It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Call for a United Global Space Agency

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Space. It's pretty spacious. Today, there are now more capable space agencies around the world than ever. China, India, and Japan are becoming major players beyond this rock. Even France has surrendered to the idea.

We may be Indian, Japanese, American or Iranian down here but out there we can all be Human. If we are going to expand to the stars we need to do it the right way and combine our resources and technology for space exploration, research, and eventual settlement. We don't need to take our petty squabbles and differences with us to other planets. Once we find neighbors in the cosmos it's not going to matter what country you are from, such distinction would be meaningless.

The combined budget for the world's space agencies is roughly $45 billion (USD). $45 Billion devoted to mankind's ultimate legacy is a shame considering over $1,000,000,000 (One Trillion) is spent annually ensuring we have the ability to eradicate each other from the globe.

Our Outer Space ambitions and capabilities are still relatively in their infancy, and if we do not take a unified step in space soon, then ultimately the only thing mankind will bring to the cosmos is war and hate. It's not the legacy I would like to leave.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
It's a bold and brave suggestion.

I have a feeling that we won't be seeing a bold and brave space agency like that seen in Star Trek, any time soon.

Even with $45 billion spent on space technology, it's just not profitable enough for governments to co-operate... at least not that we know of.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I totally agree Mr Andy! Just think how much money would be saved and how much nore could be accomplished if the nations pooled their ideas and resources. Unfortunately it would rob countries of individual prestige, politicians of their power and the military of advantage. So sadly it'll be a long time coming!

I loved this line...

Originally posted by MrAndy
Even France has surrendered to the idea.

Edit for typo

[edit on 18/3/10 by Insomniac]

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Space.

The combined budget for the world's space agencies is roughly $45 billion (USD). $45 Billion devoted to mankind's ultimate legacy is a shame considering over $1,000,000,000 (One Trillion) is spent annually ensuring we have the ability to eradicate each other from the globe.

I'm not getting my money's worth at all!
Sure we gotta pop up a satellite here and again.

Just suppose we spent all that money finding a clean sustainable fuel.
Perhaps we invest it in an electrical vehichle substructure.

I'm not saying we should not pursue another earth to spread our race on, but if that was the goal, shouldn't we develop some kind of "feasable" power system to get there?...now?
I mean this is the problem we can not seem to overcome, so give up with all the b/s. You are not going to get much farther than mars...and for what?

It seems we would rather go camping at the ISS in our "neat guy" space shuttles, or run our super cool rc rovers around some desert.

So unless this band of rocketeers was to going to look at things differently, I really think it's all a waste. The only saving grace would be the standardization of systems, so the cost of the toys would go down.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by dampnickers
It's a bold and brave suggestion.

I have a feeling that we won't be seeing a bold and brave space agency like that seen in Star Trek, any time soon.

I know for sure, it is only for the elite to get off this planet, even when we would invent something like warp drive.

I sometimes wish Gene didn't give us his dream, it's like the opposite of 1984, I truly wish to live in such a society.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Grey Magic

I dunno, the Federation's a littel creepy when you get down to it.

In fact the whole Star trek Universe is populated by one-world (and of course, multi-world) governments.

Woo woo woo!

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

Yeah in some points it is a bit indeed, but the real point is that the freedom to go almost wherever you want in the universe seems the ultimate freedom to me and that is a future I would want.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 02:45 AM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

That seems to be the norm in Sci Fi, a single planet typically dominated by one race, one government. I guess because its less complicated to write that way.

I don't think a one world government is ultimately necessary, though in space, I think it's going to be a lot different. Ronald Reagan said we would find unity if we were ever faced with an extra-terrestrial threat. The man was wrong about lots of things but I agree with him there. It's not going to matter whose religion or government is right when ten billion Klingons come knocking at our door.

Even if we are alone out there and each country does their own thing in space, we're only going to have further division from each other to the point where we become aliens to each other. We'd have Planet Mexico at war with Planet Canada.

And $44 billion is less than France spends militarily. That's a lot of money wasted on white flags right there.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Insomniac
I totally agree Mr Andy! Just think how much money would be saved and how much nore could be accomplished if the nations pooled their ideas and resources. Unfortunately it would rob countries of individual prestige, politicians of their power and the military of advantage. So sadly it'll be a long time coming!

I loved this line...

Even France has surrendered to the idea.

Edit for typo

[edit on 18/3/10 by Insomniac]

BUT, the military ISNT in charge..The ppl that votes is. If you want a
change change your vote, and if you are serious about change start
TALKING to your polititians, demand things, demand change. Thats
the only thing we CAN do.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Its not like there is a ton of redundant research going on anyway. The space exploration community knows its means are limited and they work together already. All on their own. They share data and make sure they don't waste prescious resources studing the same thing if its not needed. Its not 100% perfect but I think they are more of a community than we might give them credit for.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by MrAndy

" Ronald Reagan said we would find unity if we were ever faced with an extra-terrestrial threat."

I think he just assumed that they would kick our butts and enslave us. They we would all be seen as equals and work together under one government, theirs.

[edit on 19-3-2010 by garritynet]

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by garritynet
reply to post by MrAndy

" Ronald Reagan said we would find unity if we were ever faced with an extra-terrestrial threat."

I think he just assumed that they would kick our butts and enslave us. They we would all be seen as equals and work together under one government, theirs.

[edit on 19-3-2010 by garritynet]

Or it could be that he was talking about yet another upcoming false flag operation that had been planned from some time ago.

Perhaps even a plan that "aliens" land, take over, and enslave the general population; all the while, the elite live in their relative luxury, and comfort.

Call me paranoid and suspicious, but it just seems to fit the bill...

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 01:38 AM
link   

That's simply false.
Military funded R&D has given us most the the "space tech" we have today, including the biggest one, rockets.

I dont like the idea of a world space agency, being from the US I know that a little over a third of that 45 billion number is from the US alone. Look at the Space Station for example, the US built it and most of the components on it, and now the Russians are going to charge us a highly rate then normal paying customers to take their Soyuz up there since our space shuttles will be retired.
When you make something International...in never works out the way you planned...hell, look at the UN.

The US needs to go back to the Constellation plan, and not stick with Obama's (lack of) plan.

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 01:43 AM
link   
This is the only form of a global intergovernmental institution that I would support, IF the proper checks and balances are implemented and STRICTLY enforced.

I could not agree more with the notion that no one nation can represent humanity in the cosmos. It is among the few tasks that would require the cooperation of all nations and people. Indeed, it may be the only way to ensure a lasting peace on this Earth. Can you imagine a space agency that is as well funded as the US Military spread amongst the nations of the world?

We'd be colonizing planets in 25 years, stars perhaps in 75 - 125 years. Few acts by humanity would be equal in scope and potential, as it would greatly increase our understanding of our place in the universe and ensure our survival as a species.

[edit on 20-3-2010 by projectvxn]

[edit on 20-3-2010 by projectvxn]

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by MrAndy

Iv been saying this since the first time I watched Star Trek. It's something I hope for but don't think will happen in my lifetime.

top topics

join