It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Afghan fury after Nato troops open fire on bus full of civilians, killing five people

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Afghan fury after Nato troops open fire on bus full of civilians, killing five people

www.dailymail.co.uk

International troops opened fire on a bus carrying Afghan civilians today, killing four people and setting off anti-American protests by furious locals.

Witnesses said the bus, which was travelling in Kandahar province's Zhari district, had pulled over to allow an American convoy to pass when gunfire broke out.

The shooting left another 18 people wounded, 12 of whom were taken to a military hospital.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.google.com

www.nytimes.com...

Edit: Update: confirmation about U.S troops see nytimes article

[edit on 12-4-2010 by Chevalerous]

Copy the Exact Headline: BAN Guidelines: Review this Link

[edit on 4/12/2010 by semperfortis]

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Well here's another incident with civilians involved.

Nato said it was investigating the incident and would not reveal the nationality of the troops involved

This was really bad timing for this incident since Nato are now seeking the local support for an offensive in the area against the Talibans in Kandahar.

Angry locals are now burning tires and are shouting anti-American slogans in a protest rally.

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

UPDATE!

U.S. Troops Fire on Bus in Afghanistan, Killing Civilians

By RICHARD A. OPPEL Jr. and TAIMOOR SHAH
Published: April 12, 2010

KABUL, Afghanistan — American troops raked a large passenger bus with gunfire near the southern city of Kandahar on Monday morning, killing as many as five civilians and wounding 18, Afghan authorities and survivors said.

The attack infuriated Kandahar leaders and could harm public opinion before perhaps the most important offensive of the war, a campaign that is intended to take control of the Kandahar region from the Taliban this summer.

Hundreds of demonstrators gathered around a bus station on the western outskirts of Kandahar, shouting anti-American chants and blocking the road for an hour, according to people in the area.

The American military confirmed the shooting but there were disputes over details, including whether the troops who fired on the bus had first shot flares and warned the driver to stay back.

One of the bus passengers and a man who identified himself as the driver said that an American convoy about 70 yards ahead of the bus opened fire as the bus began to pull to the side of the road to allow another military convoy traveling behind to pass.

Troops opened fire on the bus just after daybreak as it was taking dozens of passengers to Nimruz Province, said Zalmy Ayoubi, a spokesman for the Kandahar provincial governor.

Some of the wounded were in critical condition, and the death toll could rise, local officials said.

Mr. Ayoubi said five civilians had been killed, including one woman

www.nytimes.com...

Edit: Update and changed headline to U.S Nato troops after confirmation

Copy the exact headline

[edit on 4/12/2010 by semperfortis]

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Afghan official says NATO gunfire kills 4 on bus

www.google.com...

Passenger Rozi Mohammad, who was interviewed at hospital, said the bus had just left the Kandahar terminal when it pulled over to allow the convoy to take over.

Shooting broke out as the third or fourth American vehicle went by, he said, with gunfire coming from the direction of the convoy.

'They just suddenly opened fire, I don't know why. We had been stopped and after that I don't know what happened,' he said.

Within hours, scores of Afghans had blocked the main highway out of Kandahar city with burning tires, chanting 'Death to America,' and calling for the downfall of Afghan President Hamid Karzai, himself a Kandahar native.

'The Americans are constantly killing our civilians and the government is not demanding an explanation,' said resident Mohammad Razaq.

'We demand justice from the Karzai government and the punishment of those soldiers responsible.'

The shooting came as two suicide bombers attacked an Afghan intelligence services compound in Kandahar, which is the largest city in southern Afghanistan.

Afghan forces shot and wounded one of the attackers, who then detonated his explosives belt.

The second bomber was also killed, although it wasn't clear if he too had blown himself up.

Two intelligence agents and a teacher at a nearby school were injured in the attack, according to Ahmed Wali Karzai, the head of Kandahar's provincial council.

Kandahar was the seat of the Taliban regime ousted in 2001 and insurgents remain active there despite a heavy presence of foreign forces.

Nato is gearing up for long-anticipated allied operation to push the Taliban out of Kandahar, from which the hardline Islamic movement emerged as a political and military force in the 1990s.

Securing it is key to the U.S. military and Nato's aim of turning around the war, but anger stirred by civilian deaths could undercut local support.

Securing it is key to the U.S. military and Nato's aim of turning around the war, but anger stirred by civilian deaths could undercut local support.

The top Nato commander in Afghanistan, U.S. Gen. Stanley McChrystal, has issued strict orders to his troops to try to reduce civilian casualties.

Kandahar spokesman Ayubi said the provincial government strongly condemned the shooting.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

www.dailymail.co.uk...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/98ba5060fc9b.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ad063ebe1880.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c0831b243461.jpg[/atsimg]

(Photos - 'Fair Use Doctrine' for educational & discussion purpose)

The Nato troops must certainly have felt very threatened by something for opening fire against a civilian bus, right?

