It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

why do people believe in god?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by ashanu90

I never used to believe in god but am starting to open my eyes to it being a very big possibility.

You want to know who created GOD well i don't think the students can know that as till they can prove themselves.

Now I take it you believe in evolution well i ask you and tell you this how can you go off something that doesn't add up even more. Fossils are dated to what type of earth layer they are found in and yet the earth layer is dated by what fossils are found in it how does that work.

Now before you say that's why they have carbon dating well do you know what you go through to get that done well first you to tell them where you found it how far down you found it what type of soil was around it nearly every inconceivable detail of the earth around it and that pretty much tells them to go to their charts and see what compares to it then they tell you they dated it.

There are lots of other things that carbon has gotten way wrong that if you regard that as a definate answer then you need to open your eyes.

Now with your other comment well they wouldn't have had the know how to preserve foods and all that back then. How many times have we been thrown back in our seat that we are astounded that they knew how to do something like some of the medical practices that they performed that is on this website. Do you know preserving meat is easy as covering it in salt and honey and covering it that isn't that hard no is it.

I suggest you really look into something before you just throw a half thought out idea out there now the contradictions I'm still waiting for you to tell me what they are in the bible.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
alright vkturbo
heres a few contradictions for you

12) God makes the animals (Genesis 2:18) and parades them before Adam to see if any would strike his fancy. But none seem to have what it takes to please him. After making the animals, God has Adam name them all. The naming of several million species must have kept Adam busy for a while, why Adam would still have to be living for we haven’t even discovered nor named all the species. Also consider the idea of every living creature being brought to the Middle East, that would have killed many animals due to climatic changes.

13) God curses the serpent, making him crawl on his belly and eat dust (Genesis 3:14). One wonders how he got around before -- by hopping on his tail, perhaps? But snakes don’t eat dust, do they?

14) “There were giants in the earth in those days.” Genesis 6:4 But there is no archaeological evidence for the existence of these giants. Also there is a reference to the “Nephilim” being on the earth. Which is a term used for half angel, half human. Why is there no archaeological evidence for the existence of the Nephilim either?

15) Noah is told to make an ark that is 450 feet long (Genesis 6:14-15). The largest wooden ships ever built were just over 300 feet, and they required diagonal iron strapping for support. Even so, they leaked so badly that they had to be pumped constantly. Are we to believe that Noah, with no shipbuilding knowledge and no shipbuilding tradition to rely upon, was able to construct a wooden ship that was longer than any that has been built since?

as for your comment of half thoughts? i have been brewing some of these thoughts for a while and have finnaly found a way to express them which would be ats

if you are offended by my question and opinions i apoligize but i stand by my statements

[edit on 12-4-2010 by ashanu90]

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I believe in God because I have seen many miracles that otherwise would not have happened logically. Like when you really need money and you pray for it and it just appears out of some source you would never even think of. I have seen things appear in places where they were not there before in answer to a prayer. One time I lost my diamond ring. I heard it drop on the floor in the supermarket and some employees and myself looked under every shelf, not to be found anywhere. After praying earnestly to God, he spoke to me and told me to look under my bed, and there it was, even though I had heard it drop in the store. I can tell you of 100 more such incidences. One time my aunt lost her ring and prayed and it just appeared on her shelf. She says it was not there before. Whenever I have a problem, he always helps me out when I pray.

I have also seen much evil and demon spirits. If there is evil, then there is ultimately good. Evil spirits have been after me all of my life and only God and his angels protect me. If it weren't for God, I would have been dead by now.

Also everything that God wrote in the Bible (Bible Prophesy) could not have been written or known by man alone. No one can tell the future especially 2,000 years in advance without God, the supreme being telling what would happen in the future. He knows because he orchestrates everything and even evil works for the good of the Lord. Everything that is happening now is what was predicted in the Bible. Jesus said just before I return there will be earthquakes in various places. Look around, it's happening folks! Other predictions include: chip implant, one world government, all the nations going against Isreal etc.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by prophecywatcher

i have a really difficult time believing any of that and earthquakes happen all the time

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Ok point taken about the naming of animals as i said only just started to believe but about the giants there is archealogical evidence of this there has been giants bones just look round for it not hard to find i think there was even something on coast to coast about it.

