It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man kills himself after being reported for joke

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Yeah.

Of course most people do NOT UNDERSTAND SUICIDE.

Because most people have no HONOR or DIGNITY.

HONOR and DIGNITY are requirements for SUICIDE.

Go live in Japan a few years, then you might start understanding.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by InvisibleAlbatross

He was "only suspended", pending an "investigation" while they decide if they can manage the risk of having an employee sue for creating an unfriendly workplace environment.

Given the risk, what do you think the employer would do?

Remember that this employee is probably one of the higher paid, due to his probable years of service.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Dogdish

Why not wait to see what would happen? I feel really horrible for this guy, but he may have received no further punishment at all.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   
You don't get it.

Further punishment?

Just the CLAIM you said something wrong, makes it TRUE in today's messed up psychotic society.

It's just like falsely accusing a person of child molestation. Even if its FALSE!

It still RUINS THEIR LIFE permanently! And Their reputation is obliterated forever!

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

I agree. However he really should have been more careful, although the person who reported him was a fool. And killing himself was the wrong move; now people will think he really did something horrible. Sad story all around. It's ridiculous that his friend's word was not accepted in his defense

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Okay let me explain, to those who think this is unlikely etc, must be something else going on.

Not at all.

He was there for 30 years his whole identity, status, ego and social circle was wrapped up in that job.

He would be proud after so long doing it, very comfortable and felt soo safe and secure that the thought of being fired after 30 would not have even crossed his mind for the past 10 odd.

He was accused and blamed and punished for something he did not do (be rascist as a personal joke) creating more internal anguish, confusion.

Shame.

Fear.

Loss of locus of Control.

Such a long relationship and job role routine, when taken like that, as he would of been asked to leave if suspended probably the same day, is similar in its attachment affects on someone as the death of a partner or friend. I mean who is married more that 30 yrs these days. It was almost grief mourning for him.

At home suspended, worst fears go through his mind, projecting them into fantasies of the future. Thought he would be sacked, so let me explain what that means in the UK for a 61 yr old:

NO STATE BENEFIT if you get fired or resign from your job. NO money as you has acted in ways that is deemed as putting yourself in that position. It is your fault. They will not give you any money for a 6 months "Sanction" period.

In addition to that who is ever going to employ a 61 yr old who was fired for racism as that would show up?

4 yrs left to retirement, his pension would be screwed, unable to meet current financial commitments, loans, any mortgage etc.

I doubt if married he even told his wife.

This is tragic, and what has someone walking by got to do with it, if the person he said it to was offended it is up to them to make the complaint.

This is the same everywhere now in the UK CCTV everywhere, "Whiteboards" not "Blackboards" cant do or say anything in work as people spy on you like in Nazi Germany.

My heart goes out to his family, and his friend, who also probably feels guilt though he shouldn’t, this is like reverse racism, his friend probably feels guilty for his heritage as he will think it was the cause of his friends death.

PC the world of spying, lies, non authenticity and reverse control, police themselves with fear, do and act like robots, have no conversations just work.

Kind Regards,

Elf

[edit on 12-4-2010 by MischeviousElf]

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by InvisibleAlbatross

I agree. However he really should have been more careful, although the person who reported him was a fool. And killing himself was the wrong move; now people will think he really did something horrible. Sad story all around. It's ridiculous that his friend's word was not accepted in his defense

I think to a large degree most people do not understand the plight of the hyper intelligent. A person who is highly intelligent is more likely to be lonely, more likely to be an introvert and far more likely to kill themselves than an average person. Why is this you might ask, simply because talking to the average person is like talking to a very slow child.

It may be that this person felt comfortable enough with his co-worker to make an edgy joke. It may have taken years for this person to feel that comfortable. Then through an idiot third party co-worker, this persons life is completely at risk. Now if you don't understand how much pressure there is on a hyper intelligent person when dealing with average people, dare I say you might be average?

This is not to insult anyone, simply to outline that each persons life has hurdles unto themselves. If this person were hyper intelligent, as are some members of ATS, then each new day brought its own unique perils. Perhaps there is something to say about people being a little less concerned about PC and a little more concerned about minding their own business. If the co-worker who was being joked about was really that damaged, it would have been his option to report the slight.

..Ex

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   
This PC crap is really getting on my nerves. The future is going to be inhabited by Woosy's.

and usually its not about offending anyone at all. It's about these bored lonely people who have no lives and seek to create drama in the only place they can ( the workplace).

Unless something is said directly to, or about you, you should have no right to complain about it. Grown adults with healthy minds don't let such things get to them, .... and they sure as hell dont go running to the boss about it. They handle it themselves, ..... like real, healthy people do.

When did everyone turn into a little tattle tale ?? are their social skills so inept that they have to run behind people and report things to the boss ??
...... and these people are changing corporate policy's !!. It's ridiculous !

We should not be forced to work around the social and emotionaly handicaped who spend to much time watching " desperate housewives".

