It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

'This is Alabama; we speak English,' governor candidate says

page: 2
21
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Welcome to Future News...tonight's story:

Obama Declares English To Be The Official Language Of The United States

Conservative Republicans are in an uproar after Obama declares everyone living in the US must learn to speak english. Mitch McConnell said today they will "filibuster any attempt to cram legislation down the American people's throat that increases the Nazi like agenda of the over reaching federal government and Obama regime. This clearly is NOT what the American people want."

Tea Party leaders called for a boycott on english muffins in an attempt to call attention to democratic leaders trying pass this bill they deemed unconstitutional.

Eleven Republican governors now are introducing legislation in their states that mandates grade schools to teach foreign languages in kindergarten.

Protesters marched on Washington today with signs in Zulu. We can't report on what they read, nobody from Future News speaks Zulu.




posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   
As a proud Alabamian, I will be voting for Tim James come November. And that ad is what finally made up my mind for me.

You can call me a 'racist' or a 'bigot' all you want; it changes nothing. The reason I agree so vehemently with Mr. James is that it only makes sense. We speak English ("Anglich'
) here.

Nowhere else in the world is it accepted that someone can come into the country without at least asking, in violation of law, and then be given special privileges because of that action. No where else in the world can I walk up to someone on the street and demand that they speak my language in their country. But here? Sure come on in; break our laws, take our jobs, sponge off our social programs, and we will reward you by making your stay here as much like your home as possible.

Sorry. Not in Alabama.

In Alabama, we would rather take those tax dollars and pave roads, maintain parks, educate those children that are actually here legally. We would rather cut taxes so people can work towards their dreams and pay their bills than spend the money on extra paperwork and translators who serve only to tell illegal aliens that they will be treated better than our own citizens as a thank you for breaking our laws.

Fob James (I think it was Tim's father?), during his last term as governor, re-instituted the chain gangs who go around picking up litter on the roadsides. I supported him as well. Because my disdain is actually for those who break the laws of society rather than for those of a particular race or heritage.

This whole push is about making English the official language of Alabama. Since there is no official language of the United States, this is completely within the legal and proper powers of the individual states. And I will agree with this, since some states are truly bi-lingual (New Mexico comes to mind). Just as I do not want them telling us we should make every word available in Spanish, neither do I desire to tell New Mexico what language they should choose. That is up to them, and should be based on their citizenry and heritage.

If you want to live here, learn the language.

If that's racist, just call me Archie Bunker.

The(ProudAlabama)Redneck



posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Let's make this Federal. English is the official language of the United States. If you don't know English, you cannot receive benefits or hold a job here. Furthermore, you can't call yourself an American unless you are fluent in written and spoken English. This will solve some problems. The illegals will run home to the comfort of Mexico where they can speak Spanish to their heart's content. Illegals will stop getting benefits, which is pushing states to the brink of bankruptcy. True Americans will get the jobs, thereby lowering the unemployment rate. Prison populations in many states will dwindle as the majority of prisoners in many states are illegal aliens. Time to send the illegals home. Time to take this country back. They're trying to turn this into Mexico. If it's so great there, they can just stay there.



posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I was driving through a parking lot and a huge new SUV was backing out, and of course hit me, even though I honked.

When the two people got out of the car, neither one could speak English, and was babbling back and forth to each other in Spanish. (Times like this makes me wish I had taken Spanish in high school instead of French.)

I didn't really know what to do, so I decided just to leave and take a loss. But as I was leaving I was thinking, "How did they get a loan for a new SUV and I can't get a loan for nothing?"

My husband's from Russia. When he took the written test, he insisted on taking it in English. But the English written test was worded tricky and he failed. The 2nd time he took it he passed.



posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I remember some time ago I was watching a stand up comedy show on comedy central. One of the comedians was latino and made a joke about immmigrants from Mexico coming into the US. It went something like this, Son -"Mommy, what's Mexico like?" Mom- "Oh son, its a beautiful country, the best in the world!" Son- "Then why do we have to deal with all this BS stuff in the US?" Mom- "Oh, Mexico is just having a few troubles at the moment." Son - "I dont understand." Mom- "I dont understand pretty much anything."

Thats not the exact way the joke went, but something like that. I just dont remember the exact words.

