It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Army Recruiting..THEN vs NOW! See how it has changed.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 05:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Beinion
If this comes across as disrespectful, please understand that's certainly not my intent. I am somewhat ignorant when it comes to the culture of the military, and don't understand certain facets of it, so perhaps the videos do not have the same meaning for me as what they were intended for.

It would seem to me that ignorance of military ways would provide you with a better insight here. These ads are not aimed at career military people, they are aimed at people sitting at home doing nothing with little to no knowledge of the military.

[edit on 3/13/10 by evil incarnate]

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 05:20 AM
link   
reply to post by rcwj1975

Those are the cheesiest lyrics I've ever heard. I'm curious as to where this idea that fighting aggressive wars on foreign soil is somehow defending freedom at home came from.

Very few wars in our history have supported freedom or defend the Constitution and only a handful have been justifiable at all.

I turn the channel when I see the propaganda commercials on TV and when phoned by a recruiter a few years ago and asked why I didn't want to join I replied "I don't want to die in a contrived and fraudulent war" the lady on the other line just replied with an "Oh..." followed by an awkward silence.

I know for a fact the majority of people in the military are good decent ordinary folks who do make sacrifices and we certainly need a military for defense against threats foreign and domestic... I just wish the people in charge weren't so willing to send our relatives and friends into the line of fire for their own ends.

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by rcwj1975

Originally posted by rotorwing
I earned my beret, and wore it proudly as crew and birds transitioned to the Airforce. We were still there as Army crew to fly Army missions in Airforce aircraft.

rotorwing...I am unsure if you took offense to my post, (the part about being bitter to losing our black beret), or if your just stating that your proud of your service? Let me know, cause if your mad at me for being bitter about what happened to the black beret, then we need to discuss it...

Either way thanks for your service!

I think you and I are on the same page! My beret was was earned in 58 days of as close to dead as I want to come w/o actually passing on. It was an outward sign that I had been there. I was mostly an insertion/extraction pilot for the Rangers and SF...and I volunteered for Ranger School because I thought it was important to be connected to the youg men I was flying. I was darn proud of that beret and the Ranger Tab...

Suddenly the Army decided that all should have the beret...

You are welcome for the service, and thank-you for yours! Also thank-you for the post...

[edit on 3/13/2010 by rotorwing]

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by rotorwing

If it was up to me I would wear a PC or a boonie. Berets are overrated and don't block much sun light during summer time in El Paso. I guess some standards will never change.

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stop-loss!

If it was up to me I would wear a PC or a boonie. Berets are overrated and don't block much sun light during summer time in El Paso. I guess some standards will never change.

grin...i agree...most of my time was in a helmet! It's still a soldier and a brother/sister under the hat...soo...thanks for your service!

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by rotorwing

Originally posted by Stop-loss!

grin...i agree...most of my time was in a helmet! It's still a soldier and a brother/sister under the hat...soo...thanks for your service!

Heh. I am reminded of the pilots that fly the chinnoks and blackhawks that come to my FOB and see those helmets and wonder just how heavy are those things and do they really stop anything? Anyways thank you for your kindness. Its good to not get :bash: for what I do for a living especially when my time is drawing to a close.

Best wishes,
Stop-loss!

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Propaganda is propaganda no matter the decade. Sure the videos have changed but so have kids, the message is still the same.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   
To be honest, the first video seems extremely cheesy to me, having recently graduated from high school, I've seen a lot of military recruiters, and if they had shown me the first video, I probably would have laughed at how cheesy it was.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 03:26 AM
link   
EVERYTHING has changed in the Army from the time I got out (1997) til now, I'd love to go back in and wear that uniform again, but I wouldnt cut it, Standards are lower, the type of soldier being produced in basic is even lacking, that includes Co-ed basic training, a HUGE mistake IMHO... you know they dont even do the traditional head shave anymore?

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Hmm. I didn't join the military for any ideologic reasons. I joined it because I couldn't find a civilian job that paid well. Plus, I wanted to get my bachelors. I got a good paying job and I finished my bachelors.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Accidentally posted twice.

[edit on 12-7-2010 by LightofLiberty]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join