It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. plans drive to limit salt in foods

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

At least your hubby has a good lady lookin' out for him. I wish him well with his health problems.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy

Originally posted by airvicemarshal
Say, why don't they wrap the entire population in foam rubber and lock them in the basement to make sure that no harm comes to them at the same time?
Number one cause of death and injuries in the home are from falls.

Mostly head injuries, so maybe the gubmint could just make us wear helmets while we are at home.

Those are accidents, people too lazy or not educated enough to simply understand what it is they are shoving into their gobs is another story. I doubt people eating processed foods everyday of the week is a simple accident....

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

No you are right, it is a choice that they themselves make when they EAT! Achoice that I would like to retain as a freedom.

Simply making a point of the FOLLIES of a nanny state.

Personal responsibilities being pushed off on the government because laziness and fear.

[edit on 20-4-2010 by butcherguy]

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Anybody taken a moment to realize where this will end, because I can show you exactly what letting these kinds of things come to pass will lead to...

First NY banned trans fats, next the salt thing and fast forward a decade and you won't be able to get that awesome hot sauce you like, a cold beer after working in the yard or chocolate frosting for your child's birthday cake. The more you let them regulate your life the more they will gladly do it. Some folks right now in this thread are applauding it, but will you still support this nonsense when they finally decided to outlaw something that YOU like?

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy

No you are right, it is a choice that they themselves make when they EAT! Achoice that I would like to retain as a freedom.

Simply making a point of the FOLLIES of a nanny state.

Personal responsibilities being pushed off on the government because laziness and fear.

Tell that to children who have to eat fast food from McDonalds 4 out of 7 days, and the other 3 eating microwaved processed food. Is there much of a choice in that? And no im not grabbing that from my arse, i actually know quite a few families like this...Like i said two posts ago, if you are so hell bent on killing yourself and your children simply layer on the salt and be merry while sticking your fingers up at the government. I think the whole "let's be angry at the government for everything and anything" is clouding your and others minds to the point where you can't look at this in the perspective of what is happening all around you day in day out.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Oh for Christs sake! If these kids are eating McDonalds 4 days a week and processed foods the other 3, then their parents are idiots. We shouldnt have to regulate everything in the country to protect the children of the stupid.

What is next, remove all steps from the house and just put in ramps, because Bubba and his stripper wife let their kids wrestle at the top of the stairs and now one of them died?

How about we just let natural consequences doll out the punishment. It is way cheaper that way.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
People of the world, not just the US, need to learn SELF CONTROL when it comes to what they put in their body.

I agree with you, but the consumer cannot remove salt from processed foods. They can always add it. I hate that some of the foods are so high in sodium, because I do watch my sodium intake.

I think it's a great idea to limit a potentially dangerous substance in foods that we can add or not, as we choose. It's really about giving the consumer more choices. It's not like salt is hard to get.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

The stupid consumers want processed foods.

Look at the typical corporate grocery store. How many aisles of the store are devoted to organic/health foods? 5% maybe? Take out the processed foods and you will have a very empty store.

Is the answer to let the government take care of our eating habits by legislating our diet?

As I said before, that would be the same folks that think that tobacco and alcohol are products that are okay for us to consume.

Do you trust them with more?

If the goal is our health, why let us have the ability to buy salt and pour it on as thick as we like?

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   
If this is really about the government caring about our health,
what redeeming quality does tobacco have, that the government allows it's sale?

How many people are killed on the highways each year by drunk drivers?

The wonderful government allows that alcohol to be sold.

Does anyone really believe that someone in Washington cares?

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

They can have processed foods. There will just be less than 3 times the daily requirement of sodium in one small item.

I don't want the government regulating what I can eat, but I can add salt at home! I cannot take it out!

We're not talking about turning everything into organic food, doing away with processed foods or letting the government legislate our diet, here. You're going WAY overboard, naturally.

I like these particular Progresso soups. But they have like 700 mg of sodium per serving! I don't want that much! If other people do, they have the choice to ADD it.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

What you are asking for is the government to limit the choices of the majority.