Thats another thing that really gets me mad. Illegals will protest and wave the Mexican flag, saying they love their country and its beautiful and all that talk, but when we enforce OUR laws and send them back, they get all pissed off at us. If you love your country so much, why dont you move back?

[edit on 28-4-2010 by buni11687]



posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   
LOL this thread is funny... matter of fact, all these laws are funny period. What now? we have to speak english just cause you average white americans people could only speak it (excluding those that learn other languages) and think since everything is in english that people have to learn it and if you dont, you somehow an outcast..

Did we forget that this isnt our land? Did we forget there were natives here before the europeans came on it who had their own language? Did we forget the ones who "discovered" this "new land" was spanish speaking? Have we forgotten Texas and those south states were once owned and ruled by MEXICANS, They should take those back and kick all the americans from it, its still officially their land no matter if the Americans fought and took it.
Have we forgot our one "state" "Puerto Rico" is a spanish speaking country but yet there's a lot of english places with english wording, Maybe they should change everything back to spanish and make those people who only speak english, learn spanish or get out of there (and other countries)

So if this is a problem for anyone who disagree and wanna go on with this BS about it only should be english...then there shouldnt be resorts in other counties with english signs and such and for those who only speak english shouldnt be in other counties living (such as iraq,etc,etc) even tho some places you could find places/communities that the main language might be english aside of the native language and other places just the native language. So does that mean they have to cut out english from everything in those countries?

This BS been going on for the longest, with the asians,hatians, or any other culture that came into this country and dont know anything of english. When will it end? these past few years, the problems were with Arabics and Muslims now its going back to Spanish people, Who will be next? the french?german?indian?africans? As it has been said English is not an official language of this land, This land was taken for the purpose for ALL cultures,languages,religion, to live on and learn from each other and help each other become as a whole no matter what background one is from.

Not making this into a racist thing, I hate going that route. I'm hispanic and i do only know english even through i can understand spanish , I cant read it,write it or speak spanish properly and my parents dont know much english. It just ignorant whats going on



posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I don't know how these illegal aliens do it, but they are driving around in expensive cars like Escalades. What I think they do is give fraudulent information to lenders, along with stolen social security numbers, and then before the first bill becomes due they take the car back to Mexico. Free cars for the illegals. I guess this is why lenders specifically say that you are not allowed to take a car to Mexico, but how could they possibly stop these people from doing so? No way these Mexicans are paying for these cars.



posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I am a alabamaian, don't know who im voting for yet but, I do respect tim James for saying this and if he actually does it (if he is voted in). but this one statemenet isnt enough for me to vote for him.
Now on subject, do it, but don't stop at the drivers license test, keep going with it. Make it where immigration tests you have to know english.
Yea it's true America doesn't have a Launguage but if the majority speak english so be it. english it is.
And yea most road signs are symbols and one words but there are those signs that say things 1 word won't cover.



posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Makes sense to me.

If you can't read the road signs - which are in English - should you be given a drivers license.

I think not.



posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by MilzGatez

It's kind of hard to forget the Indian tribes, since I myself have a great deal of Cherokee and Creek heritage.

Alabama was never 'owned' by the Mexican government. It was settled as a part of Georgia (originally an English penal colony). We were kicked out of a state of people who were kicked out of their country.


The Mexicans, if you want to discount conquest, never owned anything on the North American continent. That would be the Aztecs and Mayans. Perhaps you would like to give Mexico back to them first?

TheRedneck


[edit on 4/28/2010 by TheRedneck]



posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nemesis0123
I don't know how these illegal aliens do it, but they are driving around in expensive cars like Escalades. What I think they do is give fraudulent information to lenders, along with stolen social security numbers, and then before the first bill becomes due they take the car back to Mexico. Free cars for the illegals. I guess this is why lenders specifically say that you are not allowed to take a car to Mexico, but how could they possibly stop these people from doing so? No way these Mexicans are paying for these cars.


And how do you know that? How do you know that they not here legally with all their papers but never learned english?

How would you know they legally here and working hard to get those expensive cars and get things that they worked for.