For the nephlim I am going out on a limb here but angel are said to have spread the word as well this is where catholic religion come from and jahova witness come from Islam was from a prophet.

Also if you really wanted to look at things more the English interpreted the King james edition and won all their wars then the Yanks got it and wrote the new testament from the King James edition I think it was and this is the north america who were losing the civil war but when the latest word of god was interpreted to what christianity follows they overcome the south.

Surely there has to be something there?

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Now Noah's ark they have been to the site they believe it lays to this day and has done for many years. They took samples out from it nails and wood there were things that have just really been started to be used again in our times. The wood was laminated so there were layers of wood glued together with an organic glue. Was this done by the ship builders you speak of?

Now the nails that were found in this wood were made up of titanium i think and aluminium you ask yeah and so well the thing is with these well they are both man made metals and thatr was how many years ago.

So what is it you believe in?

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Well we can never disprove god, we honestly can't. We can't also prove there is a god. So it is impossible to say. I personally agree with Roger Penrose as the universe is way more mysterious then we give it credit for. There are too many theory’s on both sides it is just mind boggling. I personally do not believe in a Christian god for the fact, that if "I" a so called "servant" of his can be more humble then the creator of the universe, what does that say of him? I personally believe in a universal vibration force. There is a book called "My Stroke of Insight" and it is about a brain scientist who has a stroke and she actually writes a book about her experiences and how she felt one with the universe and felt a universal consciousness, and how she could actually communicate with her cells. It is an amazing book. Of course it took her 20 years to make because it took that long for her to recover.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Oh and also forgot to say no you didn't offend i like to hear what people say as then i will ask the questions myself when i go to church next and see what answer they give me.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   

I will say one thing though the more i keep going into stories of the bible and the more stories i keep hearing of an ancient civilisation in south africa the more i keep thinking that the stories of the supposed Nibiru Annunaki and bible go hand in hand.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by peggy m

Peggy m Hi.

I think I like you. Thank you for writing your post

I believe you are right. I do have some arguments on some of it.

Religion is the first form of government law. The god idea is used to get results. Follow what has been discovered of the progression of religion and you will notice a pattern of social control. People are more willing to give in and be pacified if the idea of some super natural power will strike them down if they don't. Introduce arrogance and then you have a way to make people sacrifice to a select few. Humans are humans and greed does tend to make some people go a bit too far.

You are probably right on but I do not think religion was used as you say from the beginning.
I believe it is a natural thing. There is even a place in the brain which is especially active when God or spirituality is experienced.

The origin of religion lies IMO in the need to protect the individual but most of all the group he is part of , from outsiders. Wherever there are rules and rites to follow an impostor will soon be exposed. The means to control would follow it right up. But us humans have the tendency not to think of or use tools we are not familiar with.

We also need a cause for what we don't understand.
We are also stuck beneath moral and a little voice in our head that tells us.
You have been naughty today. Shame has lead to the emergence of a scape goat. Which is one frustrating idea. "The devil made me do it" .

Hiding our imperfections by saying we are supposed to be different does not work. Our imperfections are part of our biggest talents.

They have had a direct influence on the survival of the human race.

Take for example gluttony.
If some people did not practised this talent we would all be skinny and fit people. We would also be the first to die when famine strikes.
Simple as that.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now I'm wondering which of the options you will use for me.

I also really got curious about your own beliefs. Mind sharing them ?

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by ancientfuturist

god created time and stands outside of it hmm. ive heard that arguement before however where did this god come from?

if there ever turns out to be a god (and im leaning on no) then i dont think it would be this christian god maybe god could be something outside religion that we havent imagined with all the religions in the world orr it could be something like the force

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   
If you really want to study Christian Apologetics, I'd suggest reading the book "The Case for Christ" by Lee Strobel. Strobel was a Chicago reporter and Lawyer. He approaches Christainity as an Atheist seeking to have Christian scholars "prove it" to him.

