It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. plans drive to limit salt in foods

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Equinox99

Well many people can't make that decision. Well, they could but they don't feel like it.

Point being what? That if people don't feel like doing it themselves the government needs to step in and hold their hand through the decision making process? I don't feel like getting up some mornings to start my day and would rather stay in bed a few more hours, but I do it anyway because I can't just sleep all day or nothing will get done. I don't feel like going to the store and dealing with crowds of people who block aisles while they stand around and talk and prices that go up while packages get smaller, but I do it anyway because I have to buy groceries or my kids won't have food to eat. I don't feel like lugging laundry up and down two flights of stairs to wash it and then put it away, but I do it anyway or my kids won't have clean clothes to wear.

Adults have to do a lot of things they don't feel like doing, that's comes with growing up. We can't stay children forever and have mommy and daddy do all our deciding for us. The only thing the government needs to do is make the information from the medical community available, which they already do, so that I can decide if I really want that box of sugary cereal and that bag of salty chips or if I should buy that bag of apples instead.

We are in an era where people want everything handed to them on a silver platter. Good work ethics is dead and the world of lazies is emerging the victor.

So we should perpetuate that attitude by hand-holding all the people who can't or won't take care of themselves? All that does is breed even more laziness and a whole new generation of people who wouldn't know how to make their own decisions and accept the consequences with a step-by-step guide and a video tutorial.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Salt is...

Or more correctly, sodium is the most insidious of food additives... Nothing generates more health problems than sodium... Not any of the sweeteners, not even fat... Sodium causes hypertension and water retention that cascades into a myriad of chronic, life threatening health issues. Heart failure being numero uno on this list. Ordinarily, I would adhere to caveat emptor on this issue... But since I am now the "buyer" and I have more than a little skin in the game (thank you Obama, Pelosi, and Reed), I want protection. I don't want my tax dollars wasted on the undisciplined masses... If you can't control what you put in your body, then someone else (Big Brother) will do it for you. So while I applaud this effort, it doesn't go far enough... Fat, sugar, anything else that might harm one of my 300 million dependents now needs to be off limits.

Want to get the government out of your bag of crisps? Get the government out of my wallet.

Health Freak Monkeys, not just for heart healthy diets anymore...

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   
So by supporters of this action's own logic, since people who talk on cellphones who drive cause accidents and drive up my insurance rates and put me and my family in danger, I have the right to reach through the window and take thier phone away from them or tell a cop to confiscate their phone because they are incapable of making a sane decision to not drive while on the phone? This is a slippery slope and people who think this is just helping society need to wake up. Who in the hell are any of you to decide that somehow you are so much smarter and better than everyone else that YOUR outlook and lifestyle must be enforced. You claim and rail that our actions cost you money. Let me have 5 minutes to examine YOUR life and I bet I can say the same about you. If you think prices are going to drop because of some regulation you are sadly mistaken and need to take an economics class. Just like taxes, once in place they are permanent. How about next you go ahead and regualte my painkillers becasue they destroy my liver and drive up your insurance rates. Or maybe do away with handicap facilities because they drive the prices of the products you buy up? Or wait, I got it, take away my cane because it puts undue wear and tear on the sidewalks and causes your city taxes to go up because they have to maintain them against my cane. Regulating ANY of this will NEVER bring rates or prices down. You know it, and I know it so let's drop the facade and just admit you can't keep you noses out of other's business? *Rant Off*

[edit on 20-4-2010 by djvexd]

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blanca Rose
Actually a bag of baby carrots costs less than that where I live. I don't eat them because they contain way too many carbohydrates for me, but thanks. I purchase those for my husband as well, and he will eat them when we are out of chips, along with the dip he can't do without.

Emphasis added by me.

Thank you for proving my point.
Here's a brilliant idea that will save us all:

Throw out the damn chips and dip and leave your husband with the carrots!

Again, this is solely about your husband's apparent lack of self-control. Personally, I could care less if he weighed 500 pounds and never got off the couch. That's his choice. And yours should you choose to put up with it. It's not my business to tell you how to run your house -- and it's not the government's job either!

But I'll be darned if I am going to pay more because he can't "help himself" but to eat the bag.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   

reply to post by mblahnikluver

I am sitting here looking at a bag of Dorito's that my husband bought yesterday because he is a junk food junkie. Because he insists on eating these kinds of snacks, and then dumps more salt on every meal, I think this is a good idea.

So he INSISTS on eating crap? How is that my fault or anyone elses that he cant control what he eats or eating healthy? So the govt should tell me what to eat because people like your husband and many others cant control their food intake. Sorry but no!

According to the package I am reading, a serving of these Dorito's contains 8% of your daily allowance of salt. The serving portion is 11 chips. Now, let me ask you how many people who eat Dorito's sit and count out every 11 chips to figure out their salt intake, or stop at 11 chips?
Then add to it, any other processed sort of food, from cheese, to ham...etc. People really do overdue salt, even if not intentionally.

