It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

why do people believe in god?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Maddogkull

thank you thats very insightful

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by ashanu90

personally, i like the thread. i enjoy topics related to religion and ancient history and how people's minds work. but some mod is stuffing only some relgion based threads in bts, where they die of neglect. so i'm pointing to other threads on the topic of religion and asking, why they aren't suffering the same fate? i mean some of the threads are pro-relgion and some are not, but they're still being put in bts. it's weird.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

Put complaints in ATS issues thread?? They will probally get noticed quicker then they would on this thread.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Maddogkull

Maddog the religion you are on about isn't the same as the bible there so called bible is the word delivered by an angel which is said to be against god believe me or not i don't care

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   

god only needs you to prove his existence?

I never said anything like this banana boy. If you can't comprehend plain
english, then quit trying to have conversations. God dosn't try to prove
his existence, The Bible dosn't try to prove his existence and Christ didn't
try to prove Gods existence. Therefore why would I try to prove Gods existence?
It is obviously to obvious.

What would be my motivation? The Bible teaches that no one needs proof.
Therefore, you being the one with the motivation ,must prove he dosn't
exist.

[edit on 16-4-2010 by randyvs]

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs

I never said anything like this [edit on 16-4-2010 by randyvs]

liar!!!! i have it right here

It is true that God does not need anyone, let alone me, to prove His existence

or are you going to deny that too?
its clear to me that you suffer delusions of granduer
maybe you saw constantine too many times and began to believe you are keanu reeves
why dont you just put your arguement back to the garbage bin randys
stephen king doesnt feel the need for his books to be proven as fact neither does the book of mormon or the koran or the watchtower
so whats your point
that something doesnt feel the need to be proven so that means it is truth?
zealotry! dont let the this consume your life randys you can live a very happy normal life without this blind faith

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   
randyvs, i thought i stated it fairly concisely, evolution has no mind, no 'intent' unless it is being genetically engineered in some laboratory & even there the actual results may be somewhat not completely predictable. Arguably there may be some crude distributed mind of a portion of evolution distributed over a given cognisant species.

I notice people are treating the notion of 'God' as purely Christian.
I suppose 'God' implies a singular, therefore presumably a monotheistic religion, but there are many religions with many, even millions of Gods [Hinduism]. Islam & Judaism are other monotheistic religions/traditions.

So maybe to be more clear & conceptually articulate one has to differentiate between what exactly one is talking about.

Even science becomes a kind of 'belief system' making it somewhat subscribeable & quasi-religious.

I guess as an atheist i am most interested in the psychological/biological root of this fairly historic tendency of humans.

We need to dissect some brains obviously.

I wouldn't be surprised if we might find some kind of pre-cursor in animals, just as we find some form of laughter reflex apparent in many mammals.

Sort of like the Wolf might believe in some great 'Wolf' icon/ideal. Who knows, maybe there is a hologram woven into our DNA, but that does go quite far afield of provable facts.

We have to examine ourselves from above ourselves which is sort of tricky, a logic conundrum in fact. Although collectively if i look at you & you look at me, & we do so as cleanly & empirically as we can manage we could come up with some reasonable approximation once we have traded notes.

Again i repeat, why are we so 'territorial' about our religion. 'My' religion & not 'Yours'. That really does imply some pretty primitive roots to me.

[edit on 16-4-2010 by slank]

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 01:56 AM
link   
"belief in God is faith, belief about God is religion"

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 02:04 AM
link   
I think it's clear that most people believe in God because they were told to, as children.

They had no choice in the matter.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Did you bump you're head or something?
I never said this.

god only needs you to prove his existence?

I did say this.

It is true that God does not need anyone, let alone me, to prove His existence

Any one who checks the record can see you are the liar Pal.

Delusional would definetly be someone who dosn't see a difference in these two sentences. Right now you qualify.

dont let the this consume your life randys you can live a very happy normal life without this blind faith

Yeah You know what they say, "If it isn't broke, don't fix it".

Slank
I was just bust'in your chops for use of the term creates.

We need to dissect some brains obviously.

Yeah right! One second I'd be talk'in to you, try'in to play it off.
The next you'd be picking me up off the floor.

I could not be around that kind of research. Unless you like watching peoples eyes roll around in their sockets.

Someone should deftnetly check out OP though. Somethings go'in on up there.

In fact I prolly wouldn't last through my first sighting of one of those
skull saws. Ever see someone suddenly develope epilesy?

[edit on 17-4-2010 by randyvs]

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   

To supply answers to unanswerable questions. This is why I think most people believe in God.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

it means the same damn thing reandy you think your the only one who god needs to prove his existance.
delusional zealotry

ive seen many of your posts, you claim to believe in god but you yourself make no attempt to be christlike
your jesus would never have answered a single post in the manner you have
sarcasm, put downs, and over all character attacks
make you quite the hypocrite
therefore you will get no respect from me because you dont even practice what you preach

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   

They don't mean the same thing where I went to school.

therefore you will get no respect from me because you dont even practice what you preach

Geez, I'm all broken up about that.

Does this mean were not friends anymore. It's really because I
keep peeling your banana.

I don't recall preaching anything.

You didn't respect anything from the getgo that's why you get nonya.
I'll leave you alone from now on. I don't want make you cry.
That is if you can let it end right here.

Ruseth
What's up?
I like Albert Einstien quotes: Here's another.
" Two things I know to be infinite. The Universe and the stupidity of man.
I'm not sure about the universe."

[edit on 17-4-2010 by randyvs]

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

i figured you would have an uninsightful snooty remark like that

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by ashanu90
reply to post by randyvs

I figured you would have an uninsightful snooty remark like that

What you didn't figure on, was running into a person of faith, who dosn't
play nice.

