It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man kills himself after being reported for joke

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 01:19 AM
link   
"Open concept Psychiatric ward" - priceless!!

what a great segue
Did the thought occur to anyone besides me that for the most part we are all discussing our ideas of what was going through the mind of a suicide victim? I mean we couldn't possibly have a clue really, it being after all his mind. Besides, what's the risk some of us won't reach the same conclusions if we succeed in "getting into this guy's head"?

gj

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 06:31 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

There is a country music singer, I think his name is Jimmy Dale Gilmore, I don't think he's very famous. But the following lyric is in one of his songs.

I would have killed myself...
But it made no sense....
Committing suicide.......in self defense

I can think of circumstances in which I would rather die, than live. But being suspended from a job, pending an investigation, is not one of them. I think to preserve my "honor and dignity" I would fight for myself.

There was a thread recently about anger. I was trying to point out some of the worthwhile qualities about it. I included:

Anger moves us to correct injustices.

Had I made an off-the-cuff remark to a friend who thought it was funny, and it was over heard by a third party who reported me for racism, indeed, my anger and sense of injustice would have kicked in.

Wouldn't your's?

[edit on 4/13/2010 by ladyinwaiting]

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by ganjoa
"Open concept Psychiatric ward" - priceless!!

what a great segue
Did the thought occur to anyone besides me that for the most part we are all discussing our ideas of what was going through the mind of a suicide victim? I mean we couldn't possibly have a clue really, it being after all his mind. Besides, what's the risk some of us won't reach the same conclusions if we succeed in "getting into this guy's head"?

gj

Absolutely true. Behind every face, there is a story. We have no idea what was going on in his life, much less through his mind.

This incident could very well have been the straw that broke the camel's back.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 07:02 AM
link   
This story has made me really sad, I just feel so sad for that poor man and his family/friends.

I don't believe he necessarily had anything else 'going on' in his life, I think some people are very sensitive and caring and the thought that they've done something 'wrong' is enough to tip them over the edge (not to mention, as others on here have done, that financially his life was probably in ruins).

How have we got to a state in this world where people can't make harmless jokes (and yes, it was clearly a harmless joke) without some little snotty-nosed snoopy little PC bleep reporting them?

I'd like to think that the person who reported the man is now feeling some kind of guilt or remorse - after all, he's the cause of the guy's death.
Sadly though, I bet he isn't feeling anything of the sort. People like that, in my opinion, don't have any concern for others.

Its a pity he wasn't the one to shoot himself, it would have done the world a huge favour.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
YOU CANT EVEN MAKE A JOKE ANYMORE!

I know, and that's a real shame.

I know I have made sexist, ageist and raciest jokes in the work place, in the pub, around friends even here on this site (usually about the yanks or the ozzys! - or the welsh, or the cornish, or the french, even my own sort... It's funny).

Any way this joke was within the bounds of a friendship, jokes help bond friendships, sometimes boundaries are slightly overstepped and forgiven - that's how we know where the boundaries are and friends will respect that.

This is a sad story and I blame that bizzybody person who filed the complaint, sometimes people can have a little too much power, any complaint once made official has to be investigated - why did that person not just address the 2 guys involved?

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

I didn't say that I condoned the hysteria. I believe it was taken out of context. But the man was suspended, he didn't lose his job that I know of. That is the difference.

Yes it is hard to find a job in this economy. but now his family has to deal with the grief, loss of income. And most insurances don't pay on suicides. So now they are left with money. AT least being jobless, you still have a chance of finding work.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by ganjoa

People commit suicde when their problems exceed their coping mechanisms. Simply put. That is why someone can live in a landfill and survive and someoene loses 5k and kills themselves. That is why I said this guy must of had more going on.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Man...thats a bit extreme.
Yes, if your going to make jokes at work, make sure to either be very subtle with your mates, or simply keep all the more racy jokes for after work over a beer kinda thing.

The guy killed himself over potential firing...sounds like this guy was a bit more unstable than the average person to begin with...

Actually, managment should have pulled the target of the joke aside and simply asked him if he felt in any way offended or if it was just a lighthearted joke..a warning should have been enough not to joke like that at work...maybe it was meant only as inside humor between the two, but someone else may have gotten offended by the comment..but immediate firing because of lighthearted humor?

I dont know what to think about this actually...just seems like such a waste and overreaction on everyones part.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Ah, so I was correct....it's from the Daily Mail.

That rag thrives on these kinds of stories.

I can't wait for all the threads that appear here in ten days time....

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   
People quit thinking some time ago. Oh not all people, and not all the time, but too many people, too much of the time.
When you 'snitch' on someone, or 'tell the authorities' - it can have very far reaching consequences for that person and that person's entire family, pets, everything.

But you'd think for some people that they think it is like grade school. "Oh my neighbor might be stealing cable tv, I've got to call the police!" The neighbor is already out of work, with 4 kids.

Same person would NEVER grab their cajones and go up to the neighbor and ASK and voice their disapproval. Oh no, everyone wants to hide behind the authorities that they trust so much.

Then same people wring their hands and worry "about the children."

