It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FNORD

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Any of you heard of this word "FNORD"? It supposedly has some secret meaning within the illuminati or something. People who claim to know the meaning of this word usually say "Your not cleared for that". Do a websearch on it, you'll find some strange stuff.

CC

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Read The Illuminatus Trilogy by Robert Shea and Robert Anton Wilson. In the book, the word "Fnord" is hidden in newspapers, usually following a story, or in the middle of it. This is done through hypnosis to all of us when we are children, therefore we don't notice them, but we still read them and they make us feel even more nervous about the events printed in the papers. Only when you become "Illuminated" and are no longer under the influence of the conditioning that was done to you as a child, you "see the Fnords".

As far as historically, I know that the word is associated somehow with the Illuminati, but I'm not sure how.

Side note: the Fnords are not real, it is simply in a book.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 01:24 AM
link   
So Wilson didn't make up this word|? I was under the impression that he did, but I can't make out some of hte factual stuff on the Illuminati from the Illuminatus Trilogy. Its a damn good book, but its hard to follow fact from fiction in some instances.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Hail Eris...

- snickers -

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 07:43 PM
link   

So Wilson didn't make up this word|? I was under the impression that he did

That's what Rocker said

Of course, if you haven't read the Illuminatus trilogy, the meaning of "fnord" is meant to be a surprise; while it is very often used in the book, you don't find out until about the 400th page in.

scf

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Fnord is actually mentioned in the Principia Discordia (yeah, it's a real book). The Principia was written by Kerry Thornley (Thornley was also a suspect, briefly, in the Kennedy Assasination, but that's another post) and Greg Hill. They published the first edition in 65 (5 copies of course fnord).

Sooooo, fnord predates Illuminatus! by about 10 years.

I've been told fnord has been used by Burroughs, which would predate The Principia, but I haven't read enough of his long works to verify it.

[edit on 7/6/04 by scf]

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Strangely, Fnord is also a mathmatical system. Go to this link:
draves.org...

Robert Walker O'Neal, MS-M
www.onealclan.com

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by scf
I've been told fnord has been used by Burroughs, which would predate The Principia, but I haven't read enough of his long works to verify it.
[edit on 7/6/04 by scf]

Now that is funny - I swear this was my avatar & sig before I read this thread!!

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 11:18 PM
link   
info.astrian.net...
From the Jargon Dictionary

fnord

n. [from the "Illuminatus Trilogy"] 1. A word used in email and news postings to tag utterances as surrealist mind-play or humor, esp. in connection with Discordianism and elaborate conspiracy theories. "I heard that David Koresh is sharing an apartment in Argentina with Hitler. (Fnord.)" "Where can I fnord get the Principia Discordia from?" 2. A metasyntactic variable, commonly used by hackers with ties to Discordianism or the Church of the SubGenius.

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by JamesLimelight
Hail Eris...

All hail discordia.

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Not to keep bumping the board, but...

can you get a copy of the Principia Discordia (aforementioned on a prior post to this thread)? Is it readily available, say at amazon.com or should I poke around amongst the specialty book retailers?

Thanks.
-m.

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by mauskov
Not to keep bumping the board, but...

can you get a copy of the Principia Discordia (aforementioned on a prior post to this thread)? Is it readily available, say at amazon.com or should I poke around amongst the specialty book retailers?

Thanks.
-m.

I think you can get one for free online - poke around a bit...

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 09:23 AM
link   

No, no, no! Buying the PD breaks all the rules of Discordianism. There are a few versions circulating around the net in PDF format. Snag one of those. fnord

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Oh. How silly of me.

www.google.com...

Good golly, miss molly. There seems to be a bit of the DP floating around.
I know you can get it at amazon.com, too, though..horrors..that would, of course, be purchasing it. Hm.

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 10:35 PM
link   
From what I was reading on different websites, FNORD is a word abundantly placed in the text of newspapers and magazines and we are somehow trained at an early age to not 'see' the word, but the appearance of the word causes us confusion and uneasiness??

Then i found the following:

"It is implied that fnord is not the actual word used for this task; it is a substitute since the actual word would not be able to be detected by most readers."

Very interesting...if "fnord" is not the actual word, I wonder what the real one is (not that we would be able to see it according to the definition).

What do any of the secret societies have to gain by doing this?

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by jlg414
Very interesting...if "fnord" is not the actual word, I wonder what the real one is (not that we would be able to see it according to the definition).

What do any of the secret societies have to gain by doing this?

I feel it is important to remind you that "fnord" and the idea of placing the word in newspapers, etc., is wholly fictional. As has been said at least a few times in this thread, the concept of "fnord" appears (as fiction) in The Illuminatus Trilogy, a book by Robert Anton Wilson and Robert Shea.

So to review, "fnord" is not real. Really.

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Yes it is. It's real. I read it in a book.

Mavis and Stella are WHAT?!?!

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by RockerDom
Mavis and Stella are WHAT?!?!

Mmmmmmm. Mavis and Stella.

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 02:11 PM
link   

can you get a copy of the Principia Discordia (aforementioned on a prior post to this thread)? Is it readily available, say at amazon.com or should I ...

I don't mean to be rude, but are you really asking us to look on Amazon FOR YOU?
That's really amusing. It's bad enough when people don't want to use the search function on ATS, but to ask about the availability of a book...I could see if you couldn't find it on Amazon and then asked ATS.

[edit on 16-6-2004 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Now i would like to say, im new at this forum so be gentle please!

I believe that FNORD is used when you are speaking of something that is far out like illuminati or mind control you put the word FNORD in front it to let people know that you are joking or talking about something far out�An example:

*FNORD*

Have you heard? The men in black made a raid in my apartment the other day; they confiscated all my secret files on the new world order agenda�

*FNORD*

If you can�t see the FNORD it can�t hurt you. Don�t see the FNORD don�t see the FNORD�

Those who danced were considered insane by those who could not hear the music.

Baron Bilbo Baggins
Bilbo's Empire of the Neutral Zone

PS: The FNORD predates PD and Illuminati trilogy.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join