It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Announces Wednesday Media Teleconference About Search For Extraterrestrial Life

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+61 more 
posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   

NASA Announces Wednesday Media Teleconference About Search For Extraterrestrial Life

www.nasa.gov

WASHINGTON -- NASA will hold a news media teleconference at 1:30 p.m. EDT, Wednesday, April 28, to discuss the status of agency-sponsored astrobiology research, including the search for evidence of extraterrestrial life and the study of how life began on Earth. Topics also will include the quest for evidence of life on Mars, the habitability of other celestial bodies, and future technology research.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   
As you can read on my profile page, I'm not really on ATS for the Alien and UFO threads, but that isn't to say that when I run across something like this I won't post it for the many that do come here for that.

This seems like a pretty cool things, and I will certainly be watching this with some interest and an open mind. As I am not really in the know about much of this, I will just leave my comments at that.

www.nasa.gov
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Sorry if this has already been posted. I did a search, and do apologize if this is a repeat of an already ongoing discussion.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by broahes

Pretty cool news and maybe its linked to the Hawkin V Greer threads doing the rounds at this time.
Ill keep my eyes peel'ed for more related info. Star

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Looking forward to hearing about the outcome of this meeting.

+9 more 
posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Pretty cool, thanks for notifying us.

Here's what I bet they'll say...

"There is no life outside of our own planet. Go back to sleep America...go back to sleep."

link   
reply to post by The_Zomar

there is a stream to listen to it live tomorrow:

Link

link   
Thanks for bringing this to our attention, itll be interesting to see what NASA are going to have to say. I doubt they'll be revealing anything too far 'out there'....but...you just never know!

Flagged for sure.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
The pressure is mounting for NASA to come clean. There is just too much questions on being asked about unidentified crafts over our skies. They know they can no longer hide.

May the journalists attending the conference hit hard at NASA for answers. 'Aliens' are no longer a taboo subject. Disclosure of UFOs had already happened. The pressure must be kept so that mankind may finally get Disclosure of Intentions. They have a right to know and prepare.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Cool! Thanks for the heads up.

The timing is certainly very interesting. This fits right in with what Richard Hoagland has been talking about with Mars' moon Phobos recently.

Here's a radio show with him on that subject: www.theunexplained.tv...

Buzz Aldrin has also been going on about Phobos for a while now.

And he rode with Obama on Air Force One on the way to the space summit recently.

The timing of the Stephen Hawkings programmes are also interesting. & there are many more things going on.

I've always been skeptical about official disclusure happening but it really looks like things are heating up.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Again they will not say much. A bit of hype but they won't disclose anything about ET, this will probaly be like the Mars rock about a decade ago, a lot of hype but no smoking barrel. If anything it is a PR ploy in hopes of getting more public support for NASA funding.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Cheers for the heads up! *fingers crossed for some cool news*

(willing to bet it'll be more of a "we're still looking" comment rather than a "look what we found" comment, I've been let down too many times to build my hopes up)

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Maybe they really want to meet to talk about this:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Who knows.. the NASA is government.. and I don't trust the government for anything.

I doubt they would broadcast it streaming over the net if they were really going to do anything but talk in generalities/

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Thanks for posting OP.

When I first started reading the link, I didn't realize that that is the conference that my independent study advisor was going to this week. He is from the philosophy department here in Bozeman so he isn't listed on the link, but I will let you guys know if I hear anything interesting from him when he gets back.

I assume he went with John Peters, as he has been telling me about the astrobiology meetings he has been attending lately, and if anyone is interested further in the paper he is presenting just U2U me. I might have to check with him, but I'm sure I can at least say what the jist of the paper is about. It is a philosophy paper about astrobiology, so it is not an incredibly technical paper.

I do like the focus they have been putting on Mars lately:

Topics also will include the quest for evidence of life on Mars, the habitability of other celestial bodies, and future technology research.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Excellent find! I will be watching this while eating my grain of salt and try to read between the lines. I know that full disclosure could never happen all at once due to the frail nature of the human psyche but there do seem to be many baby steps happening over the last few years.

I do believe there is life out there but I would be an egotist to think I know for sure that there is intelligent life out there in the big black void. Statistically speaking, life should be abundant in many forms in many star systems through out many galaxies. It would be such a waste of space of there wasn't imho.

S and F for you Op

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by broahes

S&F for the heads up.

I'm just gonna get ready for a very unremarkable find or something to that effect, they gotta keep the funds rolling in so they drop a crumb now & then.

I hope I'm wrong though.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   
well its good to see some folks interested in real science but if your expecting anything "ufos" or alien visitation you will be sorely disapointed.

i expect the subjects of finding microbes in our solar system and detecting earth-like planets to be a major part. Be nice to hear the status of sim lite and new worlds observer too. Should be fun

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeti101
well its good to see some folks interested in real science but if your expecting anything "ufos" or alien visitation you will be sorely disapointed.

i expect the subjects of finding microbes in our solar system and detecting earth-like planets to be a major part. Be nice to hear the status of sim lite and new worlds observer too. Should be fun

I certainly agree. The announcement mentions several things that interested me a lot more than ETs.

Maybe I should have worded the headlines to be inclusive to those like you and I that would be interested, but maybe overlooked the thread because of the title.

I actually got the link to the announcement from a Geologist that I follow on twitter. Go figure..

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Hawking has started a firestorm and that's a good thing.

Hawking said it's "rational" to discuss Aliens because it's "almost certain" that they exist.

This is truly a bombshell and I'm sure they will be asked about this during the press conference.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Matrix Rising

nasa has been obsessed with finding life for decades. The mars probes in the 1970s went there looking for life.

They are not however in the game of trying to detect intelligent life directly they cut seti funding around 15 years ago. Some might argue they spend billiions looking for microbes why not a small amount trying to find intelligent life? they may have a point.

nasa are interested in furthering our understanding of the cosomos anything to do with intelligent life will be indirect or found by accident. For example analysing atmospheres of distant planets, they might find chemicals like CFCs that might point to aliens who use fridges

expect zero announcements on any searches for intelligent life more on how we can detect habitable planets around other stars & simple life in our solar system. Especially the search for habitable planets is a big way of defining our place in the universe or in simple terms , are we alone?

[edit on 27-4-2010 by yeti101]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join