I hear ads on the radio encouraging people to 'snitch' when they know something illegal is going on. It upsets me. Generally, I think its a judgment call and most of the time, people should use better judgment.

Of course there's so much brainwashing now and so many rules, people don't have to use their judgement, so they are losing their ability to or something.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   
It has nothing to do about freedom of speech, it has to do with close minded individuals who have no sense of humor.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder

Originally posted by Bhadhidar
Yes, this incident had a tragic outcome, but are we to excuse boorish behavior just because those of us whose social intellect stopped developing sometime before puberty think being called to task for their uncivilized behavior is "Uncool"?

So, just to be clear: You would agree that the fact of this human being's death is less significant than the vital, urgant task of stringantly policing every private conversation that happens to go on in the work place, including jokes between two friends, neither of whom is offended by said joke despite its questionable taste.

I just want to be clear that I understand you, because this is what it sounds like you are saying to me. That language is more important than life.

Well said Silent Thunder.
It was obviously some one as obnoxious as that who reported this 'crime'.
Nazi Germany had nothing on GB 2010 in terms of sinister little creeps ready to turn their neighbor in for nothing.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
There is no such thing as suicide, the man was subtly murdered is all. We humans have subtle ways of murdering. I'd always rather someone just shoot me than shoot myself. Try to imagine how painful your life must be to shoot yourself, that's how painful his life was and it didn't become like that all on its own.

Yeah it takes honour and dignity to shoot yourself, but those ain't virtues. Some people take their lives for things we perceive as petty, but there is usually not much life left to kill at the end.
Many times people can get their lives back, but they forgot what it is, to have life, if poor souls ever even had one.

Oh and I'm sure this doc's decision wasn't about political correctness at all.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   
After 30years loyal service this man would have been devestated.

It would have effected him deep to the core.

We all react differently in such circumstances.

Shame on the colleague who 'grassed' him up but surely this is just reflective of the society we live in where neighbours are encouraged to inform on neighbours and family members on each other for any slight transgrssion.

Remind anyone of Nazi Geramny and The Gestapo or Stalin's KGB?

I have quite a few friends who are black and Asian and I constantly ripp the piss out of them, as they do me....it is British humour and has happened for centuries.

This is another example of the effects of The PC Brigade and the Though Police trying to change society through social engineering.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bhadhidar

Smart people Don't Make "Jokes" Using Unprofessional Language In Professional Settings!

That's called Maturtity.

That's part of being an Adult!

Yes, this incident had a tragic outcome, but are we to excuse boorish behavior just because those of us whose social intellect stopped developing sometime before puberty think being called to task for their uncivilized behavior is "Uncool"?

So, you OK this oppressive behavior from your environment and claim that somebody else is responsible for your feelings? And that those who cause you to feel something, anything, should be punished? This is how (Muslims for instance) are preparing the ground to take over the world - by conditioning people to not say this, not say that, not do this, not do that (because it insults them) - and you call that "mature" behavior?

The thought police, which enables the mediocrities to terrorize just about anyone they want, to make you lose your job, your freedom, everything. In the end they'll be sending all those they want to concentration camps, because, this is how it all begins. Because of one word, you can go below the ice.

[edit on 13-4-2010 by DangerDeath]

[edit on 13-4-2010 by DangerDeath]

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   
What kind of drugs was this guy on thinking a joke would ruin his career.
One less idiot in the world to worry about if you ask me, there is more to life then a career in making prosthetics.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Not surprised one bit, about arseholes doing this to others.

If this is true, just shows the more and more scum out there.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
While I feel sorry for the tragedy of the suicide, am I the only person who thinks maybe his "joke" was, at least slightly, and subtly offensive and unprofessional?

He really has no right to make a "joke" (I'd call it a subtle putdown) like that. And if he had been smart he wouldn't have said it in front of other people, one of which at least was offended (the one who reported him).

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

Originally posted by nixie_nox

And to also stereotype the whole world because one story, is also skewed.

No it's not.

Look at how heartless you are.

You just called a man who killed himself stupid. (Do you always make fun of dead bodies?)

I can barely stand living on Earth with you folks....and I have a very high tolerance level for this crap.

Some people think it's hard to kill, some people think it's easy and talk all kinds of Rambo crap,
I guess we've always had those 2 types of people, and probably always will.
What I've come to conclude is that, when the weight of "I dont care" surpasses every available first response, by the majority of those sharing their opinion, the idea of compassion, understanding and caring, is gone.
There are so so many hardened souls now, even the youth without any experience that could validate the apathy dominate society.
I have a high tolerance as well, but my bucket is full anymore,
and I recognize, within myself, the need to talk myself down more frequently, lest I become ,as I no doubt easily can be, just as apathetic and cold as the world requests.

Its words, they were friends, it was a joke.

[edit on 13-4-2010 by HappilyEverAfter]

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
tragic story but i can see both side's their might of been more behind it but thats not the point the point is why was he suspended. britain is a free speech country he didnt offend anyone apart from the third party who he simply wasnt addressing so they had no right to report him. and for those who say he should of acted professional in work and not made the joke

WTF

why are we alive if we cant have fun. even at work?

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join