It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ok, "The Fourth Kind", explain the "hoax"? (The owls are not what they seem)

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I guess the difference between this and Blair Witch was Blair witch claimed to be real. Even from the special on the discovery channel. It was the greatest hoax in the entertainment industry since Orson Welles and War of the Worlds...

The 4th Kind, even from the trailers never claimed to be real. I never thought it was real. Based on true events... Umm ok, so was the X Men. There are human mutations occurring all the time, just nobody shooting fire out of their eyeballs.

I think you want to believe. I think you have a very active imagination. But I don't they in any way shape or form represented this movie as being real. The excorcist was based on a real case with the same claim, I never thought it was real.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 03:29 AM
link   
Until just now, i hadnt even known it was being considered to be a hoax.. but, then again there are many 'based on true events' films that..well.. arent..
Having watched The Fourth Kind not long ago, the mental image of a smiling owl will disturb me for some time to come!! But its also intrigued me that its being dubbed a 'hoax', i will look for any info on this and will post links if i am able to find anything of interest for you

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   
I just have one question that doesn't make sense to me...Why would they make an alien movie (to prove alien abductions) to look like the most clear and real case of demon possesion I have EVER seen. Are they trying to make it look like demons are really aliens??

I mean if NONE of it was real, then why make the "real footage" look EXACTLY like demon possesion?? Why not just show them floating away in a beam of light, OR show some blurry physical "being" coming into the room when that dude started floating. Can anyone explain this to me.

For an "alien abduction" movie, I sure did come away thinking "obviously demon possesion." why the blurring?

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrJay1975
I guess the difference between this and Blair Witch was Blair witch claimed to be real.

The 4th Kind, even from the trailers never claimed to be real.

I'm not in a position at this point to believe the movie is 100% real (I think there is a good probability of the story being real, but I'm leaning toward it being somewhere else with different people etc) However...

There's no way you actually watched the movie tho....Because there is a short segment before the movie even starts that provides the claim, clearly and in-depth that there is "real footage" in this film. The whole movie is essentially a side-by-side comparison of actors and so-called "real footage." The entire foundation of the movie was based on this "real footage/audio" Just sayin!

[edit on 31-3-2010 by Wookiep]

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

They also posted FAKE news articles and claimed those were real so what does that tell you about claims made within the context of that movie?

There is nothing resembling any of this going on in Nome.
There is not one of these cases documented anywhere outside of this movie.
There is plenty to show that Universal perpetrated hoaxes as part of the marketing, promotion of, and production of this film

What else does anyone need to say?

Here is a letter from Universal apologizing for the fake news.

"An early element of the online promotional campaign for 'The Fourth Kind' used stories published by some news outlets without permission and inaccurately attributed other stories to papers that were not their origin. When Universal Pictures came to recognize this tactic as overzealous, it immediately removed these stories from the Internet well before the film's release and entered into a mutually satisfactory resolution with the outlets. The film itself challenges conventional beliefs by presenting cases of alien abduction and asking viewers to make up their own minds about its content. Universal regrets that this isolated element of the marketing for the film took this speculation a step too far."

[edit on 31-3-2010 by K J Gunderson]

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by K J Gunderson

Look KJ, I'm not arguing the bad marketing schemes involved in the release of this film. I think it's a shame to be honest. It's far WORSE than blair witch IMHO.

There are some interesting things about this movie that riddle me with questions, however. Your whole attitude on this (toward me specifically) is almost trying to make me out to be an obsessed loon over a "movie". I am not. I simply think some aspects about the movie, it's claims and the content within that raises an eyebrow for me. I'm not going to argue back and forth with you about how you're 100% sure it's just hollywood (in which case, I think you are largely correct) and how Charolette michard and the opinions of movie critics are gospel, and I'm a nut.

What I do get, is your opinion on the matter. So, thanks!

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

I am not trying to make you out to be a nut at all. If you are getting that, that is all you. I am simply pointing out that there is NO REASON whatsoever to believe one thing about this movie is real. NOTHING! NADA! ZIP! ZILTCHO!