After the latest scandals, the troops have strict orders to not engage unless it's absolutely necessary and needed. So they wouldn't provoke the locals and give them 'water on their mills' by shooting a civilian bus just for fun I reckon, or would they?

I can imagine that strictly orders was given to the troops to avoid these kind of headlines - so this incident & threat must have been a rightful one to engage - otherwise it would end up in a public relation disaster for the whole war effort in Afghanistan.

I'm waiting for any updates regarding this.

Nato troops open fire on bus, kill five civilians

KANDAHAR, Afghanistan -- NATO troops opened fire on bus carrying civilians before dawn on Monday morning, killing at least four people and wounding more than a dozen others. NATO said in a news release that four people were killed, including one female. An injured passenger and the bus driver told Canwest News Service the U.S. military was responsible for the shooting, and claimed five people died.

Read more: www.nationalpost.com...

www.nationalpost.com...

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   
What is the betting that the troops are U.S?

[edit on 12-4-2010 by GW8UK]

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Its sad how afgan has become the land of no laws.....

If this had to happen in the USA or UK it would be all out war, talk about taking advantage of a poor country...

[edit on 12-4-2010 by bluedrake]

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by GW8UK

I would say there's a pretty good chance they were US. No offence to any Americans here but your troops do seem to be a bit trigger happy.

The locals have already decided that it was the Americans involved in the shooting. Even if the shooters turn out to be another nationality, I think anti-American protests would continue. Sorry, America. You're not very popular.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by System
I think anti-American protests would continue. Sorry, America. You're not very popular.

Not suprised, They are occupying a country they're not welcome in. They're killing innocent civillians. They protect the oil and the drugs...
No wonder they arent liked. I have no idea why people join the army, They must have been brainwashed into thinking their doing the right thing.... Crazy times

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by GW8UK

Yes! this is unfortunately my bet also, but we have to wait and see some kind of confirmation on this.

Eyewitnesses are saying that one convoy of American vehicle went by and the last vehicle opened fire or that gunfire came from that direction.

So technically it could have been hidden 'Talibans' in ambush for the convoy that opened fire against the bus by mistake or by poor shooting perhaps?

Let's see what kind of explaination or spin this event will take.

I just saw that NY-Times is covering the story

www.nytimes.com...

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Chevalerous

Well NY-Times seem to confirm that U.S troops were behind the shooting

U.S. Troops Fire on Bus in Afghanistan, Killing Civilians

KABUL, Afghanistan — American troops raked a large passenger bus with gunfire near the southern city of Kandahar on Monday morning, killing as many as five civilians and wounding 18, Afghan authorities and survivors said.
---
The American military confirmed the shooting but there were disputes over details, including whether the troops who fired on the bus had first shot flares and warned the driver to stay back.

www.nytimes.com...

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Chevalerous

What did i tell you??

Seriously though.. Nothing even needs to be said. Everyone should KNOW whats wrong here

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 10:15 AM
link   
This is just another step in the inevitable. Now, Karzai will demand that the US leave the country, and they will, because the troops are needed for the clusterf**k to come in Iran.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   
The Taliban was bad, but as least they didn't fire on buses of innocent people just getting out of the way!

In such a hard-lined region, the troops should be doing everything they can to win the hearts of the people. Instead they are pushing them back towards supporting the Taliban just to get the occupiers out of their country.

It's so obvious that attacks on civilians like this are meant to continue the friction and continue the war for as long as possible.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   
So where's the video?? Was no-one filming this? My guess is there is some video out there but if it is in the hands of the military, good luck getting a copy of it.

Have we reached the tipping point yet? When do people just get so disgusted by this war that the consensus turns to pulling the plug?

Personally, I think that should have been done long ago.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nammu
The Taliban was bad, but as least they didn't fire on buses of innocent people just getting out of the way!

I guess you forgot all about the suicide bombers, didn't you?

Yah, I thought so.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by TokiTheDestroyer

Firing on a bus of innocent people is terrorism in my book.

You can't say 'their way of killing innocents is worse than ours'.

When innocents die there is no justification!

Whoever did this is no better than the Taliban.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Wow.

The fact that this stuff keeps happening and America is still occupying these countries, is proof of how much control TPTB and the MSM have over the general American populace.

I don't know how these sick SOBs live with themselves. That's right America just keep sending your brainwashed young men to kill innocents and preserve your "freedom".

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by TokiTheDestroyer

HAHA that's great logic.

They kill innocent people, so why don't we start doing it to?

You're really that angry at the Afghan people? For what?

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Nammu

I never said one was better than the other. You basically stated that the Talaban never killed any innocents, which is clearly wrong.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nammu

Originally posted by TokiTheDestroyer
reply to post by Nammu

You basically stated that the Talaban never killed any innocents, which is clearly wrong.

You are quarrelling over petty things, like some Hollywood lawyers.

I think US presence in the area only makes things worse, looks counter-productive in the eyes of civilians.

[edit on 12/4/2010 by SassyCat]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join