It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. plans drive to limit salt in foods

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   
This is a great idea.
In fact they could ban salt being added to processed foods.
People are free to add as much as they want.

I bought a can of corned beef hash one time that was sooo salty that I could not eat it.
Also alarming is the amount of salt in baby food.
I bought a small jar of egg yolks one time and it was soooo salty I could not eat it.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   
FDA now reporting 150,000 lives per year could be saved, by just cutting the amount of sodium in processed foods.

How do they ascertain those figures? I have no idea.

Anyway....Bye guys! Good thread.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

Wouldn't it make more sense for those 150k to just lower their own salt intake, if they know they're at risk of course, than regulate every food sold in this country to save that 150k? Sure does to me from a personal responsibility standpoint.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Salt is not something that you miss, once you eliminate it. Well, maybe for a week or two. But after that, you really don't want it any more. It's tastes so harsh. Now, if something is overly salted, all I can taste is salt. Yuck.

Ah, did anyone read my edit to the post on page three?? I'm guessing not.
Some salt is healthy! Dr. M.C Douglass is an industry whistleblower. It is healthy to give heed to his words
It actually weirds me out that no one looked into it.

Are you getting enough salt in your diet?

I just read a report online that flies in the face of what conventional medicine has been pushing on the public for years. New research suggests not eating enough salt could be WORSE for your heart than consuming too much of it.

Yawn. Excuse my lack of enthusiasm. After all, this is old news to me – and it should be to you as well. I’ve been telling you for years that salt is good for you.

The new study was published in the online Journal of General Internal Medicine, and while it doesn’t actually come out and say that a low-salt diet is actually BAD for the heart, it does cite some intriguing stats showing that people who eat the least salt suffer from the highest rates of death as a result of heart disease. The one quarter of patients in the study who ate the least salt were – ready for this? – 80 PERCENT more likely to die from cardiac issues than the 25 percent in the study who consumed the MOST salt.

This should really be no surprise in the medical community. In spite of what you hear on TV and read in magazines, there’s no agreement in the medical community that salt is the key factor in the development of such dangerous maladies as high blood pressure and hypertension.

Dr. Hillel W. Cohen, the author of the study, finally acknowledged the questionable link between salt intake and high blood pressure. “The main argument for reducing salt in the prevention of heart disease has been that there’s a relationship between higher sodium and high blood pressure,” he said. “But when one actually looks at the numbers, the average blood pressure difference associated with quite a bit of sodium intake is very modest.”

The fact is, without salt, you’d die. It’s an essential nutrient that your body can’t manufacture on its own. It plays a critical role in regulating vital bodily function, and it’s a key element in the fluids that transport life-giving oxygen throughout the body. Salt maintains the body’s fluid balance. What’s more, the body automatically disposes of excess salt in your system. So the oft-heard claim that you can have “too much” salt in your diet? Well that’s just not physically possible.

Like all doctors making unpopular claims that fly in the face of “conventional” medical thought, Cohen hedged his bets. (So unlike me, right?) He said, “No one should run out and buy a salt shaker to improve their cardiovascular health, but we think it’s reasonable to say that different people have different needs.”

Maybe so. But the fact remains that salt is an essential need for all people. I’m happy that Cohen’s study has helped to clarify the country’s misconceptions about it.

douglassreport.com...

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   
I can't believe so many people are so opposed to this. "OoOooh ObSama iz comin 2 getz M3!!".

Like some people have said. If you want a high sodium diet, carry a salt-shaker in your pocket.

You get all the salt you need from natural sources such as:

~mg of sodium per 100g

• Apple, raw unpeeled 1
  • Apple juice, bottled 1
  • Asparagus, cooked 1
  • Avocado 4
  • Bacon, cooked 1021
  • Bacon, canadian 2500
  • Banana 1
  • Barly, pearled 3
  • Beans, Lima 1
  • Beans, snap green, cooked 4
  • Beans, white common, cooked 7
  • Bean sprouts, cooked 4
  • Beef, roasted broiled or stewed 60
  • Beef, corned 1,740
  • Beets, cooked 43
  • Blackberries 1
  • Bluefish, cooked 104
  • Bread 300 to 500
  • Broccoli, cooked 10
  • Brussel sprouts, cooked 10
  • Cabbage 20
  • Cantaloupe 12
  • Carrots 40
  • Cashews, unsalted 15
  • Cauliflower 10
  • Celery, raw 126 (cooked 88)
  • Cherries, Raw 2
  • Chicken, cooked, without skin 60 to 80
  • Chickpeas, dry 8
  • Chicory 7
  • Chocolate, plain 4
  • Clams, raw soft 36
  • Clams, hard, round 205
  • Cocoa, dry 6
  • Coconut, fresh 23
  • Collards, cooked 25
  • Cranberry juice or sauce 1
  • Cucumber 6
  • Dates 1
  • Duck 74
  • Eggplant, cooked 1
  • Egg, whole, raw 74 (whites 152, yolk 49)
  • Figs 2
  • Flounder 78
  • Flour 2
  • Grapefruit, fresh, canned or juice 1
  • Grapes 3
  • Heart, beef 86
  • Herring 74
  • Honey 5
  • Honeydew melon 12
  • Lamb, lean 70
  • Lemon, juice or fresh 1
  • Lettuce 9
  • Lime, fresh or juice 1
  • Liver, beef 184
  • Liver, pork 111
  • Lobster 210
  • Mushrooms 14
  • Nectarine 6
  • Nuts, in shell 1 (processed nuts may contain high amounts of salt)
  • Olives, green 2,400
  • Onions, green 5 (mature 10)
  • Orange peeled, juice, canned or juice 1
  • Oysters, raw 73
  • Papayas, raw 3
  • Parsley 45
  • Parsnips, cooked 8
  • Peaches 2
  • Peanuts, roasted 5 (salted 418)
  • Pears 2
  • Peas, cooked 2
  • Peas, dried 40
  • Peppers, green 13
  • Perch 79
  • Pineapple, raw or canned 1
  • Plums 2
  • Pork 65
  • Pork, cured ham 930
  • Prunes 4
  • Radishes 18
  • Raisins, dried 27
  • Raspberries 1
  • Rhubarb 2
  • Rice, dry 5
  • Salmon 64
  • Scallops, 265
  • Shrimp 150
  • Spinach, raw 71 (cooked 50)
  • Squash 1
  • Strawberries 1
  • Sunflower seeds 30
  • Sweetpotatoes 12
  • Tomato 3
  • Tongue, beef 61
  • Tuna in oil 800
  • Turkey, 82
  • Turnips 34
  • Veal 80
  • Walnuts 3
  • Watermelon 1
  • Yoghurt 46

Eating a proper balance of natural foods, and maybe sprinkling a bit of sea-salt on your meat and you're all good to go. It's not #ing hard, but because we're all idiots from uncle sam and capitalism, I think the government should gave guidelines and minimum standards for food producers. This is a drop in the ocean of what needs to happen.

And whoever showed that clip of demolition man, (haven't seen it b4, I'm loading it now), but I wish in someways that is what it was like. If people we're being fined (not necessarily money) for the stupid and irresponsible things they did, maybe people would be more self-regulating, conscious and creative.

It all depends if the decisions being made are benevolent or malevolent in nature. I'm not sure swearing should be on that list, but high-sodium levels in food should definitely be on it.

Why should GM nutrient-shallow foods be 2 or 3 times cheaper than biodynamic nutrient-rich foods? I'd like to see the government regulate that!

[edit on 20/4/10 by ghostsoldier]

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by ghostsoldier

So basically what you're saying is that you don't just want a nanny state where we don't have to make a decision on what to eat because the government has already decided what we can eat, you want a complete totalitarian state where we have no freedom of choice whatsoever.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jenna

So basically what you're saying is that you don't just want a nanny state where we don't have to make a decision on what to eat because the government has already decided what we can eat, you want a complete totalitarian state where we have no freedom of choice whatsoever.

Don't tell me you're one of those people who define freedom by stuff you spend your money on?

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy

Should we be limited in our selections of food by the government?

NO.

You got that right..... I'm really pissed at PLANTERS PEANUTS using SEA SALT!!!
SEA SALT does not go good with peanuts and beer!

Nothing better than regular salted peanuts and beer..... so I emailed Planters.

Planters Consumer Relations

The formulation of PLANTERS Peanuts has indeed changed and I'm sorry you were disappointed with your most recent purchase.

With more than 100 years of history as an iconic brand and company, Planters has always looked for innovative ways to deliver high-quality, fresh-tasting nut products to consumers. We continuously listen to consumers like you and your thoughts on what you’re looking for when it comes to nuts and snacking.

In this case, we conducted a written consumer concept test where participants were asked if they would prefer regular Planters nuts or Planters nuts made with sea salt. The results found that 80 percent of consumers who read the concept said they would prefer to eat the product made with sea salt.

