It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gay TV for kids!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Will & Grace has been on for years, one of my favorite shows, it hasn't harmed my kids at all. In fact they point out that it's on if I'm busy at the time.

Exactely, it simply creates a more passive view towards people who are gay. However this is hardly childrens television is it?

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Stereotypes suck, and thats all there is too it, because STEREOTYPES ARE BULL#, especially in the world we have to live in.

How many kids have to grow up in NON stereotypical families?

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by earthtone
It is these stereotypes that create fear and hatred.

Hasn't created fear and hatred with me, most people don't "fear" or "hate" them. So your wrong there

[Edited on 4-6-2004 by infinite]

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I feel no fear of having homosexual programs on tv. I, unlike many other parents now, will teach my children what a proper family is, as far as I am concerned.

The modern family is a hodgepodge of halfs and step links, and often not any familial links besides sperm donation by the father who is off to do more damage to our instant gratification no limits do whatever makes you happy and responcibility be damned society.

I believe that proper parenting can countermand any influence there is out there because as a parent, you are the first and most concentrated influence in a childs life.

Like I said, my kids would not be watching any kind of show with homosexuals in it, at least not before they are 5. That is rediculous.

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Speaking about gay people, I was at the library yesterday, right, then I was looking in the travel section and I found this book called Gay USA. It was THE funniest book ever. Even though it was completely serious. It was like

In this tiny town in Nebraska you can find many big surprises. The Duffle Bar Inn is decorated with stylish footwear. And it is the queerest place you can stay at. Make sure you tip your waiter and you'll get an extra big reward from him.,...

Ah funny,
Anywho, its the viewers chice in the end to decide to watch or not watch it. Frankly I cxould care less about kids shows.

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 03:51 PM
link   
wow thats crazy. hey if you cnt do that kinda stuff with religion why do gays get off the hook?

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyIvan
wow thats crazy. hey if you cnt do that kinda stuff with religion why do gays get off the hook?

Ah why don't ye get off your own hook you seem to be stuck on .

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 05:42 PM
link   
This is amazing, and a well deserved step towards nurturing our children to understand that homosexuality is normal, common and nothing to be feared in society.

Homophobia is a purly conventional and social bug, and like most diseases, the best prevention is always education.

Hats off to more gay rights.

Deep

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 05:46 PM
link   
You are not obligated to watch these shows, you have the moral choice of turning the television off.

There are no sexual conotations in these shows, simply educating our young that same sex parents are normal, and can raise children just as good as the next hetrosexual couple.

Deep

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Also, children raised by same sex couples can/do go on to live productive normal lives.

ur.rutgers.edu...

� Children raised by gay and lesbian parents display no significant differences compared to children raised by heterosexual parents in terms of emotional health and intellectual functioning.
� Being raised by homosexual parents does not increase the risk of gender identity problems.
� Homosexual parents are not deficient in parenting knowledge or skills.
� There is no link between homosexuality and child abuse.

I can and will find more links, seem to have misplaced them.

Deep

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 02:53 AM
link   
Thanks for you opinions ZeroDeep, I agree with them all.

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Yes, lets teach children thats its ok to fancy little billy from around the block
great idea

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
Yes, lets teach children thats its ok to fancy little billy from around the block
great idea

Well, maybe if we did...there'd be a lot less gay teenage suicide. It's people like you that make gay kids feel that they are not normal, are inferior, and live in fear of being outed. I take pity on these little kids. If you people are really worried about kids...what about these kids that society says you are not worthy of a normal life?

Can any of you hetros say what it's like to grow up knowing your gay? No. Well, I do. It's frocking scary as hell. Don't you think gay people would rather be in the norm? Going off base here but I'm so sick of heterosexuals claiming to know so much about gay people when they don't have a clue what it's like.

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by MacMerdin
It's people like you that make gay kids feel that they are not normal

Yes its people like me, even though you don't know me, feel free to blame me
hell, why not blame unemployement on me too,the war on iraq and ever other problem in the world. Im not the only person who feels this way, did i say being gay was wrong? no i didn't. I've only said that Gay TV for kids is wrong. Im a catholic so of course my religion plays a big part in how i think, to be honest i don't #in care what people do in their own homes, just don't infulence them people in society.

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Gay people aren't "trained" or "programmed" to be gay, they just are. I don't see the problem. Same with us hetro's, we just are.

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 03:32 PM
link   
If you grow up to be gay, then thats not a problem. I even have a good friend who is gay. But when it comes down to children, i think that it would save a lot of confusion and questions if they were taught that mummy and daddy make a happy family. If you show kids that bobby likes billy then they will feel confused and won't understand it,they may even find it hard to see what bobby and billy become this way.

[Edited on 5-6-2004 by infinite]

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 03:40 PM
link   
It can only turn out that way if that is the view you portray to your kids. I've had this happen, "Daddy, what's a homosexual?" "It's a man that likes men." "Why?" "Just because they do." Kids already have the idea of a man/woman relationship. Honesty in this will only ensure that intollerance won't be a part of your kids make-up. Hell, maybe they will even stand up for the gay kid that's having trouble because some kids are raised in ignorance.

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Well for the last 30 years (or more?) Play School has shown kids with Mums and Dads, (or in the old days often just Mums as the dads were at work when they kids went to the park/zoo/etc) as stay-at-home Dads became more accepted, this was sometimes shown. I don't think 1 gay couple in 30 years is really indoctrinating our kids. Its probably a lot more to do with the idea that any kids who do have gay parents are more readily accepted by children who have been exposed to this.

Plus its not like the whole show was about gay parents, the show is filmed in a TV set where presenters sing, play with toys, make boxes into cars, and all the old kids-tv stuff. Theres like a 5minute bit where they look out 'through the windows' and see stuff going on outside.

(For anyone who has seen the show, John is still the best
)

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Some years ago Play School (the very same show) was filled with smutty innuendo and references that would never be picked up on by the children participating or watching, or so you would think.

From reading this thread it seems the producers have cleaned up their act somewhat.

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by earthtone

Originally posted by intrepid
Will & Grace has been on for years, one of my favorite shows, it hasn't harmed my kids at all. In fact they point out that it's on if I'm busy at the time.

Exactely, it simply creates a more passive view towards people who are gay. However this is hardly childrens television is it?

I agree with earthtone. Shows with homosexual characters should definatly be produced. However, Will & Grace has always had homosexual characters. So, if a parent doesnt want their child to be exposed, they just have to make sure that they dont watch Will and Grace.

In the case of Play School though, these parents have watched it for awhile and figured it was an appropriate program for thier children. Then one day, it shows a lesbian couple. There was no time for them to prepare themselves to sheild their children's eyes, if ignorance is what they wanted for them until they got older.

I think such children shows need to have warnings at the beginning, to give parents at least a chance to do something about what their kids are watching.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join