It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Virus Grows Within

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+23 more 
posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Deny Ignorance. The motto of this fine website. I felt obliged to write this up after a recent (continuing) spate of threads regarding the infamous Nibru (Nibiru). What the authors of the threads regarding this topic are doing is completely contradicting the motto of this website and all that it stands for, it not only relies upon no actual evidence, but actually seeks to connect dots where there are none. Its fair to say that those who subscribe to the theories which speak of Nibru arriving in 2012 are nothing short of cultists. Its even more fair to say, that these beliefs make less sense and hold less substance than some of the older religions such as Christianity and Islam, here’s why:

First to explain why this is nothing short of a cult:

-They rely on no factual evidence.

-It is a faith based mentality.

-They have their ‘holy book’ (Sitchin’s Earth Chronicles) from which their fundamental beliefs are derived.

-They have their ‘coming messiah’, the infamous Nibru.

Now:

-Unlike Christianity/Islam where the historical validity of these religion’s holy documents are still being debated, the Nibru-ists ‘holy book’ is known to be a work of fiction, and their ‘founding father’ is known to be a fictional author.

Why is this cultist mentality dangerous?

-It requires you to suspend your rational and logical side.

-You deflect all proper evidence which contradicts your beliefs.

It’s followers are adamant that they have ‘seen’ this planet, when all ‘evidence’ is easily debunked as something else. Common myths are thrown around such as the fact that the Mayans/Sumerians/Hindu’s all predicted that Nibru would arrive in 2012, when it is completely false. The fact that the name Nibru itself is not even referred to as a planet, but rather a title, in all Sumerian cuneiform, really speaks wonders as to where the information is really derived from (Sitchin). The works of educated scholars are trashed while the works of fictional authors are placed on a pedestal. They continually throw around youtube videos of amateur space shots where the planet in question is either Mars, Venus or a bright star. You could go on and on about how flawed these beliefs are.

Keep your beliefs, but stop preaching around when you have nothing to back up your words. Not all people know how to weigh everything they read on the internet, and when they see 1 thread, 2 threads, 3 threads pop up of youtube videos claiming to show Nibru and a row of posters explaining how through remote viewing they’ve seen Nibru come in 2012, the result is not good.

If I’m the only one who’s concerned about what this fantasy is doing to the integrity of the site, then ignore this post.

If I’m the only one who’s concerned about what this fantasy is doing to some of the younger members of this site, then ignore this post.

If I’m the only one who’s concerned about the alarming growth of this fantasy throughout this site, then ignore this post.

But if I’m not the only one who’s concerned, please speak up. This is a virus that needs to be addressed.

[edit on 7/4/2010 by serbsta]

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 02:16 AM
link   
I must admit, i'm feeling the same way as you, not just about Nibiru, but about HAARP too.

It's like people have been brainwashed by an interesting idea that has no real evidence to back it up.

Project Camelot/David Wilcock/Jordan Maxwell and that Sitchin guy do not help much either.

I'm guessing most of the HAARP/NIBIRU nuts are quite young people who need an escape from reality.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 02:19 AM
link   
reply to post by serbsta

S&F my friend!

To be completely honest, I'm not very well versed in the whole Nibiru/Planet X topic, however I have read a few of the threads and tried to research some of the information that's been put out there and for the life of me I can't find any factual correlations at all.

If people want to spend their time researching, waiting, hoping, praying for the arrival of Nibiru then that's fine, it's their time wasted.

But here lately there seems to be a growing number of Nibiru threads almost daily. Pictures of this, videos of that, references from here and there. Maybe something can be done to combine some of threads together, because it's usually the same information that's being regurgitated over and over and over.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Sitchin's invented planet has become a cottage industry. Books about the coming of Nibiru, DVD's about the coming of Nibiru. Lectures.

And what is it all about? We're all gonna die, or near enough.

Bad science about a planet that sweeps through the solar system every 3,600 years and yet leaves the orbits of the planets undisturbed. Bad science about a stealth planet that cannot be seen.

Sitchin created and planted the seeds of ignorance and fear. He and those riding his coattails are collecting the harvest from the suckers who are eating up the nonsense.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 02:32 AM
link   
My problem is not that they do not supply evidence, sometimes they do and it is just misidentification (like Mars earlier lol).

I just think there are certain catch-phrases that develop when something happens. Like how you can't have a single earthquake happen without a HAARP theory.

I mean they should at least get creative and give out a sonic earthquake generator theory. Maybe even satellite based.

I am just saying I like creative conspiracy theories that get all technical in their suppositions.

I do agree that people should let go of something when proven wrong.

I am quick to let go when proven wrong right in my face. It's embarrassing and I'll admit your right and thank you for informing me of more accurate info.

I don't really require evidence to consider a theory, but the theory does have to follow rational and logical rules in general.

And when problems are found in the theory they should be addressed.

But with super huge claims that are massively important, I will require evidence before I believe it.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by serbsta

I agree and S&F for posting.

Although I think all these people that think that this work of fiction is true, I say, Let them be. This is a conspiracy website and people should be able to discuss what they want. It does not take long to tell that these people are believing in fiction as there is no substantiated evidence.