He makes a very compelling case and is eventually converted to Christianity. It's a deep and very interesting read. The book answered a lot of questions I had and some that I hadn't thought about.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Hi so when are you going to comment on what i said or are we just going to step around what i said hope your looking into it and not just blowing it off.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by vkturbo

i would have to tell you there was a reason the south lost the war, they were poorly funded,had old uniforms, had to eat crappy hard tack for meals and had very low morale towards the middle and end of the war that is why the civil war turned out the way it did not a magic book interpertation. i imagine that if the south had more munnies they just might have won

and sorry anbout the magic book thing that may have come of harsh

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by CryptoZealot

whats christian apologetics? whats apologetics anyway?

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by ashanu90
reply to post by CryptoZealot

whats christian apologetics? whats apologetics anyway?

It means "putting the case for Christianity, defending it."

That's actually the original meaning of the word "apology", or at least the root "Apologia".

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by DISRAELI

oh ok thanks ive heard that word alot i just never knew what it meant i might check that out sometime

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   
""the truth is like an expensive whore she beds with any who have the coin to pamper her. do not overcomplicate life with the search for one unifying truth, there is none""

The above is your statement. Your mind seems to be made up, or the above statement needs to be revised.
The sentence above that one, says you were not attacking just asking a question, supposedly on why people believe in God.

The two statements are contradictory. One says I have a question. The other says, I have formed a conclusion there is no one unifying truth.

I wonder which is your real stance?

Now, on the odd chance that you are right, and have the qualifications to state fact and not mere opinion there is nothing more to say but what I think is implied by you. I think you imply, why doesn't everyone agree with me?

There is a type of overused useless conversation, in which an unproven fact is presented as fact. The result is thousands of volumes of words all on an unproven fact.

The difference in real edeavors is to prove all you know, and to have the proofs handy enough to state your proofs. What you don't know, do controlled experiments on and state not only the structure of the experiment but the results. Then, your work is possible to be checked on by others.

One experiment is worth a thousand expert opinions.

If your questions are real, then do the following. Prove the Bible wrong. If you do you'll be famous.

...Curt...

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by ashanu90

the verses are right here

31) Unicorns have never existed, yet they are said to in Deuteronomy 33:17.

32) Fiery serpents have NEVER existed yet Numbers 21:6 claims they do and TO THIS DAY STILL inhabit certain cities.

as for kobe bryant there is no way he did that i wouldnt believe taht unless the girl was holding two forms of state idea and if kobe was surounded by at least twenty friends and his gma was there
just kidding i just wanted an excuse to say all that i never personally followed that case so i dont know the details but i know what dave chapelle said lol

Aw, no wonder. That's a mistranslation on behalf of the KJV translators/interpreters.

17"As the firstborn of his ox, majesty is his,
And his horns are the horns of (A)the wild ox;
With them he will (B)push the peoples,
All at once, to the ends of the earth.
And those are the ten thousands of Ephraim,
And those are the thousands of Manasseh."
-NASB

17 In majesty he is like a firstborn bull;
his horns are the horns of a wild ox.
With them he will gore the nations,
even those at the ends of the earth.
Such are the ten thousands of Ephraim;
such are the thousands of Manasseh."
-NIV

17 The firstling of his herd, majesty is his; And his horns are the horns of the wild-ox: With them he shall push the peoples all of them, even the ends of the earth: And they are the ten thousands of Ephraim, And they are the thousands of Manasseh. -ASV

6 Then the LORD sent venomous snakes among them; they bit the people and many Israelites died - NIV

6-7 So God sent poisonous snakes among the people; they bit them and many in Israel died. The people came to Moses and said, "We sinned when we spoke out against God and you. Pray to God; ask him to take these snakes from us."-The Message

6 So the Lord sent poisonous snakes among the people, and many were bitten and died. - NLT

So, not only are translations critical, there are also other valid explanations as well. I know Isaiah 30:6 has been the subject of controversy over the "fiery flying serpent". Which, by the way, also has a number of other translations as well as valid explanations. Young earth creationists will explain the "fiery flying serpent" as a type of early pterosaur and that "fiery" is a bioluminescence. There are also creationists and scholars that would say the "fiery flying serpent" is similar to saw scaled viper which is highly venomous and is known to LEAP at it's targets, which suggests flight. Also, many scholars would suggest that the word "fiery" is more accurately translated "burning", which is suggestive of the burning sensation of venom.

