It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraq War Vet: "We Were Told to Just Shoot People, and the Officers Would Take Care of Us"

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by jerico65

Originally posted by dalek
a US General presented 2 goats as a plead for forgiveness because US FORCES killed his 2 sons and their pregnant wives.
WHAT COUNTRY?, HA! what do you care?

It appeared to work, the dad was saying "I have no more grudge"

YET ANOTHER EXAMPLE OF SUCCESSFUL AMERICAN FOREIGN POLICY, MILITARY MIGHT & YOUR TAX DOLLARS AT WORK.

Did you ever think that in that region of the world, giving the goats is asking for forgiveness in such a case?

Totally different culture.

now to sports ..............

Tiger woods Televised mea culpa has worked and the $ are flowing again.

I heard that the Rev Al Sharpton was mad at Tiger because he didn't show any diversity in the skanks he was screwing around with.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

I know nothing more about you than your screen name. But you are among the wisest people i have ever come across. It is a real treat and honor to be able to read the thoughts you share.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
War is hell to begin with ... throw in battle fatigue, a hard to identify enemy, panic, poor planning, poor leadership, vague ambition, and a plethora of other issues and this is the result. Same happened in Vietnam.

Nail on the head. Poor leadership, primarily.

The whole thing was a "fustercluck" (to use a poor term). From the very get go. We went in with Shock and Awe (which was fanstastic television, until you realized that each bomb snuffed out a few lives...far less fantastic then). And then had absolutely no plan from there.

And you always hear that the DoD has all those war plans all laid out and ready to "pull the trigger" on. Apparently not.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Did you ever think that in that region of the world, giving the goats is asking for forgiveness in such a case?
Totally different culture.

Damn, you got me there!
In a culture where the old have to rely on the support of their family as they get older, YOUR RIGHT!
2 goats are way over the top with regards to family, perhaps one goat would have suffice for the loss of 2 sons, 2 daughter in laws AND their UNBORN children.

1 goat as a good will gesture maybe?

I heard that the Rev Al Sharpton was mad at Tiger because he didn't show any diversity in the skanks he was screwing around with.

If the guy likes Blacksonblondes, thats up to him!
At least he said sorry to the media & THATS THE IMPORTANT THING!

btw can you link me the Rev Al Sharpton quote?

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Portugoal

Originally posted by Portugoal
reply to post by OverSword

And I'll continue to spout opinion. You're the one ignoring facts. 100yards away? That's a football field. Hell, I think I'd be able to recognize fighting 100 yards away if I was an insurgent. If I was American, I think I'd be able to recognize that the insurgents weren't really preparing to engage or anything of the sort.

You're the one ignoring facts. A football field away, I would recognize children sharing a seat, I would recognize cameras, etc.

A world away I recognize that laughing as people are driving over bodies is ridiculous. This is the problem with the SYSTEM. Why don't you have anything to say about the article this thread is about?

Do you truly believe that the personnel on the ground had the ability to see 100 yards? 100 yards may be a football field, but that 100 yards will not be flat, unobstructed field. Have you considered things like buildings, blind spots or any other kind of obstruction? Have you considered things like subterfuge or deception? They could be acting like civilians to mask the fact that they are insurgents, to ambush soldiers. All these things and much more must be processed insanely fast in any battle. Take these things into consideration in ANY video you see of combat.

I will not judge the actions of the soldiers. I was not there and a single video does not recreate the scenario. Fighting for survival is just that. If I was in a combat situation and was not 100% sure that a group of people were friendly, I would treat them as hostile.

A world away is exactly where you are. They could be happy and laughing because they are going back to base alive. In combat, "Better you than me" is a very basic example of self preservation.

I would suggest that all the detractors do research on warfare. Perhaps then you would consider things that you cannot see in that video. Finally, do not bring the system or TPTB into a combat situation. I have no love for the system. However, the reasons WHY we went to war and the reasons WHY soldiers behaved as they did in battle are completely unrelated.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by eikmun

The reality of the situation? Give it a rest. The reality of the situation is these pilots acted prematurely and murdered innocent civillians and high fived and congratulated each other after doing it. That's the most disgusting thing about the entire video in my opinion. Nice shooting as if it's a video game.

