It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'This is Alabama; we speak English,' governor candidate says

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rynocerous7
I think immigrants should learn English if they plan on being in this country, I would consider it a common courtesy and it also makes life a lot easier for everyone. I spent a month in Mexico back in 2004 (no, not Puerto Vallarta, Cancun etc.) in my best friends hometown. We spent a lot of time in Jalisco and Michoacan and I can tell you if you don't speak Spanish or have someone to translate for you then you are screwed. You will be hard pressed to find someone that speaks English or anything written in English. Luckily I'm pretty much fluent in Spanish, which seemed to earn me much more respect. If Mexican immigrants would learn the language or at least learn enough to communicate I think they would find that Americans would show them much more respect as well. Also, while I was down there I met some really awesome people. Even the poorest among them offered me food, something to drink or a place to stay. I will never forget their hospitality and kindness.

Sure, they should learn to speak English, but most of them work in the background doing hard labor works while they don't communicate much with others who do speak English.

The get hire because they willing to do hard labor work and even over-time without complain.

If American people can do that or at least not complain about not being paid well enough for cheap or hard labor work that there will be no problem at all. Even well paying job, most "legal" citizen slack off in comparison to Mexican, it make most legal citizen especially the walk folks look worst than a lazy pig.

JMO

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Did anyone happen to read all of the other than english languages offered? Spanish is but one of over ten. Been in your state offices lately? Take a look around at all the literature. Been to court in your state?

If it is so important to speak english WHY is it that in every single state run office you enter, they have information in more than one language.

This Page does not say anything about learning english. And this is the government website I am linking to, please look in the upper right. Please, and thank you.

Government Immigration Page

[edit on 28-4-2010 by hotbakedtater]

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by downunderET

Now these people claim to be poorles refugees, however it is claimed that thay have to pay the smugglers $5,000 US, to get a "lift".

Something wrong here fellas, the problem some people forget IS, that all these infiltraters are costing YOU and I some serious tax dollars and I don't like it.

I'm not a racist, just a patriot who wants whats right and just, and paying $5,000 US to get a free inbound ticket pi**es me off BIG TIME.

Yes many of them are poor, sure they may pay $ 5,ooo to get here, but you do not know the detail of how they get those money do you?

In most cases the smuggler who smuggle them charge them a high interest rate loan.

In another word, it is another form of slavery.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by RulerOfAll
The United States doesn't have an official language.

Sure it does. Whatever language is written on The Constitution should be considered the official language. It certainly wasn't written by a couple of Mexicans was it!

IRM

[edit on 28/4/10 by InfaRedMan]

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 11:49 PM
link   
According to wikipedia, a majority of states have english as their "official" language.

Link to the map. -

Here is the page, titled "english only movement", but scroll down to "current law" and you will see the list of states that have english as their official language. Link

Wikipedia's list is below

English is an official language in these states:[20]
Alabama (1990)
Alaska (1998)[21]
Arizona (2006)[22]
Arkansas (1987)
California (1986)
Colorado (1988)
Florida (1988)
Georgia (1986, 1996)
Idaho (2007)
Illinois (1969)[23]
Indiana (1984)
Iowa (2002)
Kansas (2007)[24]
Kentucky (1984)
Massachusetts (1975)[25]
Mississippi (1987)
Missouri (1998)
Montana (1995)
Nebraska (1920)
New Hampshire (1995)
North Carolina (1987)
North Dakota (1987)
South Carolina (1987)
South Dakota (1987)
Tennessee (1984)
Utah (2000)
Virginia (1981, 1996)
Wyoming (1996)

[edit on 28-4-2010 by buni11687]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

Only saying this because I am an immigrant who had to learn english myself when I came to the U.S. from an eastern european country at the age of nine. I am tired of people too dam lazy to learn the language of the country they live in. I don't care what age you are or what your circumstances are, learn the language of the country you live in or shut the f-up.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by jitombe
reply to post by buni11687

Only saying this because I am an immigrant who had to learn english myself when I came to the U.S. from an eastern european country at the age of nine. I am tired of people too dam lazy to learn the language of the country they live in. I don't care what age you are or what your circumstances are, learn the language of the country you live in or shut the f-up.

Easy for you to say especially since you came here when you are 9!

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 01:02 AM
link   
How is it that a foreigner that has moved to a state to live and work, can't speak a lick of English, but has the ability to find the social services office in every state of the union?

Unfortunately for most states, if they printed all documents in Enlish only, the Federal government would eventually take away funding if they didn't go bilingual on everything.

Another sad fact of life to think about. Even in places like Alabama, within so many years in the near future, there will be so many Hispanics, both legal and illegal living there, that the white man will be a minority. How's that for irony? That demographic was put out by the Federal government, talking about different areasof the country.

