It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If Presented With the Choice: A Lifetime of Monetary Wealth or ALL the Answers to the Universe?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
In the online world Google is God and already provides all of the answers.

Give me freedom, liberty, limited government, lower taxes and opportunity and I can build my own wealth the way it should be done.

As for the options of fantasy, first, prove that there is a God and that he has all of the answers, and I may consider that one.

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

I'm gonna say the money.

Sorry folks.

I don't want all the answers.

It would RUIN the journey IMO. I kind of like being left in the dark until I die or move on, or whatever there is on the other side.

The money however, would allow me to research and figure out the answers that we already know.

~Keeper

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I would have to go with all the answers, but then I would probably regret knowing everything...

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   

This would be an easy choice for me: a lifetime of monetary wealth.

I love the search for the answers of what is out there. If I knew all of them, my life would be boring. The best part of life is the quest for knowledge and where the path is taking us.

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Who wants to see a spoiler when they're half way through the movie?

Who wants to play their favourite game on god-mode?

So neither for me, thank you.

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   
with the knowledge of the universe you can be anything, anywhere.... you could ascend, change your DNA, create planets, stars, EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!
so definitely going with the universe's knowledge

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Give me the money...and I'll buy the answers.

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
As if that's even a choice. I'd settle for even a billionth of the answers. Money is one thing I hate above all else, and holds no value to me.

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   
All the answers or all the wealth would put a cap on it in my mind. All the wealth would be isolating, as well as having all the answers. I prefer to put no cap on flourishing, unraveling wonder.

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Neither.

Money sucks and I don't need it(well, They tell me I do but whatever) and I doubt my puny human brain could handle all the answers to (Life), the Universe( and Everything).

Anyway, I already know that answer, it's 42.

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   
The latter choice. Simple.

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   
The knowledge would become more than a burden, think of all the requests for help and aid you'd receive from people unable to think for themselves and when they come to you with moral decisions over love lives etc.

I agree with the "Bruce Almighty" depiction of omniscience. Knowing all the rules and dimensions would first of all make your head explode (figuratively) or drive you to insanity, and the ability to use that knowledge for the good of mankind is another issue entirely.

You'd probably get annoyed with humanity for not being at the level you are at mentally and just get frustrated.

I'm young (in my view anyway) and have more of my life infront of me than has passed (I hope!), if you knew everything you'd know when you died as well surely, as well as your colleagues and friends and wouldn't necessarily be able to save them, you would seek to influence how death works and therefore they wouldn't die the original way that the universe had "planned" as such..

You can't teach people the gift of immortality (if it exists) because of the overpopulation issues (or would food "pills" be viable?) and not having the infrastructure (yet) to colonise other planets (if this is even possible.)

It also brings up the issue of free will? If you can stop someone from crossing a road and they would have gotten run over, what would happen, you cant physically save everyone at once, I haven't explained this free will stuff very well but hopefully someone else can make a better analogy..

That said you would know whether there was an after life or not and wouldn't have the pressure or living this life the best you could (alternatively you could encourage people to live amicably and lie to the masses and say there is only one life.)

You would know about whether life on other planets existed and if they had at all been here before, or whether we are indeed the first species to develop this sort of intellect (I know Drake's equation says the probability of this is probably low given certain variables, but come on, some species has to be the first, why not us or a more evolved version of humans at some point in the future?).

You'd also have to deal with the knowledge that if the governments HAD lied about UFOs and ET Species and what happened to the dinosaurs! then they would seek to exterminate you as well probably to maintain "order". (Would the answers to the universe give one physical protection in the form of telepathy, or would one be silenced like many people before to maintain the peace and have that knowledge lost?)

Its a hugely interesting topic I think with no definitive answers.

I don't think we're ready personally (any humans) for that sort of knowledge but maybe one day we could comprehend that things are like this for a reason and couldn't be any other way.

Some days I do feel like a God (in a weird way) and certain religions define humans as the Gods in this universe (even Islam to an extent I think?), but then I look around at the world and think, how can we be Gods when there are so many problems. (Does there need to be chaos for order to be existant, are we that bad a species or is this a sort of universal balance?)

Sorry was gonna post shorter but maybe I got a bit carried away and off-topic trying to say whats on my mind.

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Before looking at anyone's answers...For me, the answer is easy. Monetary wealth. Not because I want to be exceedingly wealthy, but because I don't want to know everything. I believe our goal is to learn, and then perhaps to realize what is really important in the package. The journey is just as important as the goal.

And beside, I don't think knowing all would be possible; one must close off parts of the mind to experience some things.

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I already know everything...'Sho-Me the Money'!

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Well- I have NO doubt in my mind!!!!

I want all the answers in the universe.
thank you
:p

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Nobody likes a know-it-all. Besides, I think it would be boring living in a world with no mysteries or unanswered questions.

I'd take the money in a heartbeat.

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Money comes and money goes - give me THE KNOWLEDGE!

I'm an engineer - I like how stuff works.

Why does knowledge have to be 'bad' anyway?

Most of us know how 99% of things work in our particular universes - does it make it any less fun?

I know how my car works - I still like my car.

I have a rather cynical view of life, yet I am still hopeful.

You have to know the negative anyway - so you can fix it

And if everything were positive then some of that positive would appear less positive and become negative.

Therefor, no money would ever be enough.

You can always recoup money but you can never get back your time.

Its a rather circular question though overall. Money does not buy happiness though.

Think carefully on how you spend your time.

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Our minds are too delicate to know every little detail of the universe. As much as I would like to know it would surely drive you insane. Think I would have to take the money though it could drive you insane as well.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join