It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Now you are FORCED to buy health insurance, what will you eliminate to afford it?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by FiatLux

Well, considering the national debt is currently ~12.6 Trillion USD, our GDP is 14.2 Trillion USD and, the government claims revenues of 1.9 Trillion USD... it really doesn't seem like we're that bad off. This number may continue to rise, however, it seems as if a majority of big ticket items are now taken care of, I doubt we'll see any large increases in the national debt anytime soon. (Obviously a lot of this is personal belief, and therefore, totally subjective.)

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man

I think "majority" is a bad term...depends on what your source is.

Dictatorship? Oh please....

Nonetheless, sometimes we must forego what is popular in order to do what is right.

Yes for the Greater Good.

I wonder what will the Trustees do next for the Greater Good?

Your right its not a dictatorship, its a Bureaucratic Collectivist Oligarchy.

Yay for Social Democracy, I mean Yay for Social Bureaucracy!

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Zanti Misfit

I do not think this Issue is totally settled yet . There will be a massive outrage against this Bill and challenges to it's Constitutionality by Activist Groups and State Legislators before it will ever become the Law of the land . For now , I will just go on with my life as usual , and I think most Americans out there will do the same .

Had to repeat what you said because it's so true. I don't care if my mother and ET created that health bill, forcing me to choose a health care option because i don't have one is unconstitutional on all levels.

If i can barely make ends meet as it is, what makes them think i'll be able to afford already inflated health care premiums? Not to mention the fact that each state has to agree with it as well, expect folks to come out the woodworks!

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
We might be forced to pay for healthcare but...

It certainly beats no healthcare at all. Which is what many Americans are facing as they are laid off from their jobs and as they retire..

Ever look at the costs for An emergency room visit ? Or a basic overnight hospital visit ?

Just the basic costs of An ambulance to get there ?

God forbid you or your significant other acquires a life threatening disease like breast or prostate cancer ?

Our current system is run by for profit corporations, which is just like fast food. They don't give a damn about your health and well being.

Just as long as they can make a profit.
If you are a risk at all then you can't get coverage under the current system.

When you have not other choices than to go to these for profit corporations, That is NOT healthcare, that is called a monopoly.

We need to fix our current system especially as Americans become older and head into retirement age which all of us will certainly face sooner or later.

[edit on 22-3-2010 by nh_ee]

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
I won't eliminate anything. I already have health insurance (common sense), so I'm not a freeloader that will sit on your money when I get sick.

Who do you think is going to foot the bill when you get sick, have a 10 day hospital visit with no insurance, and have to pay 200,000?

It will bankrupt you, and in the end, what they can't take from you will be put on the taxpayers shoulders.

Maybe now 62% of all bankruptcies in the US won't be due to medical costs. Maybe now those 900,000 people per year filing for bankruptcy will be a little smaller of an issue.

[edit on 22-3-2010 by Takamuri]

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man

Yet, here we are.

I've read the constitution many times. Interpretation is everything. Like I said earlier...if you don't like it, vote 'em out...and have confidence that the SCOTUS will overturn...that is IF it's unconstitutional.

There is no guarantee that the SCOTUS will do anything or decide that its unconstitutional.

Case in point, the SCOTUS once said that segregation was constitutional and then decades later reversed itself. There are other examples as well. The SCOTUS is just as bureaucratic as the Congress. They do whatever they want to do.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by nh_ee
When you have not other choices than to go to these for profit corporations, That is NOT healthcare, that is called a monopoly.

We need to fix our current system especially as Americans become older and head into retirement age which all of us will certainly face sooner or later.
[edit on 22-3-2010 by nh_ee]

Exactly. And the bill that has just been passed has made it worse. Yes, it will help a few people who might have ultimately ended up in dire straits because of a emergency room visit that they had no insurance to cover. But there are many others out there who prefer to pay out of pocket for their insurance because for them it is cheaper. They no longer have that choice.

This tragedy of this bill is not so much the fact that people will be paying private insurance companies.. it's that yet another freedom of choice has been removed from the American people.

Seriously, if requiring everyone to have health insurance was a viable option, why didn't the induvidual states do it earlier, such as when they did something similar for automotive liability insurance?

*sigh* Life will go on and this will fade into the background. As much as people rant and rave, here and elsewhere, I just don't see the momentum building up. We the people will grudgingly swallow this tripe and vote the whole lot of incumbants back into office this november claiming it was everyone elses representative that was the problem.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Does it only apply to the rich? Or to those that exceed a certain amount of people in their household? Or to those who are married? Or to those who fall under some other criteria not mentioned in this post? Or does it apply to everyone as the OP is implying in this thread?

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cabaret Voltaire
Now that you are FORCED to buy health insurance, how will you afford it?

Family Law Code of the many States already forced people to pay for health care insurance, yet with no options.

