It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mt. Etna Eruption ~ Local Coverage (latest event: Feb. 19 0500 local time! )

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Whoa - Whatever she's doing behind those clouds - just as I posted the last entry here a truly righteous Mt. Etna BOOM gave the house a shake. Not a earthquake shake but more a strong wind kind of buffer shake like when a very large fireworks bomb goes off.

It might still only be ash - but whatever it is she's doing it up right!

I's love to know what all this has to do with the suns actions also - as has been pointed out in the thread (will have to go back and see who posted about it)...

Considering the graphs and incline in number of eruptions worldwide it makes me wonder.

peace

[edit on 8-4-2010 by silo13]

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Thanx for the thread, I lived in Motta Sant'Anastasia (south side of Etna) for two years in the 90's, we had a big eruption then, luckily for us the lava flow was on the other side of Etna. I guess it always flows on the north side?
The US Navy placed huge blocks of concrete (by chopper) in the way of the flow to re-direct it away from towns. I hiked to the top once and watched the lava flowing, very cool.

Muncibeḍḍu is one of the Worlds most active volcanoes, and is almost constantly active.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by jazz10

If you think there is a connection between solar flares and earthquakes, you might want to read Phages thread on this subject.
His collection of data sort of debunks the idea.

Solar activity and earthquakes

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Here's a great site showing Etna is listed in the 'orange' for eruption and some info about her.

I can't agree with all the site says as I've seen lava flow and eruptions many times since 2008 (as they list) and that's a bit frustrating, but, it's an interesting page to navigate for world wide disaster information regardless..

RSOE

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

I hiked to the top once and watched the lava flowing, very cool.

I remember some of that action way back then - very cool stuff. I've got some pictures here I should dig out - much better than the ones I posted.

I snuck behind some Caribinieri (not hard to do) and Forestry trucks back then to 'visit' a lava flow. Poked it with a stick then ran like hell. The noise of the lava smoothing along combined with the tinkling sound of the cooling rock falling away, plus the fire as it goes is heady stuff.

Glad you enjoyed the thread! Hope you come back to visit soon.

peace

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

I'm sorry if I sound ignorant because I don't know much about volcanoes but I read that you said something about a larger volcano that erupts with Mt. Etna. How big is this volcano and what would be its effects if it did erupt?

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
reply to post by ANOK

I hiked to the top once and watched the lava flowing, very cool.

I remember some of that action way back then - very cool stuff. I've got some pictures here I should dig out - much better than the ones I posted.

I snuck behind some Caribinieri (not hard to do) and Forestry trucks back then to 'visit' a lava flow. Poked it with a stick then ran like hell. The noise of the lava smoothing along combined with the tinkling sound of the cooling rock falling away, plus the fire as it goes is heady stuff.

Glad you enjoyed the thread! Hope you come back to visit soon.

peace

Thanks for this more than fast breaking news info. I've always been fascinated by volcanoes, its too bad its night time over there right now. Could you update us with a few pictures in the morning, ash cloud and all?

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Wow. This happens the day after Italian vulcanologists said the walls of that undersea volcano you mentioned appear "fragile" and "an eruption could cause a tsunami that would engulf much of southern Italy, causing certain death and destruction" an Italian volcanologist said.

"If the volcano were to spew its accumulating magma, the eruption would send forth a tsunami that would overwhelm Italy’s southern regions of Campania, Calabria and the island of Sicily" D’Anna said.

[edit] Sorry, didn't see you had already linked, quoted the report, and made another post about it. lol.

[edit on 8-4-2010 by beaverg]

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

THANKS tons for the great and rapid work. Congrats.

I love it when ATSers skunk the MSM.

Pictures are from my roof - I'm lucky she's in my backyard.

Prayers that it stays that way . . . i.e. that you feel lucky being there.

I suspect a big enough eruption and the wrong wind could change that horrifically.

Take care.

God be with you. And thanks for excellent reports and updating.

