It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'This is Alabama; we speak English,' governor candidate says

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by 5 oClock

Im going to be doing the same thing. I know Texas has already introduced a bill similar to Arizona's, but Im still going to send some e-mails to my senators,reps, and the governer, just to keep the pressue up. I believe anyone that supports this should do the same thing.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by MilzGatez

Point simply being that the problem with illegal immigrants isn't limited to just the border area. There are immigration problems in Kansas and Wyoming!

It affects everyone.

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck

Point simply being that the problem with illegal immigrants isn't limited to just the border area. There are immigration problems in Kansas and Wyoming!

It affects everyone.

TheRedneck

Yes, I know. I'm aware of that that it just isnt the borders. Just the misuse and mispower of that bill that gets to me but also, like i mentioned before, there's other ways to fix this problem because we all know NOT every illegal come in to start problems and use the system. I agree those who only start causing trouble should be sent back(gangmembers (MS-13, every little cali clicks),criminals,fruads,etc). Just again, the Misused of the power is what i'm complaining about.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   
While I think we should get tough on illegals, I agree that this Arizona law is a bad idea. Mexican-Americans shouldn't have to live in constant fear of police. There are Mexican-American citizens who will be impacted by this, and that's not right. They aren't the bad guys. Ultimately, something must be done because things have gotten out of hand. I think in this Arizona case the courts will overturn the law. We need to look at other more reasonable options. Anyone got any other ideas? Milz has valid complaints.

[edit on 28-4-2010 by Nemesis0123]

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I know what we went through to get my wife and daughter to America.

They started to learn English in China 2 years before they finally got their visa's to come and be with me and then we applied for their Green Cards.

I'm Very, Proud of My Family and they speak ENGLISH yes, I understand Mandarin Chinese and had to understand enough Chinese to work there, But that is a Different Story.

You don't want to know what I hear the Chinese say about Illegals when the phone is on speaker and the family is yanking away.

[edit on 28-4-2010 by guohua]

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Any time there are human beings in charge of doing something, there will be some abuse. But that doesn't mean that nothing should ever be done. We do the best we can, and try to correct abuse at every turn.

Anyone who enters the United States illegally is already guilty of a crime. Once one becomes a criminal once, it is a very small step to becoming a criminal again... and again...and again... The only way to make sure that only those who will not abuse the system and commit crimes enter is to have a legal and controlled immigration process. We have that. I am glad we do.

But the problem comes in when people start to illegally cross the border. Once here, they realize that they cannot appeal to authorities to correct wrongs done to them, because that opens them up to prosecution themselves. That means unscrupulous people in our own society can harm them with impunity. That leads to more crime, and it leads to a lack of opportunity for everyone... for the illegals because they will never get an even break, and for the legal citizens because they demand an even break.

Mexicans are some of the hardest working people I have ever seen. As long as they come here legally I have no problem with them doing so at all. I have no problem with them speaking Spanish in their home or even in public amongst themselves. But they have to know English if they want to become a part of our society... and if they don't want to become a part of our society, they don't need to be in our society. They need to go home.

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Whether the language spoken by the most vocal of Alabamans can honorably be called "English" is debatable.

What is clear, at least to me, is that there are an awful lot of people on this old planet just "itchin'" to take out their life's frustrations on some one they can reasonably distinguish from "one of their own".

You all (or for the those prefer: y'all) do realize that all languages change over time; if I might risk another hot button, one might say that language evolves!

One of the primary influences in this evolution is Population. As the predominent population of a given geographical area changes, so too will the language spoken in that area.

OK, fight it all you want. You'll be about as effective fighting this simple process as you would be in trying to stop your fall from a high cliff by flapping your arms like a bird (or your gums, like a political candidate!).

Now here's the REALLY SCARY part, at least for some of you; Hispanics are amoung the fastest growing, if not the fastest growing minority in the US. That's right, "whitey's" on his way out!

Things change. You can't stop it.

Think the US (and by extesion, Alabama) is an English speaking country? The Cherokee, the Souix, the Apache, Iriquois, Hopi, Navaho, and dozens of other folks who's people were here long before you, might disagree.

Aren't you lucky they didn't disagree 300 years ago; which, by the way is when My ancestors arrived on these shores (can't say "in this country" because "this country" wouldn't even exist for another 76 years.).