As far as the unicorn is concerned, I know both sides. There are scholars who would suggest the translation be fixed to bull or wild ox. On the other hand, there are also creationists who would suggest that Unicorns were actual creatures. Not only are there actual eighteenth-century reports from southern Africa that describe a uni-horned equine-type creature, but there are also creationists who would point to an extinct rhinoceros as the culprit deemed a "unicorn"- the elasmotherium. The elasmotherium’s 33-inch-long skull has a huge bony protuberance on the frontal bone consistent with the support structure for a massive horn. There is also one other worthy candidate to take a look at, and that is the Assyrian rimu(the Hebrew word is re'em and so bears close resemblance to the assyrian), also known as an aurochs.

There are a number of suggestions and/or interpretations other than just the mainstream view of "fiery flying serpents"(dragons) and the fabled "unicorn". There is no reason to suspect anything outlandish in lieu of all possibilities.

Respectfully
A2D

edit to add: Smith's commentary concerning the translation from the Hewbrew "re'em" -

Unicorn - the rendering of the Authorized Version of the Hebrew reem, a word which occurs seven times in the Old Testament as the name of some large wild animal. The reem of the Hebrew Bible, however, has nothing at all to do with the one-horned animal of the Greek and Roman writers, as is evident from De 33:17 where in the blessing of Joseph it is said; "his glory is like the firstling of his bullock, and his horns are like the horns of a unicorn;" not, as the text of the Authorized Version renders it, "the horns of unicorns." The two horns of the ram are "the ten thousands of Ephraim and the thousands of Manasseh." This text puts a one-horned animal entirely out of the question. Considering that the reem is spoken of as a two-horned animal of great strength and ferocity, that it was evidently well known and often seen by the Jews, that it is mentioned as an animal fit for sacrificial purposes, and that it is frequently associated with bulls and oxen we think there can be no doubt that, some species of wild ox is intended. The allusion in Ps 92:10 "But thou shalt lift up, as a reeym, my horn," seems to point to the mode in which the Bovidae use their horns, lowering the head and then tossing it up. But it is impossible to determine what particular species of wild ox is signified probably some gigantic urus is intended. (It is probable that it was the gigantic Bos primigeniua, or aurochs, now extinct, but of which Caesar says, "These uri are scarcely less than elephants in size, but in their nature, color and form are bulls. Great is their strength and great their speed; they spare neither man nor beast when once; they have caught sight of them" --Bell. Gall. vi. 20.-ED.)

[edit on 14-4-2010 by Agree2Disagree]

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Why do I believe in God?

- Because I've experienced God, enjoyed his friendship, and put my hand in his.

- Because I've experienced miracles when I have prayed from the depths of my heart. - Including the return to live of my dead infant son who had convulsed in my arms until he died.

- Because I've experienced many things which have proved the unreality of this universe we live on, and know there must be some reality behind this game of smoke and mirrors.

- Because God has spoken to me, giving me help and advice when I've needed it.

- Because, when I was a lonely, abused child, walking many miles alone through the forest to school and back again, God used to walk with me, and we would play and sing and dance, and make up songs and poems together.

- Because, when I wanted to take over the running of community service in a religious group, God arranged a miracle and guided me so I could take over that aspect and guide the group to truly work to feed the hungry.

- Because, when my daughter was dying in hospital and the doctors had given up all hope, and I prayed desperately for her to at least live one more day, I got up with an idea in my head which did save her life.

I don't understand people who try to disprove God by debunking the Bible or debunking religion. Religion is not God. The Bible is not God.

We are God. This universe is God. Love and laughter are God.

The jealous tyrant of the old testament is real, because believing strongly enough in an idea gives it reality. However it was a demon invented to bind together a theocratic tribe, frightening the members into submission, justifying genocides, and giving power to the priest rulers.

It's no wonder people brought up in that tradition, who were blessed with questioning minds, became atheists.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join