I think they should have their own forum though as then we wouldn't have to sift through the nonsense.

As for them believing though, I couldn't care less if someone believed in unicorns, I would just smile and nod. At that point you just need to realize that some people like fiction more the fact.

Pred...

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 03:11 AM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

I agree. But, I think there is a certain limit, a certain extent to which complete ignorance can be taken. I believe these Nibru theories are getting pretty close.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 03:19 AM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

How about if the unicorns went crazy and started spearing people?

The point is that there are people who are genuinely terrified by the prospect of Nibiru. Instilling fear and promoting ignorance for the sake of profit is not to be taken lightly.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 03:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Exactly, wait til nearer 2012, people will be going insane with this stuff. Suicide rates will rocket.

2012 is another one actually, that can go in the same bucket.

[edit on 7-4-2010 by grantbeed]

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 03:33 AM
link   
There are some things discussed on this board that require nothing more than a 'wait and see' philosophy. I agree that speculation on subjects like these are a great waste of time, but hey, humans really like to use their imaginations. These stories are as good for them as movies and television. Good for them.

I think what's really special about this site is that there are a great many people talking about things that ARE real, and talking about things we can do about these real things.

I've looked around, and I haven't really found anywhere else that have so many people discussing REAL politics, REAL science, and REAL social problems. With or without the gross speculation, grandiose imaginings, and outright lunacy that goes with this territory, this site is outstanding.

ATS inspires me to learn something new... strike that... FORCES me to learn something new or to look at something I think I already know in a different way every time I visit. It is an invaluable tool to opening minds.

The Mayan calendar ends when it does because they figured they could just start reading it backwards on 122112.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 03:34 AM
link   
reply to post by serbsta

Hello,

I find these kind of threads interesting as well. It all comes down to belief, what you belief what I believe is always going to be different.

Is this thread in itself not doing exactly what you say others are doing? Your giving your point of view and belief and then discrediting others?

Personally people can believe what they want as far as I am concerned it only becomes a problem when people try to force their ideas, believes on me.

I personally just ignore anything that I don’t agree with and if I am interested in something I do my own research, really simple.

Lot of people don’t though, to use the Mars thread as an example, just look at the stars people got on the first 2 pages when it was Saturn, then that other body (can’t remember the name) Then we find it is Mars. My point being it just shows people do no research and make claims and back others up just based upon their word or reputation, even though some were wrong first time.

Food for thought.

Thank you OP for sharing your ideas thoughts which I totally respect.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 04:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheDon
reply to post by serbsta

Is this thread in itself not doing exactly what you say others are doing? Your giving your point of view and belief and then discrediting others?

I'm not making fallacious claims and backing them up with fallacious evidence. It's exactly what this post is trying NOT to promote. I do understand what you're saying though and thanks for your input.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 04:25 AM
link   
reply to post by serbsta

Thank you too Sir for yours.

Hmmm 2nd line

+5 more 
posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 04:28 AM
link   
You know what I find almost as regular as the crazy threads? The threads complaining about the crazy threads. Don't we have this discussion every month? I'm grateful a lot of effort went into debunking the recent Nibiru-Mars thread, but making a thread like this afterward is just in bad taste.

There is no virus eating away at the morals of ATS. There have always been cult followings, and there will always be cult followings on every message board no matter what you do.

It's a fact of the Internet.

[edit on 4/7/2010 by SonicInfinity]

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 04:36 AM
link   
reply to post by SonicInfinity

There have always been cult followings, and there will always be cult followings on every message board no matter what you do

Yes, but when every bright object in the sky and every earthquake gets blamed on either HAARP or Nibiru, doesn't it nip your head just a little?

I think the Nibiru idea is a very interesting read, and I also think HAARP is a very interesting piece of equipment, well worthy of lots of discussion, but there has to be a line in the sand somewhere.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 04:42 AM
link   
reply to post by grantbeed

So whenever I get irritated at a stupid thread, I should make a thread complaining about it? That truly is denying ignorance.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 04:45 AM
link   

I think we both know this is not about one thread. It's a culmination of many many threads over a period of time.

I think to say the OP is purely writing this thread based on the Mars thread does not really give the OP much respect.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 04:52 AM
link   
reply to post by grantbeed

And I think we both know this isn't the first thread on ATS that complains about other threads or culminations of threads. One of these days, I should do a Thread Complaining Archive that links to every single thread on ATS that complains about other threads on ATS.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 04:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by grantbeed
I must admit, i'm feeling the same way as you, not just about Nibiru, but about HAARP too.

It's like people have been brainwashed by an interesting idea that has no real evidence to back it up.

Project Camelot/David Wilcock/Jordan Maxwell and that Sitchin guy do not help much either.

I'm guessing most of the HAARP/NIBIRU nuts are quite young people who need an escape from reality.

Define a reality.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 04:55 AM
link   

I think you miss my point. You still make examples of Threads that rip other threads.

This thread is not targeting any thread in particular. It is an observation that things are a bit out of hand and it's a sanity call for the better of ATS.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join