It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If Presented With the Choice: A Lifetime of Monetary Wealth or ALL the Answers to the Universe?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I was in one of my moments of pondering recently, as I do on occasion, and I thought to myself "how utterly awesome would it be to know everything there is to know about our Universe that man has pondered or will in the future". When I say "everything" I mean all the questions, theories, and "what if's" that presently science, more so humanity, has been unable to solve.

As I pondered this, I wondered what this knowledge would be worth. I thought to myself, "If I was the richest man in the world, who would never want for anything from birth until death, I would give it all up just to know the answers to our Universe".

After more thought. I felt there really is no value per se, that one could place on possessing such knowledge, as a species, let alone an individual, because to possess such knowledge would in fact be priceless.

HaHa I just thought of a funny...

A fleet of Space Shuttles to send your species into space? Billions and Billions of Dollars.

A manned orbiting ISS to observe your planet from the stars? Billions and Billions of Dollars.

A slew of observational satellites to probe the wonderment's of your Solar System? Billions and Billions of Dollars.

ALL the answers to the Universe? Priceless!!

Okay, well it was a little funny to me

This brings me to the reason I posted this, I want to get a grasp of where fellow ATS members stood on this hypothetical question and if they were presented with the aforementioned choice, what would they choose? I feel by the responses that this thread receives, one will clearly be able to determine those that live in the "here & now" from those that "question what is beyond", among other variables as this is of course ATS.

I realize that I didn't leave much room for lengthy responses as I only asked for a simple answer to a hypothetical question, however if you should choose to do so, please indicate why you chose the way you did...or not, it's your post.

On that note, Thank you for taking the time to read and/or respond to this thread, I will see you in the Forums.

UberL33t

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

No thinking time needed...definitely the latter.

Besides, if wealth was your kick, with ALL the knowledge of the Universe at your disposal, making wealth wouldn't be a tricky feat.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
I would choose all the answers of the universe, 100%. With all my questions answered, I can keep my mind of doing the other things I love. Skydiving, MMA ect.. Imagine a world where you know everything. To me that would be better than a trillion dollars. Seriously if I got offered a trillion dollars, or every question I can think of answered TRUTHFULY, I would defiantly pick the knowledge route. Plus who needs money when you know everything in the universe? You can make a system better then money, and rule the world

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Monetary wealth does sound good. If I had the answers to all the questions in the universe does that include me making myself rich? Would I be better off not knowing anything and have my family taking care of through money? My brain will explode. OK Ignorance is bliss. I am taking the money.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   
I don't think I'd choose either, although if forced to choose one or the other, I'd go with wealth, as I could probably help out a bucketload of people.

All the answers to the universe and everything that is? I wouldn't want that. I think it would be boring and somewhat lonely to be a god.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by kenny71

does that include me making myself rich?

Ehh, I think with that knowledge, it would be more of a fame thing as opposed to being able to capitalize off of it. Although I am sure there would be the inevitable "interview" sessions that would ensue upon the public's awareness of your knowledge. As far as the hypothetical goes, if you choose one way, then you forfeit the other so to speak.

reply to post by argentus

I think it would be boring and somewhat lonely to be a god.

I would have to disagree here, knowing, and being, are two completely different things. Albeit the potential for a "God like" complex, making the choice to know the answers wouldn't come with any sort of divinity, it would just be knowledge.

link   
Good thread idea. I think I would like a non-argiculturally based society; in which case I think we would all just be bartering.

link   
ovesly some ppl realy could use knolage.
ill take the knolage of all once i have taht ill know all the lotto numbers anyway so the wealth will come.
and even if i dont know lotto numbers knowing all means i could get any job any ware at all getting payed millions a year will work just as well.
or just invent coldfusion aaa choices choices so easy if your mr know it alll lolol

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   
I'd take the money.

Knowing that kinda joojoo could make the universe implode or something.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Give me the knowledge! With all that knowledge at my disposal all the monetary wealth in the world would be absolutely useless! You would know everything that all the elites and the sheep could only dream of knowing, and they would all gladly share their wealth with you for just a glimpse of the knowledge you would possess.

Not only that if the statement "knowledge is power" is true you would have god like status amongst even the wisest of all time. Just imagine all the things you would be able to answer at the snap of your fingers that scientist sometimes dedicate their entire lives to and never fully understand. It would be amazing!

Edit to say: If you chose money you are obviously very short sighted. Just imagine with all the knowledge in the universe at the drop of a hat you could single handedly solve all energy issues, hunger, housing you name it. You could solve or help solve all the problems plaguing civilisation today. (or atleast a good majority of them)

[edit on 3/19/2010 by SpaDe_]

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Easy for me.

All the answers of the universe.

I have learned a lot in my 63 years. Once you acquire material possessions - your life becomes about protecting and holding on to those possessions.

When you have nothing. Life is about love - life - and family.

Edit - I hate spelling errors.

[edit on 19-3-2010 by Annee]

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Tough question. I would say that I would like to have the answers to the universe but say if I were to then and there is a God, and then 100% I knew it, I would believe for the wrong reasons and probably fail this test we call life because of it. Honestly I don't think the mass majority of humanity could truly handle the TRUTH

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Tell me: Who was the richest person in the world when the Buddha or Leonardo da Vinci was alive?

Money brings sycophantic fame, knowledge brings enlightenment.

Knowledge is the only thing that cannot be taken away from you.

I would rather all the knowledge of the universe and the personal peace that would provide VS billions of dollars and the perpetual paranoia over protecting/holding on to it. Remember, when your poor and unhappy money seems like the end all be all, but what about when you rich and still unhappy?

What do you turn to then?

[edit on 19-3-2010 by [davinci]]

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   
All the answers to the universe. Knowledge is the wealthiest form of currency one can have.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   
I'd take the money for unexplained reasons.
Because after I get all the answers the life would be meaningless and instead I can use the money to help animals who would otherwise not benefit from the answers if I so chose too get.

[edit on 19-3-2010 by December_Rain]

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   
"He is richest who is content with the least."

If you had wisdom,you'd know that money doesn't guarantee happiness.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Neither of them.

As Annee said, possesions don't lead to happiness. The ego always wants something, if it could have everything it would go nuts or be bored fast.

Now the knowledge of everything sounds tempting, but as long as i have such a primitive ego, i wouldn't be safe from corruption. I think i couldn't handle it, and there's probably a reason why we don't know everything yet. Ultimate power with such a primitive egoistic mind? No thanks. Look at the world what humans have done with that limited knowledge, now imagine that with ultimate knowledge. The existence would be in danger

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Answers baby answers!!!

I would do whatever is necessary to know what the heck is going on on this planet of ours. I think we would all be surprised if we knew the real truth.

Of course money ain't bad either!!

Good question........lol

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   
I'd take all the answers to the universe... then sell the information in bits and pieces to the public. Just think of all the revenue! Public appearances at 100,000 dollars a pop, private phone conversations for 500 dollars an hour, books and CDs for just 10 easy installments of $99.99! I'd put Sylvia Browne out of business in a day!

No, wait! I'd start a religion! History has proven L. Ron right when he said, "The way to make a million dollars is to start a religion." I'd change a few facts around, then drain the bank accounts of my followers, all the while selling the true secrets of the universe under a pseudonym to the nonbelievers... all for 10 easy installments of $99.99! Now that's how you corner the market!

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

That's an easy one; all the answers in the universe. If I had all the answers in the universe I would know how to become wealthy for the rest of my life.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join