It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Missing Fuel Tankers in San Antonio TX - Found in Laredo

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 05:56 AM
link   
Anyone wanna ship that tanker over to the UK, ill buy it lol Gasoline is $6.77 a gallon.

But theres no reason why tankers worth $11,000 or �50,000 shouldnt have GPS trackers with the disabled from a tracking centre feature now being fitted to new cars in the Uk.

But then again you take the cost of all stolen trucks minus the cost of fitting the system to all trucks, and you get the capatalist answer. The issue is the safety and possible terrorist activity these days. Only the gov' can persuade oil suppliers to do somthign about that.

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Ya know , maybe someone threw one hell of a BBQ over the holiday weekend. I don't know where those trucks are but I wouldn't mind having one parked out back.

It may be terrorist but its just as likely its theves who will sell the fuel in Mexico. You could run a very profitable business down there just selling the stolen canisters and refilling them. One thing is for sure, they had to go in hiding or south of the border because you aren't going to be able to drive cross country with the publicity.

To the guy who wants to call everyone but muslims terrorists, yeah, I think there is a difference between the common theif whos trying to profit and a militant islamist who means to kill thousands of innocent people for a religious or political agenda. There's a big difference and realizing the massive PR campaign underway to de-criminalize these militant islamist terrorist so they may further their agenda once more, I know why its tried everytime something suspicious comes up but come on, this is really reaching. No one's buying it and you shouldn't be selling it.

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Also under investigation is the weekend theft of 15 gas canisters from an ambulance supply company. "We think it is just a coincidence at this point," said Ortiz, who appeared at a Tuesday news conference. He said five of the stolen canisters were empty, but others contained nitrous oxide, carbon dioxide and oxygen. Patterson said the theft of the canisters was unusual and they could be used for improvised explosive devices.

Associated Press

--J1M

[Edited on 2-6-2004 by Just1Man]

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 02:04 PM
link   
The Propane trucks have been found!

SAN ANTONIO -- Two stolen propane trucks stolen from San Antonio and a subject of an FBI alert were found Wednesday, according to a TV station report.

FBI Agent-In-Charge Patrick Patterson confirmed to KSAT-TV in San Antonio that the trucks were found in a warehouse in Laredo, Texas. When they were stolen, they were carrying propane. It is unclear whether the explosive fuel is still on board.

Trucks Found

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Fuel is on board.... Still no evidence as to who was involved and what the motive was.

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Andy Robins

But then again you take the cost of all stolen trucks minus the cost of fitting the system to all trucks, and you get the capatalist answer. The issue is the safety and possible terrorist activity these days. Only the gov' can persuade oil suppliers to do somthign about that.

$6.77 a gallon? Well, at least you guys get free health coverage. I guess it all works out in the end......

The Govt could give tax incentives to companies to put GPS technology on sensitive materials. Or they could make it a case for national security.... maybe both?

My gut feeling is that this was a crime ring that did not expect this much heat when they stole the trucks. You can't be too careful nowadays.

[Edited on 2-6-2004 by Facefirst]

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 02:08 AM
link   
I talked to a few Texans, apparently the people that said this happens rather frequently were right. . .

Texans were like "Dude, if you only knew how often tankers get missing. . ."

Which still illicits a resounding "WTF?!" from me. When a coupla thousand pounds of fuel can disappear and most people say/think "Oh well, it'll turn up, happens all the time," I find this disturbing.

Not many Americans were afraid of terrorists in airplanes (Terrorist hijackers usually practiced "Catch and Release" hostage taking, if I remember correctly), box cutters, or skyscrapers back in 2000.

--J1M

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Actually, many over the road feight companies use GPS tracking to both keep and eye on the driver's personal mileage and for navigation purposes. Most US county and city snow plows are now outfitted with GPS and radio dispatched for better efficiency in the areas they cover. I don't think it would be that difficult to use some sort of location device on fuel trucks ar any hazmat operational vehicle. I think a tax break incentive to companies who fall into this catagory to install such a thing is a great idea. I think this would be a good place for FEMA to step up in its HAZUS program and offer free online tracking software to those companies who buy the equipment.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join