You might as well learn to speak spanglish now, cause you'll need to know it just to buy something at the local grocery store soon enough. if you want to know what it's like living in a Latin American country, without leaving the US---go to Miami FL. Good example.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Reply to post by OutKast Searcher

You and someone else have both said "shouldn't of" and "shouldn't he of". Talk about bad grammar? Its "shouldn't HAVE" or "shouldn't he HAVE" People create a contraction in spoken English that looks like this: "shouldn't've". Its short for: "should not have". The second one is: "shouldn't he've". Which is short for: "should not he have". There is a grammar lesson, since you speak English so well compared to the backwards hicks over there in Ala.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 02:08 AM
link   
I used to feel this way about the US. But frankly, my opinion has changed. We are a multicultural country. Lots of communities speak various languages and use different colloquial versions of English. Sometimes the slang and colloquialisms of the English language vary so much that even someone who speaks English may have a hard time understanding. I don't see a problem with accomodating to people who don't speak English. Maybe we could go back to setting a good example to the rest of the world. Stop being so intolerant of people. They're humans too, you know?

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Ok, since people have a problem with people that cant speak english or read it. Why dont you people blame the government and the state? Why arent there's free education to learn English? Why not make a non-profit org that will help people to learn english?

Matter of fact, Why our education system is all messed up? My cousin born and lived in Dominican Republic,learned english over there,now living here and is NYPD and among others, they finish High School by 15-16, They learn any language that is given there which the main one is English and start college at a younger age then people here this in "great" nation that we are in?

They arent the ones to blame, The higher ups are.. Should really do something about the borders (even tho they make profit with the drugs thats coming in), If an illegal is actually an criminal or gangmember or not here to do good then off they go, if one is caught, do a background check, if something is funny, do another in-depth background check and make sure that person is here legally with a job even if its off the books and look into his family in the household that they attending school,learning how to be legal,just trying to make a living and among other little things that could resolve this problem without offending anybody. Surely it will be a slow process but it will get the problem fixed.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by jjkenobi

in europe you can change your driving license if you have an address there and it has your photo on it . no problem.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Buni, that list has my state of Kentucky on it. I can tell you to this day every state and federal office offer paperwork in different languages. Also, I can assure you here in Kentucky english may be the official language, but there are plenty who cannot speak read or write it.

However, I looked this up and it looks like KY INTRODUCED legislation, but it wasnt in the 1980's it was in 2007, and there is nothing on the page stating it passed. Where did you get your information? Wiki? Mine comes from elsewhere, anyway whats the point of having an official language if you still provide other language paperwork and translators? This story claims the 2007 legislation stalled, and we were going to go to english only on driver exams but Beshear revised that.

state-journal.com...

"May 27, 2009

By JOE BIESK
Associated Press Writer

FRANKFORT, Ky. (AP) -- People who don't speak English will still have a chance at getting a Kentucky driver's license, Gov. Steve Beshear said Wednesday, reversing a policy his administration was set to implement next month.

Beshear, a Democrat, said he did not learn until Tuesday night of the Kentucky State Police's cost-saving plan to only offer driver's license tests in English. The change, which was set to take effect next month, was a mistake that would have ended a long-standing practice in Kentucky, Beshear said.

"I believe the state police made a mistake here," Beshear said. "And when I find out about a mistake, I think the way to handle it is to acknowledge that we've made a mistake, correct it and move on. So that's what we're doing."

For years, Kentucky has offered its written driver's license tests in other languages. It's offered in 22 languages besides English, including Arabic, Korean, and Somali, Beshear's spokesman Jay Blanton said in an e-mail.

But with the state facing a possible $1 billion or more budget shortfall in the fiscal year starting July 1, state police officials had decided to end the different language options starting next month.

Kentucky State Police spokesman Sgt. David Jude said the plan to eliminate non-English tests would have saved about $100,000 for salaries, interpretive costs and printing costs. An estimated 10,000 to 12,000 non-English tests were administered in 2008, Jude said in an e-mail."

From a proenglish site:

www.proenglish.org...

"Kentucky Official English legislation

Text (H.B. 12)
AN ACT relating to the official language of the Commonwealth.

Amend KRS 2.013 to provide that unless otherwise authorized or provided by law, all documents produced or utilized by the Commonwealth or its political subdivisions shall be in the English language only.

Status
On June 7, 2006, bill sponsors Stan Lee, Mike Harmon, and Russ Mobley prefiled the bill with the Interim Joint Committee on State Government for introduction in the 2007 legislative session.
It was introduced on January 2, 2007, and sent to the State Government committee on January 5th.

*Languages spoken in Kentucky households (according to the 2000 US Cenus)

Speak only English 3,627,757
Speak a language other than English 148,473
Spanish or Spanish Creole 70,061
German 17,898 0.5
French (incl. Patois, Cajun) 12,499
Chinese 4,608
Japanese 3,777
Korean 3,730 0.1
Other West Germanic languages 3,616
Arabic 3,165
Serbo-Croatian 3,070
Vietnamese 3,018
Russian 2,162
Tagalog 2,070"

Majority rules all huh?