Ya' a'ta He!

We seem to forget that the United States, unlike almost every other country on the planet, except maybe Australia and New Zealand (whose own native peoples could/should have forced their language on the the "illegal" immigrants from Britian IMO) was the result of immigrants. And many of those came to the "New Country" without proper documents: there was no Ellis Island to process the Pilgrims, the Huguenots, the fur traders, or the Conquistadores.

English may have evolved to become the language currently most commonly (in every sense of the word!) spoken...

But, That Does Not Mean That English will Remain the Most Commonly Spoken!

And what will all those "English Only" whiners do Then?

Right. You'll run crying and "litigatin'" to the Gubanmint cuz yo' rights ha' bin violated. Predictable.

It may be just my opinion, but I think the Real reason anybody would support an "English Only" movement is because they know that they lack the intellectual capacity to adapt to a "non-English" society: they know how to "dish it out" but they know that they can't "take it" in turn.

Then again, at the current rate of decline in literacy and verbal comprehension, those of us who can adapt will only have to listen to a series of pre-vocal grunts and whines from those who could not.

Welcome to the Monkey House, indeed!

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   
'This is Alabama; we speak English,' governor candidate says

Oh, really, sir?! Then maybe next time, your state's businesses should advertise in English for workers

In the late 1990s, a huge billboard in Tijuana, Mexico, sponsored by Gold Kist, offered a promising future. Its message: "Mucho Trabajo en [Much Work in] Russellville, Alabama," followed by a local labor recruiter's telephone number. Freelance recruiters along the border in Mexico and Texas regularly bused willing Hispanic workers directly to jobs in Alabama plants.

Encyclopedia of Alabama

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Maybe they should all get the free version of Rosetta Stone to learn english, i hear it is great software...www.rosettastone.com...

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Bhadhidar

That is one of the single most ignorant posts I have ever read on ATS and I feel dumber for having read it.

By your logic, the few remaining natives in South America that weren't killed off should just get over the fact that the Conquistadors destroyed their culture and that Spanish is now the predominate language. You want to play cultural relativism? Fine, it's a two-man sport.

English is the predominant language in the United States, period. Those that would ingratiate themselves into that culture would be better served by learning it. It has nothing to do with our "intellectual incapacity" to learn another language. It has everything to do with respecting the country you are apparently fleeing to because your own is so rediculously corrupt and violence-ridden that we seem the better choice.

Believe it or not, there are people in the states that can, at the very least, have passable conversation in multiple languages and yet still think those coming to this country should have respect for it enough to learn a little of the language that is predominately spoken here.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

I want all signs business or otherwise to be in English (ONLY). I am so tired of driving in to parts of town and not being able to read a single word. It starts with a couple of stores and more and more people move out, long established businesses close, and more foreign owned businesses move in and pretty soon an entire part of a major city is lost. Its a virus killing cities from within.

If you want to live in the United States learn English and use it. I don't think its too much to ask. Support multiple languages, I don't care, but advertise externally in English.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

As a proud Alabamian, I will be voting for Tim James come November. And that ad is what finally made up my mind for me.

Mr Redneck...I respect your individual right to vote for whoever and for whatever reason you want to.

But I have to ask...is English as the offical language of Alabama the most pressing issue your state faces???

Does Alabama have the jobs situation, housing, education, banking, healthcare, state budget, roads, bridges, and environmental issues all worked out? And all that is left to worry about is what language should be the official one???

If so...well then maybe I'll move to Alabama

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   
This topic sounds like a plot for a comedy show. Is this clown running on this platform a comedian?

Um, dude, please begin by teaching **ALL** native and LEGAL Alabamans how to speak and READ AND WRITE english first.

Have you ever had to decipher redneck country? With a thick country accent? Come visit me some time, and see if you can understand me. Boomhower on King of the Hill anyone? I can decipher him.

I think this platform is a great platform it highlights this man's ignorance and racism, so voters who care about human rights and dignity can avoid him at the polls.

Boy immigration just became an overnight hot button issue.....or is it just election time again?

