language.

I believe if the percentage of Alabamans who are Spanophones is equal to or higher than that of the national average, they should allow the Spanish option to remain for the driver's test. It makes sense that all states would offer tests such as that in at least the two most spoken languages therein.

Also, most road signs are symbols with distinct shapes and colors. Even worded ones typically contain only one word, which doesn't exactly take a brain surgeon for drivers of other native tongues to learn.

This was my first post btw, hope you enjoyed. lol.

I fear it won't be your last.
America, speak it or leave it!

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
But really shouldn't he of said "We speak English...poorly and with bad grammer...but it still kind of sounds like English"???

I'm just saying...for a country that is so proud of English being their language...you would think more people would put in the effort to learn to speack it correctly...let's not even talk about spelling (believe me...I'm guilty as well on that charge).

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by RulerOfAll

I do understand english is not the "official" language, of the US, no language is "official" here. But it is the language our goverment uses and has been using since this nation was born.

Everything important has been in english and thats why I get upset when non-english speakers come into the country and start crying about everything, especially the illegals.

Just because english isnt "officially" the US language dosent mean anyone can just walk in here not knowing anything about it and expect it to change just for them. Its kind of like me walking into taco bell and ordering some french cuisine and getting pissed at taco bell because they dont serve french food there. Thats not the best analogy, but its kind of along the same lines.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Sounds reasonable to me. Nobody goes to Mexico and demands they speak English. Nobody goes to Germany and demands they speak English. Nobody goes to France and demands they speak English. Why should we have to speak a foreigners language in our own country? No other country does, nor should they be expected to, and neither should we.

[edit on 28-4-2010 by Raverous]

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Raverous

You have obviously never been to a tourist area of Mexico.

I wonder if the local Mexicans complain about the resorts speaking English.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I could see a movement coming soon where states start to begin to declare their official language english. With the way Arizona's bill spread so fast, I could see the same thing happening with declaring english the official language.

Next thing you know, people will be protesting that they shouldnt be required to speak english.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Though I can understand why he would insist the exam be given in English since the signage on American roads is in English, I think his overall beef is with the fact that in addition to Spanish, they're currently giving it in 11 other languages, which they have to pay for in production costs.

Seriously, Farsi? In Alabama?

As far as the assertion that it should be in multiple languages since the United States doesn't have an "official" language, I have to disagree. Whatever the Consitution is written in is what the national language should be, officially or not. Besides, isn't that a smack in the face to all the other nationalities who migrated here and learned English?

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Legion2112

In my opinion, there shouldnt be any other language than english on drvers liscense exams. I think the current way it is, is a waste - 11 languages. And I agree - Farsi? I highly doubt there would be any reason for Farsi languages on our roads. Overall, I believe the entire exam should be in english in Alabama, and all other US states.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join