It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

‘Deep flow’ migrates deeper into the universe

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   
It truly is amazing that our Sun and Solar System are just one of estimated two hundred billion in our galaxy, and our galaxy is just one of the hundred billion observable galaxies in the universe.

How can a whole bunch of something (matter) be flying around so fast in a bunch of nothing (space)? Haha. The blackness of space never ends, what is it and how long as it been there? If empty space is nothing how did it a bunch of something get created inside of it? Why is the universe mainly made up of nothing?

It is like our observable universe is in a giant, never-ending pitch black room. The only reason there is light in the universe is because of matter that swirls around enough to create energy and stars. Can we ever escape the nothingness of the black space?

I am all for the theory that the universe is infinitely small and infinitely big. Atoms are more than 99% empty space and so is our universe. If you pulled back and looked at our entire universe the same way we look at an atom or a galaxy, you would probably see more universes speeding and swirling around ours. If you stepped back and looked at all of the universes together they would create something equally proportional to the 99% empty space as seen in an atom. I wonder if our level is the only level that can sustain life.

Anyway, now my mind is spinning as fast as the deep flow migration of galaxy clusters though the universe. Thanks

[edit on 19-3-2010 by tooo many pills]

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Phew, kind of scary.

Maybe i'll try a theory... why not?

Universes are like bubbles in a bath.
Another universe has collided with ours, puncturing whatever
encases our universe.
And now, anything near the damage is being sucked out into the abyss in between universes.

Imagine that eh?

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kandinsky
reply to post by Pauligirl

‘Deep flow’ migrates deeper into the universe Galaxy clusters zooming through space at speeds more than 1 million mph!!! OMG!!!

Hiya PG, just doing my usual SnF for one my favourite members...bit of a drive-by posting as it's hard to be constructive on such grand-scale inexplicability...

We've got a leak in here somewhere or those distant galaxies have found a better party to attend. Seriously...it's fascinating information and way beyond my limited comprehension or understanding of astrophysics. Cool thread

Thanks! This one is waaaaay over my head. I can hold it up and point to it, but that's about it. I'm just glad others found it interesting.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by tooo many pills

Don't think to big now, your head might explode haha!

It could just keep going like that, different levels of universes.
Perhaps when we are observing an atom, we are observing a universe.
that would be wild, wonder what would be observing US...

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Alexander the Great

I know we and the Earth could easily just be a science project similar to growing a colony of ants. The giant school girl-alien didn't like how mean the dinosaurs were so she killed them and we sprung up. Now all her classmates and teachers are crowding around looking at us saying, "Look at how smart they are getting!" "Oops, now they are fighting each other again..."

If the universe was infinitely small and infinitely big, I think every level would be completely different. Like in a galaxy matter is swirling around a black hole, and in an atom energy is swirling around the nucleus. Each level is similar that they are more than 99% empty space, but that small less-than 1% actually creates an infinite amount of anomalies because of the vast size difference when comparing the amount of matter that is compiled to create the next levels.

[edit on 19-3-2010 by tooo many pills]

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

"They discovered that the clusters were moving nearly 2 million mph (3.2 million kph) toward a region in the sky between the constellations of Centaurus and Vela. This motion is different from the outward expansion of the universe (which is accelerated by the force called dark energy).

"We found a very significant velocity, and furthermore, this velocity does not decrease with distance, as far as we can measure," Kashlinsky told SPACE.com. "The matter in the observable universe just cannot produce the flow we measure."

Its not moving in the same direction as the observed outward expansion like every other galatic cluster we have measured. Its moving in a different direction. Thats whats cool about it.

[edit on 20-3-2010 by garritynet]

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 04:14 AM
link   
Somthing I have not seen mentioned in this thread is the speed we move at. Earth moves around the sun. The sun moves around the galaxy and in turn the galaxy moves around the universes centre.

This means we all spiral through space moving at different speeds in many directions which I guess means we have differing time frames.