From the article in the OP:

""I have come under attack and under assault by a very interesting group of far-left reporters," he said Monday, according to the Birmingham News. He said English exams are a public safety issue, to ensure drivers can read signs. Exams are currently given in Arabic, Chinese, English, Farsi, French, German, Greek, Japanese, Korean, Russian, Spanish, Thai and Vietnamese, according to AOL News."

First off this clown is claiming this will SAVE the state money. ORLY? And what about legal citizens of this country who speak those other languages you wanna get rid of, sir? I guess they are out of luck.

As far as saving money for Ala. taxpayers, not likely. This clown is banking on the rising Tide of Anti Illegal Aliens that is swelling, by trying to surf it all the way to the ballot box. Lame, and I would hope Alabamans are smarter than this, to see through such poorly performed pandering. Here is what the article from the OP had to say about saving money:

"It's not clear how James thinks the change would save the state money. Marc Ambinder of the Atlantic says Alabama could actually lose billions of dollars in federal funding if it enacts the measure, and he points to an Alabama political blog that runs down the legal history for why the exams are in multiple languages."

Who needs federal funds anyway? Not this guy.

There is no official language because we are a free country. I wonder how many legals speak a different language?

This type of xenophobia and racism has inspired me. I am going to learn a second language if my old brains can take it, and I am going to quit speaking english. As a legal citizen that is my right. And if I cant learn me a new language I will make one up.

Too busy drinking in the xenophobia of the concept of this thread to have actually located the blog that discusses why this candidate's idea is NOT going to save taxpayers money?

here ya go.

latimesblogs.latimes.com...

"The reality is that road signs are understandable to people who don't read the language," Joyner told The Ticket. "I've driven in places where they don't speak English and managed to get around just fine. The signs are intentionally pictographs, designed to be intuitively recognizable in an instant from a distance."

What about the money angle? University of Alabama professor David Lanoue told the Ticket that it would probably end up costing the state money.

"It seems almost certain that any money saved by not administering multi-language tests would be more than offset by the legal fees the state would incur when the law was challenged in court," Lanoue said."

And to top it off it seems this man has been running behind in the polls, so here comes the pandering in force with this english only immigrant bashing ad.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by RulerOfAll

Living in Alabama I don't think I've yet to meet more than a handful of people that have a phobia for anything or anyone dealing with the spanish language or foriegn countries. BUT down here we speak English. If we go to another country and plan on living there we figure we need to learn the language. If we're going to a country with a different language that wants our tourist bucks while we are there we expect them at the tourist attactions to know enough to tell us where the bathroom is. They also know we're going to bring our behinds right back home. We don't plan on staying their and trying to make their country bend over backwards and cater to us.

Some of us down here look at it this way when we get a new job we don't get the top job at the place to start out with. We have to work and learn what we need to know to get ahead. The same it should be with people coming into this country. One of the first steps they should do is learn the language used by the people of that area. In Alabama it's english maybe southern english but it still passes for english.

We also have people that still read down here in Alabama. Not all of our road signs are picture signs. Especially the warning and hazard signs and men working signs. The merge over computerized signs. The accident in this lane signs don't have pictures either.

If they can't read these signs and have an accident with only english speaking people in a state that english has been the main language in since it became a state tell me this: will they be able to fill out the accident form? Do they understand they need insurance? Can they understand english well enough to answer any questions about what happened in the accident? Would it not be to their own advantge to learn english so us Alabamians wouldn't take advantage of their ignorance of our primary language?

fyi this redneck in Al does speak spanish and not that text book crap they teach in school but from mexican friends that also believe you do them a diservice by not expecting them to have english as their first language over here. The believe they came here to be Americans not Mexican-Americans. They still speak spanish in their homes so their kids know both languages but when out in the world they want to speak the language of their new country.

If this guy wins it will just give the southern poverty law center and the aclu something else to do down here. You know they love us southerns so much they wouldn't have jobs if it wasn't for us. Or so they want everyone to believe.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

Ah no we still have a few problems down here. Like the biggest toxic waste dump (thank you monsanto). But down here we do get to vote if our property taxes go up! Guess what we have low property taxes down here lol.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 10:21 PM
link   
I get where all you are getting at... but, ¿What about the legal immagrants that came from some other American country and are learning about the culture and language? ¿shouldn't they be able to take the test in Spanish so they can understand? because maybe they can speak English but are not very good with many words so they prefer it in their native language

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by NightFlyer96

In my opinion, its okay to take a culture/the way things work here kind of test in their native language- as long as they continue to work on the english language.