This is what this whole bill going to do, People are going to assume that a person is illegal just cause he is hispanic or might just look hispanic when they're not...this just going to get nastier

[edit on 28-4-2010 by MilzGatez]



posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by MilzGatez
LOL this thread is funny... matter of fact, all these laws are funny period. What now? we have to speak english just cause you average white americans people could only speak it (excluding those that learn other languages) and think since everything is in english that people have to learn it and if you dont, you somehow an outcast..

Did we forget that this isnt our land? Did we forget there were natives here before the europeans came on it who had their own language? Did we forget the ones who "discovered" this "new land" was spanish speaking? Have we forgotten Texas and those south states were once owned and ruled by MEXICANS, They should take those back and kick all the americans from it, its still officially their land no matter if the Americans fought and took it.
Have we forgot our one "state" "Puerto Rico" is a spanish speaking country but yet there's a lot of english places with english wording, Maybe they should change everything back to spanish and make those people who only speak english, learn spanish or get out of there (and other countries)

So if this is a problem for anyone who disagree and wanna go on with this BS about it only should be english...then there shouldnt be resorts in other counties with english signs and such and for those who only speak english shouldnt be in other counties living (such as iraq,etc,etc) even tho some places you could find places/communities that the main language might be english aside of the native language and other places just the native language. So does that mean they have to cut out english from everything in those countries?

This BS been going on for the longest, with the asians,hatians, or any other culture that came into this country and dont know anything of english. When will it end? these past few years, the problems were with Arabics and Muslims now its going back to Spanish people, Who will be next? the french?german?indian?africans? As it has been said English is not an official language of this land, This land was taken for the purpose for ALL cultures,languages,religion, to live on and learn from each other and help each other become as a whole no matter what background one is from.

Not making this into a racist thing, I hate going that route. I'm hispanic and i do only know english even through i can understand spanish , I cant read it,write it or speak spanish properly and my parents dont know much english. It just ignorant whats going on



You are an American citizen. You speak English. You are not the problem. I don't know why you lump yourself in with illegal aliens who refuse to learn English. They are the problem, not you. As for this being Mexican land, you are free to your opinion. I'm part Indian. We've been here for quite a while.



posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raverous
Sounds reasonable to me. Nobody goes to Mexico and demands they speak English. Nobody goes to Germany and demands they speak English. Nobody goes to France and demands they speak English. Why should we have to speak a foreigners language in our own country? No other country does, nor should they be expected to, and neither should we.



[edit on 28-4-2010 by Raverous]


haha I take it you don't travel much. I can tell you that everytime I go somewhere there are always Americans who expect the locals to speak English. One of the reasons we're hated all over. It's pathetic. Anyway, I'm for this. I don't usually stand with these bigots but this is one thing I do stand with them on. It absolutely irritates me when people are in our country and don't even bother to learn the language. I don't care if you can't speak it very well, just please understand it. There's no excuse and it's usually hispanics who do this. I'm Hispanic and speak 3 languages so if I can do it, surely they can too.



posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by MilzGatez

Originally posted by Nemesis0123
I don't know how these illegal aliens do it, but they are driving around in expensive cars like Escalades. What I think they do is give fraudulent information to lenders, along with stolen social security numbers, and then before the first bill becomes due they take the car back to Mexico. Free cars for the illegals. I guess this is why lenders specifically say that you are not allowed to take a car to Mexico, but how could they possibly stop these people from doing so? No way these Mexicans are paying for these cars.


And how do you know that? How do you know that they not here legally with all their papers but never learned english?

How would you know they legally here and working hard to get those expensive cars and get things that they worked for.

This is what this whole bill going to do, People are going to assume that a person is illegal just cause he is hispanic or might just look hispanic when they're not...this just going to get nastier

[edit on 28-4-2010 by MilzGatez]


I live on a farm and talk to the owner every single day. I live amongst the illegals. I know they don't speak English. They live right on this property with me. That should make me an expert. People living in camps paying 15 dollars a week rent are not making the kind of money to buy expensive cars. They can't even afford a decent studio apartment. The only way their getting car loans is through fraud. That's the bottom line. The ones with their papers who do everything legit are driving modest trucks. They make a lot of money and can actually afford nice cars, but instead they send the money back to Mexico to support their families. We're not bigots just because we want everyone to be able to communicate with one another.