You really think I am going overboard? These things that you want controlled are not POISONOUS, some studies show that they are not good to consume in excess by some people.

I wish you would think about my post directly above your last one.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Some child at my daughter's school has a peanut allergy, so she can't bring peanut products to school.

How can they sell that stuff in stores?

That my friends is going overboard, just like people that want to restrict the salt in everyone's diet because they can't handle it!

I would much rather see the government force manufacturers to provide lower salt products(most already do) along with regular (apparently poisonous) products, than to restrict everyone else to buying what some people can stand.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
We're not talking about turning everything into organic food, doing away with processed foods or letting the government legislate our diet, here.

You might not be, but others are and it's a frightening thought really. A lot of companies are starting to put out low sodium versions of their products now anyway, so it's not like we don't have a choice in the matter. If companies are already doing it voluntarily, why do we need more governmental regulations about it?

Edit: Holy spelling mistakes, Batman!

[edit on 20-4-2010 by Jenna]

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
This is a good thing in my book. I consider myself a bit of a "libertarian" and yet would have absolutely no problem if food companies were forced to reduce the amount of salt in their foods. Sometimes it's more important to have common sense values as opposed to knee-jerk libertarian values. Some people (especially on a site such as this, of course) seem to think any little bit of government oversight will result in an Orwellian nightmare. It won't. There's a lot of scary stuff happening in the US right now that could make for a bad future - reducing the nations salt in-take isn't one of them. It's a good thing. Food not salty enough for you? Add your own salt!

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Curio

Dried beef, country-style ham, sauerkraut and many more are processed food items that are what they are because they are preserved with salt, I guess we will have to kiss them goodbye!

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Helig

You had me at hot sauce. What a tragedy. I love spicy food!!! I can't get enough of the stuff. On a side note eating spicy food (spiced by peppers makes your arteries pliable and prevents the development of many circulatory conditions. Trade ulcers for a good pumper!!)

You are of course correct. That is exactly where this line of policy will lead. I'm sorry but what's the point of going through life if you can't enjoy the small stuff? Like HOTWINGS!

Sure I would be healthier without them, but I would also reach a new level of melancholy...

[edit on 20-4-2010 by DaMod]

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   
This has gone on far enough. Contrary to what the reports state, part of what makes us alive is the salt in our bodies. Our blood has salt in it, we need salt to maintain a healthy blood pressure, it is required for us to survive as it allows for the electrochemical reactions to happen to allow us to live. The US government is going way too far with the mandate to protect the public health, and in their attempt to be more of a nanny state will only serve to where it controls more over our lives. What they fail to realize is that you have to allow people to have personal choice, if you take that away, then you start to take away the free will of the people.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by sdcigarpig

Don't forget that table salt is the main supply of iodine in our diets. A deficency can cause goiter and any other number of problems. Veggies like cauliflower and such actually destroy iodine in the body.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
At first I was like, "Good move" then I realized that knowing the U.S.D.A, they'll replace it with something even MORE harmful.

But let's hope for the best.

Peace,
FK

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Good! I hope Campbell's Soup is forced to stop advertising their soups as good, nurturing food. It is so full of sodium it borders on Toxic. Even the "low sodium" brands contain too much.

Things like ketchup, mustard, luncheon meat, and canned goods. They already contain so much salt it senseless to ever touch the salt shaker.

Salt is not something that you miss, once you eliminate it. Well, maybe for a week or two. But after that, you really don't want it any more. It's tastes so harsh. Now, if something is overly salted, all I can taste is salt. Yuck.

Start noticing the amounts contained in foods you purchase. It's a primary contender in the enemies of hypertension, and of course fluid retention. It also is very hard on the kidneys.

It's really not "a good thing", and easy to do without once you get used to it. Now if we can just get rid of MSG.

For those who think they can't live without the exorbitant amounts of sodium.......add it. But it's sure not a health food. It was so widely used as a preservative, that people got used to it, so then they started using it in such high quantities as a flavor enhancer.

Now, we have other toxins/chemicals to preserve our food.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join