I am not sure how pointing these things out becomes labeling you but whatever.

I just do not understand why anyone - if you happen to be one of them, then you can feel targeted all you like but this is not personally about you - anyone at all would even bother to question if anything in this movie is real. Why would you? Where are your posts about how "Die Hard" or "Scream" may have been rooted in reality?

This is what I do not understand and would like to. You do not have to be the voice of that answer, you are choosing to.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Well, I wouldn't really call it a hoax. That would be like calling the movie "Fargo" a hoax because at the beginning, text pops up saying, "Based on a true story" when it is in fact entirely fictional. It's just an artistic/marketing thing. Maybe MORE of a marketing thing. And the makers of the movie 4th kind ADMITTED it was fake. They almost got into trouble because they tricked so many people. And the thing about the owl, I would recommend you read the book by John E. Mack M.D. I think it's called Alien Abduction. Anyway he made popular the technique for hypnotizing abductees. And in the book, it explains that people see the aliens as animals sometimes. Either because they are so afraid due to undergoing "ontological shock" that their brain will not process the image properly, or because the "aliens" have the ability to shape-shift. I can't remember if an owl was ever mentioned in the book I read, but I do have a feeling the makers of this movie have read this book. I am really eager to read the second book he wrote on the subject. He was sadly hit by a drunk driver while walking I believe. He was killed. I didn't hear any other details except that his family wanted to discourage any conspiracy theories. Whatever that means. I'm assuming they said this as a reaction to the family receiving calls or letters bringing up theories surrounding his death because of the material he worked with (of the hundreds of abductees he put under, many of the ones who were included in the book speak of being shown things by the aliens, some were concerning the future and some spoke of mistakes our leaders are making, and evil technologies they are creating without our knowing), but who knows, maybe they said this to try to get someone to investigate. But my feeling is that, since his research started like 20+ yrs ago, maybe his family thought he was crazy for even entertaining the notion. Funny thing is, he went into his research to try to help these people, he never believed it was real until he realized people were saying the same things even though he knew there was no way they could have met in order to make up a story together. And it was other things. But even after acknowledging that "something was happening", that's as far as he would go was to say that it was "something". He never said he thought they were aliens. And what's even funnier and stinks more of a conspiracy, was how, even though he was obviously very careful even in his wording to be a proffessional, his colleagues and higher-ups at Harvard conspired to have him reprimanded for pursuing this line of work. They were unsuccessful in having him silenced in the legal way. Unfortunately, they may have succeeded that fateful night when he was hit by a drunk driver. Although the drunk driver was supposedly caught. But how hard is it to get a guy black out drunk(they could slip something in his drink to MESS HIM UP), have him wake up the next day in a jail cell and tell him he hit a guy last night. Anyway, it's a good book. And I'm surprised I haven't heard Mack's name on this forum.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 12:33 AM
link   

I'm only going to say this, KJ. I think I've given pretty good examples as to what baffles me most on this matter, however I will give you my take once again so that maybe you can understand.

Perhaps this movie takes the cake in it's marketing campaign or whatever it was they did to promote this film. It cannot be compared with "the exorsist" or "Blair witch" because there is an element in this film that is MUCH different from those.

#1 The producer NEVER (and still hasn't) claimed the falsehood of this film. (check the link in the OP where it was admitted quite quickly from the blair witch producer WAY before the DVD was even released. In fact, I saw that movie in the theatre opening night and found out that_night that it was never "real".)

#2 The actors/actresses in the "the fourth kind" STILL have not been credited in the film. If the claim about Charollete IS true then I'm disgusted by the scheme and will concede that the "real footage" is fake too. None of the *other* "actors" in the "real footage" have even been researched, there has been NOTHING to credit anything to them. Not by the producers, not by the "actors" not by IMDB, just by critics and people on websites like ATS.

#3 No other film that I know of, created a specific segment to address the "real footage" and "audio" you_are_about_to_see/hear (which really hasn't been discussed here, namely audio) and the rest of the "60+ hours of recorded hypnotherapy sessions and audio" (as claimed by this segment before the movie). No other film claimed so much "real" evidence so to speak and furthermore did NOT admit to it being a false set-up.