But when it comes to driving tests, I believe they should be tested in english, because our signs are in english and if they get in an accident, they should be able to read the accident reports.

Basically, as long as the person knows the way things work here, thats all find and dandy, but make sure they know enough of basic english to be able to hold a conversation with someone, once they first enter our country. After that, continue working on improving their english until they are able to communicate just like the regular citizen.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by NightFlyer96

There's a lot of things in life we all would perfer to have our way. Life doesn't usually work that way. Here where I live in Alabama we have these printed manuals for you to study in English. You can take home and if needed have help from someone so you understand or help you study for the drivers test. Now if we let everyone have what they perfered I'm sure most people would say they'd rather not take any test you just give them the license.

Do you know what happens in a state up north when they pass the written test in spanish then they have to drive ? Well the person giving the driving test ask them can you speak english? The person with that person says they speak no english. The testing person then asks how will they know what I'm telling them to do? The person with the non english speaking person says I have to come with you. This non spanish speaking driving test person then says it's against the rules. Then you and everyone else have to keep standing in line while a big who haw is being raised by these people because of their rights. Foget everyone else they are putting out behind them it's all about them. To end it they bend the rules and then they let the interuptor for the spanish speaking person ride in the car during the driving test. It happens I was one of those people standing in line waiting to get my license transfered from one state to that state. So myself and the other people in that line stood there another 30 minutes because someone couldn't even understand english and wanted their rights. I'll even assume that person wanting their rights wasn't even an American citizen.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I think immigrants should learn English if they plan on being in this country, I would consider it a common courtesy and it also makes life a lot easier for everyone. I spent a month in Mexico back in 2004 (no, not Puerto Vallarta, Cancun etc.) in my best friends hometown. We spent a lot of time in Jalisco and Michoacan and I can tell you if you don't speak Spanish or have someone to translate for you then you are screwed. You will be hard pressed to find someone that speaks English or anything written in English. Luckily I'm pretty much fluent in Spanish, which seemed to earn me much more respect. If Mexican immigrants would learn the language or at least learn enough to communicate I think they would find that Americans would show them much more respect as well. Also, while I was down there I met some really awesome people. Even the poorest among them offered me food, something to drink or a place to stay. I will never forget their hospitality and kindness.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by buni11687
reply to post by jjkenobi

Exactly!

Same with the press 1 for english and 2 for other languages stuff. Why do we have to recoginze another language when we are an english speaking country? And the people that dont speak english get fed up and start wailing and going nuts over it....learn OUR damn language people. This aint the United States of Spanish or anything like that.

We have language option is because we are diverse. What make the U.S.A great is because it is supposedly be diverse, rich in culture (bit and pieces from everyone, whether you know it or not) . Some people who come here even by legal mean are in their 30's+, it is much harder to learn new things as you get older, especially language. After you immigrate here, you have to work; and if you have a family you have to take care of it! That leave no time to even learn for most people.

Originally posted by buni11687
reply to post by downunderET

Im all for LEGAL immigration, its the illegals that really piss me off. How hard is it to do it legally???? I mean come on people, do the damn process legally.

Have you done your research on how easy or hard it is do get here by legal mean? Do you know by doing by legal process, only certain amount of percentage from different country allow to immigrate here, and sometimes it might take 20 years to wait in line just get legalize here.

Sure, illegal suck, but are you willing to do horrible jobs for cheap bucks?

It is similar to when the gold rush phase back than is running dry, and the white people were blaming the Chinese for taking their job here when they were the one originally not willing to do the freaking dirty job with cheap pays!

If you want to blame for the recession/depression blame the government especially BUSH and his administration.

Originally posted by Raverous
Sounds reasonable to me. Nobody goes to Mexico and demands they speak English. Nobody goes to Germany and demands they speak English. Nobody goes to France and demands they speak English. Why should we have to speak a foreigners language in our own country? No other country does, nor should they be expected to, and neither should we.

[edit on 28-4-2010 by Raverous]

Let me see you speak Native American language first before you make that statement.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join