Certainly the pics are excellent and most welcome.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Wow, we'll keep you in our prayers and hope everything will be alright. Nothing on the google news yet. Be careful.

peace

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I cannot believe the MSM hasn't picked up on this yet. I've been following this thread for about an hour now, and I will continue to do so.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   

There are more volcanoes erupting today, simultaneously, than in the memory of man. Volcano World lists 540 known volcanoes, 183 of which have erupted within the last 10,000 years.

Yes, but our ability to detect and record them has also increased exponentially, so that has to be taken into account...

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I was watching the movie 2012 last night and then i just saw this post.Getting kinda creeped out by all the solar issues and its effect on earth lately. almost 4 days now the eaths magnetosphere is being hammered.oh no 2012!!

What if the Mayans are right???

***Help me quick,how do i subscribe to get email notifications when someone replys under me ***

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chamberf=6
reply to post by jazz10

If you think there is a connection between solar flares and earthquakes, you might want to read Phages thread on this subject.
His collection of data sort of debunks the idea.

Solar activity and earthquakes

Phage thinks comparing charts is the only way to debunk or prove anything... WRONG. I submit critical thinking does a much better job. Look at the suns activities in the last few days... look at what the earth is doing.

Just because we have better records now and they show more volcano's and more earthquakes, DOES NOT PROVE THAT IS THE REASON. USGS admits this on their own site using the words "may", "might", and "could"... PROVING NOTHING.

THINK FOR YOURSELF... LOOK AROUND YOU... DOES THE WORLD SEEM LIKE IT DID TO YOU 10 YEARS AGO?

To me it looks and feels nothing like it did in 2000. THE EARTH IS CHANGING... CAN'T YOU FEEL IT?

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I checked the Italian news sites but I cannot find any information relating to this eruption.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Thank for the great coverage. I love the pictures. I've never seen such good close up pictures of an erupting volcano!

Thanks for sharing and so quickly!

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I found this one.

tna showing signs of new eruptions?
Category: Etna

A view of the steaming Mt. Etna, taken on April 8, 2010 by Dr. Boris Behncke.
Eruptions reader and member at Italian National Institute of Geophysics and Volcanology in Catania, Dr. Boris Behncke, has been keeping many of us appraised on the goings-on at Mt. Etna. A series of earthquakes occurred on April 2-3 along a fault near the north flank of the volcano - 175 earthquakes in all producing some impressive results - and Boris has noted increased "rumblings" at Etna since. This has culminated in explosions and ash April 7-8. Most of the ash appears to be made from merely crushed rock of previous eruption - accidental material rather than new juvenile magma, but all of this suggests that Etna could be headed for a new eruptive period. There has also been an increase in the gas emissions from the volcano - all signs that new magma may be rising in the conduit and a new eruption is approaching. Etna erupts quite frequently, but has been relatively quiet over the last few months, with little in the way of obviously eruptive activity.

scienceblogs.com...

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
ATS wins again.

gg msm.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sarahko
I checked the Italian news sites but I cannot find any information relating to this eruption.

Aye, it's odd that such a "major eruption" is receiving exactlly nil media coverage

In fact, outside of this thread there is no evidence whatsoever that Mount Etna is behaving in any way different to how it has over the past few months (or, indeed, years) It is, after all, an active volcano.

What next? A breaking news story that Kilauea on Hawaii is erupting?

If you want to worry about volcanoes look at Iceland - an eruption curiously ignored by most on ATS though it has the potential (if Katla erupts) to be the most significant geological event of recent times. I wonder why it's being so ignored?

Note: the OP provides no links to the images. I call a hoax!

[edit on 8-4-2010 by Essan]

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Edgar Cayce Predictions about Etna are significant.

www.scribd.com...

When there is the first breaking up of conditions in the South Pacific and the sinking of the Mediterranean and the Etna area then we would say they have begun. [The earth changes].

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join