It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Apple iPad Conspiracy

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+31 more 
posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Why it seems that everywhere we look, we can find an iPad news on this easter ? I was asking myself, since I understand a lot about computers, so I tried to get to know this new Apple product.

What is iPad ?
Well, iPad is the first of these devices that are too big to be a mobile device and too slow to become a good netbook or notebook or even desktop replacement. So why is this device is being called the revolution or "laptop killer" or the future of computing ? In a moment the answer.

The reality is that iPad is a product that wont replace your computer, wont replace your netbook and certainly not your laptop. I would recommend you to read this review that explains how it works, the positives and the bads: Engadget iPad Review

So What about it ?

Since its a product that its too expensive, it doesnt offer anything you dont have already at home (Besides the touch interface), it makes you think why it would receive a lot of hype and a lot of media coverage and GOOD REVIEWS.

This product have some great flaws: doesnt offer a cam and a mic to use as a VOIP, doesnt offer an USB port, doesnt offer HDMI, doesnt offer multi-tasking (so you cant work, while researching, loading video, whatever), doesnt support FLASH (something that is presented into the entire web). Besides the price, where you could buy a notebook that would provide you the same and much more (besides touch screen).

But for some reason that its ridiculously weird, almost every review and news dont mention that these flaws WOULD BE UNACCEPTABLE in any new computer like device.

So Why the EXTENSIVE Media Coverage ?
Well, for everyone that already used Apple products like Iphone and Ipod Touch, you will notice that you need an App downloaded in their store to be able to experience these products. It tries to centralize everything in their place, so they can accept your app or not.

Since the big mainstream media is in decline, they need something to try to save themselves and iPad they think is the answer. Yeah, its a useless product but it provides this concept of centralization of everything. So, the mainstream media is already providing APPs (some that you will have to pay by month) so you can access their content thought it.

this is an example of an App; beautiful no? yeah

"What we're seeing is a desperate wish -- the last gasp of desperation. Editors and publishers and advertisers want to regain control of the media experience that the Internet took away from them. In their minds, this iPad is the magic pill that will make all of this Internet crap go away. Surely, it won't," Jeff Jarvis, the veteran journalist and author of What Would Google Do?

Article by Jose Antonio Vargas

Thats why everybody knows what an iPad is but nobody knows really what it does for you and if you really need it. Its a way for the mainstream media to get back to the top, trying to control their content and the internet ...

Will it work? Well, I dont know, but its painful to read all the news and reviews about it trying to make this something it is not. Lets hope most of the reviews by independent media can get more exposure.

It’s going to be very hard to find enough time to use the iPad. When you’re at home or at work, you’re going to use your computer. When you’re on the go, you have your smartphone. If you’re on a train or a plane and need to do some work, you can use a laptop. When you’re doing something else, such as running, well, then your attention is focused on that. When, exactly, are you going to use the iPad?

In these sources, they feel that all these moves by the big mainstream guys wont work, but who knows, I just think its not fair to try to use their visibility to try to sell a product that doesnt add anything to you.

source's used:
www.contentmatters.info...
www.engadget.com...
ptech.allthingsd.com...
www.pcmag.com...
www.pcworld.com...

[edit on 4-4-2010 by Faiol]

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 01:03 AM
link   
I won't be getting the ipad . I see it as nothing more then an oversized ipod / iphone . If that wasn't enough the ipad will require a data package from an eager service provider charging a monthly fee .

If the ipad had of been more computer than over sized ipod I then might be more inclined to buy .

I opted for a dell 10" to suit my portable needs

+1 more 
posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Macs are dumb, Go pc

the microsoft "pad" computer looks way cooler

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by l neXus l

I have to respectfully disagree , slightly .

The people at Apple are smart and very capable of creating good products . That said one has to wonder just what they were thinking when they decided to repackage and oversize an ipod and then pretend its some new product hoping people would buy it ?