[edit on 8-4-2010 by Zosynspiracy]

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   

reply to post by Reign02

Are you trying to justify killing civilians by saying that people don't get hyped up by rape or murder? Excuse me but I do. You're trying to justify one crime with another. Good one. That's like saying, planes crash every now and then so 9/11 was just another blip in aviation.

That is a horrible reference BTW with 9-11 and blip in aviation. I am going to say it loud and clear to all you "anti-war" "anti-american" "anti-military" people. Look at ALL the wars the US has been in. This war if you can even call it that has had the FEWEST civilian casualties of a "war" lasting more than a year. You people talk all you want but YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IS GOING ON.... Yea you get a couple of videos on the internet, so you think you know how it is over there. You view all these Anti-American military videos on the internet showing us doing "horrible" things. It is called PROPAGANDA!!! We (being the military) are not brainwashed but it is YOU who are brainwashed into thinking that we are constantly doing horrible things. An enemy that has no funds and is significantly smaller than our forces only has a couple options that he/she can use against us. In modern times it is propaganda, a cheap and effective way to gain support for their "cause". I believe the slogan here is deny ignorance, looks like most of you forgot. Don't be fooled by the media as they only report the bad things in this world, look up some of the good we have been doing for Iraq and Afghanistan. Look at it from both sides do NOT give in to anti-American propaganda and fear mongering. For most of you, your are already lost in the waves of propganda and have been in fact "brainwashed" by the media and the internet.

I am done with this crap, if you don't like America or what we do then kindly leave our country.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Reign02

It's ironic that you refer to fear mongering, considering that the airwaves and the Bush administration was happily pumping the fear mongering message out right after 911, a message that took a lot of the misguided happily down the road to war.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zosynspiracy
The reality of the situation? Give it a rest. The reality of the situation is these pilots acted prematurely and murdered innocent civillians and high fived and congratulated each other after doing it. That's the most disgusting thing about the entire video in my opinion. Nice shooting as if it's a video game.

How's that armchair quarterbacking working for you?

Acted prematurely? I guess they are suppose to wait until AFTER the SAM or AAA hits their aircraft before they engage, huh?

Once again, a bit of research. That area called New Baghdad is an area where a lot of insurgents are (in 2007). One of the Main Supply Routes (MSR) ran right next to it and was being hit with a lot of IEDs.

Guys had AKs and RPGs and were seen from the air by the helicopters. Since this area has been known for being hostile, US troops were in contact nearby, the helicopters engaged.

I guess you're thinking that the helicopters should have waited until the insurgents started to fire first???

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   
The war just looks more disgusting every day. It's just sad what some humans are capable of.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 09:01 PM
link   
To respond to the OP i would say that the world will hate america no matter what we do.

To respond to the fundamental mental question of why we are still at war, well i have no idea. Obama promised and campaigned to end these wars, so why are our troops still over there?

We can't afford to continue these wars, both financially and politically. For a war that was supposedly for oil (Iraq), why don't we have any of it? Oil prices are just as high as when the war began. What is the deal here? Why are we still over there?

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Damn, you got me there!
In a culture where the old have to rely on the support of their family as they get older, YOUR RIGHT!
2 goats are way over the top with regards to family, perhaps one goat would have suffice for the loss of 2 sons, 2 daughter in laws AND their UNBORN children.

1 goat as a good will gesture maybe?

I honestly don't know, but maybe where that old man comes from, the goats are what is acceptable for killing family members. They have a different culture over there than the West. Try a bit of research before flying off the handle.

btw can you link me the Rev Al Sharpton quote?

