It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lesbian Teen: School Sent me to Fake Prom

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Lesbian Teen: School Sent me to Fake Prom

www.cbsnews.com

(CBS) A lesbian student in Mississippi who sued her school for the right to bring her girlfriend to the prom said she was sent to a fake prom instead.

Constance McMillen, 18, told The Advocate that last month's invitation to an alternate prom was a sham, saying that most students attended another dance organized by parents at a secret location.

"They had two proms and I was only invited to one of them," McMillen told the magazine. "The one that I went to had seven people there, and everyone went to the other one I wasn’t invited to."

"It hurts my feelings," she said.

Ita
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.theatlanticwire.com
www.thedailybeast.com

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Ok, so they sent them to a fake prom.

Yeah that's real classy. I personally think the fact that this whole issue was an issue in the first place is complete crap. Now, they went and sent this poor girl to a fake prom.

I think they are going a bit far with this. I mean what is the big deal? She has the right to choose her lifestyle and besides I thought this sort of thing has become accepted for the most part.

Although they don't agree with the lifestyle it doesn't mean that they should go to such measures just out of disapproval. She has the right to be a lesbian, plain and simple.

Instead of canceling the prom like they said they where going to do. They do this instead. Neither of which is agreeable.

What say you ATS!

www.cbsnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 22-4-2010 by DaMod]

[edit on 22-4-2010 by DaMod]

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Who were the other losers that had to go to her prom? Were they all gay as well?

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I would just move away if i was her, they probably will start a vendetta against you for not being normal like them, lol.

I had to put up with this and people can ruin your life.

Just be careful someone at your school does not geta government job, and you will be on a watchlist for life, for perves.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

This really was a sad story from the beginning to what appears to be the end.

America, "The Free World".. "the shinning city on a hill".. yeah right.

This should never have even been an issue.

Cool, the parents wanted to organize a private thing.. cool.. I have no problem with that. They want to invite who they want and not everyone. That's cool too, I have no problem with that. But don't be a complete ass and invite the poor girl to an alternative prom where it wasn't even a prom.

Ignorance is rampant in this country.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   
While I do think it is crap...it doesn't appear the school sent her to a fake prom. From what I understand...the school canceled their prom. I guess this was an alternative prom set up by someone(article doesn't say)...everyone else went to another alternative "prom" organized by parents of other students.

It is crap...but the blame can't be put on the school for her not being invited to the popular prom...blame the moronic students and parents.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by broahes

I keep saying uk and usa are not places to be for gays, if you upset wrong people.

I had problems at school on these issues, and bast1rds destroyed my life forever, getting me on police watchlists, while i have never commited a crime or have been violent, the people i went to school with could commit any crime.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by GreenBicMan
Who were the other losers that had to go to her prom? Were they all gay as well?

Seven kids, means one of em didn't have a date. I"m gonna go with most of em' didn't. It's those kids who would not have gone to the prom with the other kids anyway.

How sad, these people are really vindictive and just plain rude. You should not treat people this way. Period.

More fuel for people to say that the South isn't as progressive as people would like to make you believe.

~Keeper

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
More fuel for people to say that the South isn't as progressive as people would like to make you believe.

~Keeper

Its all over the place, not just your south in america.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Thats exactly what she deserved. Obviously her fellow classmates are pissed off, because of what SHE did. Her best bet probably would be to move away and forget that little town in Mississippi because they will never forget what she did. You reep what you sew.

MessOnTheFED!

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by GreenBicMan

I'm assuming the other students were the "geeks" and "losers" that the others didn't like.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
She is a moron and an attention whore if she wants to blame the school for this. The school canceled its prom, right or wrong the school shut their prom down.

She needs to look at the other students and parents who obviously are upset with her over the spectacle that was made. Again right or wrong the school is innocent on the charges being presented this time.

Raist

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by MessOnTheFED!
Thats exactly what she deserved. Obviously her fellow classmates are pissed off, because of what SHE did. Her best bet probably would be to move away and forget that little town in Mississippi because they will never forget what she did. You reep what you sew.

MessOnTheFED!

She got what she deserved? Really?

What she deserved was an equal opportunity to carry the person she loves to the prom, same as everyone else. THAT is what she deserved.

It's worth noting again.. ignorance is rampant in the land of the free.

I was born and raised a Christian. I am proud of my faith in a Christ that told me to love my neighbor as my self, not just the straight ones. While I don't believe that homosexual acts are "pleasant in the eyes of the Lord", I also know that I am no person's judge.. I also know that there are acts that I commit that are displeasing in the eyes of my God.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Raist

I see nowhere in this article where she blamed the school for this..

although the argument could be made that if the school wouldn't have made such an issue out of it in the first place.. it wouldn't have ended in this manner.

Did I miss something in the article where she blamed the school?

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by MessOnTheFED!

MessOnTheFED!

I fail to see exactly what she did to warrant the vendetta from those people? Because she took the school to court because they were unfairly discriminating against her? Because she dared to be herself and not conform to some bull# norm dictated to her because of ancient superstitions? If standing up for yourself is a bad thing then this world really is screwed.

No way. We need more people who are willing to make a stand against the unjust. She must have known she would get a bad reaction, and didnt let the fear of it stop her. Well done to her.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

Are these the same people who microwaved you're brain?

Or is this a different bunch?

Genuine question.

It's so pathetic that the school had to make an issue about it.

Many Americans say that countries in the Middle East are backward etc. Well.....from where I'm standing it looks the other way around to me.

Oh wait a minute....I have a feeling I'm going to get replies, along the lines of "well they execute gays in such and such a country."

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Having the prom cancelled so she can make a political statement?
As much as i feel for her trials and tribulations,she should have just shut her mouth and showed up and made them deal with it instead of announcing it and getting the prom cancelled.

If I was one of her classmates I would be pissed off too at making everyone suffer for her actions.
She should have just shut up and showed up and not make a big deal of it like she did.

I do think her classmates were unusally harsh and mean tho but I can see where the anger stemmed from.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Just as a matter of information, you'll find some 44 pages of very lively discussion on this topic at:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun
Having the prom cancelled so she can make a political statement?
As much as i feel for her trials and tribulations,she should have just shut her mouth and showed up and made them deal with it instead of announcing it and getting the prom cancelled.

If I was one of her classmates I would be pissed off too at making everyone suffer for her actions.
She should have just shut up and showed up and not make a big deal of it like she did.

I do think her classmates were unusally harsh and mean tho but I can see where the anger stemmed from.

Well I guess you are kinda right, but really discrimination is discrimination. Equal rights for all, isn't that what this country is supposed to be about?

She could have shut her mouth and showed up with the risk that she would have been asked to leave. Then we have the same issue coming to light again. Either way we would have had the same issues come up.

Do you really want to go back to the insanity that was the civil rights movement? I disagree with the gay lifestyle, but it doesn't give anyone the right to discriminate against it, right or wrong. Being a lesbian is perfectly legal as far as I know, therefore there shouldn't have been an issue in the first place.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by broahes

Read my post again. I said if she wants to blame the school. I did not see it in the article but I do see a header that makes the claim. You can read that right?

That claim came from some place.

Raist

top topics

<<   2 >>

join