[edit on 28-4-2010 by Nemesis0123]

[edit on 28-4-2010 by Nemesis0123]



posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by MilzGatez
 


Soy Latina en mi case se habla ingles, because we are in the US.

Yes, in my home we speak English even when I am a Latina,

English is our first language in the US no Spanish.

Even in my Island of PR English has been taken out of the curriculum in the last two decades or so, English used to be our second language as a territory of the US.

So I am still wondering why in America everybody makes a fuss about English been the main language, This country was founded under English as the main language and that is enough for me.


[edit on 28-4-2010 by marg6043]



posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
reply to post by MilzGatez

It's kind of hard to forget the Indian tribes, since I myself have a great deal of Cherokee and Creek heritage.

Alabama was never 'owned' by the Mexican government. It was settled as a part of Georgia (originally an English penal colony). We were kicked out of a state of people who were kicked out of their country.


The Mexicans, if you want to discount conquest, never owned anything on the North American continent. That would be the Aztecs and Mayans. Perhaps you would like to give Mexico back to them first?

TheRedneck


[edit on 4/28/2010 by TheRedneck]


Well I wasnt talking about Alabama, just were mentioning the other states that were. Also, have you noticed those illegals are all around the boarder mostly, there's more down there then lets say here in New York.

The Aztecs and Mayan but those mexicans have those same culture in their bloods like most of spanish people have native indians and other mixed. And to say they never own anything on the North American Continent then what was the "Texas declared independence from Mexico on March 2, 1836"

en.wikipedia.org...

and i'm sure you can find out more from other sources, grab that one quick



posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nemesis0123




You are an American citizen. You speak English. You are not the problem. I don't know why you lump yourself in with illegal aliens who refuse to learn English. They are the problem, not you. As for this being Mexican land, you are free to your opinion. I'm part Indian. We've been here for quite a while.

Of course I'm American but that doesnt mean I have to forget my real culture and that being said, Those same illegals are hispanic just like me and as for that my reason to get like this on this issue because I believe in being fair to everyone no matter where they from or who they are and I dont think these bills will fix the problems, there's other ways to handle this situations to make those illegals who comes here only to mess things up. There's should be other ways to get the illegal troublermakers out but also keep those illegal that actually come here to work hard and follow " the american dream". I just dont want this whole thing to be misused against all along with the decent working illegals.

And I didnt mean it as its mexician land which is not but they were once there just like the natives

[edit on 28-4-2010 by MilzGatez]



posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by MilzGatez

Wrong. Alabama has no border with Mexico; yet, we have a large population of non-English-speaking, illegal immigrants. Most of them work construction jobs here, which used to be filled by *gasp* Americans!


In the meantime, I am unemployed. I have lived here and paid taxes here all my life. I was born here, and I have quite a bit of construction experience.

But I have to be paid minimum wage because of US law. They don't. They are already criminals. What's one more law?

As for the Mexicans... check out Spanish colonization of the Americas. If you want top claim that the Texans should give Texas back because they took it in conquest, then it is hypocritical to not demand the Mexicans give Mexico back.

They took it in conquest.

TheRedneck



posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by buni11687
 


I'd give this another S&F if I could.

I hope this does spread across the country, I'll be sending an e-mail to my Governor.



posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
reply to post by MilzGatez

Wrong. Alabama has no border with Mexico; yet, we have a large population of non-English-speaking, illegal immigrants. Most of them work construction jobs here, which used to be filled by *gasp* Americans!


In the meantime, I am unemployed. I have lived here and paid taxes here all my life. I was born here, and I have quite a bit of construction experience.

But I have to be paid minimum wage because of US law. They don't. They are already criminals. What's one more law?

As for the Mexicans... check out Spanish colonization of the Americas. If you want top claim that the Texans should give Texas back because they took it in conquest, then it is hypocritical to not demand the Mexicans give Mexico back.

They took it in conquest.

TheRedneck


LOL I know it doesnt, I'm not talking about just Alabama, lets forget Alabama. Just talking about this whole issue as one

And You're right my mistake about that one, but the truth is about every land was taken in conquest from one to another. My memory didnt let me go back farther than the last conquest. My brain isnt in history thinking mood at the moment

[edit on 28-4-2010 by MilzGatez]



new topics

top topics



 
21
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

log in

join