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

well, they should have the support from big mainstream media, otherwise it is really an useless product

the best thing about ipad would be to read, but to charge 500$ its hard man ... and it doesnt do anything else better than any other devices we have at home

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Max_TO
reply to post by l neXus l

I have to respectfully disagree , slightly .

The people at Apple are smart and very capable of creating good products . That said one has to wonder just what they were thinking when they decided to repackage and oversize an ipod and then pretend its some new product hoping people would buy it ?

Still, you got to admit that the ipad is a flop compared to even the Microsoft zune. The ONLY thing it has going for it besides the name and looks is...not too sure actually.

That said, yes apple makes a great computer. I would LOVE a euphonix/mac pro setup to record my music on!

[edit on 4-4-2010 by SmokeandShadow]

[edit on 4-4-2010 by SmokeandShadow]

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Nothing the Kindle can't do!

--

I see no purpose in the iPad for anything other than reading, especially with the abilities it has that is all about you'd be able to do anyways.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 02:04 AM
link   
I don't doubt for a second that big media is behind it especially since it has gotten such good reviews when it seems to be pretty useless as you have showed! Thank you for opening up my eyes to the truth Faiol! I will not even consider getting one. I'll stick with my laptop.

No flashplayer, without a flashplayer I don't think it can even play youtube videos, I wonder how many of the people rushing out to buy one realize this!?

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 02:08 AM
link   
A good example for such scrutiny was one that hit close when EIDOS got caught paying off media sources to give Tomb Raider Underworld good reviews.

A source for this

So if a slightly unimportant company such as EIDOS(now bought out by highly important company Square-Enix, which instantly gained a Europe branch by doing this) can get away with getting media companies to sway certain ways, what does this make for the big time companies?

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 02:17 AM
link   
I can see this turning into a Mac vs PC debate...
You went to a lot of trouble making this post, so you must have some motive for doing so.
Media coverage/saturation is a marketing strategy employed by companies who can afford such coverage. You can choose to go out and by the product advertised, or simply ignore the offering and go on with your life.

The way you go on about the iPad and how worthless it is just says to me that you have a gripe for Apple. You have probably not used an iPad, so you aren't really qualified to have an opinion on it yet. Your rant about the iPad shows you to be one of those people who's opinions are formed the minute they hear or read someone else's.

Regards

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 02:20 AM
link   
People that buy macs and apple products do it for the "lifestyle". They think it's cool.

Just like you I've been wondering what all the hype is about. It's has been advertised for the last couple days on the news disguised as a news event. I turned on the news channels 3 times today and every time they were doing a report on it.

One of the reports I saw was where they interviewed some dude who was raving about it.

His favorite feature about it and why he waited forever in line and payed $500 for it was ........ He could read a recipe on it in his kitchen and cook ALL at the same time!!!! And then the fox reporter talked about how wonderful that would be to do.

PC Forever!!!

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 02:23 AM
link   
The Apple lifestyle really doesn't exist that much anymore. Everything is going to # for Apple's diehard fans...

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 02:25 AM
link   
I want one, some doctors already use a laptop with the swivel screen that turns it into a tablet. Very useful.

My friends love there itouch, and Ipad is just a bigger version. Plus you don't have to sign with a carrier unless you want 4G. I already want one of those electronic book readers, why not one I can download apps on, and listen to music. Plus the gaming aspect is pretty cool, you can steer a car by turning the screen.

I am waiting until it comes with flash though, so I can watch videos online. Plus maybe I can multi-task with it by then.

You can't persuade me not to get a tablet something, they are the future. Drawing with one is gonna rock!!!

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 02:34 AM
link   
There have been portables and ultra-portables with touch screens for at least the last 3-5 years... but they all run either Windows (from XP to 7) or flavors of Linux.... IIRC Viewsonic had an LCD display that also was a touch-capable PC, or rather laptop, running Windows at BestBuy, Fry's and other outlets around 3 years ago.

IMHO, the iPad is the digital equivalent of it's analog namesake- the hygenic pad... designed to plug the bloody hole caught between emotion and logic.