Now, I'm sorry that I don't have the wisdom you have, but I'm equally puzzled by the fact that you "wonder why" people may be asking questions about this movie, and yes, I am included in this bunch. So, send me to the funnyfarm because God forbid some of us may be intrigued by a very interesting screening about something that thousands upon thousands of people have claimed to have experienced.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by doctor j and inmate c5779

And the makers of the movie 4th kind ADMITTED it was fake.

In all fairness they did not. They admitted that the online websites were fake during the marketing campaign. I still have not seen ANY claims by the makers that the "real footage" was fake.

Again, I'm not saying I know 100% it was real, but I need something solid to believe it was fake. If it turns out they do admit it was fake?? Again, I would say this ranks "the fourth kind" #1 in BS marketing, not only that but COMPLETELY misleading the subject matter of this film WITHIN it's content, and would only taint my view of hollywood or ANYTHING produced for T.V. or otherwise, (with public diclaimers) as serious potential rubbish.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wookiep

I'm only going to say this, KJ. I think I've given pretty good examples as to what baffles me most on this matter, however I will give you my take once again so that maybe you can understand.

Perhaps this movie takes the cake in it's marketing campaign or whatever it was they did to promote this film. It cannot be compared with "the exorsist" or "Blair witch" because there is an element in this film that is MUCH different from those.

Look. You do not need to use so many words. You have made your case very very clear. You believe that this movie might contain some truth because the people making money off of it have not gone out of their way to say it is not true. Got it.

So "The Sixth Sense" might be just as real to you? There are movies made every day. I am having trouble find the place where all the producers go to explain that the movie is fiction.

If you want to believe something ONLY because no one admitted it was not true, even though they lied to tell it, then you are a fool.

Evidence shows the claims made are false. They got caught making up FAKE news articles. There is not one report from NOME in any UFO community that coincides with anything in this movie.

It is a movie with no reason to believe in it whatsoever but you have decided to believe some of it anyway until the producers tell you it was fake. I guess the facts will not get in your way then.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

and conversley - i cannot find the alleged people from the alleged " real footage " credited , such as :

Dr A tyler ............ Herself .

this is std practice in docudramas where the featured person appears in one scene and an actor protrays them in another as thier ` younger self `

so the IMDB credits list cuts both ways

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   

I'm sorry I used "too many words" for you. I figured you wanted a clearer explanation. Anyway, like I said before, I understand your position. I haven't let any facts slide by. I find some elements intriguing and enough for some digging. Was there anything else?

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   
You wanna know the biggest thing that sent alarm bells going off in my head? At the very beginning of the credits it clearly says:

Story by:
such
and
such

I'm almost kinda glad it's a hoax. It's almost not as terror inducing....ALMOST. This movie scared the bajezzus out of me. It reminded me of the book Communion, which also scared the heck out of me.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Know what I thought of when I saw it. That kid that shot up his school that used to post on here.

I remember a thread he made here prior to the shootings that was about him seeing a white owl. If I remember right he was thinking it was a bad omen or something. Weird..

edit to add: Link

[edit on 3-4-2010 by Digital_Reality]

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Digital_Reality

You say he posted it on here? Would be interesting to see that thread!

Edit: nope that wasn't it.. I'll see if I can dig it up

[edit on 4-4-2010 by Wookiep]

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

Found it!
link

Looking back on that thread gives me the hebegebees.

[edit on 4-4-2010 by Digital_Reality]

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Digital_Reality

oh! lol I found that link too but took it out of my edit since his last logon was 2005..

Edit#2 Oh wow! Ok got the date from Wiki - march 21st 2005! (his last sign-on date) Tragic!
and errie to boot!

[edit on 4-4-2010 by Wookiep

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 12:14 AM
link   
This is pretty bizzare...coincidantal to say the VERY least....but reading one of his threads it has a theme to it that is VERY similar to the fourth kind

Strange!

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

Yeah tragic. I guess one could say in his case the owl was a very bad omen. Sorry to derail.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join