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Redacted/

[edit on 4/29/2010 by reticledc]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   
i dont feel the national language should be any language...

...matter of fact i think everybody would be better off just not speaking

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 08:23 AM
link   
I live in Alabama and the new comers are defiantly getting noticed. There are more foreigners working in all of the factories here. Foreigners are managing most of the hotels and gas stations in my town. The gas station I go to weekly gets a new foreigner in there who cant talk English about once every 2 months. They eventually learn enough to be able to be at the gas station by themselves, until then, they have on of their family member's there to help them learn basic words. Who can tell who is fresh off of the boat or over the boarder.

I see trucks in the mornings loaded up with about 10 workers in the back (at least they car pool). I see small houses with enough cars parked in the front to take up the entire front lawn because 3-4 families live in 1 3 bedroom home.

I know some are here legally and some are not. But to be standing in the grocery store or anywhere else for that matter....and not being able to communicate with another human next to me in line...really sucks. In Alabama....everyone talks to everyone. Everyone says hi as they pass each other....we still hold doors open for people....its still very old timing here...and there is a notable change in the communication amongst the people that now live here. Its like 2 separate worlds, in one place.

It sucks cause there are many born American men and women who ARE willing to do the lawn jobs, factory jobs...and are turned down over the cheaper worker who has not lived here their whole life.

Over the last 2 years, there is a extreme noticeable incoming of people that speak little English and who are getting jobs over the men and women that were born here.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by dbloch7986
I used to feel this way about the US. But frankly, my opinion has changed. We are a multicultural country.

Don't make the common mistake of confusing multi-ethnicity with multi-cultural. They are, in fact, quite different things.

This country was founded on and populated based on multi-ethnicity - people coming from different countries. The difference is in the past they all wanted to assimilate - become Americans.

With multi-culturalism, you have all these people coming in that no longer want to assimilate. They want to form cultural islands where they maintain their old language and customs, not really becoming a part of America at all. Why doesn't anyone ever want to tackle that question?

This is ultimately not a good thing for the country, as we are seeing now.

And for all those that want to give amnesty to the 12 million illegals already here, what do you want to do about the next 12 million + that pour over the borders wanting the same thing and bankrupting the U.S. in the process?

[edit on 4/29/2010 by centurion1211]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

With multi-culturalism, you have all these people coming in that no longer want to assimilate. They want to form cultural islands where they maintain their old language and customs, not really becoming a part of America at all. Why doesn't anyone ever want to tackle that question?

Actually that isn't entirely correct.

When settlers from different nations came to the United States they would more often than not migrate to communities with folks from their own home nation. That's why we have areas of the nation where people are descendants of Swedes, Irish, Germans, Cubans, etc. This is still manifested to this day in Chinatowns in many cities and in places like Astoria NYC where many old folks still only speak Greek.

In most cases it took several generations for the children and grandchildren to fully assimilate into what would identify as "American" culture.

This has always been the process and inherent nature of diaspora ... usually the first generation no matter their provenance has always had the hardest time assimilating, less so for the second, and so on down the line.

Yet somehow we expect today's immigrants to instantly become "Americans" when most of our own forefathers and foremothers went through the same pains.

[edit on 29 Apr 2010 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by dbloch7986
Reply to post by OutKast Searcher

You and someone else have both said "shouldn't of" and "shouldn't he of". Talk about bad grammar? Its "shouldn't HAVE" or "shouldn't he HAVE" People create a contraction in spoken English that looks like this: "shouldn't've". Its short for: "should not have". The second one is: "shouldn't he've". Which is short for: "should not he have". There is a grammar lesson, since you speak English so well compared to the backwards hicks over there in Ala.

I agree...guilty...I think all of America speaks bad English.

I know I do...and I do because I just don't care about the "rules" of grammar. I care about the "rules" of physics, the "rules" of math...but grammar??? Some pompous arse telling everyone that it should be said this way instead of that way....bite me...I just don't care. It's all made up...it's all giberish with no logical backing for the "rules"...just someones opinion from a long time ago.

Language is so imperfect anyway...who gives a damn about proper grammar. This is why I find it hilarious when people are so hung up on speaking a certain language...even though the majority of us completely butcher the language in question.

Speak what you want...I really don't care. If you want to communicate with me...then we will have to find a common language...but if you want to talk with your family in a different language...be my guest.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   
"Alabama may lose federal funding just because the liscense will only be in english. How messed up is that? This is our country, we speak english, learn it or leave"

And iif Federal funding was cut off in Alabama then there would be no fedral taxes collected in that state..I would there the next day!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join