I think your small time little theory, (evol) is the first thing anyone would dream up the instant they decided to wipe God from existence.
From our country, our society, our schools our hearts and our minds.
Why because it would be a lot harder to take this country away from people who have God on there side. Evolution is not the doctrine of some
genius.

You have been tricked partner. Now you and I are going to have to pay one way or another, because America is looking cancerous.
Funny we just kicked God completelly out not so long ago.
Now we are looking at the end of Our homes, and all that so many young men died trying to hold on to for us. How do you face that if it happens.
The youngsters that gave it all, for what?
While you continue to have a life that's cherry for you.

Mankind is just a magically morphing ape? People died for your right to
believe a bunch of crap. You decided that's what you would do.

That's what makes more sense to you? Why should you even have to consider the fact that you entered this world with the Bible as a part of it. Excuse me, but for you to think you can
dismiss it as invalid, in any way, is the most unconscienable thing I'm sure even you can imagine.

You think the water is shallow? Let me tell ya the river runs deep.

Well I have simply decided not to fall for it. Sorry about your luck but
you have made your choice pollywog. You turn your back snub your nose
at your creator. You desocrate his word in public. As if there is no such thing as carma. You know God told Adam and Eve, that they would die
if they ate from that tree. Your brain dosn't work when it's about the Bible though.

So there goes the derelict atheist skipp'in off. " ahuh huh! They didn't die
ahuh huh". See instead of looking for away to understand.
You are instead looking for away to make Gods word look foolish. Then
you get all bent at me when it backfires on you everytime. There
is your proof right there. If the
Bible wasn't everything God wanted it to be. At least one of your attempts
would succeed. Gods word is indestructible. Your endeavers against it
are nothing short of pathetic.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

ok randys ive tried to keep this thread as friendly as possible but you make it difficult with your blind zealotry and hypocritical values,
for one if you really believed in god you would not say the things you have said, because your god taught things as, love your enemy, turn the other cheek, treat others as you would like to be treated, you have done none of that, therefore you are some kind of crazy half christian, and you take everything i say or make a thread about in order to aussault my character, you have no purpose randys other than to try and humiliate, annoy, use words to hurt feelings, and be all around unpleasant and that puts you more in league with this "satan" character than your god.

as for the men who died in war, they died not for some god, but for the country, seeing that they were all brainwashed by the war machine, wats that you say? the army doesnt brainwash people? well have you ever had a relative return from the army or any other military service for that matter? they are ot the perason they once were are they?

the army breaks you down takes away most of your individuality if not all of it and makes you part of the "the service" thats the definition of brainwashing

those men fought for the army not god, alot of them however did keep their individuality because tehy were strong willed, but they fought to break down communism, stop fascism and to make this country ours, also to stop slavery but i hear theres more to that war than just slavery.

as for adam and eve? let me break it down for you randys
you have to telepathically let a cosmic jewish zombie know you will forever be his slave and that your sorry for a great evil within you because a rib woman ajnd dirt man were fooled into eating a magic fruit that a talking snake tricked them into doing.
do not insult my inteligence randys

we didnt magically evolved fom an ape you say? well take the magic out out and you got some truth

lets break that down a little more
apes and humans share a common ancestor that split offand became to different species, better for you? so no we didnt evolve from apes just apelike creatures, have you ever seen a monkey? tv or zoo or whatever? they look an awful lot like us dont they? similar hands, similar faces, similair anatomy in general, we are so similiar we can give each other organs and be fine just fine, conisidering that the person and the monkey have the same blood type.

the bible is absoloute fact you say? look around this thread there are plenty of christians here who will disagree with them your free to ask them why of course. religion in my opinion is a tool for mass control, a tool that you have unfortunetly been fooled into believeing hook line and sinker

the bible is a book like any other, written by men with mens words if god is so perferct then why have men wrote this bible?
do you really think that after so many years of this book being around it hasnt been changed around at all? ignorance randys, ignorance
heres that bannana

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

i bet you stole everything you said in that post from a website, you could at least have placed a bb code there

and another think i say magic doesnt exist and im bad for it but you go out and say karma doesnt exist? your a friggin hypocrite no wonder your foes list is so long

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
i once prayed so much for something when i was younger (i was really ill) and it actually worked, i haven't prayed ever since.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs

What you didn't figure on, was running into a person of faith, who dosn't
play nice.
I think your small time little theory, (evol) is the first thing anyone would dream up the instant they decided to wipe God from existence.
From our country, our society, our schools our hearts and our minds.
Why because it would be a lot harder to take this country away from people who have God on there side. Evolution is not the doctrine of some
genius.

You think the water is shallow? Let me tell ya the river runs deep.

4As if there is no such thing as carma.

1 a REAL person of faith would play nice seeing to it that playing nice is part f christianity
2evolution has hard evidence randys ask a scientist, hell ask some christians
3your river certainly doesnt run deep from the majority of your posts on ats you water is a dried up riverbed
4well now i know because of your sayso, i mean your SO knowledgeble. all hail the great and wise pharoh randys! he tottally disproved karma with sheer word power.
i dont think so randys
i never said i believed in karma i asked some of the "experts" on ats about it

do you even read half a post before you respond?

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   
people beleive in god for what they dont believe in truth

truth is positive absolute free life from absolute certainty move being a fact living

and this people cannot know since objectively all they see is time realistions that dont last and their mortal conditions taht cant be considered either certain or positive

so they go for any positive sense temporality, they would be the center then, since it cant be objective since objective dont exist

so by being the center of all positive sense they become ones conception loving to believe in one eternal living positive subject always source of ends to himself

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join