One could argue that Apple, via the App Store, has the ability to intercept and prevent malicious programs from being made available. But who appointed Apple the PC Police? For that matter, Apple has no control over what 3rd party apps that take your data to their servers and manipulate that in whatever way seen fit and necessary to give you the results you purchased. All Apple is doing is syphoning money from the developers of Apps to be put into Apple's accounts.

At least Microsoft and the hardware vendors offering Windows have the integrity to not dictate to you what programs you can or cannot run, and they do not make a percentage off of every program you purchase.

And to be honest, I could use a product like the iPad in my line or work: I build and test cell sites and mouse points and clicks can become very cumbersome... but considering I have to copy data from the tests into a report, preferably Word DOC, and the programs I use are Windows executables and ... well, even if I could get Windows running on it, it overall doesn't support what I need to do, which would require a USB interface to a serial port.
For what it's worth, a netbook for 200 dollars can do what I need for work, and let me watch a movie in the background- providing I drop another $50 for an external DVD drive... and overall, it's a re-hash of the re-hash of the iPhone vs. smartphone debate from years ago (FWIW, I am tao muon from Neowin, now Regression_88), but now it's iPad vs. touch-interface PC's that have been around for many years. So the iPad can do everything an iPod touch can do but with a bigger screen? Maybe it can do some iPhone things too.

Meh.

Apple has taken years to make a product that can do even the basics of what I can already do. What I see is its hype makes it the next best thing since the invention of the MP3 player and e-book reader, which Windows CE 5.0 / PocketPC OS could do.

So I have no impetus to buy it until it can run the programs I would really like it to... which IIRC can be run under WINE, need a serial interface, and the ability to export "Doc" files which is available with OpenOffice... or buy that netbook for 200 less.

So you say it's not marketed to me because of my job?

Fine then. It's not marketed towards anyone who desires the freedom to install and use programs at their own whim. You need a computer to read e-books, watch downloadable movies, and read emails? Netbooks can fill that description to a "tee" at half the cost of an iPad. Would you spend another $200 for a fancy mouse and less flexibility in programs you can install? That's your iPad premium.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pajjikor
I want one, some doctors already use a laptop with the swivel screen that turns it into a tablet. Very useful.

My friends love there itouch, and Ipad is just a bigger version. Plus you don't have to sign with a carrier unless you want 4G. I already want one of those electronic book readers, why not one I can download apps on, and listen to music. Plus the gaming aspect is pretty cool, you can steer a car by turning the screen.

I am waiting until it comes with flash though, so I can watch videos online. Plus maybe I can multi-task with it by then.

You can't persuade me not to get a tablet something, they are the future. Drawing with one is gonna rock!!!
iPad / Apple doesn't offer 4G.

[edit on 4/4/2010 by abecedarian]

[edit on 4/4/2010 by abecedarian]

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Exactly the reason i have never liked apple. Why let the manufacturer decide what you run and what you are not allowed to run? Its like these apple fanboys are lost in regards to control to their life, and run around screaming "please, somebody tell me what i can/cannot do!"

I admit that especially the iphone was way ahead of its time in regards to hardware&usability. But nowadays there are completely open alternatives around, way better&cheaper in terms of specs and usability.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 02:44 AM
link   
I'd totally buy it if I could use Photoshop on it. But no.....

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 02:48 AM
link   
reply to post by abecedarian

My bad not 4G but you can buy one with 3G, but you have to go through Sprint.

They come out late April.

store.apple.com...

The Ipad does not have a USB port, but a dock port which you can get a cable that goes from the dock port and ends in a USB cable. It allows you to plug it into your computer.

store.apple.com...

Its a good thing people research what they are talking about, otherwise you might end up looking like an idiot.

[edit on 4-4-2010 by Pajjikor]

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 03:07 AM
link   

store.apple.com...

Umm... proof / link?

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 03:07 AM
link   

store.apple.com...

Umm... proof / link?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join