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   

You should of asked the heartless peoples who are fond to churp which side of the pond they was from europe or uSA, and there respective ages ,
I,ve noticed a trend on ats with remarks where there is no compassion whatsoever just total lack of human emotions. . i noticed it in a homeless thread .

they are sick, its either age related or the pond scenario

lawyers are creating hell on earth my new motto

Just think what the american law system money chaseing graduates , the way them lawyers have made a normal society of people change.
frieghtend to say or do just in case its slander or antisocial or raceist, even if they spend half the day winding each other up to releave the boredom then a doo gooder walks and hears lets get doo gooders not christians or muslims they are seeding the discontent and spreading egg shells.

[edit on 4/12/2010 by dashar]

[edit on 4/12/2010 by dashar]

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by v3_exceed

I think to a large degree most people do not understand the plight of the hyper intelligent.

Are you therefore proposing you do?

A person who is highly intelligent is more likely to be lonely, more likely to be an introvert and far more likely to kill themselves than an average person.

Stats on that would be nice.

Why is this you might ask, simply because talking to the average person is like talking to a very slow child.

Why you have to look down when talking to them?

Is that as they are not as tall?

And their legs are shorter so you have to walk slower so they can keep pace?

When was the last time you met an Average person anyhow?

I never have?

It's just as far as my limited understanding goes a quantifiable mean drawn from lots of figures. As such an average person never really exists; it’s an approximation of the mean in a data set.

Also isn’t your statement in itself just as bad as racism per se, it certainly to me seems to be bordering on an Ism.

It may be that this person felt comfortable enough with his co-worker to make an edgy joke. It may have taken years for this person to feel that comfortable.

If it's edgy or not depends entirely on the relationship between the joke teller and the recipient. I have broad cultural friends, and infact yesterday as helping one landscape his garden after he got frustrated at this fence and externalised that anger on me on one of my physical attributes I did the same back on his colour, we both nearly had tears in our eyes from the laughter.

I mention this as usually banter is two ways between friends, and maybe the friend often took the Mickey about his lack of hair or something similar, you are just fantasising nothing you say we can know unless we observed these individuals, or were part of their social circle.

Interestingly enough, many with illusions of grandeur have very active projections of a fantasy life, and story telling.

Then through an idiot third party co-worker,

Maybe the third party co-worker was Hyper intelligent?
It would fit in more with your ideas as then he would be lonely and jealous of the friendship, and try and destroy what he is jealous of?

this person’s life is completely at risk. Now if you don't understand how much pressure there is on a hyper intelligent person when dealing with average people, dare I say you might be average?

Well as I have shown if he is in fact average, he is therefore very very very special in the world, because he would be the first ever.

There is an have always been hyper intelligent people, and also in addition people suffering from delusions of grandeur

This is not to insult anyone,

When I tried to get all the tomato sauce back in the squezee bottle earlier after a while I realised it was too late, and just let it be. It was already done as such on the plate.

simply to outline that each persons life has hurdles unto themselves.

Now that is very true.

If this person were hyper intelligent, as are some members of ATS, then each new day brought its own unique perils.

I know a few extremely intelligent people, they certainly don’t regard each day as having "perils" but on the whole "opportunities"

Perhaps there is something to say about people being a little less concerned about PC and a little more concerned about minding their own business. If the co-worker who was being joked about was really that damaged, it would have been his option to report the slight.

..Ex

Indeed.

Kind Regards,

Elf

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bhadhidar
Yes, this incident had a tragic outcome, but are we to excuse boorish behavior just because those of us whose social intellect stopped developing sometime before puberty think being called to task for their uncivilized behavior is "Uncool"?

So, just to be clear: You would agree that the fact of this human being's death is less significant than the vital, urgant task of stringantly policing every private conversation that happens to go on in the work place, including jokes between two friends, neither of whom is offended by said joke despite its questionable taste.

I just want to be clear that I understand you, because this is what it sounds like you are saying to me. That language is more important than life.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder

I just want to be clear that I understand you, because this is what it sounds like you are saying to me. That language is more important than life.

That is what he said. Exactly.

That is what the problem is. That people are so happy to destroy someone else for their own personal satisfaction.

And it almost seems to me, that the guy who RATTED out the Dead Doc, probably just got promoted to his position.

That is exactly how corporations work. The meek are relegated to crappy bottom feeder positions, while the bloodthirsty vindictive and heartless, easily and quickly rise to the top with their throat cutting tactics.

This is why I have no problem exposing their heartlessness , with my scathing fiery commentaries on their hypocrisies.

[edit on 12-4-2010 by muzzleflash]

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   
What goes around comes around. That fool that started all of this will get what is due them. I hope the guilt eats them alive. I hope the other workers find out who they are and turn on them and make them lose there job or quit.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by MischeviousElf

Originally posted by v3_exceed

Stats on that would be nice.

Why is this you might ask, simply because talking to the average person is like talking to a very slow child.