Maintaining the taste our consumers like you know and love was very important to us, so we did work to make sure that the familiar flavor and texture remained the same when we made this change. Planters will still deliver the high-quality, fresh-tasting nuts people know and expect from this trusted brand. We made this change in order to keep on trend with what our consumers want from nuts and their snacking experience– in this case, sea salt.

Our staff works very hard to provide the best tasting and satisfying products to the preferences of most consumers. Your opinion about the product is important to us as well and I will share your comments with our product development staff.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Kim McMiller
Associate Director, Consumer Relations

They changed the salt on a BS consumer report, I'm one of their biggest consumer and they never asked me about sea salt? I have a feeling something isn't right about this....... Now I'm buying generic peanuts to go with my generic beer!

I don't believe this BS!

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Nope, I'm one of those people who is fully capable of making my own decisions and doesn't want the government poking their nose in where it doesn't belong to tell me what I should do, what I can say, what I can and can't eat, etc. Basically the opposite of a totalitarian state and everything your post seems to be asking for.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Most Americans are already too obese to serve in the military so I say let them get fatter. Soon there won't be enough soldiers to maintain the empire

Eat up fellas!

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

Well the sad thing is, most people aren't interested enough to educate themselves and become fully developed responsible-sentient adult human beings. And waiting for them to kill themselves takes too long, and doesn't really achieve much anyway because they have usually passed their genes onto another generation already - so in the meantime, lets cut health-care costs.

Capitalism creates the need for profit, profit is created by market-share, market-share comes from advertising, advertising comes from the product, and the product in this case is bad. But its addictive because its filled with salt, and the advertising hides the fact.

now in reverse:

Product labeling and advertising standards are as such that companies can virtually hide important information in plain sight. Salt is addictive and bad for you, therefor the product is also. But it gets advertised so it gets bought, pushing unadvertised but potentially more healthy options out of the marketplace because they can't compete and maintain the cost:price ratio needed for a company to compete in a free-market unregulated capitalistic society.

And since we proved that people aren't interested in educating themselves. The government is right (in this case) to make informed choices on idiots behalf.

You want salt in your food - cook it, or sprinkle it on - no-one is going to take your freedom to buy table-salt.

The law is to stop the quiet-majority of idiots from feeding their babies table-spoons of table-salt.

Catch the metaphor?

What do you want? Unregulated Capitalism? You know what that would lead to don't you?

I personally don't define my freedom by how many different breakfast cereals I have to choose from when I go shopping...

Catch the metaphor?

[edit on 20/4/10 by ghostsoldier]

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Salt is attacked when there are many other things that should be outlawed in foods.

MSG, artificial preservatives, artificial this, artificial that, hormones, pesticides, chemicals. This stuff right here, that's what I don't want in my food.

That being said, what I want in my food is food. If I want to drink a beer, I would like natural beer, as wholesome as beer can get. If I get a cheeseburger I would like healthy organic cows to make up the burger. If I buy a cake......

I want the right things to be outlawed, not tell me that I can't have a salty snack. I think salt may be demonized far too much, when other things are really causing the problem. Now, there is sea salt, cell salts and stuff, which is preferable.

What I'm saying is we need to clean up the real problems with the food industry, if we are to offer better foods to the people of this country. If it's a desert, then it's made with the finest natural ingredients. Desert isn't bad in moderation. Salt isn't bad in the right quantities. Fatty foods aren't necessarily so bad in the proper quantities. And I want the damn chlorine, fluoride, and chloramine out of my water.

Take the real junk out of the foods, and even the snack and junk foods would be better for us.

Understand, this would be a huge overhaul of how we do things, but it would be the right thing. Organic farming, composting on a huge scale. Pesticides gone. Clean water, finally. Compost instead of landfill. Every package can either fully biodegrade without polluting or be recycled easily, etc...

Troy

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by ghostsoldier
Well the sad thing is, most people aren't interested enough to educate themselves and become fully developed responsible-sentient adult human beings. And waiting for them to kill themselves takes too long, and doesn't really achieve much anyway because they have usually passed their genes onto another generation already - so in the meantime, lets cut health-care costs.

Why bother regulating anything then, let's just kill off the useless unproductive members of society and be done with it. Then the country will be a utopia full of perfect people who do everything exactly the way you think they should!

Salt is addictive and bad for you, therefor the product is also.