Well the serving size is there for a reason. I dont eat a whole bag of Doritos EVER, not even the small bags. When I was a child and got chips with lunch it was about 10 chips. Why do I need anymore? Personally I find it disgusting to watch someone polish off a bag of Doritos and I am not talking about the smaller ones. All foods have salt pretty much but people should really pay more attention to what they eat and how much. If it's bad for you and you know it and you still eat tons of it, then it's your fault nobody elses.

I am one of those people that read a label on just about everything I eat, or purchase at the store.

Good! I do too, drives whoever is with me nuts.

I am also one of those people who puts a substitute for salt in the salt shaker at home because my husband doesn't care how much salt he eats, as long as the food tastes just right to him.

He's not a healthy person to begin with, having MS, kidney problems, and high blood pressure which salt only intensifies.

I guess my point is, that some people do need regulating because they won't do it for themselves.

Sorry your husband has health problems but he should really have some self control esp if he knows it hurts his health. To me it's like people who smoke while they have lung cancer because they just wont give it up even if it kills them. I value life way too much for any of that. If they start this with salt then just think how many other things they will regulate.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   
We are entering a new era of prohibition. Worked out well the first time didnt it? Any one ever heard of Al Capone? The Mafia?

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by lpowell0627

Throw out the damn chips and dip and leave your husband with the carrots!

Again, this is solely about your husband's apparent lack of self-control. Personally, I could care less if he weighed 500 pounds and never got off the couch. That's his choice. And yours should you choose to put up with it. It's not my business to tell you how to run your house -- and it's not the government's job either!

But I'll be darned if I am going to pay more because he can't "help himself" but to eat the bag.

Sorry, but you are assuming that everyone who needs help on these issues is a fat, lazy, glutton, which is not the case. My husband is not overweight, being 160 lbs on a 5'10 frame. He does not sit and just eat a bag of chips. He does have, as I said earlier, MS, hypertension, and kidney problems. There is no Surgeon General warning on a bag of chips for people who already suffer from some of these diseases.

I'd also like to point out, that my husband is dyslexic, and does not read the back of a bag of chips for this reason. So, not everyone is capable of doing what you suggest, even if they try. YOU ARE telling people what to do, and what you want, simply because of your preconceived notion that people are capable of doing what you suggest (cough, cough) or tell people to do.

Once again, it is not about the chips, it's about the outrageous amount of salt in them.

If the government needs to tell manufacturers what safe limits should be for consumers, then I applaud it, and think it is well needed for some of the personal reasons I listed above.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

Why just limit it to fast foods?
Why not make it illegal?

If the manufacturers shouldn't be allowed to put it on the chips, why should anyone be able to buy a bag of the stuff to put on their food with no government official there in the home to regulate it's use?

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver

So he INSISTS on eating crap? How is that my fault or anyone elses that he cant control what he eats or eating healthy? So the govt should tell me what to eat because people like your husband and many others cant control their food intake. Sorry but no!

He does insist on eating them. He also makes the money in the household, and I am not going to tell him he can't buy them, but I do insist, as I said earlier that he must make a bag, 11 3/4 ounces in this case, last a week. The point I was trying to make is that he eats them, most the time with a ham and cheese sandwich. While the salt in the chips alone is alarming, there is also the salt in the ham, and everything else that goes along with the chips that really concerns me. Not once did I ever say in any of my replies that my husband sits and eats a bag of chips at one sitting!

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy

If the manufacturers shouldn't be allowed to put it on the chips, why should anyone be able to buy a bag of the stuff to put on their food with no government official there in the home to regulate it's use?

I think you have this all wrong, but understandably. Where has anyone mentioned that they can't put salt in the chips? As people have mentioned, salt is needed in everyone's diet to a degree. The amount of salt in some things needs to be limited, not completely done away with.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   

reply to post by mblahnikluver

I am sitting here looking at a bag of Dorito's that my husband bought yesterday because he is a junk food junkie. Because he insists on eating these kinds of snacks, and then dumps more salt on every meal, I think this is a good idea.

According to the package I am reading, a serving of these Dorito's contains 8% of your daily allowance of salt. The serving portion is 11 chips. Now, let me ask you how many people who eat Dorito's sit and count out every 11 chips to figure out their salt intake, or stop at 11 chips?
Then add to it, any other processed sort of food, from cheese, to ham...etc. People really do overdue salt, even if not intentionally.

I am one of those people that read a label on just about everything I eat, or purchase at the store.

I am also one of those people who puts a substitute for salt in the salt shaker at home because my husband doesn't care how much salt he eats, as long as the food tastes just right to him.

He's not a healthy person to begin with, having MS, kidney problems, and high blood pressure which salt only intensifies.

I guess my point is, that some people do need regulating because they won't do it for themselves.

How about picking up a carrot or an apple? No one forces people buy products with high sodium/salt content. I'm sorry to hear about your husband and please don't mis-interpret my response as a lack of compassion but if we all ate like we had diabetes then we'd all be better off for it. And most importantly we'd be making our own choices.

I had elevated blood pressure and decided to mostly cut out meat, eat lots of veggies, drop my sodium intake to next to nothing, and drop 25 pounds ( muscle of course ) all without the help of the government.