Why you have to look down when talking to them?

Is that as they are not as tall?
And their legs are shorter so you have to walk slower so they can keep pace?
When was the last time you met an Average person anyhow?
I never have?

It's just as far as my limited understanding goes a quantifiable mean drawn from lots of figures. As such an average person never really exists; it’s an approximation of the mean in a data set.

Also isn’t your statement in itself just as bad as racism per se, it certainly to me seems to be bordering on an Ism.

..Ex

Indeed.
Kind Regards,
Elf

As expected someone takes this personally. Which in itself makes a statement. I'll be brief because my patience is thin and I suspect your baiting is only for the sake of argument without substance.

Stats for the suicides and other issues of high IQ people are freely available. If this is coming as something new for you, then perhaps the topic has never been an issue for you and you require further research if you are so inclined.

I have met many an average man and it appears I have again. The fact that you find such potential of greatness in your fellow man is either a lack of experience on your part, or a statement of your youth. Regardless, this will pass in time.

My statement, "I think to a large degree most people do not understand the plight of the hyper intelligent." Is simply based on observation. I don't profess to be more than I am, but I am aware of what and who I am. The fact that you feel the need to even mention a parallelism to racism is truly grasping at straws. The point of the thread is that a person killed themselves after an event that should have simply passed unnoticed.

It is just as likely that the person who reported the event, coveted the job of the researcher. Over, that he was so jealous of the friendship he saw, that he felt he would never personally have, so he had to report the indiscretion. In any case we will never really know.

It is interesting that your position has been to take issue with me over your bruised ego rather than contribute to the thread. So if you choose to put yourself into the realm of the average man, then that is your choice. I wish you well as you celebrate the mediocrity of the average man.

..Ex

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 10:50 PM
link   
I've got two examples that directly relate to this.

Before I went back to school I was working in your typical corporate warehouse doing mindlessly repetitive work. One of the few joys I had was to come home and play with my two purebred siamese cats.

1. I got both my cats within a couple of months of each other. Having owned cats all my life (and always siamese) I'm used to how they play and I let them play rough. Add to that the fact that kittens have razor sharp, fine little claws and things can quickly get messy.

I wore a short sleeved shirt to work one casual day. Before my first break I got called into a closed door meeting with my manager and the HR person: one of my co-workers had seen the cuts on my arms and reported me as suicidal to a manager (in their defence, there had recently been a lot of focus on EMO kids in the local newspaper).

It took me almost an hour to get it through their heads that I didn't need time off or a consult. I had two kittens, period.

Company policy: in order to cover everyone's asses, I got a note in my file about having a meeting regarding "Personal difficulties" where I had refused to see a "Professional" or take a leave of absence.

2. I was talking to a co-worker one day about how I'd bought a laser pointer as a toy and the cats losing their little minds over it. This person and I discussed how important it was to spend time playing with a real toy for a while as well since the cats can never catch the laser dot.

Just prior to my last break the same co-worker asked what my plans were for the evening to which I responded "I'm just gonna go home and torture the cats a bit." When I came back from my break a manager was waiting for me; a complaint had been lodged about my cruelty to animals. Luckily for me there was a second manager called to sit in on the meeting whom I was friends with, as soon as the meeting started she interupted in my defense.

I still got a complaint in my file though, again, company policy.

So, according to my work file, I am a suicidal man who relaxes by torturing animals...all because two employees couldn't talk to me directly.

Nanny state?

No.

Open concept psychiatric ward.

[edit on 13-4-2010 by [davinci]]

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by [davinci]

They really think you would be so dumb as to admit torturing animals?

No offense but I laughed at your post, just because of the sheer absurdity of those people that reported you.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by [davinci]
I've got two examples that directly relate to this.
I still got a complaint in my file though, again, company policy.
So I am a suicidal man who relaxes by torturing anilmals according to my work file...all because two employees couldn't talk to me directly.
Nanny state?
No.
Open concept psychiatric ward.

Excellent example of the perils of an overly PC liberal society. The inability of the co-workers to actually understand that not each instance is of the very worst nature and their ability to follow blindly the pointers on the news is again more proof that somewhere along the line common sense became a super power.

..Ex

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by InvisibleAlbatross

reply to post by v3_exceed

A life long friend and I talk about this stuff all the time. He has a very negative outlook for our species while I still see some hope.

Either way we are on a very dark path. Disturbingly, very few people can see where this type of mentality will lead.

[edit on 12-4-2010 by [davinci]]

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by [davinci]
So, according to my work file, I am a suicidal man who relaxes by torturing animals...all because two employees couldn't talk to me directly.

Sad part is - if you ever put that place down as a reference for another job, those two items in your file will almost certainly be mentioned if anyone calls to check out what kind of a worker you were.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by vox2442

Absolutely

It's been a couple years so no one will remember what the actual event was, assuming any of them are left now (hard times hit about a year after I left).

All they have to go on is what's in the file.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join