You know that stuff they put in iv's if you get admitted to the hospital? That stuff in a clear bag labeled 'saline'? You know what that is? Sterile salt water. You know why they give you salt water if you're admitted to the hospital? Because your body needs salt to function. Salt is not bad for you in and of itself. Too little salt intake can harm your body almost as badly as too much can. Anything in excess can make you sick or kill you. But to claim salt is addictive and bad when it's necessary and vital to keep your body functioning is just ridiculous.

And since we proved that people aren't interested in educating themselves. The government is right (in this case) to make informed choices on idiots behalf.

We did? When did we do that? And no, the government is not 'right' to step in and make someone's choices for them just because you decide they're an idiot.

What do you want? Unregulated Capitalism? You know what that would lead to don't you?

What I want is for the government to stop overstepping it's bounds. What I want is the freedom to make my own choices without being told I can't eat something because it's bad for me. If I want to win a Darwin award, that's my choice. What I want is for people to realize that it's not their place to dictate how someone else lives. As long as I'm not hurting anyone else, it's no one's business what I do, what I say, or what I eat.

I personally don't define my freedom by how many different breakfast cereals I have to choose from when I go shopping...

Catch the metaphor?

Neither do I, what's your point? I told you how I define my freedom. Cereal choices didn't even make the list.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 12:31 AM
link   
If people are worried about salt, all I can say is point to another major electrolyte, Potassium.

You see, Potassium Sodium ratio is closely tied.

It could be said of a loose comparison to the fatty acids Omega 3 6 ratio.

If you up your Potassium intake, you help balance the electrolyte ratio to Sodium and its effects.

Potassium

-competes with Sodium
-is a mild diuretic and promotes regular intestine/bowel movements
-helps combat water retention

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Bread is a prepared food that requires salt in the dough before it is baked in order to taste good to ALMOST everyone.
That is why bakeries add salt to the dough. If you have never tasted it without salt in the mix, I have. It tastes awful.
Some here would have us salt our bread at the table, it doesn't work.

Come on, have us be limited to buying salt-less or salt-limited bread because some of you ( THE MINORITY ) would like it better that way.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 06:54 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

One one hand, it's ONLY a good thing in terms of health benefits across the board.

Those who say "hey, salt protects me from radiation - I need it" clearly don't understand that your body PRODUCES salts from practically any kind of nourishment.

FAT is perpetrated by the media as the major cause of heart disease, but salt is such a big killer (ask your GP, nurse, any nutritiounist!).

On the other side to this argument, if you're ignorant enough to have too much salt in your diet it kills you, then so be it - I mean the world has too many people in it. If you cark it from too much salt (be it from ignorance or sheer defiance), then surely you deserve what you get. Right?

Pig out, people - live the dream!

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
So now they are going to limit the amount of salt in foods? What are they going to replace it with if anything?

Probably a version of aspartame.

I often wonder if they say consuming salt is bad for us because they care about us, or because evil spirits can't stand the stuff.

[edit on 21/4/10 by NuclearPaul]

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by ladyinwaiting
FDA now reporting 150,000 lives per year could be saved, by just cutting the amount of sodium in processed foods.

How do they ascertain those figures? I have no idea.

Anyway....Bye guys! Good thread.

Well, I personally believe limiting salt in foods is a good thing. Salt is one of the leading cause of high blood pressure. High blood pressure is known as "the silent killer".

If they don't limit salts in foods, nothing limits people from killing themselves from eating too much of it.

I think about 1 cup of salt will make your heart stop. If for some reason a cookie has 1 teaspoon of salt in it, and you ate 48 of them, your heart would probably stop.

So who limits the amount of salt in a cookie? Somebody hopefully...

Salt is a poison we use for flavor. It's not very smart...

[edit on 21-4-2010 by ALLis0NE]

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

And that is the one million dollar question, see the government doesn't do anything that would not give some type of profit making for the food industry, usually the fix is worst than the problem.

Remember when they change the animal fats for manufactured oils? guess what America have not gotten any skinnier.

Somebody is about to make big money in profits for the new salt alternative in processed foods because salt like corn syrup are preservatives and is not going to be any healthier for the consumer.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   
salt's not all bad. just the stuff they remove minerals from is bad (table salt for example). now this salt is good:
himalayan pink salt. i just pop a grain in my mouth every so often, maybe once a month, more often if i'm sick, but usually not more than once a day, even then. good replacement for table salt
www.saltworks.us...

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join