At least what Obama has done is change it to allow for options... even to pay a health care insurer of choice the family wants and not what the state wants the family to pay.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Just wanted to add something, I wanted to apologize to the OP for taking part in derailing his thread. Let me answer his original question... If i HAD to give up something to buy health insurance, it would definitely start with cable/satellite and phone service, these alone and maybe a slight reduction in entertainment or food (going out) would cover the rest.

As it stands now, My wife and I don't make enough money and we qualify for Medicaid (although we have not enrolled). It seems to me this entire process is to get a foot in the door, so to speak; let's give it some time to determine the real cost and effect of this policy and save the 'OMG HOW CAN I PAY FOR THIS?!' when you know how much it'll cost.

[edit on 22-3-2010 by badkarma1981]

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Let's eliminate a few of these:

Four hundred and three billionaires reside in the United States. They constitute just 0.00014 percent of the country’s total population, but control 8 percent of the national wealth. Each of these individuals holds over 300 million times more wealth than the average US resident. The list included 21 hedge fund managers, who as a group more than made up for whatever losses they incurred in 2008. Some of them, including James Simons, John Arnold, and George Soros, raked in profits during both the collapse and the market recovery. Topping the list of wealthiest hedge fund managers was John Paulson, at $32 billion. Paulson made billions in 2008 by betting that the housing market would collapse, and billions more through the stock market recovery of 2009. Only one of the 21 hedge fund managers on last year’s Forbes list fell off. This was Raj Rajaratnam of Galleon Group, who was arrested last year on charges of insider trading.

www.globalresearch.ca...

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by belial259

It will be FREE!..............FOR THE ILLEGAL ALIENS.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by badkarma1981
reply to post by FiatLux

Well, considering the national debt is currently ~12.6 Trillion USD, our GDP is 14.2 Trillion USD and, the government claims revenues of 1.9 Trillion USD... it really doesn't seem like we're that bad off. This number may continue to rise, however, it seems as if a majority of big ticket items are now taken care of, I doubt we'll see any large increases in the national debt anytime soon. (Obviously a lot of this is personal belief, and therefore, totally subjective.)

If we are not that bad off, then why are we only paying the interest on the national debt? It seems to me, that just like you or I, if we only pay on the interest of any loans we have, and not pay on the main balance of the loan, we will never get it paid off before we die, and then it falls on the backs of our children and grand children to pay on it. Why do we want to do that? Ask them if they don`t mind paying the rest of our loan off. See how far that gets you.

This thing of our government borrowing money everyday just to keep the country going will end very soon, and it won`t be a smooth stop when it happens.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   

But the stock market recovery itself is no accident; it was the direct outcome of policies pursued by both US political parties. The bailout has been financed by a policy of fiscal austerity and high unemployment. The rapid increase in the wealth of the billionaires is the result of the impoverishment of tens of millions; it is the other face of mass unemployment, poverty, utility shutoffs, and foreclosures. Aside from direct government handouts to the banks and super-rich, the major driver of the recovery of corporate profits—and thus the stock market—was productivity growth and corporate downsizing. In 2009, the unemployment rate rose from 7.7 to 10 percent, three million jobs were lost, and wages fell dramatically. Millions of families lost their homes and became dislocated. But productivity, the amount of output that is produced from each hour of work, rose by 7 percent.

www.globalresearch.ca...

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Cabaret Voltaire

I'm taking off work, getting a letter of job loss and going to get some free DC coverage. Now go do what tons of AIDs patients have done over the years, get a DC address, someone to verify you've lived there two years and rock on!
Woo hoo!

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Cabaret Voltaire

This is a rather stupid question. Since I'm already paying for healthcare...

Or do you mean the deadbeats who don't pay for healthcare today but leach off the system when they get tragically ill?

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   

You have to pay rent/mortgage and utilities. Can't stop that.
You have to pay for transportation and food. Can't stop that.

Well thank goodness you can stop yourself, your spouse or your children from getting cancer, or some other bankrupting illness...thank god that's completely within your control or you'd really be up the creek!!!

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by ChemBreather

Please do butt in things can get a little crazy in here.
An objective perspective from someone outside the states is always welcome.

OP and every one else- are you already paying for health care with your employer, directly from the insurance companies, or from the state you live in?

[edit on 22-3-2010 by js331975]

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Now that you are FORCED to buy health insurance, how will you afford it?

Im already forced to pay for car insurance that I have never claimed against in almost 20 years. At least this thing I am forced to pay for may actually be of use to me now and then.

Where was all this outrage when the insurance companies arranged it so we HAD to carry automobile insurance?

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Ron Paul : Healthcare Is Not A Right

a great speech and a great interview with FOX , Ron Paul rocks as always

ronpaul1.blogspot.com...

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join