It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man kills himself after being reported for joke

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   
This sad tale raises numerous questions about freedom of speech and protection in the workplace, the limits of "political correctness," and the extent to which words (and reactions to words) cause harm.

A white British man made a politically incorrect joke about a black friend of his at work. The article notes that the black friendhad been close to the white man for years and was not at all offended by the joke. However, a third party overheard the remark and reported the white man, who was suspended from work. Distraught over the impact on his career, he killed himself.

Lab technician kills himself after complaint over his joke that black friend 'should hide from immigration officers'

A medical technician killed himself after being suspended from work after someone complained that he made a politically-incorrect joke about a black friend.

Roy Amor, 61, who was devastated at the prospect of losing his job making prosthetics, shot himself in the head outside his house.

He was facing a disciplinary investigation after suggesting to the black colleague that he ‘better hide’ when they noticed immigration officers outside their clinic.

It is understood that the man was a close friend of Mr Amor and was not offended. However, it was overheard by someone else who lodged a formal complaint.

Five days after his suspension, Mr Amor received an email about the incident from his employers, Opcare, a private company that provides prosthetic and orthotic services to the NHS...

...The black man, who is believed to have attended Mr Amor’s funeral and had known him for many years, is said to be ‘shattered’.

More at source:
www.dailymail.co.uk...

+26 more 
posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I know most people will not like this incident.

But I am personally glad this is happening.

Why did this man kill himself? I KNOW WHY.

Because he would rather be dead than live in this piece of crap world.

And people wonder why I am the way I am. This story is why.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Obviously, the incorrect party was the one who felt it necessary to intervene.

Just as obvious, is that this party is/was no one's friend... and probably still thinks they did the "right" thing.

Simple mindedness and political correctness are synonymous.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

I am sorry but if the man offed himself over one suspension, that is pretty stupid. He had a lot more problems going on then.

And to also stereotype the whole world because one story, is also skewed.

I had a friend who just won a case because she was a teachers aid and a teacher who didn't like her called her the n word, and fired her.

All this friend wanted was the person gone and her job back.

Guess what, racism is still as rampant as political correctness.

[edit on 12-4-2010 by nixie_nox]

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

My first thought was "surely the man had to be mentally unstable to kill himself over a suspension." I have a feeling there was a little more at work here. Hell, I'm getting fired in August and damn it, I WANT TO LIVE!!!!!!!

+4 more 
posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox

And to also stereotype the whole world because one story, is also skewed.

No it's not.

Look at how heartless you are.

You just called a man who killed himself stupid. (Do you always make fun of dead bodies?)

I can barely stand living on Earth with you folks....and I have a very high tolerance level for this crap.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by angrymomma

My first thought was "surely the man had to be mentally unstable to kill himself over a suspension." I have a feeling there was a little more at work here. Hell, I'm getting fired in August and damn it, I WANT TO LIVE!!!!!!!

No, you have to be mentally unstable to WANT to LIVE on this wretched planet with double crossing back stabbers known as humans.

YOU CANT EVEN MAKE A JOKE ANYMORE!

There is nothing left to live for if you cannot make jokes.

The Doc did the right thing.

Oh Free Speech, how little we knew ye!

+4 more 
posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   

The coment was quite mild and offended nobody.

The man lost his job over it. To lose your job as a 61-year-old in this economy may very well trigger suicide. To say he had "a lot more going on" is correct. He had a family, friends, a job, and a life, all of which were threatened after a mild joke. A third party snooping on a private conversation, plus an hysterical corporate policy, ruined his entire career and his whole life.

And now he's dead. A real, flesh-and-blood man is dead. A real human, with family and friends. Friends including the man who the joke was made in reference to, who is himself "shattered" by the event.

How can you possibly condone the level of politically correct hysteria which would even make a tragedy like this possible?

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   

I am sorry but if the man offed himself over one suspension, that is pretty stupid. He had a lot more problems going on then.

Yeah I have to agree... that was pretty dumb. You gotta think there was something else going on and maybe this just set him off because that's just a piss poor reason to kill yourself.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZombieOctopus

Yeah I have to agree... that was pretty dumb. You gotta think there was something else going on and maybe this just set him off because that's just a piss poor reason to kill yourself.

This is the problem.

The smart people off themselves.

While all the idiots sit around and say "thats pretty dumb".

I just wish it was the other way around.

And smart folks like the guy in the OP lived, while all these lunatics were the ones to off themselves instead.

Earth would be way cooler of a place to hang out if that were the case!

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   

I agree it is ridiculous, this nanny state we live in, but to kill yourself over a job suspension? No one who up and kills themselves over something like that is mentally stable. Now, if he held your views maybe the suspension was what broke the camel's back but that leads us back to "there had to be more than a suspension in the mix."

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   

If you lose your job at age 61 and your reason for losing it involves racial discrimination, you probably won't get another job. Ever. This is no laughing matter. The man could have been facing homelessness, for example, and in his old age. He was facing dishonor and the ruin of a good career built after many years. I don't condone suicide at all, but be careful before you dismiss his possible reasons for deep depression so easily. Something like this could certianly pitch one over into suicidal depression.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Why are you so pro-suicide dude lol

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I'm bothered by this story.

But not surprised.

And I'm bothered that I'm not surprised.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by angrymomma

You have a lot more to live for, and a lot more possibilities for the foreseeable future, I'd say.

This man was 61 years old, worked in a niche industry, and surely could not see anything possible in his own future.

He had no one to blame, just having fun, and, excuse the expression, it blew up in his face. His employer had no choice, even if his friend did intervene for him.

BTW, I'm not picking your reply out of here for anything but example of the desperation he must have felt as he looked at his own future, and how it contrasts with those of us with children, or other reasons which would make this unthinkable.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 08:34 PM
link   
There must have been underlying issues for this guy to shoot himself over that. Possibly depression or going through tought times I could imagine.

I had a similar situation happen to me once, when I was training for this job. I was making small talk with a freind and co worker of mine, and someone (a lecturer who is an a-hole) thionks he overheard me make lude sexual advances to her. This is strange for 2 reasons

1. I never said anything of a sexual nature to her

2. She never heard me say anything of sexual nature to her

She was asked if she wanted to put in a complaint about me, which she refused as she had no idea what this guy was talking about, lol

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

He was only suspended. I think the man had more problems than just his work.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

This is the problem.

The smart people off themselves.

While all the idiots sit around and say "thats pretty dumb".

I just wish it was the other way around.

And smart folks like the guy in the OP lived, while all these lunatics were the ones to off themselves instead.

Earth would be way cooler of a place to hang out if that were the case!

Smart people Don't Make "Jokes" Using Unprofessional Language In Professional Settings!

That's called Maturtity.

That's part of being an Adult!

Yes, this incident had a tragic outcome, but are we to excuse boorish behavior just because those of us whose social intellect stopped developing sometime before puberty think being called to task for their uncivilized behavior is "Uncool"?

link   
The man worked at that company for 30 years, almost half of his life. I can't even imagine what that loss was like. Hopefully the PC twit who turned him in for joking with a friend feels some guilt.

link   
reply to post by Dogdish

This man did have children, although they were adults. He had a wife and a hobby. A man with a family has something to live for, I believe. I still stand firm in my belief it was more than just the suspension.

And yes, the company had no choice because of the politically correct nanny state we live in today. I can see a suspension for some hate fueled remark filled with ill intent but not from a joke.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join