I do wish your husband well. I had a family member with MS and its a heartbreaking disease.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Whew, I hope this isn't too off-topic for anyone. I'm subscribed to "Daily Dose", a natural health focas newsletter by W.C. Douglas. (Remember the Douglas report)? He had claims that are both pro-sodium (which is what I was looking for a moment ago), and pro-cholesterol which are medically investigated, sugar-water injections behind the joints to cure arthritus (a proven process in the 60's which was buried by the industry), and so much more. I couldn't find his takes on sodium, although they are available; I'll share this instead, in the vein of, "While the government harps on about lowering sodium" ...

Hidden hazards of nano-ingredients

I never thought I'd say this, but there's something in your food that's even worse than sugar... and this microscopic new threat isn't even listed on the ingredients label.

These tiny terrors are called "nanoparticles" or "nanomaterials," and they've been scientifically engineered to make foods look better and last longer.

But when it comes to nano, just say no-no -- because nanotechnology, as it's called, is wildly unregulated and dangerously untested. In fact, we have no idea at all what this junk might to do humans -- yet you're probably eating it right now.

Welcome to your new life as a supermarket lab rat.

What little we do know is downright frightening: A two-year study on animals at UCLA found nano-titanium dioxide -- the most common nanoparticle -- caused DNA and chromosome damage, according to AOL News.

The researchers say this kind of severe damage could lead to cancer, heart disease and brain disease... and yet these nano-particles are turning up in everything from fruit and vegetable coatings to salad dressing to ice cream.

We used to call that food tampering. Instead, the mad scientists behind this sick scheme are considered industry pioneers.

Meanwhile, the FDA is so in the dark on this one that they won't even admit it's in your food... even if its own experts say it is. In fact, the AOL News report found that 20 of the world's top food makers have their own nano-labs or contracts with universities to develop nano-ingredients for them.

And because there's no requirement to list these particles on nutritional labels, there's no way of knowing if your food has been nano-tainted... and therefore no way to avoid it.

It's reaching the point where the only way to be safe is to grow your own -- and if you have the time and space, don't wait -- spring is here. Start planting today.

That email was from April 14th.
douglassreport.com...

Edit: Here it is, and right on-topic then.

Are you getting enough salt in your diet?

I just read a report online that flies in the face of what conventional medicine has been pushing on the public for years. New research suggests not eating enough salt could be WORSE for your heart than consuming too much of it.

Yawn. Excuse my lack of enthusiasm. After all, this is old news to me – and it should be to you as well. I’ve been telling you for years that salt is good for you.

douglassreport.com...

[edit on 20-4-2010 by Northwarden]

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy

I think you have this all wrong, but understandably. Where has anyone mentioned that they can't put salt in the chips? As people have mentioned, salt is needed in everyone's diet to a degree. The amount of salt in some things needs to be limited, not completely done away with.
Oh silly me....
I got it from the OP!

Read it! It says that this effort will eventually lead to limits on the amount of salt allowed in processed foods.

Sorry for being so wrong, but if it is not ok for the manufacturer to put it on, how is okay for you to be completely unregulated at home with the same product, when the goal is to protect YOUR health?

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Thirty_Foot_Smurf

Once you read further in to the thread, we do get to the issue of carrots versus chips!

Once again, I apologize if I have given everyone the impression that chips are all my husband eats. He gets them along with his lunch, not even as just a snack.

Believe me, with the health issues he has, his diet is pretty well planned out by me for the rest of his meals, which I don't add much salt to, because I know he is going to add it himself, anyway. Hence the salt substitute in the salt shaker, which he hasn't figured out yet! Shhhh!

I look at it this way, also. If I tell him he can't have the chips at all, he will just want them more!

Some people have old habits that are hard to break. He was raised by people in the south, who put a ton of salt on everything. People look at me like I am nuts for bringing a salad to family pot lucks that feature corn bread, gumbo's, chicken and dumplings........if that is what some folks were raised on, they won't change their habits so easily when it comes to what they are used to.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Say, why don't they wrap the entire population in foam rubber and lock them in the basement to make sure that no harm comes to them at the same time?

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blanca Rose corn bread, gumbo's, chicken and dumplings........if that is what some folks were raised on, they won't change their habits so easily when it comes to what they are used to.
Easy to change in the Nanny State!

Just have our wonderful, caring GOVERNMENT ban corn bread, gumbos and chicken and dumplings!

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

I understand your point here, and it does seem silly.

Possibly people are being given too much credit to be responsible for their own home concoctions than what is mass produced for us.

I do have a problem at home with my husbands love of salt. I put a salt substitute in the salt shaker at home for that reason.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by airvicemarshal
Say, why don't they wrap the entire population in foam rubber and lock them in the basement to make sure that no harm comes to them at the same time?
Number one cause of death and injuries in the home are from falls.

Mostly head injuries, so maybe the gubmint could just make us wear helmets while we are at home.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

No problem for me! I don't eat the stuff, and wouldn't miss it. THAT, is why I bring the salad to the pot lucks!

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by ghostsoldier

I am an adult. If I want to eat salt, it is my god given right! What's next? Butter? Cheese? Milk?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join