I read that somewhere right after Tigergate. Probably The Onion.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   
First i am sorry to say i was unable to read most of the replies.
Second, I support our troops, but not the war. The war they are fighting isnt fair. The enemy is no longer in a uniform. They are in civilian clothes and a good amount of time, are woman and children. Our men and woman are forced to fight this war and they have to protect themselves at all costs. Tell me how you protect yourself when there are no clear lines. Kill or be killed. Please dont critisize our troops. No one wins in a war. No One. If i have upset anyone it was not my intention. I just know i have freinds there now, on their third tour. While the war doesnt make sense to them, they are unable to relate to our world anymore, and they are unable to leave thier fellow soldiers to fight alone. Its vicious cycle. As much as I love my Country, i pray that my children wont feel the need to defend her. Sad huh? That used to be the most honorable thing to do... Join and fight for your country. Next.

link   
Second, I support our troops, but not the war. The war they are fighting isnt fair. The enemy is no longer in a uniform. They are in civilian clothes and a good amount of time, are woman and children. Our men and woman are forced to fight this war and they have to protect themselves at all costs. Tell me how you protect yourself when there are no clear lines. Kill or be killed. Please dont critisize our troops. No one wins in a war. No One. If i have upset anyone it was not my intention. I just know i have freinds there now, on their third tour. While the war doesnt make sense to them, they are unable to relate to our world anymore, and they are unable to leave thier fellow soldiers to fight alone. Its vicious cycle. As much as I love my Country, i pray that my children wont feel the need to defend her. Sad huh? That used to be the most honorable thing to do... Join and fight for your country. Next.

link   

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zosynspiracy

How's that armchair quarterbacking working for you?

Acted prematurely? I guess they are suppose to wait until AFTER the SAM or AAA hits their aircraft before they engage, huh?

Once again, a bit of research. That area called New Baghdad is an area where a lot of insurgents are (in 2007). One of the Main Supply Routes (MSR) ran right next to it and was being hit with a lot of IEDs.

Guys had AKs and RPGs and were seen from the air by the helicopters. Since this area has been known for being hostile, US troops were in contact nearby, the helicopters engaged.

I guess you're thinking that the helicopters should have waited until the insurgents started to fire first???

Hello,

To quote a previous post/reply...

Originally posted by slank
Like walking around conducting daily business?

With an AK-47 and a RPG? What sort of "daily business" is conducted with those???

I suppose this could be taken out of context...

First, they had AK-47s and RPGs. Then they possibly had SAMs or AAAs.

"I guess you're thinking that the helicopters should have waited until the insurgents started to fire first???"

Yes. My technology surpasses my enemies, I can maneuver, and fire back if needed. If I don't need to take evasive maneuvers, I don't need to fire back.

"Once again, a bit of research. That area called New Baghdad is an area where a lot of insurgents are (in 2007)."

Welcome to 2010. And what has this war accomplished thus far into it? To make sure the red sea actually turns red? Bad geography, give this war more fuel. There's a key-word!

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Ok how's this for more context. The ground tropps should've been able to identify the children sharing a seat. The ground troops should've been able to identify the RPG as a camera. Are these the same ground troops that drove over bodies after wards (even though the official story was that there were too many bodies to move in with tanks) and laughed?

Doesn't sound like they were too concerned with dying or killing anyone. Sounds to me like a nice game of Halo. All that was missing was the teabagging (which I'm sure will surface in another video).

I've been sitting here in this thread, reading posts like these, and I have something to say.

If you think you are such an authority on urban combat, go fight the war yourselves and end it for us. If you are such experts on what should happen here, what should happen there, what should happen now and then, etc. etc. go fight the war and end it.

You all seem to think its so clear cut and obvious, and you think that it can be done so effectively, go do it. If it is how you make it out to be, you'll have this war done in a matter of months and can save our country billions of dollars, and thousands of lives.

So I'm waiting, any volunteers? Who thinks they can handle it all so much better?

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Try a bit of research before flying off the handle.

sorry, I'm not trying to be confrontational here, sorry if I appeared to be.

where is the best place to research the video clip footage?

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Thank you OP, thank you!!

I have always been a strict pacifist and this just goes to show how horrible things are when war is happening.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by grimreaper797
If you think you are such an authority on urban combat, go fight the war yourselves and end it for us. If you are such experts on what should happen here, what should happen there, what should happen now and then, etc. etc. go fight the war and end it.

I don't like what rapists do.

However that does not mean I'm going to become a rapist to show them how to do it better.

And you think critics of this wholesale rape of Iraq and Afghanistan should sign up to help you rape these countries more efficiently?

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join