It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Missing Fuel Tankers in San Antonio TX - Found in Laredo

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Lighten up. Propane is a fuel just like gasoline. Do you think that every time a trucker goes in a diner and eats he has a friggin security guard stand by his truck?

People are so quick to point fingers and call for drastic measures. There are literally thousands of L.P. trucks running around the country. They're busy filling L.P. stations that are owned by mom and pops, who go out and fill tanks (each of which could blow up your home) at farms where people fuel their homes with L.P. NO...we don't need guards anywhere. It is calls for measures like this that lead to people not being able to heat their homes because they had to pay for a security guard at every truckstop.

Stop the madness and get real. They can kill you with bat #. Just start doing your own part instead of trying to put the clamps on other people's lives.

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 09:53 PM
link   
GPS units on all HazMat trucks over a reasonable amount of time starting with the most dangerous working down to the less useful for terrorists would be an added cost that I would be glad to bear as a consumer, yes guards are to expensive considering the sheer number of vehicles involved. GPS is pretty much a onetime cost except for the monitoring contract but I don't think its all that expensive to monitor once installed.

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phoenix
GPS units on all HazMat trucks over a reasonable amount of time starting with the most dangerous working down to the less useful for terrorists :

GPS or not if they want to blow something up I don't think it will matter much.stop and think about it if you are already willing to die ,not much is going to stop you

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Highjacking trucks is a big buisness. Just ask Tony Soprano.

How many trucks were stolen on a regular basis before 911?

I'll bet its about about the same number that are stolen now.

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Thanks Pheonix, I forgot about those guys. Damn alphabet soup of news

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by HowardRoark
Highjacking trucks is a big buisness. Just ask Tony Soprano.

If I was going to steal a truck to resale the contents,I would be smart and steal a GAS truck not propane and who is Tony Soprano??

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Call me stupid here, but HOW THE HELL DOES ANYONE steal a tanker truck with thousands of gallons of propane?... I can't believe it could be that easy. and how do they get away with it??

Its not like something like this is hard to find.

Gazz

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Well it depends on your distribution set up. In Texas, propane distribution is a big buisness,

on the other hand, maybe Dale Gribble is right, it is all part of a government conspiracy.

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I didn't see anything in the report that said they were stolen from a truck stop. Is there another link? Since the report said the company employees found them missing when they came back Tues. from the memorial day weekend, I just thought it would have been a facility. ????? I still believe if it is a facility they need guards.

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
Yay!

We haven't seen a stolen tanker terror alert in over 60 days.

What's in them this time?

# thatll make a nasty bomb.

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 10:53 PM
link   
So let me get this straight because I am confused.

It is only terrorist related if they find that an Arab or Muslim hijacked the tanker and it is not terrorist related if some white guy hijacked the tanker?

Interesting...

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 10:56 PM
link   

and who is Tony Soprano??

He used to do the voice for the pillsbury dough boy and he was also a known felon for grand theft auto

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illmatic67

It is only terrorist related if they find that an Arab or Muslim hijacked the tanker and it is not terrorist related if some white guy hijacked the tanker?

Interesting...

Whats interesting is how you are so quick to spew your mindless "poor picked on me" crap. Where in this thread was a Muslim or Arab called a terrorist? Last time I checked, McVeigh was considered one.
You are just trying to cause a fight.

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Interesting...

You are quite right about being confused. It would be terrorist related if it was stolen by a terrorist and then used to commit a terrorist act. Neither or these has happened. It is a theft, plain and simple.

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 11:49 PM
link   
I'm really ticked off at my computer right now. It keeps crashing. I tried to type up a long article on this post but it crashed so I'll try to be more brief this time.

Here it goes:

Two trucks taken at the same time never happens down here.

Two full trucks are never taken. Usually these trucks are stolen for the tanks. They take them to Mexico and sell them to companies south of the boarder to transport their own product.

According to the local media, CBS, ABC, NBC, FOX, WB, the crooks passed up several empty trucks, why? They are much easier to steal, not as heavy, nothing sloshing around.

Fifteen portable propane bottles were stolen from a local hospital at the same time as the trucks according to KHOU - local CBS. These can be used as fuses to set off the propane in the main tanks. The trucks are well protected but with the right knowlege they can be used as bombs. It takes a knowlege of what the best temperture and pressure is to allow the propane to reach it's flash point along with the knowlege of the main tanks construction.

Didn't bin ladin's gang blow up some building in Saudi a while back using pressurized gas?

I dont want to get much deeper into this until I know more about it but I certainly think it may be something to concern the average person. I dont think these guys are going around selling propane but also I would like to point out there is a huge market for it here. That show King Of The Hill, it's really like that here. If they did steal it to sell then God help them if Hank Hill finds out!

Personally I think something is stinky about this. That amount of propane can do major damage to a refinery. There's no security to speak of around the plants. Hell, anybody can get within 10 feet of them just playing stupid. (Duh... I'm sorry I didn't know that was a 100.000 gallon tank of gas I just threw that there cigar at!)

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Interesting...

What's interesting is not one poster in this entire thread up to your post made referance to any Arab or Muslim hijacking anything nor was it insinuated that Muslims or Arabs were the only ones who were terrorists.

[Edited on 6/1/2004 by Sinobyte]

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Didn't bin ladin's gang blow up some building in Saudi a while back using pressurized gas?

Yes a tanker was used as a truck bomb in saudi arabia in 1996

I just read the CNN article it said

The FBI and San Antonio police said propane thefts were common in south Texas, given its proximity to northern Mexico

So I dont think there is too much to worry about though the thing about the hospital missing propane kind of adds more concern to the situation. But I havent seen that yet except for TXConspriacyNut's post.

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 12:20 AM
link   
You wanted Fox, here is Fox:
www.foxnews.com...

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 03:43 AM
link   
"Umm I can give to shakes about expensive vehicles, don't ya think they would/should report explosive vehicles?"

No not really, Pretty much any petrol based vehicle is explosive. More to the point, its far far more likely these things were stolen in order to sell the propane than in order to blow something up. But you can deduce the likelihood that these thefts were bomb related using the following stats.

Number of fuel hauling trucks stolen every year = lots
Number of fuel hauling trucks used to blow things up in America between 2004 and 1960 Not including those depicted in the Terminator franchise = none
Likelihood that the trucks were stolen for reasons other than global terrorism = petty bloody high.

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 03:56 AM
link   
In response to allegations of racism. . .

I seem to remember a few white guys. . .Theodore
Kaczynski, Timothy McVeigh, Terry Nichols, or Eric Rudolph to name a few. . .whom I would not like to see in illegal possession of a coupla tanker trucks.

I don't feel like terrorism is a matter of race at all. It's a matter of beliefs.

If I see the Red Cross (or ANY group or person) rollin' up in a stolen propane truck, I'm not gonna be cool with that.

Also, in response to some other people's comments, I've worked at a trucking company for the last 5 years. We haul freight rather than fuel, and the government safety precautions that we have to exercise on our trucks are extreme. It doesn't matter it the truck is empty, or full, or what it's full of (at least in the freight industry), you'd best keep it in check. Based on my experiences, if someone can jack a tractor trailer from your installation without an overt and hostile activity (i.e. a bunch of armed guys in ski masks), someone has either SERIOUSLY dropped the ball or is on the "bad guy" payroll.

I should hope the regulations in place on fuel tankers are at least as strict as the regulations on freight rigs.

Just my opinions.

--J1M

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join