Calculating anything relative to us does not appear to me to even begin to describe the true story.

I make no claims to any knowledge in this subject as the above probably shows.

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by colin42

While it is true that we as a planet are orbiting the sun which is orbiting the Milky Way, the galaxy is not orbiting the universe. Galaxies are bound together in clusters though gravity. Here is a picture so you can see how they look as groups.

en.wikipedia.org...:Nearsc.gif

Every cluster we have measured has been seen as moving outwards. The idea has been that the planets, star systems, galaxies and clusters are all held together with gravity but that the clusters themselves are being seperated by the outward expansion of space time. Because this expansion is happening on all axis from any point you choose to observe from it would appear as if everything was moving away from that point.

map.gsfc.nasa.gov...

So far everything has appeared to move outward until we found this cluster. This single cluster is moving in a different direction than every other we have seen and moving pretty fast. We don't understand how that is possible.

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Thanks for the info. Got myself in a bit of a spin there with the centre of the universe.

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by garritynet

Actually, it is not a single cluster of galaxies but thousands of clusters which are seem to be demonstrating a general movement toward a central location. It's not that movement is supposed to be "outward", it is supposed to be random (and away from everything else). If the dark flow observations are a real phenomenon (not quite firmly established yet), there's something wacky going on.

[edit on 3/20/2010 by Phage]

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Thanks for the corrections. I felt a bit out of my depth offering an explaination on the dark flow, glad someone kept the facts straight.

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Thanks Phage, your brief explanation is way better than the more lengthy and apparently not that accurate article linked in the OP, but I should have known better than to trust that source for a good explanation of a science story.

After I read your post I looked for more information and among other things found this video on space.com which shows an inkling of the scope of what they observe, and as usual, you're right, it looks like numbers of galactic clusters involved. What's interesting about that is that the scale is large enough to where me might not be able to rule out the "dark energy" that is accelerating the overall expansion of the galaxy perhaps in a more concentrated form, though the way they illustrate it I have to say they make it look more like an attractive force than a repulsive force. Pointing to an egg-shape and calling that "direction of flow" like the video does is a less than crystal clear illustration in my opinion:

Video:
www.space.com...

But that video gives me a lot better idea about the claims anyway. It can be hard to tell what's happening in 4-D in a 2-D illustration like the one at the top of the article the OP links to, though they are trying to use color to show the 3rd dimension, it's not all that clear. The following video layers the movements of galactic clusters at different distances which gave me a better picture.

Originally posted by colin42
Somthing I have not seen mentioned in this thread is the speed we move at. Earth moves around the sun. The sun moves around the galaxy
You've already been corrected about our galaxy not rotating around the center of the universe, so let me just also correct you that harrytuttle did already mention our movement near the bottom of page 1. If the Milky Way collides with the Andromeda galaxy in a few billion years, we may have another motion to talk about as the two galaxies dance around each other post collision (if we are still around as a species that is, though even if we are we'd probably evolve into something else by then).

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   
"and the heavens departed like a scroll that is rolled up"

Haha! I love this kind of stuff, when science gets thrown a curve ball. Seems to be happening more frequently as of late.

Knowledge...is infinite friends.

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Centurionx
I love this kind of stuff, when science gets thrown a curve ball. Seems to be happening more frequently as of late.

of late? No, science has been getting these curveballs since its inception. We observe things, and go "how the hell could that be?!" And then the scientists try to figure out how it could be, and attempt to produce principles that describe what is observed. This demands the revision of the previous principles. Consider the discoveries of quantum physics; of relativism; of Newtonion gravitation; of the apparent epicycles which led to heliocentrism; of the end of faith in alchemy; of everything going back through the Greek philosophers. Curveballs are the very nature of scientific exploration.

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Solasis

I totally agree, it's a lot to learn, and this is just what men have compiled in a small fraction of time in the cosmic sense. What was it Socrates said? The only thought that consists of knowing is that you know nothing. Something to that effect..

top topics

<< 1   >>

join